X-Men Run vs Run 2.0- New X-Men (Morrison) vs Uncanny X-Men (Bendis)

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Koays

Lol ok So some of you might remember my original attempt at doing this tournament a while back and are thinking "Hey you stopped at match 7 on the last one! WTF?" well the reason I stopped was because CV was acting up and i couldn't see the winner of the last poll. Flash forward a year and while i can finally open up that old thread, guess what? I get a "500 Error" whenever i try to create a new poll!!!
Anyway,
We're gonna try to restart the tournament pitting all the X-Men runs against eachother (except the OG Claremont) and we're gonna start with the only battle from the last tournament i really wanted to repeat.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now-

No Caption Provided

New X-Men was an X-Men titles launched under Grant Morrison to breathe new life in an X-Men franchise that had gone stale throughout the 90s. With only a handful of X-Men left, Prof. X Cyclops, Jean Grey, Wolverine and Hank McCoy are joined by the mischievous and elegant Emma Frost as they embark on a new mission and role for the X-Men.....becoming teachers. His run would see the end to old crutches like Genosha, the return of the Phoenix Force and Emma Frost as well as the examination of older less explored staples of the franchise like the science of mutation, the growing mutant community and the roll of the Xavier Institute as a School for mutants. This run was met with resistance do to changes to the status quo, accusations of mischaracterization and one to many plot twist/new developments.

VS

No Caption Provided

Brian Michael Bendis' Uncanny X-Men vol 3, is a title launched to breathe new life in an X-Men franchise that had grown stale throughout the late 2000's and early 10's(sound familiar?) , mostly by capitalizing on developments of the Cyclops character from the previous too X-Men events, Schism and Avengers vs X-Men. His run features a newly on the run Cyclops and his team (Emma Frost, Magik and Magneto) of renegade mutants as they attempt to take a more radical approach to the X-Men's mission of protecting mutants by any means necessary. Cyclops must recruit a team of young mutants as he attempts to force a change on the relationship between humans and mutants as he prepares these new mutants for his revolution, all the while being apposed by the Avengers, Shield, other X-Men teams, secret conspiracies and even a time displace version of himself. This run was met with resistance do to slow pacing with unnecessary crossovers and very little delivery on its over arching mysteries and early promises of a revolution.

So.....Which do YOU think is better?

Feel Free right your pros and cons for both titles.....

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im not going to vote when i already know, grant morrison's run is going to be better

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@koays: So you decided to start with the two worst runs in franchise history? (i kid, well alittle lol) I really disliked both runs honestly. I hated Mary Sue Jean and well she was in both of these runs but more so in Morrison. The whole Xorn story was terrible, Fantomex came from morrison, and poor pitiful Cyclops. Bendis on the other hand brought us dark beast as a villain for no real reason, the last will and testament that didnt matter, oh and the battle of the atom future mutants no one cared about, soo pros then?

I liked Bendis Cyclops ok, and some of his students didnt make me vomit in my mouth, thats about it atm

Morrison put Cyclops and emma together which i like, and his Emma was awesome, oh and the Cuckoos were cool but they were in bendis run as well so uh...

I should just flip a coin but alot of this site loves morrison, so he will win and well Ill vote Morrison to speed it up and get to some good runs :-p

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

Morrison's New X-Men was amazing, and I really enjoyed reading it. Mainly because I'm a Jean Grey fan, and I liked everything up until the lame storyline set in the future.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: Lol i almost jumped in to save morrison on that one but i feel like he doesn't need the help,

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Morrison's run is absolutely glorious. Bendis........eeeeehhhhh

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison didn't make Karma -- who owns a multi-million dollar company -- into a refugee from Utopia without any explanation.

Bendis is an incubus who sucked out my soul with every issue of his abominable run. We are all lesser human beings for having read it.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

Morrison didn't make Karma -- who owns a multi-million dollar company -- into a refugee from Utopia without any explanation.

Bendis is an incubus who sucked out my soul with every issue of his abominable run. We are all lesser human beings for having read it.

lol your so good with words, i envy you lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: It's alarming that just the thought of Bendis makes me genuinely angry. I should probably see someone about that....

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By McKlayn

@sprior93 said:

@mcklayn: It's alarming that just the thought of Bendis makes me genuinely angry. I should probably see someone about that....

yea i think alot of us feel pretty sour about him, maybe we should start a support group? set around and talk about our feelings and how our uncle Kluster touched us in the wrong places, oh and about Bendis and how we walked on him touching Teen Jean in the wrong places <.<

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm not a big fan of Morrison, but I can't stand Bendis.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

I'm not a big fan of Morrison, but I can't stand Bendis.

exactly why morrison will win, 4-0 atm in his favor i believe

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see what you did there our dear mutant god king, I totally see -_-

JCG79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should have had Austen vs Bendis instead, would have been more fair.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Lol hey, worst case scenario either Morrison or Bendis get redeemed in some people's eyes through the comparison....I mean it doesn't seem to be working....but still...

