Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2502 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

After the Trailer, What Could Happen in the 2nd & 3rd Green Lantern Movies?

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
       2011? That's old news. Let's talk about the GL movie coming out in 2013.
     2011? That's old news. Let's talk about the GL movie coming out in 2013.

Norm’s extensive breakdown of the GREEN LANTERN trailer got me thinking about a number of presumptions I've had about the movie and (yes, we’ll talk about it already) the series. We all know that the WB’s got a lot of confidence in this one - - they’ve already commissioned treatments outlining the two sequels. I’ve been observing and commenting about almost every step of the development but, now, I’ve got some new ideas. 

I divide them into these categories...

SCOPE

As comics fans, we’ve grown up on all these concepts and, thus, often lose sight of how far-out they are. While we're well familiar with Manhunters, Alpha Lanterns and Weaponers of Qward... they'd really be too much for the elusive "general audience". Since the trailer makes it seem like half the movie’s down-to-Earth action (notice how Hal's driving a hummer somewhere instead of flying) I think the procession of the fantastic’s going to be a lot more gradual. They probably won't get to delve that far into the mythos. == TEASER ==

No Caption Provided

SINESTRO 

It’s been confirmed that Sinestro won’t be making his “heel turn” in movie #1. But he’s still there and he still looks pretty (I must say) sinister, so it’s a given that he’s going to be movie #2's heavy. They’ll likely compress a lot of continuity by having him either become infected/corrupted by Parallax or find some way to draw power from it's corpse. Either way, he’s probably going to start his own Corps in the next movie right away, instead of spending years as the solo yellow ringslinger, and I doubt the Qwardians will be involved at all.

No Caption Provided

OTHER LANTERNS

John Stewart will be a supporting character (not actually played by Jon Stewart.) This could easily be a simple nod to the comics or it could be a set-up for him becoming a superhero in the next one. I could see him getting deputized as more lanterns die in the Sinestro Corps War and reinforcements get scarce. They stress that Hal’s the first human lantern, so maybe he’s the one who shows the Guardians that they can trust others. It'd be too much to see Kyle or Guy, though. Plus, with the cartoon, many kids know John better than Hal and that has to be addressed.

No Caption Provided

OTHER CORPS

It’s clear this will draw a lot from Johns' run, with all its retcons and new cosmology. I'm sure a lot of movie #1 will be informed by SECRET ORIGIN, movie #2 by the SINESTRO CORPS WAR and movie #3 by...? Well, there's the small, sly clue of Carol having the Star Sapphire on her flight helmet. I initially figured #3 would riff on BLACKEST NIGHT, but I now reckon that'll be too much. I do think we'll see more corps eventually, though, if not necessarily the Stars Sapphires. 

Anyway, those are just my own (well-reasoned) stabs into the abyss. Do you figure I'm spot on, or am I way, way off? Let's keep the discussion going and here where you maniacs think GL will go.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here  &   here .  Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk

Avatar image for mintberrycrunch
    MintBerryCrunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By MintBerryCrunch

Blake needs to get it together if she makes it as Star Sapphire

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By goldenkey

the movie isn't even out and we're gonna guess what the sequels are??

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @goldenkey said:
    "the movie isn't even out and we're gonna guess what the sequels are?? "

This.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @goldenkey: Yup. That's what Tom said in his first sentence.
    Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By Silver Knight75

it's a little early to make calls on a movie based on the trailer (especially sequels)

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By noj

Well I personally think that the Manhunters need to be addressed at some point. Maybe not as villains, but as a flashback, or something. Heck maybe Sinestro finding out about all that the Guardians mistakes and coverups such as the Manhunters will cause him to lose faith in the corps and turn on them. Without the Manhunters there would be no Red Lanterns, or Blackest Night, and if thats the direction they want to go they are necessary. 

LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By LightBright

After the trailer, what could happen? 

Absolutely anything. Doesn't mean it'll be good...

