Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2504 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

"Green Lantern: Blackest Night" #45 Reviewed!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

"Green Lantern: Blackest Night" #45 Reviewed!

"Green Lantern: Blackest Night" #45
    Written by: Geoff Johns
    Art by: Doug Mahnke

There is not a lot I haven't liked about " Blackest Night," thus far, but I will admit that this was not my favorite book that came out this past week. It was good, but Geoff Johns has written far better. Enough of the negativity though, let's focus on what was great about this issue! We open up to Green Lantern John Stewart hovering over this massive black planet  with a Black Lantern symbol  emblazoned on it's surface. The image is pretty compelling, and speaks volumes; but what, exactly, does it mean? Unfortunately we do not find out in this issue, as there is a digression away from this scene which we never return to. This particular issue is primarily about Carol Ferris, which is pretty neat if you are looking to learn more about her. I feel Ferris' character is often underestimated as well as undermined; but Johns depicts her as being pretty powerful. Love hurts, and you can tell that Carol knows all about that. It is an emotion that can empower as well as cripple you, and Johns really captures that aspect of Carol's character. She is clearly seen as being very powerful, which is noted in the way she overrides the commands of her ring; but the fact that her motivation is Hal Jordan can be considered a weakness. We open to her inner monologue which focuses on her relationship with Hal Jordan. This scene she really emphasizes the importance of Hal in her life, and that the primary reason why she is a Star Sapphire is because she wants to help him. While I commend her character for being selfless in that she wants to put another person's life before her own, why does he have to be her motivation? Why can't Carol love being a Star Sapphire and appreciate all that it represents? You have all the power in the world and the only reason you roll out of bed in the morning is because you're crazy about this man who doesn't love you anymore? PSSHH, girl that's weak; not to mention  a bad example for little girls everywhere. 

There is a great scene in this issue that showcases Carol's power and really delves into the more sensitive side of Sinestro; (I know, I didn't think he had one, either). It is hinted toward the end that the Indigo Tribe will hold a pretty prominent role in the upcoming issues, and that they will play a major part in the Blackest Night story arc. As I previously stated, this issue does a fantastic job showcasing Carol's power and I really enjoyed that. While I feel that it was a fun read and for the most part really well written, I am unsure whether it is essential to your reading of Blackest Night. What did you think?
    ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ryanwh

It didn't really reveal much as far as the overarching story. The Sinestro thing is sorta interesting but he's not changing anytime soon. Really even bringing it up just makes me think this previously unknown wife of his is going to pop back into his life somehow. If I had to put money down I'd say she turns out to be an Indigo. And if whatever happened to her turns out to be the catalyst for his desire to have a superorganized universe, then I guess her showing up could be a big deal and possibly change him. Dunno how I'd feel about a reformed Sinestro, though. 

As for the Saphires themselves, the whole concept just seems silver age to me. Really, a girls only pink lantern? Of course she has shallow motivations.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By No_Name_
    @ryanwh: What about Carol becoming an Indigo lantern? It kind of makes sense. She's compassionate towards Hal, and she can override the Star Sapphire ring...That would be so weird!
    King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By King Quisling

This issue was very "AW! Sinestro does have a heart! How Sweet! " :P

themaskedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By themaskedhero

I liked this issue more then the last issue with Hal, Flash and Manhunter.  I didn't mind the fact that we didn't get any Hal (even though he's the title character), because we got a look into everyone else and even if it was jumbled it was really good. I did find it confusing when the Black Lanterns got their own version of Mogo, but I'm guessing it will come together eventually and it being Xanshi won't hurt.

I'm looking forward to seeing Carol going all crazy if she becomes the host of the Predator like we've seen with Ion. I love the scene with Larfleeze, best new character of 2009 for me. 

