Follow

Gail Simone

Person » Gail Simone is credited in 747 issues.

Gail Simone is an American comics writer who is best known for her work at DC in titles such as Birds of Prey, Secret Six, Wonder Woman and The All-New Atom. She also penned Wildstorm's Gen13 reboot and Welcome To Tranquility, Dynamite's Red Sonja, Dark Horse's Tomb Raider, and Marvel's Domino.

Interview: Gail Simone Discusses SECRET SIX and Writing Characters She Loves

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

It's been quite a while since fan favorite DC team, Secret Six, have been around. Fans have been clamoring for more Catman and now, they can finally have more of him again. Gail Simone, who was the writer of the last volume of the series, is back and SECRET SIX recently hit shelves. Gail answered a few of our questions about the series.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: What's new about SECRET SIX, this time around, minus the fact it's the New 52?

GAIL SIMONE: Oh, a lot, it's a mostly new cast, new secrets, new adversary. New ways to get characters naked, new horrible wounds, new ways to cook eggs...

It's a different tone, but all the fun weird stuff, that's intact, I think. It starts a little desperate, because I love to see characters in desperate situations, but we are absolutely going to push all the envelopes we can.

One thing is that this team is a little wider on the morality scale. They might actually have a hero or two on the team...that changes everything!

CV: Who were your must have characters to be on this team?

GS: It was never going to be Secret Six without Catman. In a big way, Catman represented the entire book, he was the loser no one thought could ever BE anything. So, all discussions started with Thomas Blake.

I really wanted to include Strix. She's one of my favorite new52 characters, and with the Birds of Prey book ending, she doesn't have a home. We are going to show what she is really about.

The rest are characters I really love, but those two were a lock.

CV: What makes those characters so important to the team and team dynamic?

GS: Catman is the wild card. There are a lot of characters who became popular because they were unpredictable, you couldn't know what they would do. But with time, many developed tropes and formulas and lost that edge.

Catman, I think, he adds that bit of gunpowder to the mix, you don't know if he goes good or bad in any situation.

With Strix, I think she adds hear​t​, but also danger. She WILL kill you if she finds you to be a threat.

CV: One of the coolest character arcs in your pre-52 run was the constant struggle Bane had with staying off of Venom but also wanting to protect those around him. You have a way of really appealing to the reader, emotionally. What characters are you really looking forward to focusing in on in upcoming issues?

GS: Definitely Black Alice, she has a different backstory in the new52 and it's a heart-burster. When we first see her, she is desperately looking for SOMEONE to care about her, to love her. I think a lot of people know that feeling very well.

That again is one of the things I love about this book, it's never about who can punch the hardest or who has the coolest weapon, it's all about the emotional stakes of trying to be human and humane, even in inhuman and inhumane situations.

CV: What makes you excited to work on Secret Six again?

GS: Great characters, great editors, great support from DC, and the best artists ever. Tremendous freedom. And a very personal book unlike any other superhero book, I think.

That's a lot of reasons!

No Caption Provided

CV: There's a lot of love for your characters within your writing, especially Secret Six and Batgirl. Do you feel the whole writing process can be a bit tougher because of this?

GS: Oh, sure. I had a writing idol of mine write me a long email lecture once, and he meant it in the best way, he was trying to protect me. "Gail, you have to remember these characters don't belong to you, don't get too invested in them."

He meant well, he had had his own heart broken. But the problem for me is, if I don't care, I can't seem to put the stories on the page. If I don't find something about a character to cherish, it never feels honest, I don't know why the reader should care.

If you care, things can be a little harder, and letting go can be harder. But it's the only way I seem to be able to function in shared universe stories. I imagine that sounds a little precious but it's just the blunt truth.

CV: How is it working with Ken Lashley on this book?

GS: I have wanted to work with Ken for years. He was on the verge of a huge title at another company, he and Dale Eaglesham both (they are alternating arcs and covers, which is amazing), and they both dropped everything to do THIS book.

You've seen the pages, right? It's Ken turned up to 100.

CV: What would you say to people on the fence about picking this book up?

GS: I would say there are lots of great books out there, I know it's often hard to try new things. But this is a book with heart that goes places most superhero books don't, right in the middle of the DC Universe, right next to Batman's home turf.

There's lust, violence, jokes, and wrongness in pretty much every issue.

Who doesn't like that?

Thanks a lot to Gail Simone for answering our questions and make sure to check out SECRET SIX, currently available at your LCS or digitally! Check out the preview below!

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I don't really know anything about the Secret Six, but seeing how happy the writer is about it makes me want to read it that much more.

AriesWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Didn't find the first issue as exciting as the first issue pre-52. Hope the second issue is better.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually gonna try it thanks to this article but after a couple of months, that's when my comic book shop sells them on sale and like they have every issue left as it feels like i'm the only person reading them. They do finish out on sales though.

Psycho_Soldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found it too short

and lacking a bit of Scandal, Ragdoll, Knockout, Deadshot & Bane

but hey someone could die soon and the secret six not always were six, so

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sentryman555

I found it too short

and lacking a bit of Scandal, Ragdoll, Knockout, Deadshot & Bane

but hey someone could die soon and the secret six not always were six, so

I thought for sure when the comic was announced Simone would bring back Ragdoll after re-introducing him in Batgirl.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I loved the first issue, so glad Catman is back.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

First issue was great.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Maddpanda531

Just finished reading the first issue. Have to admit, it's captured my attention. The characters seem pretty cool and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them in the next issue.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

yeah but disappointment to me. not feeling it at all. too much like a horror movie so those who like that kind stuff will enjoy it but not i. two books i was looking most to was secret six and angela, secret six disappointed and angela exceeded expectations. going to give that issue a second read in fact it was so good. hopefully the series will get better and i might check it out in trade to see what happens but the art is awful and though there are two or three interesting characters here the setting/tone along with the art is just a turnoff for me.

hopefully this convergence thing can fix some stuff and we can get the REAL secret six back with scandal

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Eaglesham is THE artist for this team (especially Catman) so I'm glad he's in the mix

Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
    Starscream_Vs_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just awesome! Glad Gail Simone is writing the Secret Six again. I will be picking up the first issue!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.