Who had the saddest death?

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Many X-characters have died over the years...Some shocking, some close to home, some you never even knew happened. Which ones really tugged on your heartstrings the most or had the most emotional impact on you as a reader?

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Toad

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Phoenix.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Archangel

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

Jean Grey (New X-Men)

No Caption Provided

I also was sad for Hope, when she lost Cable.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

I was very sad, when Cable told his father to blow him up in X-Cuitoner's Song . I felt so bad for the Summers & Grey family.

No Caption Provided

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@time: I think Cable should have died for real or stayed dead here.

In answer to the original question. I think the saddest death is that of the Xmen at the hands of Marvel. Lol yeah I know overdramatic right. But seriously they been killing the franchise slowly but surely

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xavier .....why god why?!?!?!?!!?

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Warren's death was really sad. Him losing out to his death persona and then having Psylocke give him a perfect do-over where they lived happily ever after in his head got to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Illyana's death was genuinely sad.

I know it's not a literal death, but one could argue that Piotr died along with his sister. His reaction(lack of) when informed of her death is haunting.

beaubier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Legion making it so he was never born count? That gutted me.

Magneto's 'death' during the razing of Genosha got me, too. The comic where Quicksilver and the others find a crazed Polaris after the razing and they hear his last words, one of the saddest things I've read in a comic. Honorable mention to Wallflower's death in NXM.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7
deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean Grey's first death.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's too obvious, I know, but Jean's death in the final issue of the Dark Phoenix Saga really hits me. I don't even know what it is that makes it work so well, but somehow that issue stands out so strongly against the rest of Claremont's run.

Also want to mention that Logan's "death" was so close to being great, the montage of all his accomplishments was really nice, it was just ruined a little by the lacklustre "suffocating in adamantium" ending (because we all know he's totally still alive in there)

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

this one is easy for me, and maybe its because i didnt know it was going to happen when i read it but

No Caption Provided

He is easy one of my top 5 favorite characters ever, and unlike jeans death and such I where i knew what was going to happen in the story before i read it for myself I had no idea that Nightcrawler was going to bite the dust. He did it saving the mutant messiah despite being extremely angry with what cyclops had been doing with X Force, then he still managed to teleport her to utopia. Its very fitting his character and it really made me sad. So boo ya Nightcrawler!!

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the saddest death scenes in all the x-films.
One of the saddest death scenes in all the x-films.
It hurt when almost every one of the x-men died in the ultimate universe.
It hurt when almost every one of the x-men died in the ultimate universe.
Remember when all the students died after MDay. That was sad.
Remember when all the students died after MDay. That was sad.

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By UHypocrite

Polaris in Mutant-X and Scarlet Witch in AoA. Both were really sad when Magneto lose both of his daughters.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk, I got pretty choked up back in the day when Doug first died :/

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going with Jean's death in New X-Men, as well. It sounds corny, but that was the death of the heart and soul of the X-Men realized for a second time - the team has felt more shallow, and less cohesive since she died.

@time said:

Jean Grey (New X-Men)

No Caption Provided

Galerion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also want to mention that Logan's "death" was so close to being great, the montage of all his accomplishments was really nice, it was just ruined a little by the lacklustre "suffocating in adamantium" ending (because we all know he's totally still alive in there)

He had no healing factor so he is as dead as you can be. Besides it would make no difference at all. Drowning or suffocating is one of the ways you can kill someone with a healing factor. That is how Daken planned on killing Logan and that is how Daken himself died despite his healing factor.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By poisonfleur

@galerion said:
@minisaladfresh said:

He had no healing factor so he is as dead as you can be. Besides it would make no difference at all. Drowning or suffocating is one of the ways you can kill someone with a healing factor. That is how Daken planned on killing Logan and that is how Daken himself died despite his healing factor.

Unfortunately 'drowning to death' is debatable-- Remember Logan drowned in days of future past and ended up fine.

Galerion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@galerion said:
@minisaladfresh said:

Unfortunately 'drowning to death' is debatable-- Remember Logan drowned in days of future past and ended up fine.

That's from a movie made by FOX though. Not really comparable for obvious reasons and again Logan had no healing factor to begin with.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xorn

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@galerion said:
@minisaladfresh said:

Now, I know these are different characters so they have different abilities but Icarus survived drowning and being underwater due to his healing factor.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@galerion said:
@minisaladfresh said:

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, too. You'd need an adaptive ability like Darwin's to survive drowning. When you are drowning or suffocating, there is no real injury to regenerate from via a healing factor - your body is deprived of oxygen; that's the problem. You can regenerate the microinjuries to your lungs, but there is still no oxygen. All regeneration would do is make sure you have a good looking corpse.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@galerion: It just seems so much like that death was done specifically to allow for an "easy way out" - a way to bring back Logan when they want to. I'd be surprised if they don't end up saying that Wolverine's loss of healing factor was only temporary, or that the serum Kitty injected him with somehow kickstarted it again with a slight delay.