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Decept-O

Can't bring myself to watch the trailer.  Don't even know if I will see the movie.  *sigh*
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9  Edited By Dr. Detfink

The sequel has to play out on a downer but much like Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold, in losing Stone Cold WINS the crowd. Thus, I definitely can see Sinestro bonding with Parallax and destroying the Battery instead of Hal Jordan (in Emerald Twilight source material). 

Third film must be Sinestro Corps war. I can see it playing out like DX has Stone Cold on his own without any help but in Wrestlemania takes HBK and starts a new era of attitude. So seeing Hal as the LAST Lantern but ultimately finding a way to defeat Sinestro and re-starting the corps will end on a great note. 

Now, the $64,000 question: CAN Kilowog smash two beers and drink them after stomping a mudhole on a Yellow Lantern? 

Sorry, no Blackest Night is minimized without DC characters we all know back from the dead.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

i hope Star Saphire will be in the sequels 

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kurrent

I'd like to see something completely different then stereotypical Hollywood super hero blah blah blah in the 2nd film, they should do something like Emerald Twilight. Have Hal be one of the villains and John and perhaps Kyle face off against him. Then in the third he gets resurrected Sinestro Corp war and they all live happily ever after

kelvin_oh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By kelvin_oh89
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Mbecks14

2. Sinestro forms his own corps? 
    3. Star sapphire? OR Blackest Night adaptation where only regular people come back to life and instead of needing 7 colors they only need Green and Yellow?

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By DanialCarroll

I know very little of GL, so no matter what they do, it'll all be new to me :)

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15  Edited By doordoor123

The movie first needs to get a lot of viewers. I know that they are already writing a sequel but same could be said about The Last Airbender. And the acting, directing, writing and cgi looks horrible in the trailer. Then again it could just be a bad trailer. 
    Hal Jordan is my favorite hero and i would hate to see the movie go down in flames. Its too bad DC put the wrong people on this movie.
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By TheMess1428

I honestly don't think the Sinestro Corps War will fit as #2 of the movie series. They would be skipping over a lot of story that has been coming in over the years. Including a lot of villains, Hal Jordan as well.

Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hellos
    @Tom Pinchuk: 

I disagree Jon Stewart would be perfect for the role of John Stewart! 

Just give him the Robert Downy Jr do over like in Tropic Thunder and it's magic. :P
    justafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By justafan

this movie @doordoor123:  from what i've seen I'm disappointed so far but this feels like it's gonna be like FF4 and get enough views for a sequel

DeathbyYeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DeathbyYeti

the trailer was great
    reminds me to never get my hopes slightly up or interested in anything ever
    life

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Sobe Cin

As long as Kilowog is present in the sequels and they bring in Ch'p, I don't care what the story is about. They could be fishing on Pluto for the entirity as long as they have the squirrel green lantern.
    Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Red Rum

Jon Stewart, Yellow Sinestro, Star Sapphire, or any combination of the three.

Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hellos
    @Red Rum said:
    "Jon Stewart, Yellow Sinestro, Star Sapphire, or any combination of the three."
    Buwahaha it's working!
    Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Fantasgasmic

Am I the only one who thinks having the War of Light and/or Blackest Night as movies is a HORRIBLY RETARDED IDEA?! If I were going to do a GL movie trilogy (because for some god forsaken reason, hollywood is convinced trilogies are a good idea) I would do a Emerald Dawn/ Emerald Dawn II style origin. No 5 Inversions, no Abin Sur paranoia, none of that mess. Movie 2 would be Hal dealing with Star Sapphire for the first half, and the second half of Sinestro's betrayal of the Corps and and setting up a base with a yellow lantern on Qward (you can leave out the Weaponers and antimatter stuff) solitary villain. That way Hal's love interest and mentor both screw him over at the exact same time, really trying his willpower. Then a 3rd movie of Sinestro Corps War. Sinestro's been flying under the radar of the guardians slowly amassing his own corps, no notions about other colors or emotional spectra.

