Follow

Frank Miller

Person » Frank Miller is credited in 1036 issues.

Frank Miller is one of the comic industry's most well known writer/artists. He is famous for his gritty, noir style and his revisions on classic heroes like Daredevil and Batman, as well in his creator-owned series Sin City.

Frank Miller May Write More SIN CITY

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Regardless of what you think of Frank Miller and his most recent work in comics, you can probably appreciate his work on SIN CITY. Those of you who enjoyed the graphic novel probably also caught the film which Miller teamed up with director Robert Rodriguez to make. Overall, the modernized-crime noir film was a success at the box office when it was first released; appealing to both comic fans and avid moviegoers alike; so when the green light for a second 'Sin City' film announced last week, many were on the edge of their seats anticipating details.

No Caption Provided

During the blue-ray release of one of Rodriguez's very first films, 'Roadracers,' the director of Sin City 2 revealed that he has already begun thinking about the film's production. According to him, many old faces will be returning for the film's sequel including Mickey Rourke and Rosario Dawson who plan on reprising their roles. The director went on to reveal even more information about the film, citing that he will be maintaining the structure we saw in the previous film and incorporate them into the sequel.

We still have to cast. I'm shooting "Machete" next month, and we go right into "Sin City." It might overlap, but we haven't done any casting yet, except for the people who we know are already in it and returning. "A Dame to Kill For," all those people come back. I just had lunch with Mickey [Rourke] this weekend. He's all excited to come back, but he's probably the first one. I saw Rosario [Dawson] too. I ran into her for something else, and she's pumped. They've always been excited about doing another one, so that will be fun.

The next film will likely adapt Miller's SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR, but Rodriguez says he still plans on maintaining the structure of the previous film -- meaning this one will incorporate A DAME TO KILL FOR but then also be split into three parts. This means that there is a good chance Rodriguez will have Frank Miller come up with two all-new SIN CITY stories.

== TEASER ==
    We really did like the structure of the first film. I was kind of greedy, I loved so many of those stories that I kind of jammed three of them together and put a wrap-around -- but it kind of worked because it's Sin City and anything can happen. So I thought let's follow that structure because if we only did one story then the audience might feel cheated that they didn't get a bigger glimpse of it, especially having waited so long. So let's go back to the three-story structure. We'll take A DAME TO KILL FOR which already pre-exists, and then have Frank come up with two more new stories and a wrap-around so that it feels similar in structure to the first one but still feels more expanded than that.

Some stories are so good that they should just be left alone; even if the creator that developed them decides to make more. Is SIN CITY one of these books? The thing about this particular series is that when Frank originally published SIN CITY, it was completely out of chronological order; so the idea of Frank inserting new SIN CITY stories into the picture isn't all that crazy. The question is, though, where should Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez take SIN CITY?

Source: MTV

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Chaos Burn

Gotta admit, loved the Sin City film, excited for a sequel, so many amazing actors in the first

elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By elayem98

Hopefully Franks new Sin city will be the first comics hes written in awhile that isnt bad, since its back to his magnum opus series

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DarthShap

At this point, Miller has become so crazy and so lazy that we should consider ourselves lucky if he does not just make Holy Terror and The Spirit, Sin City Canon for the movie and call it a day. ^^

Why isn't Rodriguez using Family Values and/or the Blue Eyes storylines?

Herx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Herx

seriously, when did he ever stop writing sin city :P

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
    davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By davidgrantlloyd

The Sin City graphic novels are some of best examples of sequential art. And they're certainly the greatest works of Frank Miller (sorry, 'Dark Knight Returns' but Sin City is better). While the film is an excellent adaptation (probably the closest transition from comic to film) it's still not as good as the source material.

Sequential art. Motion picture. They're 2 completely different art forms. Similar but total opposites as well. The exact spirit of the page can't be completely captured on the screen.

