Follow

Green Arrow

Character » Green Arrow appears in 4303 issues.

Oliver Queen was a spoiled, thrill-seeking playboy, until he was left stranded on a deserted island for several years. There, he trained to become a master archer in order to survive. After his return home, he used his new-found skills and his wealth to became the costumed vigilante known as Green Arrow.

'Arrow' Pilot Episode Discussion [Spoilers]

• 125 results
    Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Mutant God

I thought it was kinda funny when he did the move on his mother and flip her with a hand to her throat

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Catsnlynne

I liked the episode but I wish they had followed it more closely to the Green Arrow history of the comic book. I didn't like that his parents were still alive (his father in the flashbacks) but I really hated that he had a sister and he called her Speedy. If there is a Speedy why not have it be Roy Harper? He wouldn't have to be on the first episode but sometime in the future.

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#53  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Man, Arrow was pretty damn awesome! Stephen Amell as Arrow made the show for me, he just goes around, killing Mofos like its nothing!

Scike_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Scike_K

I may be in the minority here, but I thought Stephen Amell was a little too flat. Really devoid of any dimension or personality. Maybe I'm just spoiled on Justin Hartley, who I thought played a tremendous Green Arrow on Smallville. Arrow has always been the more 'relaxed' Justice Leaguer, sort of an anti-Batman type, not remotely as brooding, someone who actually seems to legitimately 'enjoy' being a hero, as opposed to someone simply thrust into the role. I felt this Arrow was a little too broody for my liking.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By sethysquare

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the CW, the premiere of Arrow scored a 1.3 among adults 18-49. It was also the most-watched CW premiere in 3 years, and gave the network its best adult 18-49 ratings in two years (since 10/13/10). The dreamers were right! Supernatural earned a 1.0, up two tenths from last week's 0.8 adults 18-49 rating.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By sethysquare
    TimeNetShow18-49 Rating18-49 ShareViewers Live+SD (million)
    8:00PMFOXThe X Factor (8-10PM)3.499.357
    CBSSurvivor: Philippines2.689.576
    ABCThe Middle2.477.807
    CWArrow -P1.344.017
    NBCAnimal Practice1.133.875
    8:30PMABCThe Neighbors1.956.271
    NBCGuys With Kids1.444.196

Wow.

I was really hoping for a 1.5 but, I'll settle with a 1.3

The last time anyone had numbers like that, it was Vampire Diaries.

So as long as Arrow stay on top of things, we don't have to be worried about the cancellation bear for another, I don't know, 10 seasons?

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By r3d_rob1n

I really liked the first episode. I don't think that they went too far with the drugs and the violence. For heroes like GA there has to be more violence in order for them to be taken seriously. Unlike Clark, Ollie can't super speed in and disarm everyone in the blink of an eye. His arrows have to take them out of the fight. I think the show did say that the majority of the people were put in the hospital, not killed.

I'm excited to see Deathstroke and Deadshot, I'm also interested to see how Merlyn develops. It doesn't seem like Canary is going to have any powers, though. And on a final note... BRING IN ROY!

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By deadpool25mm

@darkraven52 said:

I thought it was a good first episode and will be looking forward to the next episode :)

Xcalibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Xcalibur

This was just a rip-off Hawkeye. DC is desperate to compete with Marvel that they steal ideas from The Avengers. Lame.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By danhimself

I think what's going to keep me coming back is the promise of Deathstroke and finding out what he was doing on the island

MrGutts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By MrGutts

Honestly I hope the show ends at the 9 episodes that have already been paid for and slotted.

Way to many things that bugged the hell out of me. The main reason is the woman playing Dinah that may or may not be Black Canary? She is to weak to play a hero like BC, she is some CW model stick figure they tossed in the mix that looks like she would be to worried that she broke a nail. Is the wizard going to show up and grant her the Canary Cry and bam lets call her Canary? Then lets talk about all the bad ass training the Canary has gone trough, Oy Vey!

She just doesn't have the Presence, Attitude or even the physical prowess to pull it off.

RineUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By RineUp

i liked it

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Spideycap

I actually liked it alot. It has that Smallville kinda feel that most CW shows have, but a little darker. I love that they are going to seemingly reveal the secrets of his origin on the island slowly as flashbacks. GA has such an interesting origin and they seem like they are going to do it justice and maybe even then some. All of the action sequences where nice too, so thats a plus. Cant wait to see how it goes from here, but as of now im in.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By Bestostero

damnit, i totally forgot about this, gonna have to watch it online or look for a rerun date...

spidergirl2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By spidergirl2012

Bearded arrow is hottest arrow

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

The First episode, was really, really awesome, Exceeded my expectations.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#67  Edited By Trodorne

The episode was great, but the lines were dramatic and over the top. Obviously they are trying to sell this to a more broader audience which makes sense. So for the next generation who are getting green arrow enjoy cause you might be in for a wild ride.

soccersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By soccersss

@sethysquare said:

On the CW, the premiere of Arrow scored a 1.3 among adults 18-49. It was also the most-watched CW premiere in 3 years, and gave the network its best adult 18-49 ratings in two years (since 10/13/10). The dreamers were right! Supernatural earned a 1.0, up two tenths from last week's 0.8 adults 18-49 rating.Alth

If it can keep those ratings, that would be awesome. Although that is very unlikely

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#69  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I really liked it, hoping some of the TV show bleeds in to the comic to actually make it readable 

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#70  Edited By Ganthetsward20

I really liked this show, it lived up to the hype in my opinion i'd give it a 4 stars out of five too. They laid some good ground work and im very interested in who will be appearing in the future and I wasn't expecting the very end thing to happen. Not to mention this was way better then the current book out for Green Arrow, so if your looking for a great portrayal of our emerald archer this is the only thing out for him.

chikin_n_rofls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By chikin_n_rofls

I agree with Tony and Sara that the amount of violence was a little excessive compared to how the character is traditionally portrayed, but it made a lot of story sense. I would imagine fighting for your life for 5 years on an island would desensitize you a little bit. More importantly, I think it really served to differentiate this show from Nolan's Batman films. I thought the performances were surprisingly good. I thought Stephen Amell, in particular, did a great job juggling all the different sides of Oliver without overdoing it. Though, some of the dialog in the club scenes as well as the narration was a little clunky.

Avatar image for thesmallvillefan12
    TheSmallvillefan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It exceeded my expectations

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ThomasElliot

I truly enjoyed it.

BUT... I have to point out... THE BEST PART of the whole thing was when they called Laurel by her FULL name... Dinah Laurel Lance! All the nerds bitching about 'Laurel Lance' can STFU now!!! I can only hope, pray, that this show geeks-up to the point where Dinah Lance may actually become Black Canary.

And lo... what's this? 'Speedy' has a drug problem? You gotta admit... as much as they changed it for television, they really did a good job of adapting. I get why the tone of the show is the way it is... I like it.

snakedr321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By snakedr321

@Xcalibur: First appearances Hawkeye: 1964 Green Arrow: 1941

And if you are talking about him being on screen, there have been lots of movies and TV shows about comic characters.

donaghey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By donaghey

I have never been interested in reading the Green Arrow comic series but after what I have seen from this show and read in some of these comments about how it is very close to the year one story I'm willing to give the character a chance. I'm really looking forward to next weeks episode.

WolfMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76  Edited By WolfMonkey

anybody else catch that reference to Dan didio?

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#77  Edited By sj_esposito

I feel like everyone's making a big deal out of the violence unnecessarily. Honestly, there are so many shows that contain this level of violence and more on primetime TV, including shows on the CW--i.e., Vampire Diaries (it's extremely violent and sexually explicit). I think that's just the trajectory TV is going these days.

I enjoyed the show, though not too much. The acting was outright awful at some points and some parts of the story require too far a leap in logic to fit inline with the realistic take on the character that's being put forth. I thought the fighting was awesome, though.

RedHood1110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By RedHood1110

@Bestostero: It's on Friday @ 8pm eastern.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8cea74082a2
    deactivated-5a8cea74082a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with Tony's 3.5 rating. I do think the violence was a tad overdone but it may have been necessary for a pilot episode. Plus Oliver did just get off an island he was stranded on for five years and maybe he just needs to let off some steam. As long as he doesn't continue killing people throughout the show. The dialogue was pretty cheesy at times and I hope they improve with that. I enjoyed Amell's performance juggling between Oliver Queen and Green Arrow. I also enjoyed the Speedy reference and I hope that they add some trick arrows into the show. Overall it was pretty good and I'm looking forward to next week's episode.

