Follow

Green Arrow

Character » Green Arrow appears in 4302 issues.

Oliver Queen was a spoiled, thrill-seeking playboy, until he was left stranded on a deserted island for several years. There, he trained to become a master archer in order to survive. After his return home, he used his new-found skills and his wealth to became the costumed vigilante known as Green Arrow.

'ARROW' Will Be A Darker, Grittier Take On Green Arrow

• 75 results
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By sethysquare

@joncameronli said:

It's a bit sad to see that they're not going to portray Oliver as a witty charming character. But instead we get Batman-lite-but-kills. I always thought that was one of the defining features of Oliver, another rich guy who disciplined himself but he went through a different journey and hence ended up as someone a lot less bitter than Batman but effective in his own way.

This Oliver Queen seems to be a hard-core death stare looking killer, like Ryan Gosling from Drive. I'm just gonna have to give this a chance and be open to the reinterpretation, and see how it goes.

did you perhaps miss the post I just posted before you?

Mike Grell was the one that made Green Arrow different from Batman. Before that he was just a Batman knock off.

Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
    kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By kapitein_zeppos

I'm sick and tired of the words "dark and gritty" being tossed around like an incantation that will magically transform any property into some kind of mind-blowing must-see-or-die event.

I'd love to see a string of movies based on the Greek Classics make so much money that every film or series after that is certified to be in (drumroll) Dactylic Pentameter !!! (gasp)

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Eyz

Heck, it can't be worse than what we currently have on his own New 52 on-going series!

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By TheThe

It's CW. "Darker" and "Gritter" means a little less cheesy and dumb, that's all. But it will be cheesy, like everything they do.

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55  Edited By Baddamdog

I think it looks good. Think people need to hold their tongues a bit until the first episode hits, then we can all make a judgement whether the 'darker' take is necessary/beneficial.

....so does this mean that when Black Canary probably comes into it she won't have a sonic scream?

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By sethysquare

@Baddamdog said:

I think it looks good. Think people need to hold their tongues a bit until the first episode hits, then we can all make a judgement whether the 'darker' take is necessary/beneficial.

....so does this mean that when Black Canary probably comes into it she won't have a sonic scream?

Probably. This seems to be borrowing from Mike Grell's era and back then she doesn't have sonic scream.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#57  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @sethysquare said:

@CaioTrubat: @Nova`Prime` said:

Dark and gritty works for Batman.. but never once did I look at Green Arrow and think dark and gritty.. isn't he like the exact opposite of that. The only real dark story I remember with Green Arrow was the one about drug addiction.

OMG. you're kidding right?

You mean you never read Long Bow Hunters and ongoing by Mike Grell? Heres an entry on wikipedia

In 1987, DC Comics launched the character into a new ongoing title as part of their mature audience comic line. Written and illustrated by Mike Grell, the revamp was launched with Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters mini-series. In this three-issue prestige formatlimited series, a routine adventure against a group of drug runners led to tragedy as Black Canary was captured and brutally tortured. In response, Green Arrow murders his girlfriend's attackers. The mini-series would also introduce the enigmatic female Japanese archer, Shado, whose family suffered in a World War II internment camp.

Under Grell, Green Arrow would abandon the use of his trademark gadget arrows and relocate from Star City to Seattle, Washington. As the series was part of DC Comics' mature audience line, it took on a more gritty, violent, and urban tone, with Green Arrow often using deadly force against his enemies. Grell wrote the series for the first 80 issues, downplaying the super-hero aspects of the characters; Oliver abandoned his mask and was never actually referred to as "Green Arrow", and Black Canary was never shown using her sonic scream power (sometimes explained as having lost it due to the events of The Longbow Hunters, though this was not consistent with her appearances in other titles published during this period). While crossover specials were conceived to allow other writers (most notably Denny O'Neil, who wrote Batman and the mature audience comic The Question) to use Green Arrow, Grell wrote him as largely isolated from the rest of the DC Universe; when other DC characters like longtime friend Hal Jordan (a.k.a. Green Lantern) appeared, they did so in street clothes and used only their civilian names.

In place of the super-hero community, Grell created his own supporting cast. In addition to Shado, Grell introduced Seattle police Lieutenant Jim Cameron, who was disgusted with Green Arrow's vigilante actions (including killing criminals); renegade CIA agent Greg Osborne, who began to monitor Queen's activities; and mercenary Eddie Fyers, initially introduced as Queen's adversary, but later to become a companion of necessity when Green Arrow was forced to leave Seattle after false accusations of aiding terrorists. Grell's run ended with Green Arrow #80, shortly after Dinah dumped Oliver.

