Follow

Green Lantern: New Guardians

Volume »

Green Lantern: New Guardians is a New 52 comic that focuses on Kyle Rayner, who is leading a team with members from all the Lantern Corps. He too must master the powers of the Emotional Spectrum.

Green Lantern: New Guardians #21

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Justin Jordan has, of late, had a run of bad luck. His new Deathstroke series was cancelled shortly after he began rebounding the character and his Team 7 book was halted before it could establish any kind of tone or over-arching plot, but he’s clearly not deterred as he introduces us to a universe in shambles after the events of Wrath of the First Lantern. Kyle Rayner, the White Lantern that wields the entire emotional spectrum, is just about to ship off from Oa, when the newly released Guardians ask that he be their guide in the universe, showing them what has changed, and taking them to places that they’re needed. Kyle’s reticent to accept, but finally gives in after Hal Jordan joins in the request. We even get a couple of pages with Carol Ferris helping Kyle move his stuff out of his apartment for the long journey, and here’s one of the most interesting parts of the book: there’s still a bit of something going on between these two. The tension was palpable when Ferris was training and assisting Kyle during his mission to master the spectrum, and it looks like, despite her and Hal getting back together, there’s still a small spark there. But it’s handled discretely enough that Jordan (the writer, not the Lantern) could go either way with it.

Brad Walker keeps pace with pencils, flanked by Andrew Hennessey on inks and Wil Quintana on colors, and keep pace he does indeed. It’s a rare thing to see an artist succeed so thoroughly at both the mundane (though it IS only for two pages) of an apartment pack-up to the sprawling grandeur of interstellar battles. Likewise the colors are bright and eye-catching (an absolute necessity in a book like this) and the inks are well-defined, with the linework almost completely invisible, but the lines themselves well defined and crisp.

The Bad

The pacing of this issue feels all over the place. One minute Hal and Kyle are chatting about the latter’s responsibility and then on the very next page, he’s suddenly fighting space sharks (yes, for the second time this month, space sharks) before zipping down to Earth for some low-level conversation, but two pages later we’re back in space at an anomaly the Guardians want to check out, which segues nicely into my next problem: the Guardians claim to want to be shown the universe and what’s changed in it, but their first act is to demand Kyle immediately show them something they already knew existed. I get that the Guardians are used to getting their own way, Kyle at one point even admonishes their stubbornness being reminiscent of the Old Guardians, but it regards something other than their destination. If the thing had been something Kyle was curious about, problem solved, but that coupled with the pacing that made everything feel limitlessly rushed (though the transition from apartment to space IS marked with an absolutely gorgeous panel in which the shadow of Kyle’s face is flecked with stars) was a weakness.

The Verdict

It fortunately wasn’t a very pronounced weakness, nor one that ruins the issue. This is a great jumping-on point for new readers who want to check out something truly strange in their Lantern book, but it’s also a perfect continuation of the tone of the previous issues. This makes a hat-trick for the new creators on the Green Lantern books, all three have, so far, been excellent and set up a lot of great potential.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Can't wait to see where Justin Jordan takes this book. I really like the title and his writing, so this should be good in the coming months as well!

90scomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By 90scomicfan

So glad this got a high review score! Always liked Kyle more than Hal (you'd never guess from my avatar!) and was disappointed with this book when it first launched, Looking forward to picking it up this week!

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carol and Kyle??? Whaaaaaat....

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ptigrusmagus

Jordan got a raw deal on Deathstroke, didn't even get a real chance. I'm going to give all five Lantern titles a chance this summer thought.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

So far, all of the new writers on the Lantern side have been great..I wonder if Red Lanterns will follow the pattern.

MTHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@90scomicfan: Finally someone else who likes Kyle more than Hal, I'm with you man! I find him so more interesting than Hal in general :)

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

I don't think I'm much of a Justin Jordan fan after dropping most books he's been on, but this has by far been my favorite book of his. I thought this was better then Green Lantern.