People for the Production of a Green Lantern Documentary : http://bit.ly/12Sh1J

Avatar image for StrongProtector
    StrongProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5  Edited By StrongProtector

The most telling part of this issue was the opening page with John Stewart. I get they wanted to add more layers to Sinestro, which is all nice and good, but John Stewart's spread was the biggest part of this issue because of the ramifications that come from this. Clearly he is hovering above the planet Xanshi, the planet he was unable to save back in Cosmic Odyssey. 

This means at some point we are looking at a planet sized rumble between Black Lantern Planet Xanshi and Green Lantern Planet Mogo. Also, if I remember correctly, Xanshi was populated, which of course is why it weighs so heavily on the character of John Stewart as his greatest failure. This means an entire planet worth of Black Lanterns that need to be dealt with. 

Since Blackest Night so far has been mostly the greatest failures of the heroes coming back to haunt them in horribly perverse and twisted ways, it is fitting that John Stewart's greatest failure come back like this as well and it means that Blackest Night is going to get a lot worse for all the heroes involved before it gets any better. I can't wait!

Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Stormultt

Yea....they should animate this
    Avatar image for deactivated-60204c6c569bf
    deactivated-60204c6c569bf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

I felt there could have been more to this issue.  It seemed mainly to focus on Carol and, as you said, the fact that Hal Jordan seems to be her weak point.  And not just that, but Sinestro pointing that out as well.  It was if Geoff is trying to drive home the point that Carol's only doing this for Hal and the possibility of being loved back for it.  So on the one hand, she has this strength to withstand the Star Sapphire's influence and yet, at the same time, she's still trapped by the very emotion she and her corps represent.  I really want to see Carol take this role on for herself; you know, remain capable of being an individual Sapphire and not do this in hopes of some kind of unrequited love.   

Also, I'm getting abit tired of there not being any development with the different corps and the members therein.  All Sinestros that were captured in previous issues were freed.  Not a single one of them was converted.  Kryb, Karu-Sil, Kiriazis - they all returned to the Sinestro Corps.  It kind of made the whole thing pointless.  And there wasn't any scenes of individual members fighting their opposite number.  If these Corps are going to be around after the Blackest Night, I'd like to see some development.  It was nice to see Carol's brief capture of Sinestro and I hope there's even more built upon that revelation.   

The other Corps, as I said, need more page time.  All we have here is names of the Orange Lantern Corps members and the planets they're from.   I hope they do show, in at least some detail, Larfleeze's battle with them.  I like the fact that the black rings are circling Odym waiting for someone to die, though I don't think anyone there will be dying.  The Green Lanterns on Ysmault was great with Boodika going about her own orders - one of the few moments of character and plot development in the issue.  However, once the black rings showed up, we were given the names of the Five Inversions and a ring finding Laira before the story returned to Zamaron.   Also, I really do hope Johns has plans for Lyssa Drak or else she's just a wasted character now.  And I can't wait see what he does with the Risen Xanshi.     

Though there are the few good things I want to see happen, overall this issue had that feeling of an overly dramatic "Why won't you love me?" vibe and suffered from too little character development where it was needed.  Other than the Corps leaders, I have no scope of or feeling for all the others involved.  As I said, all the Sinestros were freed and unconverted so this whole part of the story was pointless.  And the one Sinestro that has been converted to a Sapphire (Fatality) didn't show.  It just seems that there is starting to be too much going on for the two regular ongoing titles to cover.  I'm starting to wish they would make Tales of the Corps a new series altogether just because of the scope of this storyline.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Mbecks14

Thought the Xanshi rise was awesome! though with the last issue when the rings were flying towards the planet, it was kinda clear as to wat was going to happen.

