Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4687 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

Should Gambit get Another New Ongoing?

• 60 results
    Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mutant X

I think that this would be an awesome idea. Wolverine's got his own ongoings, Deadpool does, why not Gambit?

Opinions?.....

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Korg

I don't think gambit could support his own ongoing series, especially at a time where he is barely relevant in the one comic he is currently appearing in. 

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

10th times a charm?

Most of Deadpool's solo runs have done well, all of Gambit's have failed. They're gonna need a phenomenal story to make it work.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PrinceIMC

Well we've had Gambit & Bishop and Cable & Deadpool. Bishop is now in Cable.....so that means.....Gambit & Deadpool! Its just simple chemistry.

Nibiru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nibiru

No. No. No. No! NO!

Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mutant X
    PrinceIMC said:
    "Well we've had Gambit & Bishop and Cable & Deadpool. Bishop is now in Cable.....so that means.....Gambit & Deadpool! Its just simple chemistry."
    Gambit and Deadpool... hmmm... that'd be cool.

inferiorego said:
    "10th times a charm?Most of Deadpool's solo runs have done well, all of Gambit's have failed. They're gonna need a phenomenal story to make it work."
    You're absolutely right. None of Gambit's series have been successful. With a good [[better]] writer, though, it could work.

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chaos Agent

Don't see why not and I am really surprised he didn't get one for the movie

Wolverine already had 7 titles in which he was appearing (Wolverine, Wolverine Origins, New Avengers, Uncanny X-men, Astonishing X-men, X-force, Wolverine: First class) and they gave him another (Wolverine: Weapon X) just because of the movie

Deadpool got two ongoings (Deadpool and Deadpool: Merc with a mouth) and a miniseries (Deadpool: Suicide Kings)

And Gambit only got a one-shot featuring his origin? Seriously I would pick a Gambit ongoing over Deadpool's any given day

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8  Edited By The_Martian

I would read it, but I don't need one.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    Mutant X said:
    "PrinceIMC said:
    "Well we've had Gambit & Bishop and Cable & Deadpool. Bishop is now in Cable.....so that means.....Gambit & Deadpool! Its just simple chemistry."

inferiorego said:
    "10th times a charm?Most of Deadpool's solo runs have done well, all of Gambit's have failed. They're gonna need a phenomenal story to make it work."
    You're absolutely right. None of Gambit's series have been successful. With a good [[better]] writer, though, it could work."
    problem is, many of the x-writers right now (not counting Ellis) aren't anything to shake a stick at.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By pixelized

3 failed ones right?

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chaos Agent
    inferiorego said:
    "Mutant X said:
    "PrinceIMC said:

inferiorego said:
    You're absolutely right. None of Gambit's series have been successful. With a good [[better]] writer, though, it could work."
    problem is, many of the x-writers right now (not counting Ellis) aren't anything to shake a stick at."
    well Fraction (on other things) is awesome and I was loving Mike Carey's run but don't know how it is because I dropped with the original sin crossover
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Fraction is pretty awesome,. forgot about him

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PrinceIMC

I just think they've screwed up Gambit in the past few years, blind, healed, Horseman of Apocalypse, cured. Too hard to make him compelling. He's only appearing in one X-Book I don't think many people are clamoring for his own book.

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chaos Agent
    pixelized said:
    "3 failed ones right?"
    2...but wasn't one a maxiseries anyway?
    Avatar image for bobagentofhydra
    bobagentofhydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bobagentofhydra

I hope they do,  I'd def read.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#16  Edited By xerox_kitty

Chaos Agent said:

"pixelized said:
    "3 failed ones right?"
    2...but wasn't one a maxiseries anyway?"

"Maxi Series" is just a way of saying 'it started as an on going series, but it failed to have enough sales to keep making it' :p

Anyway, Gambit has had plenty of failed series.  He's a misfit, better suited to being a shadowy trouble-maker in a team than a solo player in the spotlight.  Although some of them were only mini, or crossed over with other characters, they were all given the same below mediocre treatment.  Based on this history, I'd rather see the character killed off than in yet another dreadful solo series.

