Follow

Gail Simone

Person » Gail Simone is credited in 747 issues.

Gail Simone is an American comics writer who is best known for her work at DC in titles such as Birds of Prey, Secret Six, Wonder Woman and The All-New Atom. She also penned Wildstorm's Gen13 reboot and Welcome To Tranquility, Dynamite's Red Sonja, Dark Horse's Tomb Raider, and Marvel's Domino.

Gail Simone on Leaving Batgirl

• 51 results
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mercy_
    Source 

I AM SO FRICKING FORTUNATE IT’S RIDICULOUS

Seriously.

Okay, well, if you read the news on Bleeding Cool, I unfortunately have the sad duty to confirm that it’s true.  As of Wednesday of last week, I was informed by an email from  my new editor that I am no longer the writer of Batgirl.

I cannot express my disappointment at this. I think everyone is aware how important Barbara Gordon is to me, and how important it is to me that her stories be told with respect and care, both for the character and the readers.

We tried our very best to do that, and it was an honor to write Barbara for these many years.

I have to thank the previous editors, the intelligent and classy Bobbie Chase, and the absolutely wonderful Brian Smith. I want to thank the rest of the bat-office writers and artists who never failed to be supportive and inspiring to work with. In particular, Scott Snyder has made a Herculean effort to support me, Batgirl, and the entire Bat-line, and I am proud to call him my friend.

I am in debt forever to the magnificent artists I’ve gotten to work with telling these stories. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Ardian, Ed, Daniel, Vincente, Admira, Stanley, and all the rest of you wonderful people I am too scattered right now to name. You guys have no idea how much joy your talents and craft have brought me. It’s absolutely humbling to work with people like you.

I want to thank DC for giving me the opportunity to write Barbara. When the new52 was announced, I was terrified that telling early stories of Barbara would mean completely invalidating her story as a disabled icon. We tried our best never to forget that, even when putting her back in the suit. 

Very few writers are ever lucky enough to get to work in the bat-offices, it’s a rare honor and thrill and I absolutely loved it and will miss it terribly.

I am probably sounding a little bit maudlin right now, as I feel a genuine sense of loss. This wasn’t just another assignment to me. 

When this was announced just a little while ago on bleedingcool.com, I confirmed it, and when I came back, my twitter feed was completely flooded by incredibly kind words.

So, while I am very sad right now and I won’t deny it, I have to say, I’m sure this sounds corny, but I feel very, very fortunate.

I have been lucky enough to live a dream that was too big for me to even think about as a child. I got to write  Batgirl. When I was just a little kid, she was the first superhero I’d ever seen. A redhaired smart girl who could kick ass?  It changed my life. And I grew up and got to write her. I wouldn’t be any happier if I’d won the lottery.

I still understand that not everyone was happy with the changes to her in the new52. But if it was going to happen, I wanted it to be done with honesty and care.  And we produced a book that was a critical and commercial success. Twice in the past year we got raves from the New York Times. We had many sell-out issues. In short, I am very, very proud of what we’ve done.

But the reason I feel fortunate right now is you guys. Here’s where the corn level goes nuclear.

You guys have NO IDEA, no CONCEPTION AT ALL, how much you mean to me. The support on Twitter in the past hour was almost more than I could take, I had to stop reading because I was getting too choked up.

You guys have supported me and said kind things when I was low, and you let me know that fighting for things to get better was important and worth the effort, you made me laugh too many times to count, and you have added so much to my life I can’t even explain it.

Yes, I know this sounds corny, but it’s true and I can’t help it.

I thought I was going to be just hearbroken giving this news, and I definitely am, but the support from you guys and from the pro community is something very very special and I will cherish it.You guys made a rotten week much, much more bearable.

Thank you so, so much. And I wish the next team on Batgirl the very best of luck.

Gail

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

@Mercy_: has there been anything said about who is replacing her?

