Follow

Green Power Ring

Object » Green Power Ring appears in 3238 issues.

The power ring of a Green Lantern is the source of power and a badge of authority for almost every member of the Green Lantern Corps. It is fueled by willpower.

Green Lantern: Beginner's Guide to the Power Ring

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
    Power rings don't come up with blood on them.
    Power rings don't come up with blood on them.

Once, while teaming up with the Justice League for a story arc in JLA, Dream of Neil Gaiman’s SANDMAN described Green Lantern’s signature weapon as a wishing ring. For all the cosmology and lore that’s been written into it, that might actually be the most succinct way to describe the power ring. Martin Nodell, the creator of the original Green Lantern (Alan Scott) reportedly drew inspiration from the story of Aladdin and, when you think about it, a wishing ring would fit just as well into 1,001 ARABIAN NIGHTS as a magic lamp. And it's just as unusual a weapon for a hero to wield in place of a sword, hammer or shield.

If you demonstrate a great amount of willpower - - enough to overcome strong human emotions like fear — then slipping this piece of jewelry on will allow you to manifest anything you can imagine. Picture a baseball bat in your mind’s eye and this thing will instantly conjure a “construct” that looks like a hickory slugger (only it’s actually made out of hard light, of course.) The only limit is your imagination, which might actually be more limited than you’d think. If you’re a fighter pilot like Hal Jordan, your constructs are going to be basic objects like baseball gloves and giant fists whose details are positively rudimentary when compared to the complex, creative constructs imagined by a professional artist like Kyle Rayner. Similarly, if you’re a military man like John Stewart, your constructs will generally stick to the tools you know — that is, assault rifles, rocket launchers, combat fatigues and the like.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

Thing is, conjuring constructs and giving wearers the usual flight and super-strength combo is only scraping the service of what a Green Lantern's power ring offers. This is why the wishing ring descriptor’s an apt one. See, this precious little thing can also…

• Probe and control minds
    • Manipulate matter
    • Heal wounds
    • Enable intangibility
    • Move objects telekinetically
    • Regulate temperatures
    • Open dimensional worm holes
    • Alter people’s shapes, sizes and appearances
    • Allow for communication over great distances
    • Absorb many kinds of energy
    • Create other, identical rings

Perhaps the more useful question then is… what can’t a power ring do?

No Caption Provided

Well, you can’t use the thing if runs out of power. Thus, you have to recharge it pretty regularly with a power battery. Since that battery channels energy directly from the central core at Oa, you’re really out of luck if the core’s somehow disabled or if something interferes with that flow of energy. Make sure you don’t run into a Red Lantern, because they’ve got a nasty ability to drain the charge out of your ring. Conversely, try to find a Blue Lantern whenever you can, because they can give your charge a boost. Also, if something starts diminishing your willpower — if you succumb to fear, if you doubt yourself, if you abuse drugs, etc. — then you won’t be able to wield the power ring properly.

For a long time, a GL's power ring couldn’t work on anything colored yellow. Yes, if you put on a yellow rain coat, you’d have a better chance to kick a GL’s ass because his constructs couldn’t do anything to you. That was because the fear entity, Parallax, once lurked inside the central Oa battery and the “yellow impurity” of its presence spread throughout all the rings like a horrible sickness. Of course, Parallax was expunged from the battery a while back (long story) so nobody needs to worry about that.

There. If by some astronomical circumstance, an alien crash lands in your backyard and selects you as his replacement Green Lantern in this sector, you'll know enough about the power ring ahead of time that you won't even need to look at the manual.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

Enough with the Green Lantern crap

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Golden Cod
    @cattlebattle said:
    Blasphemy! :O
    Dfense75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dfense75

I'll take a Sinestro ring thanks.

sithfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 57

#4  Edited By sithfrog

While not the biggest GL fan, it makes sense to discuss and educate people about all things GL, what with the movie coming out soon and all.  I am sure some people were getting sick of the X-Men articles, quests, etc. that preceded the release of X-Men: First Class. 

Thanks for the info!
    Avatar image for surrender_monkey
    Surrender Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Surrender Monkey

Thanks for alluding to the red, blue and sinestro corps !!

SupremoMaximo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By SupremoMaximo

So since if the constructs come from what you know about... Does that make Guy Gardner's weapons in the form of a douche?

DarkMatter23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By DarkMatter23

@Golden Cod: agree

DarkMatter23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DarkMatter23

I always thought that when a GL member (2814 sector kind) uses their ring to construct a machine gun as a weapon, it was lacking in imagination. I mean, you have only your mind as a limitation. You can construct anything and they would choose a weapon that they could use during a war on earth.If I had a ring I would construct a million Joan Rivers and have them yap the ears off my enemies to death. Mix it up a little bit, you know.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Gambit1024

Funny, I've never seen Hal do almost any of those things.