Gambit 1994

Wolverine/Gambit 1995

Nightman/Gambit 1996

Gambit 1997

Gambit & Bishop 2001

Gambit 1999 - 2001

Gambit 2004 - 2005

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iLLituracy

Gambit series fail. I remember the 2004 series. It was one of my first comics...and it was horrible.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WARLOCK2792

NO.

marvelgirl99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By marvelgirl99

YES!
    I don't understand why people are saying he's had so many failed series. Its not even true.
    He's had two miniseries (i.e. MEANT to end) and two on-goings. His 2nd on-going was half-@$$ed and terribly written. That's why it failed. Add to that the fact that they weren't doing anything with his character at the time. His first on-going did pretty well until it was arbitrarily cancelled by Marvel. I even looked up the sales figures. AND it was well-written (Nicieza, people!). Jeez! What on earth is with all the Gambit hate on this forum??

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    marvelgirl99 said:
    "YES! I don't understand why people are saying he's had so many failed series. Its not even true. He's had two miniseries (i.e. MEANT to end) and two on-goings. His 2nd on-going was half-@$$ed and terribly written. That's why it failed. Add to that the fact that they weren't doing anything with his character at the time. His first on-going did pretty well until it was arbitrarily cancelled by Marvel. I even looked up the sales figures. AND it was well-written (Nicieza, people!). Jeez! What on earth is with all the Gambit hate on this forum??"
    He is not interesting enough to hold a title on his own.  What has he done?  Seriously.  He isn't like Storm (important) and he goes around with a stick and cards.  There isn't enough going on (at least, at this time) for him to get a series on his own.  Not to mention the fact that many people are not interested in hearing from Gambit again.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iLLituracy

It's not Gambit-hate...I just don't like him as a solo-character. Like I said, I only read his 2005 series, which was horrible fail, but I don't see him working as a solo-character, really.

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Chaos Agent
    White Mage said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    "YES! I don't understand why people are saying he's had so many failed series. Its not even true. He's had two miniseries (i.e. MEANT to end) and two on-goings. His 2nd on-going was half-@$$ed and terribly written. That's why it failed. Add to that the fact that they weren't doing anything with his character at the time. His first on-going did pretty well until it was arbitrarily cancelled by Marvel. I even looked up the sales figures. AND it was well-written (Nicieza, people!). Jeez! What on earth is with all the Gambit hate on this forum??"
    He is not interesting enough to hold a title on his own.  What has he done?  Seriously.  He isn't like Storm (important) and he goes around with a stick and cards.  There isn't enough going on (at least, at this time) for him to get a series on his own.  Not to mention the fact that many people are not interested in hearing from Gambit again. "
    storm is interesting?
    WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    Chaos Agent said:
    "White Mage said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    He is not interesting enough to hold a title on his own.  What has he done?  Seriously.  He isn't like Storm (important) and he goes around with a stick and cards.  There isn't enough going on (at least, at this time) for him to get a series on his own.  Not to mention the fact that many people are not interested in hearing from Gambit again. "
    storm is interesting?"
    Black Panther has made her more interesting.  Thus, the reason why she got another solo series to begin with.
    WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    White Mage said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    Note that I said "Important"
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    White Mage said:
    Black Panther has made her more interesting.  Thus, the reason why she got another solo series to begin with. "
    She was interesting before than.Black Panther just gives more people a chance to figure it out.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    marvelgirl99 said:
    Sales for ALL of his series were poor, and they were ALL poorly written. Just because Nicieza was on the book doesn't mean it was well written. Great writers don't always produce great books.
    WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    Vance Astro said:
    "White Mage said:
    Black Panther has made her more interesting.  Thus, the reason why she got another solo series to begin with. "
    She was interesting before than.Black Panther just gives more people a chance to figure it out.
    "
    I know.  I meant that her level of importance has increased, and the things that she has to do now give a lot more chances for an interesting story.
    marvelgirl99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By marvelgirl99
    White Mage said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    http://xmenfilms.net/blog1/?p=160
    Gee, I guess you're right. No one cares about Gambit anymore...
    And I agree that they are not doing much with his character right now, but that needs to change.
    WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    marvelgirl99 said:
    "White Mage said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    http://xmenfilms.net/blog1/?p=160Gee, I guess you're right. No one cares about Gambit anymore...And I agree that they are not doing much with his character right now, but that needs to change."
    No offense, but I couldn't care less about what people thought about his tacky ass movie portrayal.  I hate the X-films, but I watch them so that I can get more material.
    marvelgirl99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By marvelgirl99
    inferiorego said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    Sales for ALL of his series were poor, and they were ALL poorly written. Just because Nicieza was on the book doesn't mean it was well written. Great writers don't always produce great books. "
    Okay, your saying that his solo series was poorly-written is definitely an opinion. An opinion that most people who have read his first on-going would disagree with. But that's cool.
    His sales for his first on-going were not poor at all. The first issue debuted at #5 for goodness sakes. At least give him SOME credit.
    marvelgirl99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By marvelgirl99
    White Mage said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    "White Mage said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    http://xmenfilms.net/blog1/?p=160Gee, I guess you're right. No one cares about Gambit anymore...And I agree that they are not doing much with his character right now, but that needs to change."
    No offense, but I couldn't care less about what people thought about his tacky ass movie portrayal.  I hate the X-films, but I watch them so that I can get more material. "
    Well, whether you personally care or not, it shows that you are incorrect in saying that people are uninterested in him.
    WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    marvelgirl99 said:
    "White Mage said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    "White Mage said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    No offense, but I couldn't care less about what people thought about his tacky ass movie portrayal.  I hate the X-films, but I watch them so that I can get more material. "
    Well, whether you personally care or not, it shows that you are incorrect in saying that people are uninterested in him."
    Actually, I was referring to the comic world.  Which is why I said I don't care about the movies.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    marvelgirl99 said:
    "White Mage said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    8 out of the 20 comments are for Gambit, the majority of the rest are for Creed... The vote system is a sham, I just reset my private data and voted for Creed three more times (from 83-86).... All it takes is one fanboy to ruin a voting system.....