On the other hand, if it gets more people into comics, then it's definitely a good thing. And 'A Dame To Kill For' is a heck of good story. I'll probably read it again just before I go see the film.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By feebadger

@davidgrantlloyd said:

The Sin City graphic novels are some of best examples of sequential art. And they're certainly the greatest works of Frank Miller (sorry, 'Dark Knight Returns' but Sin City is better). While the film is an excellent adaptation (probably the closest transition from comic to film) it's still not as good as the source material.

Sequential art. Motion picture. They're 2 completely different art forms. Similar but total opposites as well. The exact spirit of the page can't be completely captured on the screen.

On the other hand, if it gets more people into comics, then it's definitely a good thing. And 'A Dame To Kill For' is a heck of good story. I'll probably read it again just before I go see the film.

Testify! What HE said.

thechessclub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By thechessclub

If Millers writing has eroded like his art...him writing two new stories is probably a bad thing=(

revbucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By revbucky

I'm still a Frank Miller fan. Hope this turns out to a step in the right direction for him.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Still on Frank Miller's side so I say this will be an interesting piece when it gets into theatres, though I will admit I do have to still watch the first movie.

Anniki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Anniki

Seeing Sin City was one of the catalysts started me reading comics. I saw the movie and wanted more. "That Yellow Bastard" remains one of my favourite stories - not *the* favourite, but one of them. I can't wait to see the sequel. In my perfect world, they'd incorporate "Silent Night" into the movie. That is my favourite Sin City tale.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#11  Edited By cbishop

The movie was almost shot-for-shot the first three TPB's, so was artistically beautiful, but it left me feeling that Sin City is better on the page than on the screen. I don't know if it was a pacing thing, or what, for me. There was nothing wrong with the movie - I just like reading them better. I will likely see the sequel, because I tend to be a comic movie ho like that, but probably on DVD, rather than in the theater.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Billy Batson

Miller should just stop writing.
    BB

ohrenclez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By ohrenclez

@DarthShap said:

At this point, Miller has become so crazy and so lazy that we should consider ourselves lucky if he does not just make Holy Terror and The Spirit, Sin City Canon for the movie and call it a day. ^^

Why isn't Rodriguez using Family Values and/or the Blue Eyes storylines?

thougth exactly the same thing...it's like he doesn't even recognize their existence

We'll take A DAME TO KILL FOR which already pre-exists, and then have Frank come up with two more new stories...

he doesn't even mention that there ARE more stories taking place in sin city

The first one was so great...hope they don't mess up the sequel by letting Miller write again

jaredbright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jaredbright

I'll just say it: "I liked All Star Batman and Robin."

Yes, I said it!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#15  Edited By The Impersonator

The question is, though, where should Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez take SIN CITY?

Sin City or....Las Vegas. =P

Avatar image for crackedversion00
    CrackedVersion00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By CrackedVersion00

Make it so, Mr. MIller, I just hope it's good....

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- What? No Spirit 2? I LOVED that movie

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    thephantomstranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarMachineMarkV said:

- What? No Spirit 2? I LOVED that movie

If this isn't sarcasm I'll go fetch the internet high five meme along with any other memes of your choosing.

OT: Imagine if this ends up being some sort of Return for Miller? I know it's unlikely but just let it all go and imagine the return of Frank Miller...

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thephantomstranger:

- It is very much sarcasm, I actually paid to see this movie before reading the reviews

- I walked out about half way in, still have no idea how it ends

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Mercy_

Can't bring myself to even pretend to care.

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd

NEWSFLASH: Frank Miller may write more Sin City......

RECENT NEWFLASH: Frank Miller may ALSO STOP TAKING CRACK CoCAINE!!!

what? ..anythins possible.. o.O

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The Devil Tiger

Hmmm... the first Sin City comics were good, the last one had good moment but lost some spirit on the road, for the movie, I was kinda disappointed, so... I'm not too much enthousiastic about it.

Shimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shimmy

I seem to recall not so long ago that Miller was thinking about writing origin stories for Hartigan and Iron Jack.

Since A Dame to Kill For is already a prequel story, slotting those two in would seem to make sense, no?

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By KidSupreme

@Mercy_: LoL

Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By EisforExtinction

This is great because Frank Miller is now a talentless hack.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.