During this period, the writer also redefined the character's origin in the four-part 1992 limited series, Green Arrow: The Wonder Year. Grell portrayed Oliver Queen as a thrill-seeker who inherits his family business at a very young age. Changed by his sojourn on the island, Oliver decided to take up crime fighting as a means of rebelling against his responsibilities. During his first adventure in Star City, Oliver Queen meets an old flame, Brianna Stone, a former college radical who warns him if he continued to carry his bow, he would one day have to use it for real. Grell's limited series also established Queen's attraction toward dangerous women.

Here are some pictures from Green Arrow Year One by Diggle and Jock

Do you consider this the exact opposite of dark and gritty?

Damn you beat me to it! I don't understand why pepole are complaining about this, if it's a choice between dark and gritty or an Errol Flynn look-a-like prancing about the rooftops with a feather in his hat and some boxing glove arrows then I'll take the D & G any day. The only thing I dislike about Arrow so far is that it should have been Charley Hunnam playing Ollie.
    No Caption Provided
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By sethysquare

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@sethysquare said:

@CaioTrubat: @Nova`Prime` said:

Dark and gritty works for Batman.. but never once did I look at Green Arrow and think dark and gritty.. isn't he like the exact opposite of that. The only real dark story I remember with Green Arrow was the one about drug addiction.

OMG. you're kidding right?

You mean you never read Long Bow Hunters and ongoing by Mike Grell? Heres an entry on wikipedia

In 1987, DC Comics launched the character into a new ongoing title as part of their mature audience comic line. Written and illustrated by Mike Grell, the revamp was launched with Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters mini-series. In this three-issue prestige formatlimited series, a routine adventure against a group of drug runners led to tragedy as Black Canary was captured and brutally tortured. In response, Green Arrow murders his girlfriend's attackers. The mini-series would also introduce the enigmatic female Japanese archer, Shado, whose family suffered in a World War II internment camp.

Under Grell, Green Arrow would abandon the use of his trademark gadget arrows and relocate from Star City to Seattle, Washington. As the series was part of DC Comics' mature audience line, it took on a more gritty, violent, and urban tone, with Green Arrow often using deadly force against his enemies. Grell wrote the series for the first 80 issues, downplaying the super-hero aspects of the characters; Oliver abandoned his mask and was never actually referred to as "Green Arrow", and Black Canary was never shown using her sonic scream power (sometimes explained as having lost it due to the events of The Longbow Hunters, though this was not consistent with her appearances in other titles published during this period). While crossover specials were conceived to allow other writers (most notably Denny O'Neil, who wrote Batman and the mature audience comic The Question) to use Green Arrow, Grell wrote him as largely isolated from the rest of the DC Universe; when other DC characters like longtime friend Hal Jordan (a.k.a. Green Lantern) appeared, they did so in street clothes and used only their civilian names.

In place of the super-hero community, Grell created his own supporting cast. In addition to Shado, Grell introduced Seattle police Lieutenant Jim Cameron, who was disgusted with Green Arrow's vigilante actions (including killing criminals); renegade CIA agent Greg Osborne, who began to monitor Queen's activities; and mercenary Eddie Fyers, initially introduced as Queen's adversary, but later to become a companion of necessity when Green Arrow was forced to leave Seattle after false accusations of aiding terrorists. Grell's run ended with Green Arrow #80, shortly after Dinah dumped Oliver.

During this period, the writer also redefined the character's origin in the four-part 1992 limited series, Green Arrow: The Wonder Year. Grell portrayed Oliver Queen as a thrill-seeker who inherits his family business at a very young age. Changed by his sojourn on the island, Oliver decided to take up crime fighting as a means of rebelling against his responsibilities. During his first adventure in Star City, Oliver Queen meets an old flame, Brianna Stone, a former college radical who warns him if he continued to carry his bow, he would one day have to use it for real. Grell's limited series also established Queen's attraction toward dangerous women.

Here are some pictures from Green Arrow Year One by Diggle and Jock

Do you consider this the exact opposite of dark and gritty?

Damn you beat me to it! I don't understand why pepole are complaining about this, if it's a choice between dark and gritty or an Errol Flynn look-a-like prancing about the rooftops with a feather in his hat and some boxing glove arrows then I'll take the D & G any day. The only thing I dislike about Arrow so far is that it should have been Charley Hunnam playing Ollie.
    No Caption Provided

True that. I have not heard of this actor, but he sure looks like alot like Oliver. My fan casr Green Arrow actor is actually Alexander Skarsgard. But Stephen Amell was also chosen because of his physique. He was able to do all those Parkour moves that regular peeps can't do. Plus its not a movie, so they can't go like, we want this, this, this and this actor to come for our audition. Its pretty much an open audition for whichever is available. Should they find him unsuitable after the pilot, then they'll swap him out. But I think Stephen Amell is pretty cool.