marvelgirl99 said:
    "inferiorego said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    Sales for ALL of his series were poor, and they were ALL poorly written. Just because Nicieza was on the book doesn't mean it was well written. Great writers don't always produce great books. "
    Okay, your saying that his solo series was poorly-written is definitely an opinion. An opinion that most people who have read his first on-going would disagree with. But that's cool.His sales for his first on-going were not poor at all. The first issue debuted at #5 for goodness sakes. At least give him SOME credit."
    Cite your source and if it's true I'll give you credit....
    marvelgirl99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By marvelgirl99

Don't you think that a lot of the people who voted in that poll are also comic book fans?
    Even if you do just go with the comics, go on Marvel's page and looks up their Gambit thread and see the people complaining about the lack of Gambit. Not to mention a lot of other boards.
    I'm just saying this: If YOU don't like Gambit, that's fine, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a demand for him.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    marvelgirl99 said:
    "Don't you think that a lot of the people who voted in that poll are also comic book fans?Even if you do just go with the comics, go on Marvel's page and looks up their Gambit thread and see the people complaining about the lack of Gambit. Not to mention a lot of other boards.I'm just saying this: If YOU don't like Gambit, that's fine, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a demand for him."
    Yes, but the polling system is faulty, not credible. Fanboys always complain about their favorite character not being in a film. They've been doing it since X1. I don't mind the character, but almost no one, other than the fanboys, would see a Gambit film.
    marvelgirl99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By marvelgirl99
    inferiorego said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    "White Mage said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    8 out of the 20 comments are for Gambit, the majority of the rest are for Creed... The vote system is a sham, I just reset my private data and voted for Creed three more times (from 83-86).... All it takes is one fanboy to ruin a voting system.....

marvelgirl99 said:
    "inferiorego said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    Okay, your saying that his solo series was poorly-written is definitely an opinion. An opinion that most people who have read his first on-going would disagree with. But that's cool.His sales for his first on-going were not poor at all. The first issue debuted at #5 for goodness sakes. At least give him SOME credit."
    Cite your source and if it's true I'll give you credit...."
    You'll probably find something wrong with it anyway, but here you go:
    http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1998/1998-12.html

marvelgirl99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By marvelgirl99
    inferiorego said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    "Don't you think that a lot of the people who voted in that poll are also comic book fans?Even if you do just go with the comics, go on Marvel's page and looks up their Gambit thread and see the people complaining about the lack of Gambit. Not to mention a lot of other boards.I'm just saying this: If YOU don't like Gambit, that's fine, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a demand for him."
    Yes, but the polling system is faulty, not credible. Fanboys always complain about their favorite character not being in a film. They've been doing it since X1. I don't mind the character, but almost no one, other than the fanboys, would see a Gambit film."
    That was actually directed at White Madge. Your assertion that no one will see the film other than fanboys is, again, AN OPINION. Not a fact.
    WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    marvelgirl99 said:
    Demand does not = quality reading