Just the way they "killed" him by having him encased in adamantium seems bizarre unless it's an intentional set up for his return, kind of "leaving the key in the door" for whatever writer ends up bringing Logan back.

Galerion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@galerion: It just seems so much like that death was done specifically to allow for an "easy way out" - a way to bring back Logan when they want to. I'd be surprised if they don't end up saying that Wolverine's loss of healing factor was only temporary, or that the serum Kitty injected him with somehow kickstarted it again with a slight delay.

Just the way they "killed" him by having him encased in adamantium seems bizarre unless it's an intentional set up for his return, kind of "leaving the key in the door" for whatever writer ends up bringing Logan back.

Or that death was done because Charles Soule had a follow up book in the making called Wolverines where recovering him was one of the plot points.

It also made his life come full circle. The indestructible metal that made him into what he was was also what killed him in the end. Ironic.

Marvel doesn't need an "easy way out" if they want to bring something or someone back.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@galerion: Maybe "easy way out" was a bad way of putting it, I just meant they left their options open rather than having him 100% confirmed dead which makes it harder to bring him back when they want to.

I didn't read Wolverines, so I may be completely wrong here, but could that series not have worked without the adamantium thing? Couldn't they just have been recovering Logan's body?

Honestly I have no idea if I'm right or not, everything you're saying makes sense and if I turn out to be wrong I'll be the first to admit it (I kinda hope I am wrong honestly) but I was just explaining why I wasn't as sad about Wolverine's death as I could have been - I would have been sadder about it if I hadn't instantly thought of a way he might still be alive. Just felt like there were other ways of killing him that would have had more resonance, at least with me.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

imo, any death where people are resurrected... just feels worthless.
I would've said nightcrawler but he came back for no reason.

Pikachunicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Northstar's death back in like 2004 really gets to me purely because of everyone's reactions (especially Bobby's and the kids'). Elixir healing his wounds and not understanding why he wasn't getting up broke my heart. That was the saddest death for me.

Followed closely by the bus bombing a few New X-Men issues later.

galeme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nightcrawler and Cable in Second Coming.

Every death in Days of Future Past.

Autopsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I remember feeling really bad when Madrox died back in the old X-Factor team

OmegaHans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By OmegaHans

First that pops in my mind is all the depowered New Mutants, Hellions and other students that were killed on that bus when Stryker attacked. They were kids. Many of them I had been reading for a couple years up to that point so I adjusted to them, tends to happen to many characters I like once in a while. Whenever any mutants are killed with such hate it saddens me. Just reminds me that for the last few decades of stories that Xavier's dream has really reached such a bottom that sometimes I get mad at Marvel for writing them going through so much of that chaos.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(Looks around) Oh cool, no one else has been that guy yet.

(Clears throat)

"The death of good writing was the saddest death"

OmegaHans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By OmegaHans

@koays: Truer words never spoken, bro. Sometimes I wonder where they find these guys.

Now that I think about it some more, when Charles Xavier himself died it hit me; the mutants had reached such a low state of affairs that after looking back on it all the struggles that the death of Xavier could possibly be the saddest of them all. Because with him gone, so went his legacy, well sort of.

Yeah I know, "they'll bring him back one day" and all that jazz. Still, it had been a real rough few years for Chuck before his death and then for me as a reader it's kind of like, feeling really bleak for the X-Men currently that he's dead. Despite all that he'd been through I always viewed him as kind of an "anchor" to retaining just a little of what the X-Men were originally about. It was his dream to see realized after all.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Truer words never spoken, bro. Sometimes I wonder where they find these guys.

Now that I think about it some more, when Charles Xavier himself died it hit me; the mutants had reached such a low state of affairs that after looking back on it all the struggles that the death of Xavier could possibly be the saddest of them all. Because with him gone, so went his legacy, well sort of.

Yeah I know, "they'll bring him back one day" and all that jazz. Still, it had been a real rough few years for Chuck before his death and then for me as a reader it's kind of like, feeling really bleak for the X-Men currently that he's dead. Despite all that he'd been through I always viewed him as kind of an "anchor" to retaining just a little of what the X-Men were originally about. It was his dream to see realized after all.

TBH With Charles dead, there really is no reason for the X-Men to continue existing. Their mission statement is kind of outdated at this point, and none of the surviving members really embody the dream anymore nor have they done so for decades of real time.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mutant God

The Death of the X-Franchise when Bendis took over.

But seriously I say Nightcrawler

Takeshi55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nightcrawler, because he had a very lazy funeral and his everything was thrown away for bland Hope.

Denam_Pavel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Jok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine...

Autopsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Immolation

@sprior93 said:

Illyana's death was genuinely sad.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I didn't even like the saga, but Logan went out like a real hero.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By poisonfleur

No Caption Provided

I didn't even like the saga, but Logan went out like a real hero.

I'm sorry... I thought this death was a huge fail.. actually the whole arc was ............

NetherlandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Illyana