Follow

Galactus

Character » Galactus appears in 1750 issues.

Galactus is the infamous "Devourer of Worlds" in the Marvel Universe. His powers are nearly omnipotent. He has appointed several entities as his Heralds, imbuing them with the Power Cosmic. He uses energy from the core of planets and universal sources to sustain himself.

Why do not see more impressive feats from Galactus?

Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Theworldbreaker

I've been woundering this for a while, we know the dude is powerful and has shown some impressive stuff but i mean like Realy impressive feats on like a universal+ scale. I mean in the black celestial arc tiamute said he was a Multiversal threat at full power but he never gets that powerful ever and if it was'ent for doom sucking away his energy in secret wars we could have seen the potnetial from a fully powerd Galactus but doom blew that out the window. So why do we never see anything this good come from him? why dont they let him get a good meal instead of just statements and 1 universal busting feat (black celestial arc).

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By PowerHerc

Good question!  We do need to see more cosmically epic bad-ass Galactus feats.  
    Marvel should show us some so Galactus can be re-established as there mightiest cosmic being/abstract character.  Plus we fans would sure as hell enjoy seeing it.
    Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Theworldbreaker
    @PowerHerc:
    couldent put it better my self, however i dont think he should be above LT though.
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Thor's hammmer

He should kick some celestial @$$
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nova`Prime`

A fully feed Galactus means the end of the known universe. He's said so himself in not so many words, he will give back to the universe infinitely more then he has ever taken. Also he's survived the Big Crunch and the Big Bang, once you do that everything else pales in comparison.

RoninTheFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By RoninTheFury

I don't know about the rest of you, but i have found that lately the writers have been making Galactus their whipping boy, (Chaos War, Annihilation War, Skarr and Son of Hulk ect.) and i have no idea why they are doing this. during the Thanos Imperative, i liked how the writers made it seen that Galactus was the last man(god, cosmic force, whatever) standing against the Galactus Engine, which had either destroyed or sent into retreat a sh*t load of Celestials,(including the mighty Arishem)  as well as Aegis and Tenebrous(who laid a bad beating on Galactus during Annihilation) and who knows what other Cosmic forces, only to get laid out by Zeus?! I know, i know, Zeus was augmented by Chaos King, but still, they never really showcase Galactus as the awesome force he should be anymore. at least that is how i feel. 

Amazingoctus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Amazingoctus

I think it would be interesting to see new galactus feats but I dont think we NEED them. A starving and poisoned galactus fought order, chaos and the in-betweener. he didn't win but came close 
    RoninTheFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RoninTheFury
    @Amazingoctus said:

"
    I think it would be interesting to see new galactus feats but I dont think we NEED them. A starving and poisoned galactus fought order, chaos and the in-betweener. he didn't win but came close  "

Yeah, but in recent years we have not seen very many amazing feats from him, and has been getting his ass handed to him on many occasions. if he had have destroyed the Galactus Engine during Thanos Imperative, instead of just looking like he was going to be it's last victim, now that would have been impressive.(and i could be mistaken, but as i recall, it was only the In-betweener that Galactus fought, not Lord Chaos and Master Order.)
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Green Skin

Marvel tends to have a habit of telling us certain characters are really powerful, but they never seem to show any of it.  I think it just comes down to lack of creativity of the part of the writers.  Galactus and Sentry are prime examples of it. 

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By tensor

marvel is just lazy for the past couple of years they have not step up in a while with big feats for most of the top powerhouse in marvel

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By JonesDeini
    @PowerHerc:  
    While I agree that Galactus' threat level has faded in my eyes, I've gotta say I don't think he's been marvel's most powerful cosmic/abstract entity for quite some time. I mean just for starters The One Above All and Living Tribunal trump him. He's been drained, killed, and fought off way too many times for me to rank him that high on that scale of characters. No doubts that he's a powerhouse but I mean come on, he just admitted to being scared of a bout with little Franky in FF recently. 
    RoninTheFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RoninTheFury
    @JonesDeini said:

" @PowerHerc:  While I agree that Galactus' threat level has faded in my eyes, I've gotta say I don't think he's been marvel's most powerful cosmic/abstract entity for quite some time. I mean just for starters The One Above All and Living Tribunal trump him. He's been drained, killed, and fought off way too many times for me to rank him that high on that scale of characters. No doubts that he's a powerhouse but I mean come on, he just admitted to being scared of a bout with little Franky in FF recently.  "