Just because people enjoyed the movie doesn't mean that there are people that want to read on his book.  If they are comic fans, then they probably know of his average/below-average mini series' as well.  People get pumped up and excited when they see their favorite character in big action scenes.  It's a giving.  However, if they have to actually read it, the response might not be the same.  Also, I didn't say that there isn't a demand for him.  I did however say that he wasn't interesting enough or important enough to hold a comic on his own though.  Also, again, movies are not the same as comics.  So when I say people are not interested in hearing from him again, it means that people are probably not going to be too trusting of a series starring him, after his last two "stellar hits".
    WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    marvelgirl99 said:
    "inferiorego said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    Yes, but the polling system is faulty, not credible. Fanboys always complain about their favorite character not being in a film. They've been doing it since X1. I don't mind the character, but almost no one, other than the fanboys, would see a Gambit film."
    That was actually directed at White Mage. Your assertion that no one will see the film other than fanboys is, again, AN OPINION. Not a fact."
    fixed.

Also, I realize that by half-quoting myself, I leave a chance for misinterpretation.  So, here's what I put before.

marvelgirl99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By marvelgirl99
    White Mage said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    Demand does not = quality readingJust because people enjoyed the movie doesn't mean that there are people that want to read on his book.  If they are comic fans, then they probably know of his average/below-average mini series' as well.  People get pumped up and excited when they see their favorite character in big action scenes.  It's a giving.  However, if they have to actually read it, the response might not be the same.  Also, I didn't say that there isn't a demand for him.  I did however say that he wasn't interesting enough or important enough to hold a comic on his own though.  Also, again, movies are not the same as comics.  So when I say people are not interested in hearing from him again, it means that people are probably not going to be too trusting of a series starring him, after his last two "stellar hits"."
    Whoops. My mistake.
    Okay, fair enough. Now that you have explained a bit more I can see what you're getting at. But I still think that based on his fanbase alone, he could/should have a solo and it would work. They'd just need a good writer (unlike the last time).
    And I am not arguing with you about Gambit not doing anything recently. In fact, I cited Marvel's thread about people complaining about him not doing anything. That was never my argument.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    marvelgirl99 said:
    "White Mage said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    Demand does not = quality readingJust because people enjoyed the movie doesn't mean that there are people that want to read on his book.  If they are comic fans, then they probably know of his average/below-average mini series' as well.  People get pumped up and excited when they see their favorite character in big action scenes.  It's a giving.  However, if they have to actually read it, the response might not be the same.  Also, I didn't say that there isn't a demand for him.  I did however say that he wasn't interesting enough or important enough to hold a comic on his own though.  Also, again, movies are not the same as comics.  So when I say people are not interested in hearing from him again, it means that people are probably not going to be too trusting of a series starring him, after his last two "stellar hits"."
    Whoops. My mistake.Okay, fair enough. Now that you have explained a bit more I can see what you're getting at. But I still think that based on his fanbase alone, he could/should have a solo and it would work. They'd just need a good writer (unlike the last time).And I am not arguing with you about Gambit not doing anything recently. In fact, I cited Marvel's thread about people complaining about him not doing anything. That was never my argument."
    He's one of several X-Men that really needs something new.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

You'll like this:
    Gambit
    Dec 1998: 117,400
    Jan 1999:
    Feb 1999:66,600
    Mar 1999:63,500
    Apr 1999:59,700
    May 1999:54,000
    June 1999:51,900
    July 1999:49,300
    Aug 1999:46,400
    Sept 1999:43,200
    Oct 1999:44,300
    Nov 1999: 41,500
    Dec 1999:43,300
    Jan 2000: 39,000
    Feb 2000: 36,700
    Mar 2000: 43,400
    Apr 2000: 36,900
    May 2000: 37,100
    June 2000:
    July 2000:
    Aug 2000:
    Sept 2000:
    Oct 2000:
    Nov 2000:

