Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2501 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

What do you guys think of the new Green Lantern creative teams?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By JakeN7

Issue #20 will be the last issue for all current Green Lantern creative teams, it will be the conclusion to the Wrath of the First Lantern arc, and it will be the end to Geoff John's 8 year-long run. The new creative teams were announced on MTV.com as well as a new title to add to the Green Lantern family of books.

Below are a list of the new creative teams, as well as links to the interviews that MTV conducted with all of them.

Promotional art by new Green Lantern artist Billy Tan
    Promotional art by new Green Lantern artist Billy Tan

To be honest you guys, I feel pretty skeptical. That promotional art looks great, but I feel as though the colors are way off. The green looks way too bright and almost has a neon look to it. Kyle also looks less like the White Lantern and more like the Silver Lantern. Not sure who was the colorist for that, but I don't like it very much. Hopefully the book will see plenty of different colorists on it. Also, the creative team behind Green Lantern has zero experience with Green Lantern (which they touched upon in the interviews that I linked above.) I also don't recognize any of the names besides Kieth Giffen and Joshua Hale Fialkov. Apparently, Robert Venditti (new Green Lantern writer) is currently writing the excellent (from what I've heard) X-O Manowar title, and Demon Knights. Green Lantern will also go back to being primarily Hal's book which is a little disappointing to me. I love Simon Baz, and I don't want his only appearance to be in Justice League of America. The uncertainty of his future in the Green Lantern books is what annoys me the most.

It also sounds like Kyle Rayner the White Lantern and the New Guardians may be replacing the void of emotion, blue-skinned, Guardians of the Universe (according to a quote from the new writer Justin Jordan: "But in the wake of the events in Geoff's final issues of "Green Lantern," things have changed, so we are taking the book in a new direction. Lots of changes there. For one thing, the title has just become a lot more literal.") That will be really interesting to see.

At the end of the day though, it's going to be near impossible to follow-up Geoff Johns, so I can only hope for the best for all of these teams. Can't wait for Larfleeze! Looks really interesting and I hope it's funny...

So what do you guys think?

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Sy8000

Personally, I love the idea of Kyle staying as a white lantern. The writers will have to dilute his power of course, (Though i'm starting to suspect the third army decemation was just MANIFESTATION of power) but its really something to look forward to. While i'm fine with the main title being Hal's title, i'd trade him for Simon Baz any day. That guy deserves his own title. I liked red lanterns before ROTTA, and hopefully they'll get that feel back. I'm wondering what the new guardians line up will be, and how their supposed to fit the guardians shoes. Also, the writers may be gambling a bit with all the new characters.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SmashBrawler

Super excited. Venditti, Fialkov and Giffen are all fantastic, and I've heard great things of Justin Jordan as well.

Interesting that you bring up the colors from that cover, because it was colored by Alex Sinclair, regular Green Lantern colorist. I remember a time when he colored a BTDK cover and DC completely butchered his job. This looks like a very similar case.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By 2chimcha3

Super excited for Venditti. He's awesome and this is a great opportunity for him. I also hope Kyle stays White Lantern.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By JakeN7

@highaccuser said:

Personally, I love the idea of Kyle staying as a white lantern. The writers will have to dilute his power of course, (Though i'm starting to suspect the third army decemation was just MANIFESTATION of power) but its really something to look forward to. While i'm fine with the main title being Hal's title, i'd trade him for Simon Baz any day. That guy deserves his own title. I liked red lanterns before ROTTA, and hopefully they'll get that feel back. I'm wondering what the new guardians line up will be, and how their supposed to fit the guardians shoes. Also, the writers may be gambling a bit with all the new characters.

Dude. Your post is perfect. I agree with everything you said (minus the part about Red Lanterns because I haven't ever read that book.) I love the idea of Kyle as the White Lantern, and was extremely surprised to find out that he's going to stay that way for the foreseeable future. I'm stoked to see how they'll incorporate Kyle and the New Guardians into possible replacements for the Guardians as well.

I totally agree about what you said about Green Lantern. I like Hal a lot and it should definitely be his book, but Baz definitely deserves his own as well.

@SmashBrawler said:

Super excited. Venditti, Fialkov and Giffen are all fantastic, and I've heard great things of Justin Jordan as well.

Interesting that you bring up the colors from that cover, because it was colored by Alex Sinclair, regular Green Lantern colorist. I remember a time when he colored a BTDK cover and DC completely butchered his job. This looks like a very similar case.

Ah I see, that makes sense. Very interesting. Hopefully if he does anymore work for Green Lantern then it'll look better because out of all the comics out there, the Green Lantern books need excellent colorists due to the sheer amount of bright, exuberant colors throughout the interiors.

@sagejonathan said:

Super excited for Venditti. He's awesome and this is a great opportunity for him. I also hope Kyle stays White Lantern.

Totally agreed. I've only heard good things about this guy.

I also love Kyle as a White Lantern and hope he stays that way for awhile.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By the_tree

I'm fairly excited.

X-O Manowar has been pretty great, so hopefully that means Venditti will be able to deliver something on par with that for Green Lantern. I hope that that picture of Tan's art isn't indicative of what the book will look like, though, it looks awful. It looks like the picture was originally small, and then someone made it a larger size and the picture resolution just turned to s###.

I'm really excited to see Keith Giffen on Larfleeze, that's my most anticipated title. I adore Larfleeze, he's hilarious and definitely has some room to grow as a character. Giffen is easily one of my favorite writers, too, so having him on more books is never a bad thing.

It's also great to see Fialkov and Jordan getting work on books that are pretty unlikely to get cancelled. I'll be checking these out sometime down the line. Although I'm a little bit concerned on how Jordan will keep Kyle challenged as a White Lantern.

Like others have said, I would've also liked to have seen Baz get a book of his own.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.