Follow

Green Arrow

Character » Green Arrow appears in 4302 issues.

Oliver Queen was a spoiled, thrill-seeking playboy, until he was left stranded on a deserted island for several years. There, he trained to become a master archer in order to survive. After his return home, he used his new-found skills and his wealth to became the costumed vigilante known as Green Arrow.

The Future Of Green Arrow At DC Comics

• 100 results
    colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By colonyofcells

Green Arrow is based on Robin Hood who worked outside the law and that's how I tend to view Green Arrow. I prefer Green Arrow as more of a terrorist type, the sneaky sniper type. It is really hard for me to imagine Green Arrow as a member of the Justice League.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By ThanosIsMad

Bring back the facial hair and make him old enough to have actually been significant in molding Roy into a hero.

rodiggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By rodiggle

I'll pick this up as long as he has a cool beard :p

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#54  Edited By the_tree

I sincerely hope Lemire can do Ollie justice. I'll definitely be checking it out. Hopefully the show doesn't have too much influence over the comic (Not really a big fan of it).

Kesho_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By Kesho_Ronin

i love this new 52 green arrow.i enjoyed 13-14 issues

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Eyz

Just...commit to a style!

Stop searching for new directions all the time!!

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By RoboShark

This cats excited.

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#58  Edited By pingclang

It doesn't matter what Lemire has in store for Ollie, anything is better than what we have seen since New 52. Green Arrow is easily my favorite DC character and seeing what they've done to him breaks my heart. I quit reading with issue 6 but occasionally flip through the new issues and it's just devastating. It's not just the bad writing but they took away the core of the character. Oliver Queen has always had his demons and the family he built was what made him strong but no more of that. I hope Lemire does something good with the character, I will at least give it a try.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Dud317

Okay so I didn't mind that he was younger. I didn't really mind that he didn't have a goatee either. But I've hung on to this series out of respect for the original character. I loved the brightest day run with him and thought it it might carryover. Anytime you do a reboot so quick, I feel more ripped off, because while I can categorize pre new 52 Green Arrow, where the hell does this second reboot, or new 52.1, or OSX Archer fit in? For them to just Kevorkian Ollie is bull, no matter how bad. If Lemire is that good, he can resurrect Ollie without making this run essentially non-canon.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#60  Edited By kennybaese

I hadn't really read much of Lemire's stuff at all until I started reading Animal Man with the relaunch and now I can't get enough of his stuff. Books like Sweet Tooth and The Underwater Welder are unbelievably well written. I can't wait to see what he does with Ollie.

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By Green ankh

Arrow is lousy. the New 52 GL is one of the bad redo's. I miss the old Ollie.

Pretzel007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Pretzel007

I believe in Jeff Lemire! So ready for Green Arrow to become a decent comic again like before the new 52. I've really hated all the writer switching constantly, especially Nocenti. I hate her.....

aaunderoath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By aaunderoath

Loved GA pre-52 SO pumped to have Lemire on this book!!

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By Mucklefluga

Lemire is a great writer, this should be good.

BTW i hope eventually the Ollie in ARROW turns into a fun Green Arrow.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#65  Edited By jointron33

@Mucklefluga: Green Arrow isn't fun

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By slade_wilson

Those who have read my blog know how excited I am for Lemire. GA deserves the best.

Mojo65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Mojo65

They can make the setting dark and the stories pretty dark but I really REALLY hope they don't make Ollie all dark and brooding as a character, we have Batman around for that and GA already has lots of similarities with Batman, he doesn't need that too.

Also he needs some form of Arrow family back, half the fun of GA is how he interacts with his supporting cast.

And bring the political stuff back, its one of his defining traits.

Avatar image for thesmallvillefan12
    TheSmallvillefan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for Lemire to write Green Arrow

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By CrimsonCake

@Brit said:

"Jeff Lemire who will be taking over the GREEN ARROW series starting in February, 2013 cited that he took inspiration from Andy Diggle and Jock'sGREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE,"

- That's a good place to start. I hope they make sure that Ollie DOES NOT USE A COMPOUND BOW. it sucks - i feel like he's cheating with it. Using a traditional bow showcases how great of an archer Ollie really is. I don't mean to hate on the people who previously worked on the title, but they made him into a STEVE JOBS WITH A FETISH FOR HI-TECH ARCHERY plus NO GOATEE? C'mon!

