Follow

Goku

Character » Goku appears in 1424 issues.

The main protagonist and hero of the Dragon Ball manga series and animated television series created by Akira Toriyama. He is one of the survivors of the extinct Saiyan race. Sent as a baby to planet Earth in order to destroy it. When he arrived he was a violent kid, due to his warrior nature. However, he suffered an accident which made him lose his memory. He became a kind and calm kid. Trained, he became a talented martial artist and world's greatest defender.

Goku weak to Magma?

LoudCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LoudCloud

I saw a while ago a post listing Goku's weaknesses and it said:

- Avoids his unfair advantages in a fight, most of the time.

- Too forgiving.

- Limited Ki.

- Can't breathe in space.

- Vulnerable to magma.

But I don't seem to recall any magma from the episodes I watched and books I read. Can anyone post a scan or give any sort of info on this? I'm curious.

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loudcloud: IIRC, Goku got burned, not severely or even noticeably, by Magma in the Freiza Saga.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weren't he and frieza taking dips in lava when he went ssj later?

NeonPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes that's why most Japanese comics make no sense to me

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ximpossibrux

@loudcloud said:

- Too forgiving.

- Limited Ki.

- Vulnerable to magma.

But I don't seem to recall any magma from the episodes I watched and books I read. Can anyone post a scan or give any sort of info on this? I'm curious.

Avoid unfair advantages? He did that ONCE vs Frieza, he uses a Spirit Bomb from the Earth which is unfair vs Kid Buu, turned into a God to combat Bills even though that was unfair he was allowed help, used Piccolo to kill Raditz which was unfair, tries to get a Sensu Bean from Krillin vs Andoird 19 when he was losing which is unfair.

If the whole world is at stake, he won't hesitate to fight "unfair" which isn't really unfair, it's called fighting smart.

Too forgiving? How?

Superman, Batman, Spiderman ect can't bring themselves to kill a villain but Goku does, that makes THEM to forgiving. Also, it only worked as a weakness ONCE, and that was facing Raditz... he blasted chopped in half Frieza, killed Kid Buu, killed Yakon. It's not too forgiving, it's trying to convert bad people into good guys, EG Vegeta and Piccolo.

Limited Ki, i'll give you that.

Breathing in space, errr they were well above the Earth's atmosphere in Battle of Gods.

Vulnerable to Magma? Where did it show this?

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
    thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@princearagorn1 said:

Yes that's why most Japanese comics make no sense to me

...why?

houseshm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

goku in space, goku cant breath in space weakness needs to be taken off.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

TheReptile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Too forgiving.

- Limited Ki.

- Vulnerable to magma.

No Caption Provided

its GT but Goku fought Nuova Shenron who's skin was hotter then the surface of the sun.

eternalnature

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like how everybody forgot about goku's tail

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Nuova's attacks were really anywbere near as hot as the sun, the surrounding area would have been vaporized. Also, I wouldn't so easily believe Goku's claims saying star level heat wouldn't bother him. I doubt he even knows how hot the sun is.

LoudCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ximpossibrux: - Worded it wrong. Basically he (most of the time) wants enemies to fight at their best.

- Sometimes, not always. Sometimes he trusts or is convinced too quick.

- Fine.

- He can go for a long time without it, but it was stated many times he can't forever. And when fighting Bill he went ssj God at some point (could have different physics to normal Goku).

- Dunno, that's why I asked.

LoudCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@houseshm: Like I said, he can go for a long time without it, but it was stated many times he can't forever. And when fighting Bill he went ssj God at some point (could have different physics to normal Goku).

AngryHulks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Nuova's attacks were really anywbere near as hot as the sun, the surrounding area would have been vaporized. Also, I wouldn't so easily believe Goku's claims saying star level heat wouldn't bother him. I doubt he even knows how hot the sun is.

It depends on which layer of the Sun. 6000 degree Celsius is the temperature of the surface of the Sun (as hot as Earth's core). I doubt Goku can take the temperature as hot as inner layer of the Sun, which at core can be as hot as 15 million Kelvin.

However, Goku said "considerable damage," which implies that at this temperature, the heat should still be able to hurt him, but just not enough to give him a detrimental injury, probably more like sunburn or so.

LoudCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thereptile: SSJ4 in not canon. Anyway, Akira Toriyama didn't properly work with the creators of GT, so many little details in GT don't match what the little details in DBZ.

