Follow

Gladiator

Character » Gladiator appears in 1016 issues.

Kallark, codenamed Gladiator, was once the Praetor of the Shi'ar Imperial Guard, the most faithful servant of the Shi'ar throne. After the Shi'ar-Kree War, with the apparent death of Lilandra and Vulcan, Kallark is elevated to the position of Majestor by consensus of a desperate Shi'ar populace.

Gladiator Underated

Gladiator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Gladiator

As a huge fan of the character Gladiator I always feel that he is not written well. If you read his profile you would think he was one of the most powerful characters in the marvel universe. I have read just about every story Gladiator has been involved in and it seems that he is usually used to make another character look good. As a fan of Gladiator it always bothers me how he is written. Gladiator has the same abilities as Superman but he has also been trained in the arts of war unlike superman. It seems that alot of Gladiators powers never come into play when being written. For example when fighting another foe he never uses his super speed, if he used his super speed combained with his strength I would think he would have np taking on someone such as The Hulk. Anyways I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this trend when it comes to Gladiator.

Donnieman v5.1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Donnieman v5.1

I noticed it too. Gladiator is one of my favorite heroes and I like how his base powers are increased by his level of confidence.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#3  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

That happens to a lot of characters, but it's makes the story better in most cases. It's no fun if Gladiator just swoops in and destroys every threat. Superman can do it more because he's the star, the main character. Gladiator isn't as popular and is often a supporting character so he doesn't get to shine as much. As long as he's just a supporting character he's probably not going to get the level of exposure that you want to see because it just wouldn't work.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zee crusher

Yeah gladiator is underated he one of my favs as well like gladiator has destoryed whole planets with just his fist flown threw hearts of stars hes taken on thro in the moon beat hyerion way under rated and yes he should have beaten hulk but remember gladiator had been exspoded to some radition before the fight so he was extremly weak then.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I agree, I mean I like Gambit and all but there's no way he should be able to pull this off (but I still think its cool)

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By The_Martian

Gambler says:

"I agree, I mean I like Gambit and all but there's no way he should be able to pull this off (but I still think its cool) "
    LMAO, trying to rub it in?
    zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zee crusher

Actully he can lol think abot it gambit kinetic energy basically ambit using that as a super punch so its possibly beside gladiator onyl weighs like 400 to 600 pounds.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I mean he's quick enough to were he should have been able to dodge Gambits attack.

Gladiator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gladiator

Yeh I suppose that is why he is written the way he is. It just gets annoying when you know he shouldnt be beaten, atleast not as poorly as he always is. Kinda like watching Darth Mul die, it just makes you cringe.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zee crusher

Yeah i agree hes is quick he shold have been able to see that out of of the list that people put down peopel for being superman copy cats gdiators the strongest i know somebodys probably gonna say sentry lol.

Alladin Sane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Alladin Sane

I think they should keep the characters consistent despite what certain people involved in creating the comics the characters are in think. If Gladiators involved in a storyline he should either be successful or be defeated by someone powerful enough to beat him (like phoenix, cable, or x-man).

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By the creator

Gladiator's power levels have varied to a large degree over his career, ranging from something like the picture seen previously, to alledgidly being able to pulverise planets.

Commonly however, he seems to be on a par with Thor - for overall power level.

But I agree, he is used as a yardstick in some comics - instead of a central pivotal character.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I like him as more of a background character, a Superman type who's not the star of the show, just a good soldier.

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By the creator

Buckshot says:

"I like him as more of a background character, a Superman type who's *not* the star of the show, just a good soldier. "

There is that point but it would be nice to have a couple of issues of a title focus on him and develop him a little more instead of the sporadic appearances/development we have.

Gladiator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gladiator

Yeh my basic point wasnt that I want Gladiator to be a main hero all the time but I tire of him being used as a tool. When the invisible women got the uni power she was able to punch Gladiator so hard he was sent into another building. When the uni power joined with Gladiator he was knocked out by a force field. It is the way Gladiator is written that bugs me.

I would like to see a small series starring Gladiator. They had done a Imperial Guard short series but it was pretty bad.

