Follow

G.I. Joe

Team » G.I. Joe appears in 1182 issues.

G.I. Joe is America's elite fighting force. They are the best trained counter-terrorist team. The only defense against the villainous terrorist organization, Cobra.

G.I. Joe Cobra

Pbott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pbott

Hey guys Im a huge Cobra fan. I have read every cobra issue since the first mini and love it. In fact I would say that Cobra is hands down one of the top 10 ongoings right now. My question is that are the other two Joe books worth reading (G.I. Joe and Snake eyes)? I have herd mixed things about and would like to know if they are worth picking up from the beginning and catch up to cobra.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By jsphsmth

The first volume of the GI Joe ongoing was a little slow. It didn't read like a classic Chuck Dixon tale. He was laying a lot of groundwork for the series that never really panned out.   

You can skip GI Joe Origins completely. They were primarily done-in-one stories and the Larry Hama arcs have no bearing on the current ongoings because he left to write the other GI Joe ongoing.

I would suggest picking up GI Joe volume 2 and Snake Eyes starting with the Cobra Civil War. I am enjoying them much more than Chuck's fist run. If you are already reading one title, you should enjoy all three.  

The next arc, Cobra Command, will tie all three books together very tightly according to Chuck and Mike Costa, so you will probably need to read all three to enjoy any one series.
    jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By jsphsmth

I forgot to mention that IDW put out an omnibus for GI Joe volume 1 that is incredibly inexpensive.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.