Avatar image for back_stabbath95
    Back_stabbath95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Back_stabbath95

When he has his tail it seems to be a big weakness. The space thing I don't see as credible given the fact bardock and all the normal saiyans(non-supers) were in space when they were trying to retaliate and kill frieza. I'm not sure about the magma, broly wasn't phased by it but he also has those forcefields and unlimited ki as log as es in legendary

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

This is Goku's kryptonite:

No Caption Provided

TheReptile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loudcloud:

@thereptile: SSJ4 in not canon. Anyway, Akira Toriyama didn't properly work with the creators of GT, so many little details in GT don't match what the little details in DBZ.

thats true but Goku being weak to heat is ridiculous because when Roshi used his Thunder Shock surprise technique on Goku it didn't fry him.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Web_Flotsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ximpossibrux: He didn't cut Freeza in half, Freeza cut himself in half because he's an idiot who's unaware of where his own attacks are in battle. And then he almost let him go again, but fortunately Freeza was still an idiot and attacked him. Otherwise, you're right.

LoudCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thereptile: Electricity does produce heat but not to the same point as lava. Electricity does damage by muscle, nerve, and tissue destruction from a current (the mere force of the current), by a neurological effect (brain malfunctions) and, yes, heat but not to the same level as molten lava.

LoudCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for kaijukinggojira
    KaijuKingGojira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't Goku take a bath in lava?

brainstorm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

after become a ssj he was able to take magma bath

He can fight in space but not forever since he has IT

It cant be count as a weakness.

He has enoug ki to distroy earth and continue his fight as nothing happend

GoldenOozaru22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GoldenOozaru22

@loudcloud: a single lightning bolt can be more then 5 times hotter then the surface of the sun at around 50,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

lava is a liquid at temperatures from 700 to 1,200 °C (1,292 to 2,192 °F)

LoudCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@houseshm said:

goku in space, goku cant breath in space weakness needs to be taken off.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Agreed

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is Goku's kryptonite:

No Caption Provided

Th

This is accurate to a T!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76
    deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

NO ONE CAN BREATHE IN SPACE!!! THERE IS NO AIR IN SPACE! YOU CAN'T BREATHE WHAT ISN'T THERE! Now to the topic, Saiyans can survive on their energy alone, Brolly destroying planets, Vegeta destroying a planet and chasing after SSJ Goku, Goku fighting Bills. Akira Toriyama made it happen, So it's canon. Goku is cool as fuck and you ain't taking that from him.

Back_stabbath95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Instant transmission is IT for who asked, and I'm pretty sure bardock and te whole saiyan army were in space and bardock was speaking to frieza about his tyranny before he got tem all killed so they can survive in space but can't breathe, there's no oxygen even superman fanboys would have to agree with that(supes doesn't breathe in space) but back on topic lava I don't think is a weakness to saiyans either idk If it's canon or not but broly vs gohan in movie two went under magma and he came out fine though e does have those powerful forcefields..god broly is bad***. But I think comic fans take saiyans for chimps those who don't like manga. I'm more comic but grew up with dbz I think it's great. But...goku's tail when e has one, need I say more

LoudCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@back_stabbath95: Broly is NOT canon. Isn't and never will be! Why does nobody get a clue?

But thanks for clarifying IT.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back_stabbath95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loudcloud: True but es still badass no doubting that. I can't recall any other specific scenarios where goku or any saiyans are against magma but then again I'm no dbz fanatic so I'm sure I'm wrong

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

GOKU IS THE STRONGEST HE DEFEATS EVERYONE HERPDERP

alcoholbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The troll is strong with this one.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This probably due to the fact that his allies were sure he was dead when he was seemingly swallowed by lava on Namek. I cant think of any time he came in contact lava in canon, so I dont know if this is an actual vulnerability, or just his friends underestimating him as usual.

As far as breathing in space, that scan doesnt really prove anything. He could still technically be in the atmosphere. He has also been shown capable of going without oxygen for long periods of time, such as when he is underwater. I think, since it has been explicitly stated as such, that Goku cannot survive indefinitely in space.

Avatar image for theamazingbatman
    theamazingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By theamazingbatman

@loudcloud said:

- Too forgiving.

- Limited Ki.

- Vulnerable to magma.

Well mostly avoids his unfair advantages but not always .

He does forgive people and allow his enemies to escape but when he knows that the enemy won't back down ( i.e. ginyu force) he is forced to pummel them. He also has killed people but it's for the greater good. ( Lex Luthor creates and evil plan and cause some major damage and then superman comes and struggles to defeat luthor and sometimes get gravely injured . After supes defeat luthor , luthor is sent to jail but after some time is freed and again creates a evil plan , kills many people and after getting his butt kicked again by super man goes to jail and again escapes and so on.) Why not kill Luthor??? He has killed thousands of citizens and supes know that he won't change jis evil ways and never kills him , this is BORING . Supes defeat the same foes again and again . He just kills doomsday .

Yes , goku has limited ki but he has more than enough ki for fighting and he can fight prolonged battles but will eventually grow weaker.

Saiyans CAN breathe in space. Bardock and hundreds of other saiyans were breathing in space goku went to moon without any oxygen mask or suit. Vegeta was training on a asteroid and brolly also breathes in space.