'

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well then....dam. I mean I was trying to find some way to defend the guy but I feel like a lot of it is a bit too new and raw for everyone.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bendis hands down.

nah really Morrison.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

Redeemed? Haha never. Though I'm on my phone so I totally won't be getting into details right now. But be sure when I'm home and my homies don't feel like they're about to bother me with our imperfect world routine I'll maybe be generous enough to leave at least some ashes in my wake after I'm done with this threat.. I mean thread.

And then also turn the pseudo pathos off B)

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison had good ideas and executed them...I just didn't like his characterizations, and there were a few plot points that I just didn't like (Xorn)

Bendis had great ideas and good characterization for a few characters (not all)....but absolutely could NOT execute his ideas. Mutant Revolution was a good idea, war with SHIELD was a good idea, teachers on the run with broken powers teaching brand new mutant was a good idea.

The Mutant revolution stopped being relevant after the end of dark-beast, war with SHEILD went no where, powers were only ever broken or not working when the plot required them (and to top it all off Emma fixed herself off-panel). The last scene where Scott had his march on Washington was good, but it would have been so much better if there was more focus on that premise instead of things like Battle of the Atom dragging on or the Last Will taking way longer than it should have. His pacing was terrible and he kept teasing possibly good stories just to ignore them.

I'm not a Morrison fan, but his run was more successful

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I predicted, Morrison Squashed Bendis Maybe my mutant power is clairvoyance

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: what about morrison vs wheldon thats the thread i want to know about

beaubier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I hated the Xorn storyline, Morrison doesn't make me fly into an irrational rage at the mere mention of his name like Bendis does.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Koays
kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't like both of these runs. But if I had to choose, I would go with Morrison.

Takeshi55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison because Beak.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By adamTRMM

@phoenixofthetides said:

Morrison's New X-Men was amazing, and I really enjoyed reading it. Mainly because I'm a Jean Grey fan, and I liked everything up until the lame storyline set in the future.

Interesting and I thought everything right until Here Comes Tomorrow (which was actually good) was lame. With Planet X being a very special kind of sh!t.

@sprior93 said:

Right it's not like Morrison never tried to sacrifice one of the best comic book characters turning him into most blatant and one-dimensional creep shoving his own just as much one-dimensional brainfart down out throats. But hey, priorities right?

Chapmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Bendis hands down. He actually did something different with the X-men and made me a proper fan again (as in I would pre-order the trades in advance of release) after almost 7+ years. The omega mutant storyline, which everyone hates, is maybe my favourite X-men storyline of all time. It has the essence of so many years of continuity imbued within it, and it's a story that was allowed to breathe. I couldn't care less about axis or original sin or any of the other absolute crap that was happening at the time because I could read arcs like that all day. Plus Uncanny X-men 32 may be the single greatest issue I have ever read.

I didn't like Morrison's run too much at all, his characters were almost completely unlikable and even the costumes were awful. The 'Magneto' stuff as well was just awful, awful, awful characterization.

zdub327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison no contest. I do think Bendis did a decent job with characterization (although he terrible at writing Emma Frost) overall, but Morrison's character writing is just as strong, if not much stronger. And most importantly, Morrison did a fantastic job of writing action and creating interesting villains! Altogether it's superior in basically every way.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By McKlayn

@koays said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: Morrison would get stomped...this is not a friendly environment for him. Lol

the only person Morrison could beat besides bendis is Aaron lol

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Koays

@mcklayn: The sad thing is that idk if its even deserved. (This from the guy who wrote a short essay about why he shouldn't be considered required reading)

But really he does have his good points. I love his take on Jean and her growth both in the team and with her powers up until the death. I love the introduction of the global mutant community, I love the student body, and how X-Corp is basically Xavier taking his entire 90s roster of students and having them practice everything he's been teaching and talking about since day 1. I even like the U-Men and Sublime to certain extents.

Really the problem exist in the characterization, because Cyclops just isn't Cyclops. Logan isnt Logan, and while Emma and Beast were tweaked for the better theres this feeling of disconnect from the previous characterization without any explanation to the point that it becomes disruptive. Add to that the idea that it seemed like he was trying to write the last X-Men story ever by the end and it becomes hard to enjoy it without some feelings of anger.

Yet even with all of that...I can reread it. Knowing how everything turned out and the only part that I think is bad or poor nowadays is the Cyclops character and the HCT arc. Like its not bad...just deeply flawed.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#33  Edited By time1

@koays I liked these threads. I think its’ pretty cool comparing the X-Men titles. I do think you should give it more time, before deciding a winner. I mean not everyone has pick the series yet. Should a least give it a week or so.