After one year 1/3rd of it's sales were down.... Doesn't look that successful to me considering books like Uncanny, Wolverine, JLA, X-Men stay in the top 5 every week.

marvelgirl99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By marvelgirl99
    inferiorego said:
    "You'll like this:
    Gambit
    Dec 1998: 117,400
    Jan 1999:
    Feb 1999:66,600
    Mar 1999:63,500
    Apr 1999:59,700
    May 1999:54,000
    June 1999:51,900
    July 1999:49,300
    Aug 1999:46,400
    Sept 1999:43,200
    Oct 1999:44,300
    Nov 1999: 41,500
    Dec 1999:43,300
    Jan 2000: 39,000
    Feb 2000: 36,700
    Mar 2000: 43,400
    Apr 2000: 36,900
    May 2000: 37,100
    June 2000:
    July 2000:
    Aug 2000:
    Sept 2000:
    Oct 2000:
    Nov 2000:

After one year 1/3rd of it's sales were down.... Doesn't look that successful to me considering books like Uncanny, Wolverine, JLA, X-Men stay in the top 5 every week. "
    And just as I said, you must find something wrong with the data I presented. What does that have to do with my argument that he placed #5 for his first issue? And do you really expect a solo about an X-man to place among people such as Wolverine (who has a ridiculous amount of fanboys) and the JLA and Uncanny X-men?? That hardly seems a fair comparison/expectation. The presales may have dropped off, but they aren't terrible. He still outplaces many other comics. You aren't even being objective at this point.
    Seriously, when I look at how people praise the sales of characters like Deadpool's when his sales aren't even as good as Gambit's ever were, it boggles my mind. I just don't get it.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Yeah, I did find something wrong because your argument was weak.

"What does that have to do with my argument that he placed #5 for his first issue?"
    #1: Showing you the series failed.
    #2: Preorders for the first issue don't mean anything. The people who preordered it had never read it, you can tell the book sucked by the second month because they lost almost half of the original readers, that is a ridiculous drop off.

"And do you really expect a solo about an X-man to place among people such as Wolverine (who has a ridiculous amount of fanboys) and the JLA and Uncanny X-men??"
    If you're going to make a big deal by saying it's in the top 5, then I can compare it to other top 5 books who have no trouble keeping readership up.

"The presales may have dropped off, but they aren't terrible. He still outplaces many other comics."
    Yes, pre-sales were great, but it dropped down to 43k in the first year and 30k by the second. For an indy book that wouldn't be a problem, but it's a Marvel book...

"You aren't even being objective at this point. "
    Pot calling the kettle black.

"Seriously, when I look at how people praise the sales of characters like Deadpool's when his sales aren't even as good as Gambit's ever were, it boggles my mind. I just don't get it."
    Deadpool has only dropped 20k in readers from Sept-March... 8 months...  Not 70k like Gambit did. Plus, his sales have gone up. Plus his book has been hovering at 46. Secondly, don't worry, it'll be canceled too within a year or two, when the movie buzz and fanboys die down. Deadpool is the 2000s hyper character... Gambit was the 90s, trends come and go, and Gambit is gone.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By xerox_kitty

As a small addition to what inferiorego is saying. you should never EVER judge a comic books sales for first issues.  This isn't like music charts or box office sales.  Number one to any series will sell incredibly high numbers.  Collectors often buy multiple issues; one to read and at least one to preserve... and one of how ever many variant covers there are.  As soon as issue one has passed, then many collectors stop buying.  Some stay on to read the rest of the first story arc, and then many drop it after that.  

So to say that a popular character debuted at number 5 for issue one means nothing.  There's also very little reason to cite that as a reason why he should have a solo series now when those sales where from eleven years ago.  

