spankymac314's Ghost Rider #0.1 - Give Up The Ghost review

Avatar image for spankymac314

I am ALL ABOUT this!

Full disclosure: I'm a huge Ghost Rider fan. Seriously, the character, especially the Johnny Blaze iteration, just does it for me. Danny Ketch is fine, but nothing beats good ol' white trash Blaze. And he delivers in this issue, from start to finish .We start out with Ghost Rider dealing with a giant fire demon, and a minor betrayal from the "woman" he saved. The highlight of this? "Incorrect Nirvana reference! For this, it must die!" It doesn't make much sense out of context, but the joke is awesome. Then we switch to a bar, where a man named Adam offers to free Blaze from the curse of the Rider. After saving a woman from a riot, and waking up in her home, he has a freak out, then agrees to Adam's terms, to give up being The Rider and give the curse to Adam. In order to do this, he has to "Ride so fast it rips the Rider off his bones". Awesome. The story's obviously starting slow, and there's not a lot of plot here, but what's there is awesome. The art is good, but nothing to write home about. That said, I am SOLD on this series. One of my favorite characters gets a new book, so I'm happy.