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Forever

Gladiator says:

"Yeh my basic point wasnt that I want Gladiator to be a main hero all the time but I tire of him being used as a tool. When the invisible women got the uni power she was able to punch Gladiator so hard he was sent into another building. When the uni power joined with Gladiator he was knocked out by a force field. It is the way Gladiator is written that bugs me. I would like to see a small series starring Gladiator. They had done a Imperial Guard short series but it was pretty bad. "

Like Buckshot said, he should be a background character but like you said, he shouldn't just be there to get knocked around. It's harder to write a character who should be able to defeat almost anyone he goes up against. You either have to hold him back and only use him in stories where the other side has someone on his level or you have to have him be a very cautious character who lets the other side have their say or get their attacks in, while he tries to understand what they're trying to do.

If he comes in like a weapon, then you cant use him at his full power or he wipes out the X-Men or whoever else he is facing. But if he comes in like an adult playing with toddlers, and trys to figure out what they are up to before instantly punishing them, then you could get some good use out of him without turning him into a tool.

Gladiator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gladiator

Some very good points made here. Im glad to see that im not the only one that has noticed this trend. I remember there was a story where Gladiator and Wolverine fought, i think it lasted 7 days or something ending with Gladiator breaking one of wolverines claws. Till this day i cant figure out how wolverine lasted 7 days against Gladiator. The writers just need to come up with more creative ways to write Gladiator if they are going to use him in stories.

Alladin Sane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Alladin Sane

Weellll, Wolverine once had all of his skin and internal organs burned away and yet still regenerated, so I can imagine him lasting that long, as long as most of that "survival" was spent recovering from gladiators blows, which I'm sure it wasn't.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Poo poo.

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zero edge

HYBRIDrpg says:

"http://hybrid-rpg.blogspot.com/
    " />http://hybrid-rpg.blogspot.com/"

No.

Leah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Leah

Gladiator is very much a "yardstick" character. Like when Jet-Ass, I mean Cannonball beat Gladiator in Uncanny X-Men, that was done so Jet-Ass would seem like a more formidable character. Also, I can't stop calling Cannonball Jet-Ass. Gladiator is obviously Claremont's Superman knockoff with a mohawk and an attitude problem, but he should be used better. Really, he's a great character.

MAD is the man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MAD is the man

Gladiator says:

"Some very good points made here. Im glad to see that im not the only one that has noticed this trend. I remember there was a story where Gladiator and Wolverine fought, i think it lasted 7 days or something ending with Gladiator breaking one of wolverines claws. Till this day i cant figure out how wolverine lasted 7 days against Gladiator. The writers just need to come up with more creative ways to write Gladiator if they are going to use him in stories."
    I know this is an old subject, and I agree with most of what was written but you might be underrating wolverine. For one point and we don't know for a fact but wolverine is probably much olderthan Gladiator and has been fighting before he was born. He has been in fights with others lasting dayssuch as Omega red. Gladiator could knock him across a few states so he would need to keep wanting to fighting, but Wolverine could take it and keep going. In my very one sided opinion Wolverinecould best super man him self...maybe not but he could fight him for 7 days and brake a claw.
    Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Apparition

MAD is the man says:

"Gladiator says:
    "Some very good points made here. Im glad to see that im not the only one that has noticed this trend. I remember there was a story where Gladiator and Wolverine fought, i think it lasted 7 days or something ending with Gladiator breaking one of wolverines claws. Till this day i cant figure out how wolverine lasted 7 days against Gladiator. The writers just need to come up with more creative ways to write Gladiator if they are going to use him in stories. "
    I know this is an old subject, and I agree with most of what was written but you might be underrating wolverine. For one point and we don't know for a fact but wolverine is probably much older than Gladiator and has been fighting before he was born. He has been in fights with others lasting days such as Omega red. Gladiator could knock him across a few states so he would need to keep wanting to fighting, but Wolverine could take it and keep going. In my very one sided opinion Wolverine could best super man him self...maybe not but he could fight him for 7 days and brake a claw. "

are you crazy? that's why people say wolverine is overrated. wolverine shouldnt be able to do anything against gladiator and certainly not superman! i'm not trying to attack you, cause i dont know you ;), but you should be able to look at their powers and know that wolverine should have no chance against either of them.

