Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2501 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Tim Robbins in Green Lantern

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

This pose IS Hammond-esque.
     This pose IS Hammond-esque.
    Three stars makes for a good time, but four makes it a party! Tim Robbins has signed on to star in the GREEN LANTERNmovie. Who could he be playing? Maybe  Sinestro? Possibly  Ganthet? Potentially  Kilowog?  

Who's this guy's father?
     Who's this guy's father?

No, according to the Hollywood Reporter, he’s actually playing Senator Hammond, the “disapproving father” of the psychic-powered Hector Hammond, who’ll be played by Peter Sarsgaard. They’ll be joining Ryan Reynolds, of course, who’ll be starring as “Highball” Hal Jordanand Blake Lively, who’ll portray Jordan’s sometimes-girlfriend and sometimes-supervillainess, Carol Ferris.

THR’s Heat Vision adds a little aside to mention that this will actually be Robbins’ second comic-based movie second role in over 23 years.   Now, you know what that really means…

TRIVIA TIME!

Pull up a bowl of Buffalo wings, put on your thinking cap and strap on your trivia… goggles. See if you can guess the name of Robbins’ prior comics connection before I finish counting down these hints.

1. It was one of the first (if not the first, actually) Marvel properties to get a big screen adaptation. 
    2. It also starred Jeffery Jones and Leigh Thompson, who performed a rock show theme song at the end.  
    3.  It was one of George Lucas’ only bombs at the box office and has often been called one of the worst movies ever. 
    4.  The main character practiced a bird-based martial art that was NOT crane-style kung fu. 
    5.  If the movie were made in today’s health-conscious climate, said main character would probably have to stamp out his stogie.

Have you guessed? Were those blue’s clues adequate?

It was…

Photographic Proof Positive.
     Photographic Proof Positive.

That’s right - - the HOWARD THE DUCK movie from ‘86.   Aside from Robbins starring in it and it being based on a comic, the movie has nothing to do with Martin Campbell’s GREEN LANTERN.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By King_Saturn
    oh god... I forgot he was in Howard the Duck
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By NightFang3

It's alway's good to see big time star's in more heroe movie's.

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

Goodness! For a moment there, I thought it said Tim Robbins IS The Green Lantern! Phwew! I remember Beverly finding Howard's little condom. How cute!

MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MemnochZERO

Actually this will be his third comic book film, the second being Iron Man 2.
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

Tim Robbins is in Iron Man 2? Nice! Still cautiously optimistic about this Green Lantern movie...
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

I don't care what any one says Tim Curry could play a damn good Sinestro

MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MemnochZERO
    @AirDave817 said:
    "Tim Robbins is in Iron Man 2? Nice! Still cautiously optimistic about this Green Lantern movie... "

Oh my bad.  I just went to double check and it's since been debunked. :( 
    Originally what i'd read was he'd be playing Howard Stark in a flashback, apparently that's not the case. I feel like a total ass right now. Anyway, Robbins being in this film is a good thing I guess. Helps balance out the aweful decision to cast Blake Lively as Reynold's BOSS.
    Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Chane

A good addition

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Moomin123

I think Robbins would've been better as Alan Scott.
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Theodore

I knew it was Howard the Duck haha!

Avatar image for emerald_warrior
    Emerald Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Emerald Warrior

Nothing bad to say about this. I cannot wait for this movie!!! Now... has Hal been re-casted yet?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.