I also think this is unfair competition. A lot of people loved Grant Morrison run. Some people consider it to be one of the best X-Men titles of all time. While a lot fans hate Bendis' X-Men titles

I understand why you put these titles together. Both writers change things and shake things up.

So here what I think :

Grant Morrison New X-Men

Morrison did changes thinks and his run had more of a impact than Bendis. He turn the X-Men into teachers, had Emma join the X-Men and destroy Cyclops and Jean Grey Marriage.

No Caption Provided

He wrote Emma Frost very well. Joss Whedon, Bollers and even Bendis done a good job with Emma. Morrison wrote Emma Frost the best. You can tell, he really care about her character. Unfortunately he didn’t care about the other X-Men. He show no justice to them or there fans. Charles had one interesting story, the one with his twisted sister. Beast and Wolverine had no great moments. Beast look dreadful. Morrison turn Cyclops into the biggest jerk ever. After Jean catch Cyclops with Emma. Did Scott feel bad about it? No. He took off on his bike and sulk in the Hellfire Club, like a little bitch.

Then there is Jean Grey. Some X-Men fans think Morrison wrote the best version of her. I don’t know how anyone can think that way. I mean she had a good rivalry with Emma and I loved there confrontation. Jean acted as Headmistress and stockperson for the X-Men, which was great. Then Morrison destroy her marriage with Scott and killed her off. It’s wasted opportunity. Scott and Jean should of become Headmaster and Headmistress of the X-Men, not Scott and Emma.

After 40 years, Jean finally becomes Headmistress of the X-Men, she only headmistress for four years. Emma only with the official X-Men team for 4 years and then she become headmistress after Jean Grey Death. Seriously how does Emma have more responsibility in the X-Men than the other X-Men characters.

To make things worse, after Jean confrontation with Emma, Did any of Jean friends show any concern for her ? No . Logan hug Emma, Beast wanted to give her flowers. Logan even check on Cyclops. What about Jean ? She only gets question by Bishop. Both Scott and Emma are in the wrong. All we see is how they feel about the situation. What about Jean, how about how she feels. We don’t get see to that, all we see is her in space and then killed off. So much injustice shown to her character. We haven’t seen, the real her since.

@phoenixegg is right, Morrison’s run reads like an alternate universe. Scott and Emma affair alone made no sense.

Then there Xorn, the dreadful artwork and some of the students he created were dreadful. Beak, and Glob, words can’t describe how bad these characters are. Ongoing trend, which Morrison created. A lot other writers after him thinks it ok, to created dreadful characters.

Bendis' Uncanny X-Men

So after Fraction dreadful run and Gillian boring run. Bendis came along and change things and spice things up bit.

He also focus on a lot of the X-Men characters, giving some of them really cool moments. Cyclops, Emma, Tempus, Dazzler, Kitty, Magik, Magneto, Jean and Mystique had some great moments.

No Caption Provided

He made me like Cyclops again. I couldn’t stand him under Fractions or Gillien. Bendis gave him some cool moments. Him telling the Avengers to go to hell. His conversations with Emma Frost. I like the fact they became friends, after breaking up. His conversation with Teen Jean, Teen Scott . I Love moment, he handed the school over to Storm and told his friends that he loves them.

I really like the fact that Magneto and Emma had there own agenda, they weren’t just bending over and doing what Cyclops tells them. They spoke up to him. Which is what they should be doing. I like Mystique in the series, it was great seeing her as a villain again.

Sure the series had it’s flaws, it didn’t seem like the revolution lead anywhere. The series had us asking more questions. We had to wait 5 months to get Bendis final issue. I liked the moment where all the mutants were together, when Cyclops is making his speech. What happen afterwards ? The title was very slow-pace, it didn’t seem like much was happening..

Having said that, I do like the series.

My Verdict.

I’m going with Bendis. I just like his series more. I think Grant Morrison series was better, but I like Bendis title more.

This is why ?

After reading Bendis run, I was tad a bit disappointed with the way it ended. I don’t know what happen to Cyclops or all the mutants. Which is very annoying.

After reading Morrison run, I was left feeling disappointed, annoyed and disgusted all at the same time.

This is why

No Caption Provided

This is a image from the Here comes Tomorrow story arc. Jean, Logan, Sublime were all great in the story. I loved Rover, it was great seeing a good Sentinel. I also like the artwork in this story

However, the story was silly. Morrison was very naïve for writing this story. So there will be no future for the X-Men or Mutants, without Cyclops. Seriously, even though history has proven that the X-Men have existed without him . So Jean changes the past and get Cyclops to move on with Emma. So we see them kissing near Jean grave.