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By arnoldoaad

@danhimself said:

@Mercy_: has there been anything said about who is replacing her?

a rumor said that it was Scott Lodbell but it was quickly dismissed

considering how rushed was the firing, I bet that whoever writes Batgirl 17-18 wont be the final writer, which means we wont have a good idea of who will be the new writer until next year or until DC addresses the issue

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mercy_

@arnoldoaad said:

a rumor said that it was Scott Lodbell but it was quickly dismissed

I would lose my mind if this were true.

@danhimself: Nothing to my knowledge. I think that everybody's still reeling from the abrupt nature of this.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TimeLordScience

I feel bad for Gail, she sounds like a very classy woman. DC has really done it this time...

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mercy_
    @TimeLordScience:  Gail is a lovely woman. Say what you will about her writing (people generally love it or hate it), she's handling this with the utmost aplomb as opposed to the Liefeld method. 
    Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By Pokeysteve

Love that woman. I prefer Gordon as Oracle and Simone writing N52 Batgirl was one of the deciding factors in picking up that issue #1. I always enjoy her writing even when nothing is really happening.

The plus side........maybe we can get her back on Birds =D

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By reignmaker

Gail deserves to be put on something bigger. After her Secret Six run, I'm surprised she hasn't been given the reins to Teen Titans or something.

Makes you wonder what DC is thinking when it allows the likes of Scott Lobdell to touch everything sacred and then s*** like this happens.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mercy_

@Pokeysteve said:

Love that woman. I prefer Gordon as Oracle and Simone writing N52 Batgirl was one of the deciding factors in picking up that issue #1. I always enjoy her writing even when nothing is really happening.

This is how I felt about it. Hate what they did with Batgirl, but if they were gonna have anybody write Babs as Batgirl, I'd have wanted it to be Simone.

She's already said that it's too painful for her to go back to Birds, IIRC. Not to mention that DC's said no to every idea she put forth for them.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Delphic

I'm not the biggest fan of Gail. She has written some things I like, and some things that I didn't like. I can say with certainty that Gail has a lot of fans, and has drawn a great many readers to DC. Some may disagree with me, but I feel like this was a very, very poor editorial decision on DC's part.

theOVOXO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By theOVOXO

When i first heard the news i was shocked. Im enjoying Batgirl right now and i thinks its good. I think she should do Birds of Prey where she could still write Barbara. Although since Raven is getting her spin off comic i would like it to be written by Simone than Lodbell anyday.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By reignmaker

Can't wait to see this new editor's face when he/she watches the massive drop-off of Batgirl sales after Gail leaves.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pokeysteve

@Mercy_ said:

@Pokeysteve said:

This is how I felt about it. Hate what they did with Batgirl, but if they were gonna have anybody write Babs as Batgirl, I'd have wanted it to be Simone.

She's already said that it's too painful for her to go back to Birds, IIRC. Not to mention that DC's said no to every idea she put forth for them.

Very well said.

Babs is on the team still so you never know. Don't take away my hope damn it lol.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#14  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

i want to give her a hug now.....

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Stormbox

@Reignmaker said:

Can't wait to see this new editor's face when he/she watches the massive drop-off of Batgirl sales after Gail leaves.

Its a he. Brian cunningham

Apparently he was the one who fired gail

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Stormbox said:

@Reignmaker said:

Its a he. Brian cunningham

Apparently he was the one who fired gail

Through e-mail like a giant tool.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mercy_

@Pokeysteve said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Pokeysteve said:

Very well said.

Babs is on the team still so you never know. Don't take away my hope damn it lol.

Thanks - took me a while to come to terms with it lol

I'll remain mum then.

ThePRez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By ThePRez

at least she was greatfull and didnt went a la liefeld.

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TimeLordScience

@Mercy_ said:

@TimeLordScience: Gail is a lovely woman. Say what you will about her writing (people generally love it or hate it), she's handling this with the utmost aplomb as opposed to the Liefeld method.