I know Lemire would do great and I will treat issue #17 as the definitive NEW 52 #1 for Green Arrow. Hail Lemire!!!!

They really shouldn't, even Hawkeye once said that Compound bows are cheating.

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Brit

@CrimsonCake said:

@Brit said:

"Jeff Lemire who will be taking over the GREEN ARROW series starting in February, 2013 cited that he took inspiration from Andy Diggle and Jock'sGREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE,"

- That's a good place to start. I hope they make sure that Ollie DOES NOT USE A COMPOUND BOW. it sucks - i feel like he's cheating with it. Using a traditional bow showcases how great of an archer Ollie really is. I don't mean to hate on the people who previously worked on the title, but they made him into a STEVE JOBS WITH A FETISH FOR HI-TECH ARCHERY plus NO GOATEE? C'mon!

I know Lemire would do great and I will treat issue #17 as the definitive NEW 52 #1 for Green Arrow. Hail Lemire!!!!

They really shouldn't, even Hawkeye once said that Compound bows are cheating.

Smallville ruined Green Arrow's love for Recurve or Longbows. It's a good thing the TV series uses a traditional one.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By BR_Havoc

Wow that is actually good news. Green Arrow was one of many poorly rebooted characters in the "new 52" I find his comic to be like Superman's comics they have been terrible since they started. I wonder if the new Green Arrow follows a little more of the pre 52 blue prints and does well if we will see other characters like Superman's comics follow the same path?

I sure hope so.

MizariSeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By MizariSeth

If Lemire appears in the credits of somehing, I must buy.

I haven't been into GA before, but I read some of the current GA and god...it was so...bad. I hate Nocenti, I think she's Liefeld rebirth.

Well, I know this gonna be good!!

Edit: Sorry, my english is poor.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#73  Edited By RedOwl_1

Thanks God, finally somebody give GA what he deserves :P

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Okay, so I have one question. Is this going to be a brand new series and start at #1 or is he going to continue and start at 17 but just reboot the whole story. I understood his interview as it starting completely over at issue 1, but in Comic Shop News yesterday, it said he would be taking over at 17. Either way, I may have to pick this up... Lemire is a great writer. I look forward to Animal Man every month.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#75  Edited By Mbecks14

I'll be keeping an eye on the title with Lemiere in charge, hopefully it gets interesting. Oliver changes so much all of the time. I think my favorite Green Arrow is from JLU and the days of Meltzer. He's always been a serious and humorous character in my eyes. That's why I always liked him.

I am definitely enjoying Arrow for what it is but he's a long shot (ha) from being similar to the Oliver Queen in the comics. Too broody and murdery.

BCreatures16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By BCreatures16

Really looking forward to seeing what Lemire does with this. Historically, I've never really been a fan of archers and found the whole Green Arrow character to be a bit off putting with the Robin Hood-esque outfit and Elizabethan-era facial hair. But this past year has changed my mind on archers, with Fraction's Hawkeye and the new Arrow television series. I haven't been reading the comic book version of Green Arrow but come February I will give it a go.

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By jobbernos

awesome. ga ftw.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#78  Edited By entropy_aegis

I hope Tommy Merlyn is retconned immediately,Arthur King is much better.Tommy is cool in the show though but we don't need him in the comics,especially since he's replacing an already existing character.

And hopefully Merlyn gets justice,he should be the DC equivalent of Dark Hawkeye/Bullseye.

DocFishstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By DocFishstick

man i have a good feeling about this. i like the tv show a lot. this is something i will check out.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By the_tree

@entropy_aegis said:

I hope Tommy Merlyn is retconned immediately,Arthur King is much better.Tommy is cool in the show though but we don't need him in the comics,especially since he's replacing an already existing character.

And hopefully Merlyn gets justice,he should be the DC equivalent of Dark Hawkeye/Bullseye.

Agreed on all of this. F*** Tommy Merlyn, there was no need for such a change in the comics.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By entropy_aegis

@The_Tree said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Agreed on all of this. F*** Tommy Merlyn, there was no need for such a change in the comics.