Totally agree. I don't think 100 Galactus' would even come close to the Living Tribunal. many people have said that a fully fed Galactus is on par with Eternity or Infinity, but i kind of find that hard to believe considering(as you stated) he has been drained, killed, smacked around and just plain beaten so many times. it's too bad, as i am a huge Galactus fan, and he seems to constantly be Marvels whipping boy.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JonesDeini
    @RoninTheFury:  
    Indeed, it's like he's the go to threat but they've been steadily reducing that threat level by overusing him. I honestly think that it was over for the Eater of Worlds the moment the "ultimate nullifier" came into existence. Ever since then writers have had that device or something similar being used to run off Galactus. I like the way Hickman deals with him though, he doesn't really do the "Oh we beat Galactus with this convenient weapon/tech or power I pulled out  of my ass!" nor the "Ha!!! We drained you!" approach. In S.H.I.E.L.D. the brotherhood sacrifices the lives of it's members to create another earth to sacrifice to Galactus and during 3 Reed had to do some quick thinking and fast talking to reason with him not to eat earth. Both these approaches seem more feasible ways to handle a cosmic being. Either you give it what it wants or you do your damnedest to convince it it wants something else lol
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By PowerHerc
    @JonesDeini said:
    " @PowerHerc:  While I agree that Galactus' threat level has faded in my eyes, I've gotta say I don't think he's been marvel's most powerful cosmic/abstract entity for quite some time. I mean just for starters The One Above All and Living Tribunal trump him. He's been drained, killed, and fought off way too many times for me to rank him that high on that scale of characters. No doubts that he's a powerhouse but I mean come on, he just admitted to being scared of a bout with little Franky in FF recently.  "

He hasn't been the most powerful for over 30 years now.   

That's what I was saying; Marvel needs to make their most powerful. abstract, cosmic being again.   
    He has the history and the name recognition, plus he's much cooler than possibly all the other top-level cosmics/abstracts.
    RoninTheFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RoninTheFury
    @JonesDeini said:
    " @RoninTheFury:  Indeed, it's like he's the go to threat but they've been steadily reducing that threat level by overusing him. I honestly think that it was over for the Eater of Worlds the moment the "ultimate nullifier" came into existence. Ever since then writers have had that device or something similar being used to run off Galactus. I like the way Hickman deals with him though, he doesn't really do the "Oh we beat Galactus with this convenient weapon/tech or power I pulled out  of my ass!" nor the "Ha!!! We drained you!" approach. In S.H.I.E.L.D. the brotherhood sacrifices the lives of it's members to create another earth to sacrifice to Galactus and during 3 Reed had to do some quick thinking and fast talking to reason with him not to eat earth. Both these approaches seem more feasible ways to handle a cosmic being. Either you give it what it wants or you do your damnedest to convince it it wants something else lol "
    LOL, yeah i hear you. and i am glad you brought up that F.F. storyline, because while i agree that Hickman did write an interesting story with Galactus, it just surprised me so much that this future earth's hero's and villains were able to capture and ultimately kill Galactus. now i admit i do not know the whole story, but from what i understand, Marvel earths meta-humans lured (future) Galactus to earth, and launched an all-out assault to capture him. most of them were killed, but finally Galactus was beaten, and he was used to power a device that transported the population of that earth back in time, which used up all of Galactus' powers thus killing him. it just seems unimaginable to me that this could be done to Galactus. even with the combined power of all earths super-powers, that should be NOTHING compared to Galactus. hell, if this was tried against a single Celestial, i don't even think it would warrant it's attention. and even if it did, the Celestial would just eradicate them all as easily as i would step on an ant. so was future Galactus starving and weak when they lured him to earth, or did they have some special weapon maybe? please tell me that was the case, because if he was just normal Galactus who got suckered into coming back to earth and was beaten with just a straight up surprise attack, then that will have completely tanked his rep as being on of the most powerful forces in the Marvel universe, which would really suck. as i said, i don't know the entire story, i am still trying to get caught up, but on paper, even a medium fed Galactus should brush off such an attack with little to no effort. so if there were certain circumstances that brought about Galactus being beaten by Marvel earth, that would be appreciated.
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @RoninTheFury: You mostly got it right. I do think that Galactus came to Earth because he was hungry, not because they lured him there. There were 147 heroes, including some big brains like Mr. Fantastic (I think) and Hulk Jr. Also, Lightwave was once his herald and he's got some power (although not compared to Galactus). The details of his defeat were never really stated, but is was made clear that only 7 remained alive when it was done. It was all for plot.  

It wasn't Hickman that wrote it though, it was Millar. Hickman finished up the story though where Galactus (from now) learned of his demise and destroyed Nu World. Mr. Fantastic is supposed to make sure this future does not come to pass in their reality.  

What I find interesting is that it almost appears that Chaos War is responsible for the whole story line. In his severely weakened state, the Silver Surfer put Galactus in the Sun to re-energize, thus taking a billion years off the life of the star. In the New Defenders story, the sun lost much of it's energy 500 years in the future, which is why they captured Galactus, came back in time, etc, etc.  