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By weaponxx

wolverine may not be able to much to either superman or gladiator but they can't do much to him except drop him off in a different solar system so they don't have to fight him for awhile. wolverine will keep comming back. as for breaking of the claw, i don't like that and don't see how that happened. wolverine could totally take superman if he did his research. kryptonite is no secret and all he has to do is have some of that with him and superman is done.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Gladiator is overrated if you ask me.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

weaponx says:

"wolverine may not be able to much to either superman or gladiator but they can't do much to him except drop him off in a different solar system so they don't have to fight him for awhile. wolverine will keep comming back. as for breaking of the claw, i don't like that and don't see how that happened. wolverine could totally take superman if he did his research. kryptonite is no secret and all he has to do is have some of that with him and superman is done."

YOUR FANBOYISM IS SHOWING

Alladin Sane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Alladin Sane

Gambler says:

"I agree, I mean I like Gambit and all but there's no way he should be able to pull this off (but I still think its cool)"

I just read this comic and the "gladiator" that gambit is fighting is a skrull, who imitates gladiator's appearance and powers (through use of some fancy skrull technology). SO perhaps he is weaker than the real gladiator

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Logic Mark III says:

"Gladiator needs a little 4 part series showing him to be the henchmo that he is. Wanna see him move planets, kill Armadas, blow out stars and generally ruin everybody. I had hoped he would be in the first Annihilation and given a boost like all the characters involved in that [loved Annihilation gave Ronan and Super Skrull the respect they deserved]. Does anyone have a more recent Official Handbook entry for Gladiator. I have an old one but it is really lacking in any kind of good detail and still supposes a lot about him."

The handbooks newest handbook are in alphabetical order,but they don't tell you what characters they are going to cover in it...so I might have the one with him in it,but I wouldn't know.To lazy to skim through.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Logic Mark III says:

"No i think it was the real Gladiator in that pick he was mind controlled by a Skrull Xavier. That Gladiator was weird as anything, Warbird [a 6 tonner ?] managed to hurt him in close combat, and claimed she was as strong as him."

Warbird was as strong as him.

Logic Mark III

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Logic Mark III

Gladiator needs a little 4 part series showing him to be the henchmo that he is. Wanna see him move planets, kill Armadas, blow out stars and generally ruin everybody. I had hoped he would be in the first Annihilation and given a boost like all the characters involved in that [loved Annihilation gave Ronan and Super Skrull the respect they deserved].

Does anyone have a more recent Official Handbook entry for Gladiator. I have an old one but it is really lacking in any kind of good detail and still supposes a lot about him.

Logic Mark III

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Logic Mark III

No i think it was the real Gladiator in that pick he was mind controlled by a Skrull Xavier. That Gladiator was weird as anything, Warbird [a 6 tonner ?] managed to hurt him in close combat, and claimed she was as strong as him.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Logic Mark III says:

"Lilandras sister is it Deathbird or warbird...which is it?."
    Deathbird...Warbird beat her too.Warbird is Carol Danvers.
    Post Edited:2008-06-05 19:35:18
    Logic Mark III

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Logic Mark III

Lilandras sister is it Deathbird or warbird...which is it?.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By HellionVulcan
    Logic Mark III said:
    "

Gladiator needs a little 4 part series showing him to be the henchmo that he is. Wanna see him move planets, kill Armadas, blow out stars and generally ruin everybody. I had hoped he would be in the first Annihilation and given a boost like all the characters involved in that [loved Annihilation gave Ronan and Super Skrull the respect they deserved].

Does anyone have a more recent Official Handbook entry for Gladiator. I have an old one but it is really lacking in any kind of good detail and still supposes a lot about him.

"
    Yes i agree Gladiator's past needs to be shown but i don't think marvel has faith in his overall character for it to be done .. .
    the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By the creator

Logic Mark III says

No, not to my knowledge.
    scuzz2.0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By scuzz2.0

sum 1 said that the reason that wolverine could last 7 days is because he is older than glads and has been fighting since before he was born but i am pretty sure glads is at least a few thousand years old!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Logic Mark III said:
    Lilandras sister is it Deathbird or warbird...which is it?.
    Can you not read? Warbird is Ms.Marvel\Carol Danvers.Deathbird is Lilandra's sister.
    Now back on topic...Gladiator is not underated..he's overrated.People think he can do a bunch of sh#t he can't do and make arguments for him against people..he could never beat.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Untouchable my ass
    Untouchable my ass
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Gambler said:
    "
    Untouchable my ass
    Untouchable my ass
    "
    LOL

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.