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#80  Edited By pingclang

I really enjoyed the show. I'm a huge GA fan and was disappointed when I read about some of the changes made to his story before the show aired but it works and makes for very good television. My primary gripe is that Oliver Queen/Green Arrow has always let his opinion be known and freely spoken his mind and that just didn't seem to be here. I understand they want dark but GA`s personality is one of his biggest assets and he just doesn't have much of a personality right now. I really want to see him raise hell on someone and if he doesn't call Dinah "Pretty Bird" at some point, I will weep a bit. All aside it was an awesome premier and I think with time it may grow into something amazing.

sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#81  Edited By sweatboy

does the arrow in the eye of the Deathstroke MASK mean that Deathstroke is DEAD? So they definitely met on the island, i.e BEFORE the show starts, so we would likely see him in the flashbacks

Axis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Axis

I like how the first episode was fast paced - I was worried that the first episode would be a complete origin and spend the entire 40 minutes on the island (That reminds me, I love how they mentioned LOST).

psynetrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#83  Edited By psynetrix

"Pilot" was an unexpected, nice surprise. I am very excited with this new show. I hope it helps the comic book side of the character.

Please check my mini-review of ARROW here:

http://bit.ly/R1zeCd

Comments and feedback are always welcome!

No Caption Provided
    mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By mightypug78

@Xcalibur: green arrow, created 1941. hawkeye, created 1964. green arrow came first.

snakedr321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By snakedr321

@mightypug78: Nice,I told him that too. haha

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By The_Ghostshell

They busted out Stroke's mask in the first episode......does this mean he was there on the island with Ollie O_O

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#87  Edited By Deranged Midget

@k4tzm4n said:

I thought the pilot was... alright. Some of the dialogue/acting was cheesy/awkward and there were a few things in the plot that bugged me. I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeally curious to see how they'll address Ollie flat-out choking out his security guard -- if they even decide to address it instead of just moving forward. That'll be tough to talk your way out of. Also, I know it happens all the time in shows like this, but it's pretty funny how terrible the bad guys are when it comes to aim. The final twist didn't really grab me and I thought it was hilarious police were searching the office but somehow the blinking USB/hacking arrow right on the wall eluded them. Worst. Detectives. Ever.

I'm sounding like a negative nancy, so how about some positives. The action (despite the atrocious aim) was really entertaining, as were the stunts. The flashbacks are what interested me the most, so I'm going to stick around to see more of Ollie's training and what took place on the island (not to mention Stephen Amell did a solid job). Plus, how could I not keep watching after Deathstroke was so blatantly teased?! I like they're throwing in a lot of extras for comic fans -- but Drakon's treatment has me questioning how they'll handle the likes of Deadshot and others. Guess I'll have to wait and see. Overall, I'd probably give the pilot a 3/5.

PS.

Drakon :(

Just watched the episode and I guess I was a little more lenient :P I was quickly drawn into the story and I'm extremely interested to see where it goes from here. Amell did a great job as Oliver and I'm liking how they're shaping out future characters such as Dinah. Although, I can't help but agree on the USB arrow that Oliver used to hack Hunt's account. A SWAT team entered the office and honestly didn't see an arrow stuck in wall 3 feet behind the desk?

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By HexThis

I think Arrow has potential but I think the only way that potential will be fully realized is with a cast of killer side characters (the HUNTRESS & the Royal Flush hopefully). To be honest, I didn't really find Stephen Amell to be the best actor even though his physicality was really top notch. I also felt the same about Katie Cassidy, she didn't seem to have the "bite" I imagine a lawyer of her caliber would. This is my problem with the CW always, they're so superficial. It's not that I have anything against pretty people at all but it's only people of a particular beauty they seem to hire, it's all very LA and far too glossy.

That being said, there is time for Amell & Cassidy to grow into their characters. David Boreanaz wasn't the best actor in the beginning of Buffy but he became a lot better as time went on.

I don't think the drug use was excessive and the violence? Not too bad either, definitely not gory or prolonged.

RoTheKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By RoTheKid

I enjoyed the pilot as well and I was pleasantly surprised. I was concerned that it was going to be campy, but I was a bit taken aback to see Oliver kill. However, I got over it real quickly and just rolled with it. I do think that some of the acting was a little bit cheesy and there were a few plot holes, but all in all, I would give this show another chance!