DarkMatter23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DarkMatter23

@cattlebattle: using the same parlance as used in the Hip Hop communnity, "Don't Hate".

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Awesome article, another good "idiot's guide", but this time concerning the very heart of what makes one into a GL!

fitchy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By fitchy101
    @Golden Cod said:
    @cattlebattle said:
    sladewilson30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#13  Edited By sladewilson30

i already have a gl ring

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#14  Edited By cbishop

@Gambit1024: then you haven't been reading any pre-Emerald Twilight Hal Jordan tales.  Hal's predilection for "goofy green fists" was why the editor mandated that Kyle could never make the same construct twice.  That mandate has carried over to Hal, since his return to life, which I have thought was unfortunate. 

While I can see how readers would get bored seeing the same constructs all the time, I never thought that it made Hal a weaker character than Kyle Rayner.  There's substantial merit in "not reinventing the wheel."  If a "goofy green fist" packs the same powerring wallop as a powerring-created fire-breathing dragon (and it does) then why waste time coming up with a new construct every time?  Project a fist from the ring and wail on the badguy.  I would say that Kyle making a new construct every time is more about relieving his own boredom, than about any greater power from the ring, because the ring puts out exactly as much power as the wearer's willpower can assert.  I'd say projecting a fist every time allows for greater concentration and more willpower each time, than the distraction of imagining something new each time.  ...But I've gotten a little off topic. 

The ring can also split atoms, per Kyle's admission to the JLA. 

Nice article, Tom.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KEROGA

wouldnt mind more info on the other colored rings 
    dewboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By dewboy01

Imagination! anything u can believe, just make it happen!
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

What affect do the other spectrums have on a green lantern?

Herx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Herx

Now that's if you find a dying alien who gives you a ring, but if you find a lantern on an express train that explodes just stay away from anything made from wood.... Though the chances of that happening are significantly more less likely to happen than the whole dying alien thing. :P

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Golden Cod
    @DarkMatter23 said:

I always thought that when a GL member (2814 sector kind) uses their ring to construct a machine gun as a weapon, it was lacking in imagination. I mean, you have only your mind as a limitation. You can construct anything and they would choose a weapon that they could use during a war on earth.If I had a ring I would construct a million Joan Rivers and have them yap the ears off my enemies to death. Mix it up a little bit, you know.

It's definitely a shortcoming of the writers.   You'd expect an organization as culturally and ethnically diverse as the GL would come up with some innovative uses for their object.   I don't mind Hal's lack of creative use of the ring because he's always been a bit of straight-laced character who focuses purely on willpower, but Kyle, a character whose background is that of an illustrator, should be showcasing his creativity through the ring.
    Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Kal'smahboi
    @william knowles said:
    Imagination! anything u can believe, just make it happen!
    Imagination
    Imagination
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jotham

Hmm, half expected this guide to start with: "Your new POWER RING and you! Now that you've been appointed Green Lantern of your sector, you probably have some questions..."

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jotham

No Caption Provided
    Seriously, Green Lantern.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#24  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

For a long time, a GL's power ring couldn’t work on anything colored yellow. Yes, if you put on a yellow rain coat, you’d have a better chance to kick a GL’s ass because his constructs couldn’t do anything to you.

LMFBO!!!! xD
    umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#25  Edited By umbrafeline
    @SupremoMaximo:  lol
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @Tom Pinchuk:  Great article, since i now understadn how to use the ring does that mean i will be being sent one, iam free to protect a sector somewhere.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By goldenkey

Im not saying it doesn't go these things, but I have a few questiongs 
    where has it controlled someones mind? 
    open a worm hole? 
    enable intangability? 
    alter someone shape and size? 
    heal wound? 
    I'm curious
    dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dorsk188
    @cattlebattle said:
    lol, I love the internet.
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kallarkz
    @AirDave817 said:
    What affect do the other spectrums have on a green lantern?
    The Light of the Blue Lanterns charges a Green Lantern Ring. Normally when they charge their rings with their power batteries of the Central battery the maximum charge their ring can hold is 100%. When with a Blue Lantern their rings can go past this charge limit.  

The energies of a Red Lantern can drain the power of a Green Lantern Ring and they can be burned by their red fire. 

And as the author of this thread stated before the Green Lanterns were unable to affect anything with the color yellow. This impurity was placed in the battery a while back and was removed BUT Rookie lanterns are still unable to affect anything with the color yellow if they have not fully overcome their fears. So a Rookie Green lantern can be easily defeated by a member of the Sinestro Corps if they have fear in their hearts still.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cattlebattle
    @DarkMatter23 said:

@cattlebattle: using the same parlance as used in the Hip Hop communnity, "Don't Hate".