I feel for Carol, in the GL issue where we see that she's very lonely, and spends all her time alone, i felt deeply for her. i liked the issue, though i agree it wasn't the best. i am having a hard time deciding if Hal should end up with Carol or Jillian.

i also liked the Arin Sur thing. Sinestro's becoming my favorite villain  very very quickly. can't wait to see him battle black lantern Abin

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Nahero

it took someone long enough

i loved this issue it rocked

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By FoxxFireArt

That giant Black Lantern planet is pretty wicked. It makes for a nice tease. I've had that theory about the White Rings when I heard this story was going to be called Blackest Night and there were these Black Rings.
    In a way, I would be kind of disappointed if the White Lanterns just come swarming in to save the day last minute. I want to see everyone overcome this trial with their own power. That story would probably be called "Brightest Day".

@Babs said:

" Why can't Carol love being a Star Sapphire and appreciate all that it represents? You have all the power in the world and the only reason you roll out of bed in the morning is because you're crazy about this man who doesn't love you anymore? PSSHH, girl that's weak; not to mention  a bad example for little girls everywhere. "

This could be a really lame story idea that Geoff Johns was rejected by a girl in high school and likes the idea of him being the one blowing off the beautiful woman. lol

This could also be a teachable moment if done right. There are some girls out there who pine over a guy who has no interest in them. Perhaps in the story Carol will find her own cause and move past her infatuation. Show some girls that you are the one who defines yourself. It can be a better lesson if a character starts with a fault and over comes it. As opposed to being perfect from the start.
    crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crazed_h3ro

oh shit what is john stewert going to do now that his beloved has returned as a zombie? I kew this whould happen in green lantern#36 , when john got influenced buy Bro'Dee walker and had a vision of her,then saying "I'm going to see katama again kilowog. The universe said so."(deep stuff) star sattphire kicks some sinestro butt in this issue."John don't die man"
    burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By burr787

It makes sense that she wants to help Hal. Even though she was in love with him, they still did know each other since childhood. Or it could be based on her Father's guilt from killing Hal's father. She took over her father's business even though she wanted to be a pilot. So her 'protecting' Hal could be based on her father's wish to save Hal's father. Overall I liked this issue a lot and we got to see a different side to Sinestro.

crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crazed_h3ro
    @burr787 said:
    "It makes sense that she wants to help Hal. Even though she was in love with him, they still did know each other since childhood. Or it could be based on her Father's guilt from killing Hal's father. She took over her father's business even though she wanted to be a pilot. So her 'protecting' Hal could be based on her father's wish to save Hal's father. Overall I liked this issue a lot and we got to see a different side to Sinestro. "

hmm sinestro as a good person...star sattphire power activate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do you see Sinestro as a good person?  He fell in love with someone.  Everyone is prone to feeling love.  Doesn't make him a good person.  He even may have treated Arin well...still doesn't clear away the fact that he was a dictator to his people.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Media_Master

I didn't know Sinestro has black eyes before...

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Grendel

The moment with Larfleeze at the end was the best moment of Blackest Night so far.

Kevin87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kevin87

I thought this was the best Blackest Night related issue that Geoff Johns has written. This is the first issue of this event were I finally feel that Blackest Night has a universal ramification and not just ramifications on Earth and its heroes.  And that is what this event is suppose to be but it hasn't been shown in the main book. Hopefully we see more of what happened in this issue in the main Blackest Night book

And I going to say this right now to the hate of some readers: I am already getting sick of the Black Lanterns. Like this issue showed there are so many characters involved in this event that have yet to appear in the main book that can make the main Blackest Night book much more interesting than having just a bunch of zombie versions of dead characters attack and kill. By showing us the War of Lights it gives more balance to all the action we have gotten so far as we see interactions like the one we got with Carol and Sinestro in this issue.