Praetor_fenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#90  Edited By Praetor_fenix

It was an ok show, i think the only thing i really didn't like was Dinah, ermm i mean Laurel, she's not appropiatley cast for that part, she looks like i could break her with my fingers.

infernopig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By infernopig

How the hell is drug use pushing the limit....speedy in the comics did drugs.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#92  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@k4tzm4n said:

I The final twist didn't really grab me and I thought it was hilarious police were searching the office but somehow the blinking USB/hacking arrow right on the wall eluded them. Worst. Detectives. Ever.

thank you me and my dad were laughing about how blind they were

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Tyrus

@mightypug78: @snakedr321: Exactly! But after Hawkeye debuted in comics and became extremely popular, that's when DC decided to step up for Green Arrow...

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#94  Edited By DonFelipe

@Axis said:

I like how the first episode was fast paced - I was worried that the first episode would be a complete origin and spend the entire 40 minutes on the island (That reminds me, I love how they mentioned LOST).

That was so weird! Imagine you have been stuck on an island for 5 years with everyone else believing you're dead (and of course you may also think everyone else believes you're dead) and then, when you're back home, your best friend mentions "oh by the way all the LOSTies were actually dead!" ... "just like you by the way!". Ironic!

I loved it, too. Made me wanna watch LOST again. 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42. Will never forget this sequence anymore.

I liked the first episode very much and can't wait to see how the story continues. Like you said it was fast paced and the flashbacks were well dosed though I was surprised the father shot himself. Dunno if this happens in the comics, too? Doesn't really matter anyways.

hyenascar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#95  Edited By hyenascar

So I enjoyed the show with my CW filter on. By CW filter, I mean that I expected this kind of acting and actors involved. My gripe kind of mirrors another comment. I think that the girl that plays Dinah Laurel Lance, is cute, but in no way resembles what any girl with Dinah's expansive training would look like.

I have read a lot more with Black Canary (Birds of Prey) than Green Arrow. I always liked Dinah because she put so much time into her training, because she took her fitness seriously. I haven't read as much Green Arrow so this might be my gateway into something new.

Avatar image for jacksonvillewriter
    jacksonvillewriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The show was decent overall. The tone was noticeably darker than Smallville, but it still held the same cheesy dialogue between characters. It's a little frustrating when the writing/acting are better on the Young Justice cartoon than they are on a live action series. I'm hoping it gets better over time.

I didn't have a problem with the drug references. I felt that they were alluding to the original Speedy's drug addiction in the comic. I don't want to see her arc solely based on drugs though. I'll pass on watching a "very special episode" of Arrow where she hits bottom and goes to rehab.

The highlight for me was seeing Deathstroke's mask on the island. I'm not a Deathstroke fan, but it was so ominous that I will definitely be checking back to see how the story unfolds.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@jacksonvillewriter said:

I don't want to see her arc solely based on drugs though. I'll pass on watching a "very special episode" of Arrow where she hits bottom and goes to rehab.

U just know its coming though.

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Lamenoire

@ULTRAstarkiller said:

@k4tzm4n said:

I The final twist didn't really grab me and I thought it was hilarious police were searching the office but somehow the blinking USB/hacking arrow right on the wall eluded them. Worst. Detectives. Ever.

thank you me and my dad were laughing about how blind they were

guys, the police wasn't here when it started blinking. There was a guy changing the windows and bodyguards, and Hunt on the phone aarguing with his bank (probably) but that's all.

If you don't believe me, watch it again

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By sethysquare

@soccersss said:

@sethysquare said:

On the CW, the premiere of Arrow scored a 1.3 among adults 18-49. It was also the most-watched CW premiere in 3 years, and gave the network its best adult 18-49 ratings in two years (since 10/13/10). The dreamers were right! Supernatural earned a 1.0, up two tenths from last week's 0.8 adults 18-49 rating.Alth

If it can keep those ratings, that would be awesome. Although that is very unlikely

why is it unlikely? Even if ratings drop, there are still other shows on cw that are way behind arrow in ratings.

I believe, the only competition is TVD. Being in the top 2 guarantees that there would be no cancellation

blastaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By blastaar

@Dernman said:

Yea it was really good. Was surprised they allowed killing for some reason but it works.

Yeaaa....moar blood & guts.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.