Hopefully her graceful exit will create some fan reaction against the editor, DC, and the book once her name is off the cover.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Bit of a crappy way of doing things, did they not think that people might take offence to offing such a popular writer in such a manor?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mercy_

@TimeLordScience said:

@Mercy_ said:

@TimeLordScience: Gail is a lovely woman. Say what you will about her writing (people generally love it or hate it), she's handling this with the utmost aplomb as opposed to the Liefeld method.

Hopefully her graceful exit will create some fan reaction against the editor, DC, and the book once her name is off the cover.

There's already an industry outcry.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By colonyofcells

Dear Gail, Just create your own character and forget about the Batgirl of D'Idiot.

Tyrannotaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Tyrannotaur

Did we get any concrete reason as to why she was fired yet? I've heard that her contract expired, but why wouldn't they renew it? Seems like there's more going on here.

This situation really sucks. I really enjoy her work on Batgirl. While it the first thing I ever read of hers, I would definitely buy more of her older stuff. She is a great writer.

I don't know if I'll continue getting this book or not after her run ends. I guess that depends on who they pick to take over.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By colonyofcells

Based on what I have read, Gail tried to work with the editor on ironing out their differences but the editor just fired Gail instead. Gail believed the differences with the editor could be worked out.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By arnoldoaad

@Tyrannotaur said:

Did we get any concrete reason as to why she was fired yet? I've heard that her contract expired, but why wouldn't they renew it? Seems like there's more going on here.

the timeline of the situation is pretty much like this

• she got a new editor, Brian Cunninham
    • then her contract was about to be expired and DC choose not to extend it
    • She had some discussion with the Brian
    • this kind of started the dialog on whatever she is fired or not
    • then Bleedingcool run the first rumor of her leaving Bg on sunday, the same week her contract expired
    • she responded that she didnt left the book
    • then on wednesday she is inform that she is out of the book

I think there has to be something else going on besides her having a discussion with Brian C

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TimeLordScience

@Mercy_ said:

@TimeLordScience said:

@Mercy_ said:

Good to hear that. Wouldn't it be cool if Marvel picks her up to do maybe a Spiderwoman ongoing? I saw a reply from Gillen there, so there are some Marvel creators with sympathy too. I think that'd be sweet.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By rav4

So there's a theory going around in regards to these comments

that the new editor might have asked Gail to reintroduce Stephanie or Cass, only to kill them off, which led to the disagreements that led to her being fired. I hope that's not true... (although I wouldn't put it past DC at this point), but if it is then all I can do is applaud Gail for keeping her integrity.

Of course, this is just a theory. She should be releasing some sort of statement on it later today, so... maybe we'll find out what's really going on.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By colonyofcells

Gail has already shown that she is unable to work with the dictator editors of the New 52 in both Firestorm and Batgirl so I can understand why DC has decided not to extend her dc contract.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By TDK_1997

I didn't really like her Batgirl run.It wasn't anything special but had some nice moments.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By colonyofcells

I don't believe DC thinks highly of Gail since Gail has had few hits in her career at DC.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mercy_

@TimeLordScience said:

@Mercy_ said:

@TimeLordScience said:

@Mercy_ said:

Good to hear that. Wouldn't it be cool if Marvel picks her up to do maybe a Spiderwoman ongoing? I saw a reply from Gillen there, so there are some Marvel creators with sympathy too. I think that'd be sweet.

I'd love to see her on a Spiderwoman ongoing, but my preferences (in a hypothetical world where Marvel extends her a contract) would be Black Widow or Rogue. Always been a fan of Gillen, now even moreso.

@colonyofcells said:

I don't believe DC thinks highly of Gail since Gail has had few hits in her career at DC.

You mean other than the critically acclaimed Birds of Prey and the groundbreaking Secret Six? She's been continuously writing one thing or another for them for years, has accrued a huge fanbase and while her Batgirl was not a hit out of the park, her Secret Six and the first volume of Birds of Prey most certainly were.