This isn't about Gambit Hate.  It's about a practical look at his many failed solo/mini/cross-over series and the sub-standard art & writing that they've received.  So what if a movie going public suddenly saw a cute boy with a barely noticeable French twang?  The so-called demand of a few star-struck movie going teenaged girls who have never read a comic in their life should not dictate what below-par quality comics that real comic readers (in other words 'us') should receive.
    marvelgirl99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By marvelgirl99
    inferiorego said:
    "Yeah, I did find something wrong because your argument was weak. "What does that have to do with my argument that he placed #5 for his first issue?"#1: Showing you the series failed.#2: Preorders for the first issue don't mean anything. The people who preordered it had never read it, you can tell the book sucked by the second month because they lost almost half of the original readers, that is a ridiculous drop off. "And do you really expect a solo about an X-man to place among people such as Wolverine (who has a ridiculous amount of fanboys) and the JLA and Uncanny X-men??"If you're going to make a big deal by saying it's in the top 5, then I can compare it to other top 5 books who have no trouble keeping readership up."The presales may have dropped off, but they aren't terrible. He still outplaces many other comics."Yes, pre-sales were great, but it dropped down to 43k in the first year and 30k by the second. For an indy book that wouldn't be a problem, but it's a Marvel book... "You aren't even being objective at this point. "Pot calling the kettle black. "Seriously, when I look at how people praise the sales of characters like Deadpool's when his sales aren't even as good as Gambit's ever were, it boggles my mind. I just don't get it."Deadpool has only dropped 20k in readers from Sept-March... 8 months...  Not 70k like Gambit did. Plus, his sales have gone up. Plus his book has been hovering at 46. Secondly, don't worry, it'll be canceled too within a year or two, when the movie buzz and fanboys die down. Deadpool is the 2000s hyper character... Gambit was the 90s, trends come and go, and Gambit is gone."
    I was saying that you should give him credit because his series placed at #5 in its first issue. That doesn't mean that you can compare him to other top fivers though, as they are established reads with lots of promotion and fanboys and he is not. How can you say that Gambit is "done" when there are so many people who still love him and would want to read more about him? There are even non-comic book fans who love his character. Your assertion doesn't make any sense.
     No offense, but it seems to me that you just don't like the character very much and are therefore trying to argue that he is irrelevant. I am not here to fight with you, i am here to defend a character who I like a lot and I feel tends to get the short end of the stick on this forum.
    marvelgirl99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By marvelgirl99
    xerox-kitty said:

"...This isn't about Gambit Hate.  It's about a practical look at his many failed solo/mini/cross-over series and the sub-standard art & writing that they've received.  So what if a movie going public suddenly saw a cute boy with a barely noticeable French twang?  The so-called demand of a few star-struck movie going teenaged girls who have never read a comic in their life should not dictate what below-par quality comics that real comic readers (in other words 'us') should receive.
    "
    Okay, this is the second post that I am receiving about my Gambit-hate statement. I am NOT saying that everyone on here hates Gambit or that everyone who doesn't think he should have his own series hates him. I am just saying that I find he gets very little credit on these boards. That's all, really.
    And he has a lot of comic book readers who love him. And contrary to the belief of detractors, they are not all dewy-eyed teen-aged girls. Many men also like Gambit. He does have a bigger fanbase than many of the people on this board seem willing to admit.
    And "below-par quality comics"?  Again, an OPINION.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xerox_kitty
    marvelgirl99 said:
    "i am here to defend a character who I like a lot and I feel tends to get the short end of the stick on this forum."
    Everyone gets the short end of the stick at one time or another.  But aren't remaining impartial... You're citing sales for one issue from 1998 as a reason why a character should have a solo series in 2009. 

Hell, I love Domino, but her solo series panned... and rightfully so!  I love her as mysterious a supporting character in a team book, but as the star of a solo series?  N'ah... I'll pass.  I'd rather have a decent side-story in a team book, than a badly written and worse drawn solo.

marvelgirl99 said:
    "xerox-kitty said:

"...This isn't about Gambit Hate.  It's about a practical look at his many failed solo/mini/cross-over series and the sub-standard art & writing that they've received.  So what if a movie going public suddenly saw a cute boy with a barely noticeable French twang?  The so-called demand of a few star-struck movie going teenaged girls who have never read a comic in their life should not dictate what below-par quality comics that real comic readers (in other words 'us') should receive.
    "
    Okay, this is the second post that I am receiving about my Gambit-hate statement. I am NOT saying that everyone on here hates Gambit or that everyone who doesn't think he should have his own series hates him. I am just saying that I find he gets very little credit on these boards. That's all, really.And he has a lot of comic book readers who love him. And contrary to the belief of detractors, they are not all dewy-eyed teen-aged girls. Many men also like Gambit. He does have a bigger fanbase than many of the people on this board seem willing to admit.And "below-par quality comics"?  Again, an OPINION."
    It's not just personal opinion.  Have you actually read them?  Not as a Gambit fan, but as a critical human being?  I remember being excited to get Gambit's first Solo, and the Gambit-Wolverine: Victims mini series... and I remember being bitterly disappointed.  I have not met one person who actually argued the quality of story writing and art in any Gambit series.