It seems like Reed needs to repair the sun to avoid this fate, which he can do with the Council's help. 

BACK ON TOPIC 

I agree that he has been knocked down a few pegs over the past couple of decades. He's mostly used as a plot device. Every event seems to bring about a character that exceeds him in power, ex. Mikaboshi. I'm a little tired of "Eternity level" beings popping up whenever it's convenient for a plot or to boost a character. Galactus should really be second to none. I'm worried for what is going to happen in the upcoming Might Thor #1 where Galactus and the Silver Surfer appear. It's probably going to be another event that makes some other hero seem more powerful than they really are and have Galactus and the Surfer look weak, much like they always do when appearing in other titles. 
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By InnerVenom123

Being Galactus is a feat in of itself.

RoninTheFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RoninTheFury
    @jloneblackheart said:
    " @RoninTheFury: You mostly got it right. I do think that Galactus came to Earth because he was hungry, not because they lured him there. There were 147 heroes, including some big brains like Mr. Fantastic (I think) and Hulk Jr. Also, Lightwave was once his herald and he's got some power (although not compared to Galactus). The details of his defeat were never really stated, but is was made clear that only 7 remained alive when it was done. It was all for plot.   It wasn't Hickman that wrote it though, it was Millar. Hickman finished up the story though where Galactus (from now) learned of his demise and destroyed Nu World. Mr. Fantastic is supposed to make sure this future does not come to pass in their reality.   What I find interesting is that it almost appears that Chaos War is responsible for the whole story line. In his severely weakened state, the Silver Surfer put Galactus in the Sun to re-energize, thus taking a billion years off the life of the star. In the New Defenders story, the sun lost much of it's energy 500 years in the future, which is why they captured Galactus, came back in time, etc, etc.   It seems like Reed needs to repair the sun to avoid this fate, which he can do with the Council's help.  BACK ON TOPIC  I agree that he has been knocked down a few pegs over the past couple of decades. He's mostly used as a plot device. Every event seems to bring about a character that exceeds him in power, ex. Mikaboshi. I'm a little tired of "Eternity level" beings popping up whenever it's convenient for a plot or to boost a character. Galactus should really be second to none. I'm worried for what is going to happen in the upcoming Might Thor #1 where Galactus and the Silver Surfer appear. It's probably going to be another event that makes some other hero seem more powerful than they really are and have Galactus and the Surfer look weak, much like they always do when appearing in other titles.  "
    Thanks for filling me in on the future Galactus storyline. sadly, i was hoping that it would have been either a severely weakened Galactus or some special weapon that brought him down. and i feel the same as you do, regarding Galactus being used as a punching bag every time some new "Eternity level power" comes strolling along. and while i am a huge Thor fan, i also have a bad feeling about this Thor vs. Galactus storyline that is coming up, and once again(as you said) Galactus will end up taking a beating or looking far weaker than he truly is, to make Thor look stronger.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JonesDeini
    @RoninTheFury:  
    I think he needed to feed, and sadly there's a precedent for a hungry galactus being beaten by a group of heroes less than those that defeated future Galactus even. There was once a time when The FF & Avengers took him down after being forced into it by Terax. They didn't off Galactus though, because they recognized his importance to the universe. 
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @RoninTheFury: A lot was left unsaid. It was all told in a flashback. I assume he was hungry AND they had some weapon or at least a great plan. 
    RoninTheFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RoninTheFury
    @JonesDeini said:

" @RoninTheFury:  I think he needed to feed, and sadly there's a precedent for a hungry galactus being beaten by a group of heroes less than those that defeated future Galactus even. There was once a time when The FF & Avengers took him down after being forced into it by Terax. They didn't off Galactus though, because they recognized his importance to the universe.  "

Oh wow, really?! i didn't even know about that. I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but i think Galactus deserves far more respect from the writers that he has been given. i can't speak for everyone, but for the sake of argument i am going say that i think Galactus is one of the most popular characters in the Marvel universe, and i would guess that there are a lot of people who are unhappy with the way he is being portrayed and/or written. 
    Zaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zaiyan
    karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By karrob
    @RoninTheFury said:
    " @JonesDeini said:

" @RoninTheFury:  I think he needed to feed, and sadly there's a precedent for a hungry galactus being beaten by a group of heroes less than those that defeated future Galactus even. There was once a time when The FF & Avengers took him down after being forced into it by Terax. They didn't off Galactus though, because they recognized his importance to the universe.  "

Oh wow, really?! i didn't even know about that. I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but i think Galactus deserves far more respect from the writers that he has been given. i can't speak for everyone, but for the sake of argument i am going say that i think Galactus is one of the most popular characters in the Marvel universe, and i would guess that there are a lot of people who are unhappy with the way he is being portrayed and/or written.  "
    I agree

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.