I agree that DC doesn't think highly of her, but I don't think that's the reason.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mercy_

Greg Rucka

So.
    I know nothing about what’s going on here. NOTHING. I am outside. I know Gail well enough to call her a friend, but it’s a loosely-defined friendship, grown from working in the same wheelhouse for many years, and out of admiration for not only her writing, but also her social conscience and her fearlessness. All three are worthy of praise, but honestly, it’s that last that has always, consistently, impressed me the most. I work to be fearless - capital “A” Art demands that kind of courage - and Gail puts me to shame.
    Wherever she goes next, whoever Gail works with next, they’re going to be lucky to have her.
    kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By kagato

Just what is going on over at DC? First we had crazy Liefeld explode into a sea of molton crazy, then George Perez started saying things where a bit iffy and now this with Gail? Such a crappy move doing it by email too and getting the new writer to do it....my opion of DC is rapidly falling

yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By yo_yo_fun

I'm very sad about this. Batgirl hasn't been my favorite book to get every month but it was enjoyable. What makes it even more sad is that you can tell Gail loves the character, Barbara Gordon. This is honestly, a HUGE mistake DC is making. They NEED to fire that dumb editor! And seriously, by email?! UGHHH!!!

I really hope Gail continues to write for DC (I know, it's doubtful but I'm still hoping!)

I wish her luck with whatever she does.

:/

dingedarmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dingedarmor

I'm positive I'll not be purchasing any more Batgirl once Gail is gone.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheCrowbar
    colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By colonyofcells

Even if Gail tries to work on another dc title, she will just experience the same dumb editor problems that made her leave Firestorm.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By arnoldoaad

@colonyofcells said:

Even if Gail tries to work on another dc title, she will just experience the same dumb editor problems that made her leave Firestorm.

that would depend of the editor and the title

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By colonyofcells

My suggestion to Gail is to learn the Bane back breaking wrestling move so that Gail can handle all of the dumb dc editors.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By charlieboy

@Mercy_: thanks for making this thread. This is probably the most important issue going on now.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41  Edited By charlieboy

BATGIRL #18

Written by RAY FAWKES

Art and cover by DANIEL SAMPERE and VICENTE CIFUENTES

On sale MARCH 13 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

• The first of two issues by guest writer Ray Fawkes!

• Batgirl must face the man who sold her out to The Joker during “DEATH OF THE FAMILY”…her own brother, James Gordon, Jr.

• Can Barbara help him, or will this conflict be the final nail in her family’s coffin?

Mercy was right. There will be a guest writer.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mercy_
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mercy_
    @charlieboy happy to! I'm a huge fan of Gail and I think this occurrence specifically could open a dialogue to some big issues at Dc.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44  Edited By entropy_aegis

There goes my hope for a Bane miniseries by Simone.

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By queenfrost_

I hope Gail leaves DC as of now...She can come back one day but rn I think she should go to marvel. She's been talking lately how much she'd love to write for some of the marvel characters and well DC has treated her kinda poorly....Also it'd just prove that without Gail in DC, we may never see anything beyond a het-cis-white-male

SiycoBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SiycoBat

As much as Gail is a good writer and I'm pretty sure that she is a good natured person, she is not one of my favorite writers. I wish her luck in the future since she has made a few good runs over the years and her tendency to keep in constant touch with the readers and fans as made her very popular and well-known. However, I will not side with Gail until I get the complete and entire story. We've already seen fan reaction, Gail's side of the story, and her co-worker's reactions. Now, I'm waiting on the editor's side of the story and possibly DC's full input on the situation.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#47  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

If Gail isn't on it..i'm not reading it.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mercy_
    @Vance Astro
    Ive already dropped it from my pull.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#49  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Mercy_ said:
    @Vance Astro
    Ive already dropped it from my pull.

HIGH FIVE

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By fps_dean

I just found out about this tonight and I am short for words. Batgirl was selling pretty good, and it wasn't her best work but it wasn't bad at all, so this makes no sense to me.

Are they moving her to Supergirl (or even Superman for that matter) or something else? Did she piss someone off?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.