Hell, I WORKED in a comic shop when the majority of Gambit's series came out.  I've already told you about comic collectors buying habits, and I stick buy it.  They buy issue 1 for potential profit.  Only it doesn't work out for them because no-one is willing to pay high prices for those terrible stories years later.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    marvelgirl99 said:
    .And "below-par quality comics"?  Again, an OPINION."
    Numbers don't lie

marvelgirl99 said:
    "inferiorego said:
    "Yeah, I did find something wrong because your argument was weak. "What does that have to do with my argument that he placed #5 for his first issue?"#1: Showing you the series failed.#2: Preorders for the first issue don't mean anything. The people who preordered it had never read it, you can tell the book sucked by the second month because they lost almost half of the original readers, that is a ridiculous drop off. "And do you really expect a solo about an X-man to place among people such as Wolverine (who has a ridiculous amount of fanboys) and the JLA and Uncanny X-men??"If you're going to make a big deal by saying it's in the top 5, then I can compare it to other top 5 books who have no trouble keeping readership up."The presales may have dropped off, but they aren't terrible. He still outplaces many other comics."Yes, pre-sales were great, but it dropped down to 43k in the first year and 30k by the second. For an indy book that wouldn't be a problem, but it's a Marvel book... "You aren't even being objective at this point. "Pot calling the kettle black. "Seriously, when I look at how people praise the sales of characters like Deadpool's when his sales aren't even as good as Gambit's ever were, it boggles my mind. I just don't get it."Deadpool has only dropped 20k in readers from Sept-March... 8 months...  Not 70k like Gambit did. Plus, his sales have gone up. Plus his book has been hovering at 46. Secondly, don't worry, it'll be canceled too within a year or two, when the movie buzz and fanboys die down. Deadpool is the 2000s hyper character... Gambit was the 90s, trends come and go, and Gambit is gone."
    I was saying that you should give him credit because his series placed at #5 in its first issue. That doesn't mean that you can compare him to other top fivers though, as they are established reads with lots of promotion and fanboys and he is not. How can you say that Gambit is "done" when there are so many people who still love him and would want to read more about him? There are even non-comic book fans who love his character. Your assertion doesn't make any sense.  No offense, but it seems to me that you just don't like the character very much and are therefore trying to argue that he is irrelevant. I am not here to fight with you, i am here to defend a character who I like a lot and I feel tends to get the short end of the stick on this forum."
    I give him credit for being hugely popular during the 90s. But, he's no where near as popular as he was 10 years ago. Now-a-days, it's all about Deadpool. Again, the character was a passing trend, there are still people who were fans of him, but nowhere near as many as lets say 1996. I bet you if he did have a new solo series he'd get 60k preorders for issue one than a 50% drop-off rate by month 6, unless he has an A-List creative team, which probably won't happen.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    xerox-kitty said:
    "marvelgirl99 said:
    "i am here to defend a character who I like a lot and I feel tends to get the short end of the stick on this forum."
    Everyone gets the short end of the stick at one time or another.  But aren't remaining impartial... You're citing sales for one issue from 1998 as a reason why a character should have a solo series in 2009. 

Hell, I love Domino, but her solo series panned... and rightfully so!  I love her as mysterious a supporting character in a team book, but as the star of a solo series?  N'ah... I'll pass.  I'd rather have a decent side-story in a team book, than a badly written and worse drawn solo.

"
    Agreed. I LOVE G'nort (Green Lantern), Nightcrawler, and MODOK, and I don't think any of those would work as a solo series, unless it had a great creative team. I'm a huge Booster Gold fan and he finally got a solo on-going, and I'll be honoest, it sucked after issue 5. Just because we love a character doesn't mean it will make a good series.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.