Follow

Green Lantern: New Guardians

Volume »

Green Lantern: New Guardians is a New 52 comic that focuses on Kyle Rayner, who is leading a team with members from all the Lantern Corps. He too must master the powers of the Emotional Spectrum.

Green Lantern: New Guardians #32

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

From exploring the vast, beauty of the DCU to encountering a ship full of living nightmares. Such is the journey that Justin Jordan has decided to lead us on over the last several issues, climaxing with this one. We open seeing what became of Quaros, the Guardian recently lost to the group and now being frantically sought. When his fellow Guardians, along with Carol Ferris, finally get a lead on him, it leads them to a massive ship that seems to be a laboratory in space. And it’s not the kind of lab with any kind of strict precautions on the treatment of subjects, sentient or otherwise, this is some dark stuff that makes ordinary vivisection look like a booster shot. The tonal shift of this issue is somewhat surprising and a little bit terrifying, we’re suddenly dealing with some Cronenberg/Giger-esque body horror imagery and I have absolutely NO idea where it’s going or why it’s happening, which only heightens the fear.

All this gut-churning horror wouldn’t mean much without a great artistic team behind it, and this book’s got that. Brad Walker’s pencils give these nightmares form and shape while Andrew Hennessy, with Scott Hanna, calcify them into stark, terrifying reality and Wil Quintana’s colors bring them to what passes for life aboard this ship. There are a great many scenes that happen before they find this spacebourne nightmare, and those scenes are just as lovingly crafted, with Carol’s frustration about having to follow these Guardians while they search out their kinsman and neglect finding Kyle is palpable, and I love the small things they do to communicate her frustration. I’m also a big fan of when any ring user/Guardian takes off and leaves a trail. Not sure why, I just love the effect and what it communicates visually.

The Bad

The art is generally great in this book, but there are some panels where the characters don’t look quite as they should. Carol’s face has a tendency to change features somewhat, whether they drift or get smushed.

The Verdict

I love this as a turn for this book to take: the horror episodes of Star Trek were actually some of my favorites, both in the original run and ESPECIALLY in Next Generation. Space itself is a dark, strangling nightmare so inserting a truly malevolent, depraved force into it only adds to its innate sense of dread and terror. We get a great reveal at the end, but things are far from solved nor are they anywhere near okay. This issue teases out whatever’s going on brilliantly and I’m actually dreading whatever comes next, and I mean that in the best possible way.

lantian1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Really enjoyed this. True Sci-fi adventuring

Carol was great

Can't wait to find out what happens next

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dondave

Carol was annoyning

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I stopped reading this after the third army event. Is Kyle affiliated with the green lanterns anymore now that he's white?

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

I stopped reading this after the third army event. Is Kyle affiliated with the green lanterns anymore now that he's white?

Unfortunately no.

It's upsetting that this is the lowest lantern title.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Teerack
    @mysoulz said:

@teerack said:

Unfortunately no.

It's upsetting that this is the lowest lantern title.

Interesting. does the book at least manage to stay a rotating team book?

DemonKnights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great review. I felt the same way.

I miss the original team up though. I miss arkilo, bleeze, saint walker and the rest of the crew,

DemonKnights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DemonKnights

Great review. I felt the same way.

I miss the original team up though. I miss arkilo, bleeze, saint walker and the rest of the crew,

BrotherEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

@teerack: The only Lanterns are Kyle and Carol with the rest of the supporting cast being the Templar Guardians.

This is such a nice high concept book that I hope it survives. It tackles some great issues like what makes society plus it makes the Oans interesting.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brothereye: Awh. It doesn't like its something I would like anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.