Great review Babs.

bumnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bumnut
    @Stormultt said:
    "Yea....they should animate this "

You mean re-animate ;-)
    Obsurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Obsurity

Yeah I can see the possiblity of there being white lantern corps. Meaning something like life... It looks like a decent issue looking forward to getting it in the mail
    burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By burr787
    @ASKwhy said:
    " How do you see Sinestro as a good person?  He fell in love with someone.  Everyone is prone to feeling love.  Doesn't make him a good person.  He even may have treated Arin well...still doesn't clear away the fact that he was a dictator to his people. "
    He only took control because he 'feared' that the planet would fall into chaos. Most of what he has done was to make the Corps. stronger and so they would survive the Blackest Night.
    Atom Smasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Atom Smasher

I have a Theory on the planet. They hinted at it before. It's the planet that John Stewart Destroyed I haven't been into this Storyline and I'm sorry to say I won't be. I find the number of people coming back whose bodies just wouldn't at all Exsist in any form to come back to be just a little bit to much for my Comintium taste. I liked twenty years of Spidey history being erased at least it didn't effect me.
    Avatar image for surrender_monkey
    Surrender Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Surrender Monkey

Yeah, was about to say the same. I assumed it immediately after reading last issue, which was clear on the subject I thought. I remember wondering how they would appear as BLs.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By warlock360

I wouldn't call her devotion a weakness. It might actually keep her from doing things that she could of if she wouldn't be in love with hal jordan, but it also might be a attribute to her character. i mean would she be the same strong person she is now without loving hal?  just my thoughts, and yes it could be that she is xD

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By Satyrquaze

Carol Ferris: yet another example of how humans are awesome in the Green Lantern universe and aliens by and large are average to sub-par.

robbiesol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By robbiesol

I wonder who Sinestro was in love with, and I wonder if it was Hal Jordan. 

That would be bizarre. 

Avatar image for StrongProtector
    StrongProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#26  Edited By StrongProtector
    @robbiesol said:
    " I wonder who Sinestro was in love with, and I wonder if it was Hal Jordan.  That would be bizarre.   "
    It was Abin Sur's wife. They showed it when he was encased in the sapphire. 
    skirata_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By skirata_24

So the Black Lantern's have their own "Planet Lantern" now?  

Huh.  

I think this is being done to pretty much clear John Stuart's guilt over fatal mistake that has forever hung over his head. Which, personally, I think is kinda sad because I like the fact we have an Earth Green Lantern that did something terrible but them NOT having been influenced by another entity (e.g. Parallax).

robbiesol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By robbiesol
    @StrongProtector said:
    " @robbiesol said:
    " I wonder who Sinestro was in love with, and I wonder if it was Hal Jordan.  That would be bizarre.   "
    It was Abin Sur's wife. They showed it when he was encased in the sapphire.  "

Okay that is interesting.  I wonder if that will brought up if/when Abin Sur rises from the grave. 
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Moomin123

Finally Sinestro is back on the scene. Am I correct in saying that some Sinestros are still loyal to Mongul?
    Kyle C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Kyle C
    @skirata_24 said:

" So the Black Lantern's have their own "Planet Lantern" now?   Huh.   I think this is being done to pretty much clear John Stuart's guilt over fatal mistake that has forever hung over his head. Which, personally, I think is kinda sad because I like the fact we have an Earth Green Lantern that did something terrible but them NOT having been influenced by another entity (e.g. Parallax). "

Why would seeing a dead planet reborn as a twisted hollow version of its former self take away John's guilt?

If anything, it's just going to make him feel worse.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By No_Name_
    @Kyle C said:
    " Why would seeing a dead planet reborn as a twisted hollow version of its former self take away John's guilt?  If anything, it's just going to make him feel worse. "
    You win the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burr787 said:
    " @ASKwhy said:
    " How do you see Sinestro as a good person?  He fell in love with someone.  Everyone is prone to feeling love.  Doesn't make him a good person.  He even may have treated Arin well...still doesn't clear away the fact that he was a dictator to his people. "
    He only took control because he 'feared' that the planet would fall into chaos. Most of what he has done was to make the Corps. stronger and so they would survive the Blackest Night. "
    Well, that may be be how he felt...but does it make it right?  Hitler felt the same way about making a better human race, was he in the right for all that occurred?  That saying must be true then, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StrongProtector said:
    " @robbiesol said:
    It was Abin Sur's wife. They showed it when he was encased in the sapphire.  "
    Erin was Abin's sister, not wife.
    Avatar image for batarrowlantern
    batarrowlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By batarrowlantern

I thought that this was awesome it is a story from Carol Ferris point of view. See I see Carol Ferris as a combination of what you would get if you combind Lois Lane and Selina Kyle. Do you think that is a good comparrison. Also do you think that they are going to Kill Carol.

