Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4687 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

He needs his own book, now how can this happen?

jackassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jackassassin

Im thinkin you have to drop the X-men, let him go totally solo, drop Rogue too.  Hes not a relationship guy, never will be, and last but not least, for the love of God forget all the magic trash, it dosent work, no more zombies, or new orleans spells.  Make him a legit theif for hire, I mean like Mission Impossible theif, ripping off the Vatican and high profile thefts like that.  Another thing, new costume, now keep the duster coat, you have to.  but scrap the cowel, get him some leather pants, simple tshirt, motorcycle boots, gloves and shades.  and well most important... get Ed Brubaker to write it.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Korg

He has already had like 4 series. He doesn't need another. It wouldn't sell, and Brubaker wouldn't write it

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Korg said:
    and Brubaker wouldn't write it"
    Why?
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By pixelized
    Korg said:
    "He has already had like 4 series. He doesn't need another.
    you beat me to it ]=
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Korg

Why would he? He has 5 freakin' Eisner awards to his name, and is perfectly capable of writing more mainstream books for better characters that will actually sell.

Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mutant X

Knowing Marvel, he'll probably get another ongoing again soon.

jackassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jackassassin

Ya, I konw he will, I just want one to work.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    Vance Astro said:
    "Korg said:
    Why?
    "
    Gambit is a half-@ssed one dimensional character. You're all just too blinded to see it.

Let the angry replies begin.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    inferiorego said:
    "Let the angry replies begin."
    LOL as much as I'd love to, I'm just not that angry today :)

Personally I wouldn't mind if he got another series as long as it was done well. Maybe if they explored who his real parents are, or where. Why he seems somewhat loyal to Mr. Sinister. But then again I actually think he works better with an ensemble cast. A background character who occasionally gets some shine.
    gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gunswordfist
    inferiorego said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Korg said:
    Why?
    "
    Gambit is a half-@ssed one dimensional character. You're all just too blinded to see it.Let the angry replies begin."
    No arguing here *just shoots ie instead*
    stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By stumpy49er

I would love it if Brubaker wrote a Gambit comic.  All it would take is for Brubaker to want to write it. No reason he wouldn't want to, unless he doesn't like the character. Only reason he would want to write it is if he liked the character. 
    Really, I think Gambit is a very popular character, especially for people my age who grew up watching the X Men the animated series, and I think if Marvel got a talented team to write his book, they could do great things. 
    Gambit has ALOT of potential. Just need Marvel to do something good with it.
    Then again, i haven't been a fan of much of anything Marvel has done recently, unless Brubaker is involved.
    God, just please don't let Fraction write it.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12  Edited By SC  Moderator

i like what Liu is doing with Gambit in X-23, and hopefully it can continue for maybe one or two more arcs, and be unofficially a X-23 and Gambit ongoing. lol 

Current comic market is tense though, its not a good time for any sort of ongoing for like 98 percent of all Marvel characters. I am curious to see if Silver Surfer will end with his sales above the unofficial cancelation line, Namor as well but in regards to his ongoing, which I am fearful for. So I can't imagine a Gambit book happening anytime soon, unless Bendis himself wanted to write it and Jim Lee was on art.  

Best way of going about getting it to happen otherwise I think, is to move Liu or Carey to Uncanny and if either chose to include Gambit in the main Uncanny book for a few months, and then have a Gambit ongoing spin out of that. That won't happen any time soon either though. 

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jrock85

I don't necessarily need a Gambit solo, but I would like for him to have a more prominent role within the X-Universe as well as the larger Marvel U. 

natejoseph09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By natejoseph09

I think they should rename X-23s series to X-23 and Gambit, it's obvious Liu wants to write him more. 

@Korg 
    He's had two series one of which sold pretty well untill it was cancelled because the writer had arguments with editorial. The other one was crap.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Gambit1024
    @inferiorego said:

Vance Astro said:

" Korg said:
    Why?"
    Gambit is a half-@ssed one dimensional character. You're all just too blinded to see it.Let the angry replies begin.
    :( 
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@Gambit1024 said:

@inferiorego said:

Vance Astro said:

" Korg said:
    Why?"
    Gambit is a half-@ssed one dimensional character. You're all just too blinded to see it.Let the angry replies begin.

You're not allowed to be upset about something I said before I became a staff member....

However, I think Gambit is cool, but I still don't think he could handle his own book, unless the writer was awesome.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Gambit1024
    @inferiorego: It's cool. I kind of agree, though
    stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By stumpy49er
    @inferiorego said:  

I think Gambit is cool, but I still don't think he could handle his own book, unless the writer was awesome.