He is invulnerable to magma , perhaps he was once vulnerable to magma but not anymore.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly don't know where this idea, that DBZ characters are weak to heat, is coming from.

I'm willing to argue that even kid Goku would be able to endure lava, at least for a short amount of time.

Firstly I'd like to start with this feat. Goku moving so fast, he became invisible even to hypersonic characters.

Do you have any idea how much heat would be generated by the friction between your feet and the ground, if you could move so fast that not even hypersonic characters can see you?

...Well neither do I exactly, but I know it would be pretty damn hot, likely much hotter than lava.

But these kind of feats are often overlooked so let's move on.

Kid Goku endured direct hit by heat from rocket engine. These kind of blasts can reach temperatures of above 1000 C

Yet he was completly fine

He endured prolonged exposure to a flame thrower, military flamethrowers often exceed 1000 C.

No Caption Provided

He endured prologned exposior to high voltage eletricity, again a great feat against heat.

No Caption Provided

• He was unharmed after a rocket exploded in his face. If he wasn't super durable against heat his face would be melted away.
    No Caption Provided

• Finally he endured a direct energy beam hit from a guy who was able to easily vaporize entire Cities,

who was stated to be able to destroy 1/43 of a planet, and who was more powerful than a Moon buster Roshi.

Later on, Frieza, who was beaten up, hit by countless energy blasts, sliced in 4 pieces, and with almost no energy left, survived a planet explosion. Explosions like that would certainly reach temperatures of above million degrees celsius.

VraiSanGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry but Goku is not weak to Magma Goku has taken Magma baths before at princess snake's place:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how's that make his a bad character -_____-

- Too forgiving.

Because he doesn't kill them? He left vegeta and freeza to fight them AGAIN

- Limited Ki.

ROLF , Enough ki to shake the planet, To instant planet Bust and to be sensed across the physical universe + Hell + Kaio realm.

SSJGSS has no time limit.

he can survive in space more than enough time to fight a entire battle

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

- Vulnerable to magma.

No Caption Provided

LoudCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashback0180: Thanks for bumping an old thread. -_-

But to answer your stuff:

1. It doesn't make him a "bad character" but it would be a disadvantage in a fight.

2. Goku has been too forgiving in certain events but whatever, that's why I was asking.

3. Ki is limited no matter how you look at it. And this thread was made before SSJ God SSJ.

4. He's still within the atmosphere otherwise he wouldn't be able to talk to Beerus.

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By flashback0180

@loudcloud: o_o the thread was active when I commented ,i didn't bump it.

1 . irreverent to the point ,following a code or a disadvantaged fighting style doesn't make him a bad character.

2. He left them alive, he didn't go easy on them. It's a big difference. Hell Goku has killed people without thinking twice. He killed drum with a kick. Goku crippled nappa, he said nappa won't be able to fight again, which is why vegeta killed him.

3.ki is limited as stamina is limited to any person, what's your point. The only counter is infinite energy.

4 . Real life logic doesn't apply to fiction logic . Freeza was seen talking in deep space, superman has talked in deep space, z has talked on space.

Oznaug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loudcloud: o_o the thread was active when I commented ,i didn't bump it.

1 . irreverent to the point ,following a code or a disadvantaged fighting style doesn't make him a bad character.

2. He left them alive, he didn't go easy on them. It's a big difference. Hell Goku has killed people without thinking twice. He killed drum with a kick. Goku crippled nappa, he said nappa won't be able to fight again, which is why vegeta killed him.

3.ki is limited as stamina is limited to any person, what's your point. The only counter is infinite energy.

4 . Real life logic doesn't apply to fiction logic . Freeza was seen talking in deep space, superman has talked in deep space, z has talked on space.

Lordofthelepus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@houseshm: yes and the right after words in the Return of Frieza film they said Vegeta can't breath in space.

IRHP87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Nuova's attacks were really anywbere near as hot as the sun, the surrounding area would have been vaporized.

You can't fully apply logic to fiction, it just doesn't work that way. SSj4 Goku might get a sunburn from prolonged exposure since he stated that he won't really be hurt, but he made it seem like he would be affected to some mild degree.

LunarHeretic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LunarHeretic

- That's because he has honor, something most of murican heroes don't have (cough cough, Superman).

- Again, he has a heart but that doesn't mean he will not kill you if you make something bad again

- And? He can fight during months.

- You can't breath in space because there's nothing to breath in the first place

- Oh! And heat is not a thing against Goku. Roshi hit him with lighting bolts, and they're five times hotter thanthe surface of the sun when he was a kid and they didn't kill him (not even a serious hurt), and current Goku is billion times stronger since that.

Goku4Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Goku4Forever

lol go watch dragonball super broly. goku and broly didn't even notice magma at all under earth while fighting inside of magma. lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.