Perhaps if theres a movie, we might still be able to get them as Ollie

Avatar image for wonder_princess
    Wonder Princess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Wonder Princess

I hope Black Canary shows up screaming. :)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @sethysquare: Charley Hunnan plays Jax Teller in the Sons Of Anarchy TV show  
    uncas007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 267

#61  Edited By uncas007

Oh good, darker and grittier. That will be a much-welcome relief from all the gaiety and joy pervading America today.

uncas007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 267

#62  Edited By uncas007

@kapitein_zeppos: Great idea. Ovid's Metamorphoses would make a stunning high-production Showtime series.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By sethysquare

@Jonny_Anonymous: he seems like a great fit. but how is he going to get the role if he is already starring in Sons of Anarchy?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @sethysquare said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: he seems like a great fit. but how is he going to get the role if he is already starring in Sons of Anarchy?

Ah I know it would never happen but I just think he's perfect for the role, especally after the Emma Goldman quote at the end of season 2 (sorry not a good vid)  
    KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By KEROGA

speedy!!!

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By KEROGA

clip was pretty awesome

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Less superhero and more Jason Bourne/Ethan Hunt? Well why not just use this guy then to play him?? O_O

Makes sense to me to use him then if that's the feel they are going for. See? I'm clever aren't I?? ^^

thedrudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By thedrudo

@zackattack529 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: please tell me how that little teaser trailer of superman on a fishing boat, hitchiking like the hulk and flashback as a little kid witha cape, and a glimpse of him flying in the air makes you confident that he will translate well into realism??

Pretty sure the kid in the red cape is not Clark, but another boy who looks up to Superman when Clark becomes... Superman.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By sethysquare

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

Less superhero and more Jason Bourne/Ethan Hunt? Well why not just use this guy then to play him?? O_O

Makes sense to me to use him then if that's the feel they are going for. See? I'm clever aren't I?? ^^

Well, he is a movie star, I don't think he would want to star in TV shows. Even if he wants to he probably would not have been chosen because of this.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/03/avengers-hawkeye-archery/

TheFlashguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By TheFlashguy

Since it doesn't look like anyone else has bothered to go and look at IMDB:

KATIE CASSIDY-

2012 Arrow (TV series)

Dinah 'Laurel' Lance

Pilot (2012) … Dinah 'Laurel' Lance

Dont know if this means she will have her scream or not.. (im betting on the NOT if they are trying to go LESS superhero-E) but she will be in the pilot episode, which means we will most likely see her again in the show as long as it doesn't tank in it's first season (which were all wondering if it will)..

I'm a huge Ollie fan.. and was REALLY worried when this show was announced that they have now taken, beaten, and killed one of my favorite characters.. making it all teenaged and campy.. was the whole reason i never got into Smallville... cool CONCEPT... but just so cheesy and campy and made for teenage girls (it seemed). They blew their chance at doing the Aquaman show (which looked pretty sweet from the pilot) so im just hoping this isn't another massive failure by DC in the live-action market.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By sethysquare

@TheFlashguy said:

Since it doesn't look like anyone else has bothered to go and look at IMDB:

KATIE CASSIDY-

2012 Arrow (TV series)

Dinah 'Laurel' Lance

Pilot (2012) … Dinah 'Laurel' Lance

Dont know if this means she will have her scream or not.. (im betting on the NOT if they are trying to go LESS superhero-E) but she will be in the pilot episode, which means we will most likely see her again in the show as long as it doesn't tank in it's first season (which were all wondering if it will)..

I'm a huge Ollie fan.. and was REALLY worried when this show was announced that they have now taken, beaten, and killed one of my favorite characters.. making it all teenaged and campy.. was the whole reason i never got into Smallville... cool CONCEPT... but just so cheesy and campy and made for teenage girls (it seemed). They blew their chance at doing the Aquaman show (which looked pretty sweet from the pilot) so im just hoping this isn't another massive failure by DC in the live-action market.

She is a main cast in the series. So she will be there in almost every single episode. They might not give her the sonic scream though.

yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#72  Edited By yo_yo_fun

Looks pretty cool.

I would've preferred Justin Hartley though.

'Darker & Grittier' ....well what else is new..

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8e2e19d8bc3
    deactivated-5b8e2e19d8bc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethysquare:

No I didn't miss your post. I don't think the information in your post, although it was something I didn't know (since I was introduced to the character in Justice League animated) changes my opinion on Arrow. I want to see a charming, witty, and light hearted Oliver Queen but I'm open to give this a chance.

Notemoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the show despite how much everyone here said it was going to suck. It's been a really good first season and it's way better then Smallville...which was 10 long years o fmy life wasted on disappointment and crappy effects. I really hope we get to see more of Queen Industries toys. Perhaps an "Aero-Cycle." ;)

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By novi_homines

How many times must I hear these two words used in the same sentence when it comes to comic book characters? This fits Ollie, but they couldn't think of any other words to use?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.