Disgusting much. It’s the most disrespectful thing I ever seen in a comic.

After reading Morrison series, I stop reading X-Men. I was so annoyed. I didn’t get back into comics until Messiah Complex. Over the years I've gone back and red what I missed.

That’s the difference. After Bendis, I’m looking forward to X-Men comics. After Morrison left. I drop comics and wasn’t interested in them. So I pick Bendis. Morrison had no respect for Jean, or her Marriage with Scott or Jean fans. Can't stand Morrison.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: See you got a much more positive spin on it then me. I despised his Cyclops, and wasn't a big fan of his Professor X. Also Jean just seemed uber Mary sue to me, i hated her character and was glad she was dead by the end lol. His Magneto wasn't magento (one of the senseless recons i really liked) The U Men weren't terrible it was an interesting take, the mutant community was pretty interesting, I HATED his group of students. Beak, Glob, The entire cast with very few exceptions totally made me itch (much like aarons) its like he wanted to make sure to show the bad side mutations but really they were boring. I think Lobdell did the same thing only alot better with Gen X (chambers face blew off, skins powers are ehh, Penance, the ripping of skin from husk lol) Sublime and Nova were meh, and there just wasn't very much X corp in the book. The only good thing that i can really say i enjoyed whole heartily was Emma, but it just felt like a natural extension of what Lobdell had already did and nothing special that he added himself.

To top it all off whoever (i cant recall the names it hink it was two of them) did the art for the run was horrible, and didn't help Morrison at all with his concepts. Was it better then Bendis and Aaron yea more then likely, but it was still a time when I much perfered Claremonts Xtreme X men and it was prolly Claremonts worst run

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time: Well not that I'll argue about Emma and Jean, since we've been down that road and I kind of do agree about Morrison's take on Cyke and Jean.....but I feel like Bendis was a lot more disrespectful towards fans and continuity then Morrison. I mean the kiss at the grave was in bad taste....but Morrison didn't go out an do an Interview after he killed Jean talking about how nobody would care about it. Also keep in mind he's also the one responsible for killing Xavier and he's been bragging about it since then. It just depends on which you find more offensive.

As far as more time...I've got about 16 matches so if I gave them each a week i wouldn't finish the tournament till like July... I'll extend if it looks close or if they're aren't a lot of votes but otherwise voting doesn't really close until the entire first round is over.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: lol really I would read Morrison before X-treme. x-treme feels like a Storm love song disguised as a team book. And its hard to sit through because she's less of a character and more of a deity in that run where all characters drama and solutions must involve her to some extent. Similarly, Gen X's strange mutations felt kind of forced, where as Morrison's weirdos felt more like the kids that would've grown up and been morloks were found early and brought to the School. It kinda differs from Aarons school only because the memory of the morlocks is so far in the past, but that's still what I think when I think Morrison's students as oppose to Aarons who make me think of skittles.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@mcklayn: lol really I would read Morrison before X-treme. x-treme feels like a Storm love song disguised as a team book. And its hard to sit through because she's less of a character and more of a deity in that run where all characters drama and solutions must involve her to some extent. Similarly, Gen X's strange mutations felt kind of forced, where as Morrison's weirdos felt more like the kids that would've grown up and been morloks were found early and brought to the School. It kinda differs from Aarons school only because the memory of the morlocks is so far in the past, but that's still what I think when I think Morrison's students as oppose to Aarons who make me think of skittles.

LOL idk there was a long section of Storm the goddess lol but some of the stuff with cannonball, bishop and sage, the start of XSE, even Rogue / Remy seemed at their best in the series the art was also alot better imo, and no Gen x didnt seem forced IMO it seemed like that the 90's were a different generation then all the others. They were more edgey, and Emo and more realistic stuff was able to be published and read. I think it was trying to appeal to the generation a poor kid whose power blew out his chest seems the best. I always thought he was Lobdell's reinvention of Cyclops. He was scared of his power, but kind of thrust into the leadership role despite it and made it to the X men team (the only one who got an invite when the comic was canceled). I could see some of Morrison as Morlocsk but really a floating brain? Idk and I dont like Aarons, and i like skittles so please dont insult skittles in such a way lol

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7
deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Mumbles* I liked Uncanny better..... *Walks away embarrassed*

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izzy0292 said:

*Mumbles* I liked Uncanny better..... *Walks away embarrassed*

tis an opinion thread mate, there is no wrong ones. Just unpopular ones lol and morrison sucked pretty hardcore so yea i can see how you can say that lol

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Morrison, no contest.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

Morrison's run was more interesting, but I preferred Bendis's run overall.