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By greenenvy

All I know is Sinestro  should just about coming to the dark side so far and the rest I will worry about later on. 

caesarsghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By caesarsghost
    @doordoor123 said:

"The movie first needs to get a lot of viewers. I know that they are already writing a sequel but same could be said about The Last Airbender. And the acting, directing, writing and cgi looks horrible in the trailer. Then again it could just be a bad trailer. Hal Jordan is my favorite hero and i would hate to see the movie go down in flames. Its too bad DC put the wrong people on this movie. "

Take it easy buddy, the movie will be amazing. If Hal is your favorite hero you should start seeing why Reynolds is a perfect fit for the Secret Origins Hal Jordan (that pre Coast City bravado)... So I still have lots of hope and excitement.  

On an unrelated note, Sinestro corps war would be awesome for the second movie, bring on the evil Sinestro! He is one of the best comic book villains EVER, and Strong should play him perfectly
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By NightFang3

I won't to see more Green Lanterns and maybe Black Hand in the sequels. I also think the   
    Weaponers of Qward could work with Kanjar Ro. 

Icemizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Icemizer

Introducing Parallax and all the other lantern inhabitants would be a bit much for any audience to follow in a 2 hour movie and not necessary at all. The second film should be all about building a credible friendship between Hal and Sinestro so there is more impact when they fight it out in the third movie. They could battle some enemy and Sinestro goes to far.The second film should end with Sinestro stripped of his ring and banished to Qward. Final shots his pink  finger putting on the yellow ring and pull out to show him creating the yellow suit with it.  
    The third film is all about the battle with Sinestro. Weaponers attacking Oa and killing Lanterns, worlds being overtaken by the Qwardians imposing Sinestros order. The final battle can even have Hal fly into the main battery to get its power so he can beat Sinestro.  
    At this point we really dont need the full spectrum of Lanterns. Your average audience will just be confused by the emotions and light stuff anyway.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Hellos said:
    "@Tom Pinchuk: 

I disagree Jon Stewart would be perfect for the role of John Stewart! 

Just give him the Robert Downy Jr do over like in Tropic Thunder and it's magic. :P "

WIN
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Moomin123

If the Sinestro Corps is formed, I hope they make the Sinestro Corps characters proper characters, rather than just dumb henchmen to Sinestro. I'm anxious to guys like Arkillo being made into film characters. Lol, I'd even like to see Yellow Lantern, that'd be funny. 

Me am worst nightmare!!!
    Me am worst nightmare!!!
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Cherry Bomb

Star Sapphire! <3 

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

John Stewart will be a supporting character (not actually played by Jon Stewart.)

Where was this shown or mentioned?  I must have missed this.  Was there a shot in the trailer or mentioned by the director or something?
    Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#32  Edited By The Impersonator

We'll see how the first movie turns out. If it's bad, then it's pointless to say what is going to happen in the next two movies. If it's good, then we can imagine what will happen in the next two movies. Patience. 
    queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By queenfrost_

Star Sapphire should be the villain turned ally in the Second movie! (: x

wallywest55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By wallywest55

I think your predictions are kinda accurate. i could see more GL's entering the fray. I would agree that john stewart is more well know from the cartoon. Yah and im guessing since they are alredy showing parallax this early then there is going to have to be other lanterns corps. I don't think the blackest night, but i can see like a Sinestro corps war going on with the star sapphires coming in for no reason. But we shall see how this first movie turns out. Its looks like crap from the trailer im hoping its not.

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By Calvin

A REBOOT!  

LOL just kidding! I hope it goes for the  OTHER LANTERNS option. I don't care much for the Hal, but I love the GL Corps concept I like very much of Kyle, Jon and Guy.  

No Caption Provided
    aouric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By aouric

Tom you put a lot good question and possibilities out there and I wouldn't know where to begin,  
    but the manhunters would be a great consideration to kick off a sequel.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.