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By Dreadmaster
    @King Quisling said:
    "This issue was very "AW! Sinestro does have a heart! How Sweet! " :P "

Same here. LOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batarrowlantern: Killing Carol would be like killing Lois or Selena...she is to Hal what those two are to Clark and Bruce.  It would be like killing Dinah and having Oliver go it alone.  Carol doesn't need be taken out, she needs more exposure.  Everyone knows who Lois and Selena are, almost everyone is familiar with Dinah or at least her codename, not too many people know who Carol is.  She needs more spotlight and be developed as a recognizable character.   

The only purpose her dying would serve is to show Hal that he really does love her ... but then what?  Hal either goes about his womanizing way or he becomes celibate, devoted solely to his duty.  That would be an awful turn.  We've seen that with Bruce.  It's only been in recent years that he's had girlfriends .. and the development of his relationship with Selena ... and the revelation of his illegitimate son.  Do we really want that for Hal?
    batarrowlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By batarrowlantern
    @ASKwhy: No I do not I think that the two should settle there differences and declare a wedding date. That is if the writers are smart enough to do that

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batarrowlantern said:
    " @ASKwhy: No I do not I think that the two should settle there differences and declare a wedding date. That is if the writers are smart enough to do that "
    well, neither do I...I just don't want to see Carol in a casket, either.
    Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Blindside002

Going to start off my saying that I don't really follow the Green Lantern comics all that well But from what I have read and from what people have been saying, it seems to be like her "Love" for Hal is both her strength and her weakness. I'm not really sure if this is how it works, but it seems like her power of the emotional spectrum comes from her strong love for Hal and at the same time the fact that she is fight just for some form hope that he might still love her back is the wrong reason she is fight for him. She should be fighting for him for the simple fact that she LOVES him, rather than the hope that he will love her back. People also seem to think that she should just give up the love she has for him and move on, but it seems to me like that would actually detract from her power rather than help her. I think she should decide that she loves Hal and is willing to fight for he regardless of how he feels about her, if he does indeed love her it will happen whether or not she keeps attempting to make him love her. DC seems to have a real complex way of showing the romantic relationships between superheros which I find superior to Marvel in some ways, but at the same time the female characters seem to lack their own will to fight. As I stated before for her to become stronger, I think she needs to accept the fact that she loves him and if she wants to help him she should do it because she loves him, not to try and win him over.    
    glforthewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By glforthewin
    @Moomin123: i thought all the ones on daxam/korugar are
    batarrowlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By batarrowlantern
    @Blindside002:  
    The question is do you think after this Blackest Night thing that the writers should marry the charecters of HAl and Carol?
    Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Blindside002
    @batarrowlantern:
    Well like I said I really haven't read to much about Green Lantern. From what I have read it seems like Hal has a strong sense of duty that keeps him going, but it doesn't seem like there is anything personal to keep himself grounded so to speak. A Marriage or relationship with Carol would give himself something else to fight for, and that something would be one of the strongest emotions that a human has, love. Also, seeing as he has been part of I believe 3 different colors in the emotional spectrum, they may be trying to lead the story along the lines of Hal becoming a sort of Ultimate Lantern that has the power over all the different emotions. If this is so than I would see him gaining control over the emotion he seems to have to power over. Personally I think it would be a good idea, there would be many advantages for both him and Carol that would ultimately lead to amazing stories that have most likely not been visited in the Green Lantern comics before (I haven't read all of them though so I wouldn't know.).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.