@dorsk188 said:
    @cattlebattle said:
    lol, I love the internet.
    Just saying....of all the news about comic related business there is ...(Fear Itself: Unstoppable Colossus, Spider-Mans New game where he is killed, Other things) Comicvine repeatedly offers these  articles that contain information you can just look up on this site.
    justafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By justafan
    @Golden Cod said:
    @DarkMatter23 said:

It's definitely a shortcoming of the writers.   You'd expect an organization as culturally and ethnically diverse as the GL would come up with some innovative uses for their object.   I don't mind Hal's lack of creative use of the ring because he's always been a bit of straight-laced character who focuses purely on willpower, but Kyle, a character whose background is that of an illustrator, should be showcasing his creativity through the ring.
    Kyle does lots of the time ex: robots w/ guns, ninjas, viking warriors, samurais, a giant samurai robot armor, superman, a pug, a teddy bear, etc. 
    darkcloakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By darkcloakx

thanks for the green lantern info.

mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mark5
    @goldenkey said:
    Im not saying it doesn't go these things, but I have a few questiongs where has it controlled someones mind? open a worm hole? enable intangability? alter someone shape and size? heal wound? I'm curious
    yes to all of that.  
    He also forgot it can make them invisible.  

Great article Tom!!
    mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mark5
    @Golden Cod said:

@DarkMatter23 said:

one of the many things i hated about Green Lantern: First Flight. They other lanterns ,save from Jordan's ocassional construct,never made an effort to create actual viable constructs. It was all shooting this narrow beam of energy from their ring and flying around. i mean seriously? 

Btw kyle Rayner makes very create constructs, he made heaven's ladder, a pirate ship in space, several space ships, a electrocuting chair, a huge anime style mega gun, a hammer wielding thor construct, a laptop, a 3 headed green fire breathing dragon, an iron man like armor and lots more. he's my favorite lantern. Check out his respect threads here and on KMC
    virgin4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By virgin4life

Can I imagine a 'bullet that can kill anyone' and fire it at superman or darkseid or anyone and kill them?

virgin4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By virgin4life

Do certain GL's bullets hurt more than others due to will power?  What if John and Hal imagine the same gun with regular bullets... will they do the same damage?  Do they do more damage than a real gun ?

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Kallarkz
    @virgin4life said:

Do certain GL's bullets hurt more than others due to will power?  What if John and Hal imagine the same gun with regular bullets... will they do the same damage?  Do they do more damage than a real gun ?

Yes. Some GLs are stronger than others and their constructs can cause more damage. And if they will their constructs to be as effective as a regular gun they will hit like a regular gun...but they can increase the damage their contrcuts do by willing it. 

Like everyone is always saying: It depends on the imagination of the user.
    virgin4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By virgin4life
    @Kallarkz said:
    @virgin4life said:

Yes. Some GLs are stronger than others and their constructs can cause more damage. And if they will their constructs to be as effective as a regular gun they will hit like a regular gun...but they can increase the damage their contrcuts do by willing it. 

I can imagine a bomb that would destroy the universe... so can any GL destroy the universe?
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Kallarkz
    @virgin4life said:
    @Kallarkz said:
    @virgin4life said:

I can imagine a bomb that would destroy the universe... so can any GL destroy the universe?
    Ones will can exceed the capabilities of the ring as shown when John attempted to recreate a solar system.
    virgin4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By virgin4life
    @Kallarkz said:
    @virgin4life said:
    @Kallarkz said:
    @virgin4life said:

Ones will can exceed the capabilities of the ring as shown when John attempted to recreate a solar system.
    that construct is big tho... my idea would be a small one
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kallarkz
    @virgin4life said:
    @Kallarkz said:
    @virgin4life said:
    @Kallarkz said:
    @virgin4life said:

that construct is big tho... my idea would be a small one
    in size yes but not effect.
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By Eyz
    @cattlebattle said:
    Nobody forced you to check out this post!
    I don't check out the things that don't interest me either :P
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By NightFang3
    @Golden Cod said:
    @cattlebattle said:
    Hang the nonbeliever!!!
    nick7913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By nick7913

Minor comment: Aladdin actually first gets a  jinni when he inadvertently rubs the ring on his finger. He gets a second, more powerful one when he rubs the lamp. Which might be why the original creators of Alan Scott made both the ring and the lantern a part of their creation. 
    Also, if a Green Lantern creates a Silver Surfer with his ring, will it kick Kyle's butt? ;-)

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

makes sense. makes you wonder if parralax will return during the reboot

dewboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By dewboy01

U all also forget the rings have limited necromancy, since green lantern:first flight.
    Ston3face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ston3face

Grats on successful use of the word succinct.

mgrman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mgrman5

@No_name_here: Can a Green Lantern power ring make constructs in other colors like blue, yellow, or red and can they make fire or electricity from their rings instead of hard light energy.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

To hell with your GL ring, give me my goddamn Sinestro Corps ring.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.