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mthammer said:

@90scomicfan: Finally someone else who likes Kyle more than Hal, I'm with you man! I find him so more interesting than Hal in general :)

Listen to the Podcast, I'm with ya'll. Rayner's always been my #1 Lantern pick.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By doordoor123

@_black said:

I can't believe no one has thought of a love triangle in Green Lantern. Kyle and Hal are SUCH ladies men. They need it to get tangled up sometime. I LOVE this! I hope Carol and Kyle hook up! Kyle is a much better person.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Am I the only one in the world reading Shadowman? No one ever talks about what a fantastic job Justin Jordan's been doing on that book.

Anyways, can't wait to see what he has to bring to Green Lantern New Guardians! Besides the Simon Baz issues of Green Lantern, GLNG has been my favorite GL title. It'll be interesting to see what the book's gonna be like now that the original concept of Kyle mastering the emotional spectrum from various members of the other Corps in order to save Ganthet is gone. I'm really happy he got to stay as the White Lantern, or else the last 20 issues would've been pretty pointless.

Misterwizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

“Despite her and Hal getting back together”.

Actually Venditti seems to have no interest in getting her and Hal Back together. I wouldn’t be surprised if they pushed for a Kyle / Carol romance (which I would be totally against).

Misterwizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Misterwizz

@doordoor123:

I hope they don’t.

Carol has and always will be part of Hal’s supporting cast, and Kyle is not much that better of a person than Hal.

Besides I can't stand the idea anyway.

It could be brief though, I just don’t want it to be permanent.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By doordoor123

@doordoor123:

I hope they don’t.

Carol has and always will be part of Hal’s supporting cast, and Kyle is not much that better of a person than Hal.

Besides I can't stand the idea anyway.

It could be brief though, I just don’t want it to be permanent.

Actually, Hal cheated on Carol pre-New 52 with two girls, dated a sixteen year-old (granted she was an alien), and committed mass murder. Even destroying his hometown in the process.

Kyle really isn't that bad in comparison.

Misterwizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doordoor123:

Most of that was from Johns writing though; he made Hal into more of a ladies man. Before that he was pretty generic and straightforward, kinda bland I guess (not without his flaws of course). He really wanted to marry Carol back in the day (though he did once turn down a proposal from her admitting he wasn’t ready to get married, in a very mature manner might I add).

And that Arisia thing came about from Englehart’s run. She aged herself to a 20 something year old (with the mind of a 16 year old). Hal was resistant to her prior, and only went into a relationship with her after that happened.

Besides three of Kyle’s girlfriends have been killed, so it’s not like he’s perfect with his relationships either.

martyyy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@misterwizz:

I hope they don't make kyle x carol. I'll be mad. Hal x Carol and Kyle x soranik

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By _Black

@_black said:

I can't believe no one has thought of a love triangle in Green Lantern. Kyle and Hal are SUCH ladies men. They need it to get tangled up sometime. I LOVE this! I hope Carol and Kyle hook up! Kyle is a much better person.

LOL I smell a future GL writer right here..

90scomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 90scomicfan

@mthammer said:

Listen to the Podcast, I'm with ya'll. Rayner's always been my #1 Lantern pick.

I started reading GL just before Hal went nuts and turned into Parallax and then Marz created Kyle. I think the hook for Kyle was better. He's just a guy who gets chosen completely at random. There's no daddy issues there, or dark secrets from his past. I think he's sort of dc's version of peter parker in that he's an average guy with regular problems. He just happens to have a power ring! :) Also Wally West is my Flash. Really hoping they bring him back in something soon!

RybackStun93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know a lot of people are focusing on the Kyle and Carol relationship (which I fully support, if just to spite Pu52 Hal), but from what I can tell, the threat that the New Guardians are dealing with is bleedthrough from the old universe. Am I reading into that wrong?

If not, could we be already seeing the signs of a return to the old universe?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.