Yeah and not just that I'm also sick of the name Thomas,Tom,Tommy.It's like every bad guy these days is a Tommy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8afb01c5e75
    deactivated-5a8afb01c5e75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lemire doing Green Arrow sounds interesting but I think this is just more proof that The New 52 long ago fell apart, how is DC going to be able to sustain this?

Avatar image for fullmetalchobit
    FullmetalChobit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#83  Edited By FullmetalChobit

Wow, it looks like GA will actually be ENJOYABLE next year...

RayeGunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By RayeGunn

@BR_Havoc said:

Wow that is actually good news. Green Arrow was one of many poorly rebooted characters in the "new 52" I find his comic to be like Superman's comics they have been terrible since they started. I wonder if the new Green Arrow follows a little more of the pre 52 blue prints and does well if we will see other characters like Superman's comics follow the same path?

I sure hope so.

This was my thought as well (well, not for Superman so much, but I have some favorite characters that I have been very disappointed with in the New 52... Apollo and Midnighter being the big ones.)

For some characters that got off on a bad foot, I've been creating little head canon 'fixes' that could work with the continuity... I know it may never happen, but it reassures me there's still hope for them to be brought back to being awesome. Sometimes though the best you can do is get it to a place that's better, but not great. or it requires a lot of improbable circumstances. But if DC is willing to simply start over on a character that got a bad reboot.... That gives me hope that some other characters can be fixed more completely than I initially thought. But they probably need to have a certain status to qualify for such treatment, and the Arrow TV show grants Green Arrow that. Lemire also said that even after all this time Green Arrow is still essentially a blank slate (I will have to take his word, I stopped reading it) which means this isn't actually CHANGING anything from the earlier New 52 writers, just... ignoring some more recent events. But a lot of the badly rebooted characters have the same issue. Stuff happens to them in the books, sure, but when you sit down to think about what we actually know about them, their motivations, personalities and histories, you come up with a shockingly short list for 15 issues.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By xxxddd

I hate the Arrow tv show.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#86  Edited By daredevil21134

Bring back the beard

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By KnightofSteel

If Lemire is taking after Jock's year one as an influence for the upcoming run count me in. And thar art by Sorrentino?... now we're talking... a monthly GA comic that will finally deliver the goods!

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By the_tree

@entropy_aegis said:

@The_Tree said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Yeah and not just that I'm also sick of the name Thomas,Tom,Tommy.It's like every bad guy these days is a Tommy.

Yeah, now that I think about it, you're kind of right. And now that I think of it, it always seems like they're the antithesis-type character to the hero. Tommy Arashikage to Snake Eyes, Tommy Elliot to Batman, and now Tommy Merlyn to Green Arrow.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By entropy_aegis

@The_Tree said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@The_Tree said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Yeah, now that I think about it, you're kind of right. And now that I think of it, it always seems like they're the antithesis-type character to the hero. Tommy Arashikage to Snake Eyes, Tommy Elliot to Batman, and now Tommy Merlyn to Green Arrow.

Tomi Shishido (Gorgon)

Thomas Blake (Catman)

Thomas Wayne Jr( Owlman/Lincoln March)

Thomas Wayne (Dr Hurt)

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By the_tree

@entropy_aegis said:

@The_Tree said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@The_Tree said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Tomi Shishido (Gorgon)

Thomas Blake (Catman)

Thomas Wayne (Dr Hurt)

O_O

S###, man. I think we've just stumbled ourselves upon a conspiracy.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By entropy_aegis

@The_Tree said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@The_Tree said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@The_Tree said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Tomi Shishido (Gorgon)

Thomas Blake (Catman)

Thomas Wayne (Dr Hurt)

O_O

S###, man. I think we've just stumbled ourselves upon a conspiracy.

LOL.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#92  Edited By TDK_1997

I can't wait for Lemire to step in!

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By derf_jenkins

I think DC found a way to get me into a book I wouldn't otherwise read. They put Lemire on it.