Pretty much how it goes with all characters. 
    Green Lantern wouldn't be half, or even a quarter as popular if Geoff Johns wasn't writing it. Daredevil and Captain America wouldn't be as great these past couple years if Brubaker hadn't wrote them for so long. Heck, if Miller and Claremont hadn't wrote those early Wolverine comics, maybe he wouldn't be as popular as he is now. Once a character is established, like Spiderman, Wolverine and Batman, then you can let the less than awesome writers take over, cuz people will buy it regardless. When it's a character that is on the fringe of popularity, then bring in a bad ass writer and artist to take over. Which is why I think Aquaman is about to have a huge surge of popularity. Geoff Johns is about to take over that title. 
    If he gets his own title, he must have a great creative team, or it won't last.
    Either way I'll buy it, as he is my favorite character.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b749253880e5
    deactivated-5b749253880e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 2

@inferiorego: It's not about the character, it's how you write it. That was also true about Miracle Man or Swamp Thing until Alan Moore took them, or what Dennis O'Neal did with Green Arrow...
    Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By labarith

Gambit needs something to revitalize the character. 

He's been retconned into an accomplice to mass murder, he's been a horseman which still pops up, and he's technically capable of tickling Rogue now, but I don't even know if he's doing that! 

Gambit needs something to make him badass again.  A lead role in a popular/awesome X-story.  THEN he might be able to pull off a solo book for a while.  But I think it's best to just get him back on a main team.

tbone1225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By tbone1225

Gambit completely and utterly does not need his own book. He is one of the most overrated characters in all of comic book history, probably because of 90s nostalgia in the form of X-Men: The Animated Series. He's only good in comics when he's a background character.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By stumpy49er
    @tbone1225 said:

Gambit completely and utterly does not need his own book. He is one of the most overrated characters in all of comic book history, probably because of 90s nostalgia in the form of X-Men: The Animated Series. He's only good in comics when he's a background character.

Oh wow!
    Dude, any comic book character can be called 'overrated'. Wolverine, Deadpool, Rogue to me are all a little overrated, yet they all have their own books. (Rogues is called X Men Legacy). All it really takes is for the character to be popular. Gambit is probably more popular than 2 out of those other three I mentioned. 
    He is also a whole lot more interesting than most other comic book characters. How many clones of Superman, Batman, Wolverine, Deathstroke (hello Deadpool), Green Lantern, Spiderman (calling Daredevil), Wonder Woman, etc. etc. etc. do we need? 
    He is by far more unique than any of the clones of all the names I mentioned, yet plenty of these clones have their own comic book. 
    Gambit is a mutant with unique powers; basically turning anything around him into a weapon, he has a unique accent (how many cajun super heroes are there?), he's a ladies man, he's a thief turned good guy, yet he's also much like Sawyer from Lost, you never really know who's side he's on.
    Yet you'd probably rather read another comic book about a character who's based on some other character.
    Well I don't!
    tbone1225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By tbone1225
    @stumpy49er: First of all, you're right: most of the characters you've mentioned do not deserve their own book. That's just the franchise getting bloated. Second of all, the difference between Gambit and Sawyer from LOST is that Sawyer is actually a well-defined character. You don't know what he's going to do at any given moment - be the good guy or the bad guy - but he always does things in line with his well-defined character. Gambit has been in the hands of enough creators that he can be everything to everyone. But in the end, that means that he's nothing. The only way it would be any good for him to have his own book is if someone did for him what Geoff Johns did for Green Lantern - pull together everything that's ever happened to Gambit and make it make sense, make it spring from one well-defined character. Do justice to the good and the bad that has come before and innovate enough that it's worth reading. If Axel Alonso, Marvel's editor in chief, is anything like his predecessor, then the reason Gambit doesn't have his own comic is because nobody thinks it will sell. Keep in mind: the people at the top have to protect their bottom line. Gambit fans (and I don't intend to lump you into this group - it's just the Gambit friends that I'm intimately familiar with) tend to be like Gambit - they get really involved for a short period of time and then disappear. That doesn't help Marvel's profit margins.
    stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By stumpy49er
    First of all, great post! 

@tbone1225 said:
    @stumpy49er: The only way it would be any good for him to have his own book is if someone did for him what Geoff Johns did for Green Lantern - pull together everything that's ever happened to Gambit and make it make sense, make it spring from one well-defined character.
    I agree! This is exactly what I want. 
    Not saying it'll ever happen, but I think there is enough to go on that a writer similar to Geoff Johns could make a great comic with him. 
    Heck, I think I'd almost rather he NOT get his own comic unless the writer was able to do as you mentioned. 
    That said, if he did get his own comic, even if it was my least favorite writer, I'd definitely support it, just because he's my favorite character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.