Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4681 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

Gambit needs to change

Dex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

Being a Gambit fan/reader for a long time I think it is time for a change with the character. The new X-factor team he is on currently is not bad but I don't think it fits him. The character has walked the line between hero/anti hero for as long as he has been around. Juggling being apart of the Thieves guild and a hero. The problem is he cannot exists as both at the same time. I couldn't even imagine him being on the avengers next to cap leading the charge against some epic enemy. The direction I think he could work really well with in though would be being a SPY. Sneaking, stealing, gambling, street level battles & womanizing. A spy can play the part of hero is situations but is also shady and relates to thief past. I propose a new marvel book that is composed of characters like Gambit to be the Marvel Universe spies we have always wanted. What do you guys think?

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I like him the way he is. He's unique. It's part of what makes him one of my all time favorite super heroes. If you make him into a spy, he just would be another James Bond wannabe. He doesn't need to team up with Captain America. He's an individual.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b749253880e5
    deactivated-5b749253880e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 2

I don't think he needs a change, he needs to be written properly, like most Marvel characters, which have a serious lack of character-driven stories. Here's how I suggested they do it (and it actually got me hired by Marvel, but sadly, not to write Gambit): Gambit: Honor Among Thieves

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By stumpy49er

@spikevalentine: I'd love to see this as a comic.

Hopefully if the Gambit movie is any good Marvel will bring back another Gambit solo series. Or even just a limited series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stumpy49er I don't think that's happening over the movie since Marvel hates Fox, plus, after the low sales of All-new X-Factor, there won't be much incentive unless the movie is Captain America: The Winter Soldier good, and, well, Fox is not known for making good stuff. :( Remember Wolverine Origins?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 Yeah, awful, except for Days of Future Past, and even that one is riddled with plot holes. The only thing that made the X-Men movie franchise popular was the lack of competition.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 One of the reasons they are re-doing their whole continuity is that they learned to adapt superheroes from watching what Marvel Studios had done up to Winter Soldier (and is starting to ignore).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spikevalentine: They're rebooting because X-Men: The Last Stand butchered the franchise and backed it into a corner. Unlike Marvel, FOX didn't have successful superhero films to learn from and build off of. Despite that, FOX created two quality films that captured the spirit of the X-Men(minority metaphor, family of outcasts), and set the bar for what comic book films could do. The MCU wouldn't even exist without X-Men and X2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 Not really, if that were the case they would have done it instead of Origins (not to mention Fantastic Four). And the only time Fox did what you claim it did properly was with the '92 cartoons (the movies are all about shirtless tall and handsome Wolverine, exposition on the mutant problems, and fights with/against Magneto over and over). But you are right about the MCU claim, Marvel Studios started after the draconian deal made with Fox when Marvel was about to go bankrupt in the nineties and which doesn't allow their characters to return to them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spikevalentine:

the movies are all about shirtless tall and handsome Wolverine

Short and hairy Canadian actors are probably a rarity. Also, the last two X-Men films had little to no focus on Wolvie.

exposition on the mutant problems, and fights with/against Magneto over and over

You just described most X-Men comics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most, but not the best, @sprior93: Days of Future Past, Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, the Proteus saga, Dark Phoenix saga, Messiah Complex, that time when Wolvie kicked the Hellfire Club's butt, Sentinels live... none against Magneto. You can't make the same movie three times.

Bat in the Sun could with way less budget, by the way...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spikevalentine:

Days of Future Past, Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, the Proteus saga, Dark Phoenix saga, Messiah Complex, that time when Wolvie kicked the Hellfire Club's butt, Sentinels live

Yes, but most of them still touched heavily on the oppressed minority concept. If you're complaint is that there aren't enough villains.....well:

• Magneto + Brotherhood,
    • Stryker and Lady Deathstrike
    • Dark Phoenix
    • Silver Samurai and Viper
    • Hellfire Club
    • Trask and the Sentinels
    • Ahab
    • Apocalypse and his Horsemen
    • maybe Mister Sinister(we'll see in the Gambit film)

Bat in the Sun could with way less budget, by the way..

Thank god nothing like that ever made it into the films.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Nope, I'm good with Gambit as is. His last solo ongoing was something like what you describe as wanting for the character and I loved how he was depicted there (Mann drawing him didn't hurt, either).

I'm going to miss him. He's nowhere to be seen in the new titles coming out in October through Marvel. (:/)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: Yeah, too bad it turned out he wasn't in the Daredevil book, I was so excited, they are my two fave characters. Do you remembered when he was rumored to be the new Man Without Fear?

No Caption Provided

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spikevalentine: Still though, that character sure was easy to mistake for Gambit, right? I wonder who it is.

I wasn't surprised about Gambit not being the new Man Without Fear; having him patrol Hell's Kitchen when he's practically the Patron Saint of the South wouldn't have worked. (:P)

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't think Gambit needs to change. I just think how he's written needs to change.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: I beg to differ, the theme is the south is his past, and being an X-Man has made him basically a New Yorker with ties to the demimonde, that I would read/write!

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#22 god_spawn  Moderator

I'd like them to expand on him becoming the leader of the Thieves' Guild since he finally became the leader at the end of his last solo and it was barely touched on during ANXF. Just go back to his roots for awhile.

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spikevalentine: Don't get me wrong, I would love to read something like that as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.