Paul3001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Paul3001

For me, there were very few good GA stories in the last couple of years. When Krul came to the title I hoped for something decent and at first I must admit that I liked the Rise and Fall storyline. But then the whole forest saga didn't do it for me. Yet, the most surprising thing is that, correct me if I'm wrong, I think Krul is the only writer who remained on a title in the New 52 that he also wrote before and rebooted completely. And knowing that he'll be rebooting the character he did nothing to give us a good closure on the old Ollie. That's one thing. Another thing - why did he do the reboot? It's like telling us forget everything I was building up last year, this will be cooler. Or is it? Then he leaves after a few issues. That's how he cared about the character. To be honest, I think that the editors forced the "more Smallville-like" changes to the character. But now, with the zero issue, which was just horrible, they start mixing it with the "Arrow" series. (What's interesting is that the print version of the digital first Arrow tie-in comic sold more copies than the New 52 series.) It's like they got nothing creative of their own to give us. The announcement of Lemire/Sorrentino coming in to the rescue is something that gives me hope for finally getting a GA title that will be memorable and interesting. The only problem is that the'y have to start with the lame New 52 version. I would have loved to see them creating this title from issue one. Oh, well, you can't have everything. Still, the future looks bright for Ollie. Can't wait 'till February.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#95  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Im becoming a big fan of ollie along with Clint Barton aka Hawkguy. I love the show and Jeff Lemire's new Green Arrow start looks veryyyy promosing. I'm loving his Animal Man run.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#96  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@Danial79 said:

I've never had any interest in Green Arrow (though I am liking the TV show), however, I still think it seems a bit stupid on DC's behalf to reboot the series at this point. I get that it isn't selling that well, but why does it deserve a reboot when all the other cancelled titles didn't? Oh, right, because he has a TV series. Do they really think fans of the show will be running out to buy Green Arrow comics? If movies can't bring in readers (and they don't), I really don't think a TV show will. Also, I get that Jeff Lamire has his fans, but after the initial "new series" spike, I have a feeling that the sales will just drop back off again.

The thing is companies do not even promote comic books to the main public anymore. I started reading comics a year ago and I didn't even know Comicbooks from Marvel, DC and other publishing comp existed. If they had a little ad or promotion between comic book related movies and shows, or cartoons telling kids and adults that there's a comic book for THAT, maybe comicbook popularity would increase a little. I bet 99% kids these days knows comic books exists. They only get to watch cartoons of DC and Marvel superheroes.

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
    BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really hope he does good with Green Arrow I mean I like the series now but somthing new sounds cool

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#98  Edited By Extremis
    CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@scarlettlynn: That's how I feel about one of my DC favorites, Harley Quinn. I haven't got into New 52 until this January because I was so afraid it was going to mess with everything I loved about DC. A lot of it I do like and when I heard Harley was in Suicide Squad I was thrilled. I rushed to my comic store and bought a few issues and I was saddened.

@danial79: Totally agree with you! The movies do nothing. You go out in public and tell people about Bane and they will look at you and tell you are making up crap. Then they will go on and on about the voice of him was hard to understand. Oh and you ask people about the Green Lantern they will tell you he sucks and he is suppose to be black like in the cartoons and the film makers don't know anything about GL. The Avenger "fans" are funnier! You ask them about Antman and Wasp and they will look at you and say, "haven't you seen the movie? Those new weren't in there! BTW who are they. They sound stupid!" (Rant Complete)

I do think TV does sometimes influences though. Growing up as a young child I loved watching the Justice League, Teen Titans, and The Batman. I remember getting up at 7 o'clock in the morning so I could try and catch all the cartoons. Once I entered the 4th grade about 5 years ago I wanted to read all the books these heroes were from and now I am a pretty big comic fan (mainly DC) and I could probably tell anyone about the history of Batman. This is also somewhat how it went for my best friend. And recently my little brother has fell in love with the Super Hero Squad and the DCAU reruns on the Hub and now everytime I go to the comic store my little brother begs me to buy him Hulks, Robins, and Bow and Arrow guy (Green Arrow).

So in some cases TV does work for gaining new fans. With movies there is a chance, but this is basically for advertising to the mainstream media and fan service because a lot of comic nuts love to see our favorite heroes make it to the movies no matter how crappy the performance is.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#100  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

@entropy_aegis: Every name for the heroes in Batman you could name to name a kid without it sounding odd. Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Jason Todd, Damian Wayne, Thomas Wayne, James Gordon!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.