Should adult jean's and teen jean's feats be taken as one in the same?

marvelfan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

for battle threads, do you guys think their feats should strictly be taken as separate or are they enough of the same person to merit their feats to be merged, like teen jeans feats could be applied/used for adult jean?

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Technically they are the same person with the same powerset just honed and used in different ways, so it wouldn't be too much of a problem. However I would still steer clear of using Jeen's feats since (as stated) Adult Jean utilized those abilities in a different way. Adult Jean is way more skilled and has feats that trump Jeen has accomplished thus far.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so.... at least not in any serious discussion where it might matter.

The moment Teen Jean turned ripped off Ben 10 turned purple, we stopped being able to say that what she was doing was something "True" Jean was capable of at the same age. And because Emma confirmed that her powers developed differently without Prof X, then it confirmed that neither Jeans feats could really be applied to eachother because there's no way to say they could replicate eachothers feats.

Maybe if we're just discussing hypothetical things like potential power comparisons, Omega Level, or possible story implications...but otherwise if someone says "What can Jean do?" you have to pick one and use those feats for the discussion because everything about Teen Jean's growth is different..and 05 Jean at 16 could crush Adult Jean up till maybe her X-Factor days.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

I think they should be taken as separate. Both characters are distinct enough that I don't view them as the same person - they came from alternate timelines IMO so they can be considered subtly different.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they did, they'd have to throw in Madelyn Pryor too since she's a clone.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays

idk maybe jean is more powerful then she thinks she is....emma frost said jean was scared to use power because shes scared it would hurt her friends or herself(maybe turn evil)

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True, jean's powers evolved differently, she is more powerful now. But obviously not as skilled as old jean. Now, she doesnt need much telepathic skills. She can take on any telepath because she'd just get stronger with every telepathic attack thrown at her. All she needs now is creativity on the use of her powers

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthphoenix: Lol I know it does seem that way. Charles isn't here to dampen her powers that's why it's seems so easy for her. Jeen is pretty much an unhinged version of Adult Jean just without the skill and discipline. She doesn't have anything holding her back now so she's tapping into her unlimited potential.

@koays said:

I don't think so.... at least not in any serious discussion where it might matter.

The moment Teen Jean turned ripped off Ben 10 turned purple, we stopped being able to say that what she was doing was something "True" Jean was capable of at the same age. And because Emma confirmed that her powers developed differently without Prof X, then it confirmed that neither Jeans feats could really be applied to eachother because there's no way to say they could replicate eachothers feats.

Maybe if we're just discussing hypothetical things like potential power comparisons, Omega Level, or possible story implications...but otherwise if someone says "What can Jean do?" you have to pick one and use those feats for the discussion because everything about Teen Jean's growth is different..and 05 Jean at 16 could crush Adult Jean up till maybe her X-Factor days.

Well stated. Though I will have to disagree on the replication part. Jeen hasn't really done anything Adult Jean hasn't done herself during her lifetime with the X-men. I believe her "turning purple" was established in X-men (vol 2) #70, when Jean telekinetically separated nanotech placed within Cyke's body. Her siphoning psionic energy is no new trick either, Jean has pulled all these stunts off at one point or another. They have the same ability just applied in different ways. Jeen got a jumpstart in her abilities so that's why they seem so new.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Koays

@roddy2010: Well true enough that if we examine Classic Jean's catalogue we'll fine Teen Jean's powerset but it doesn't always equate in a way where they're feats are compatible in my opinion.

Something like Jeen dismantling the motorcycle might be usable in tandem with her Classic Version's reassembly of Emma Frost. It's the same feat and shows the level of precise TK she is naturally capable of. But then we encounter things like her Psi Absorption, a power that we can argue Classic Jean has used variations of in the past (my personal theory being that that's how she restored her TP a couple times) but never with enough adeptness to say that she's even actively aware of the power.

So if someone says "Jean Grey vs Xavier" we can't bring it up in a serious manor. However I do believe that if it's like "What is Jean Grey capable of?" or "Who is the most powerful mutant?" then we can discuss all the abilities and powers she has access to and the ability to develop.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#12  Edited By Teerack

I don't think so since their powers are developing differently do to their different circumstances.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By darthphoenix

When did jean do a psi vampire feat?

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I can see what you're saying and I am by no means saying the two should be used in such a way. I'm just pointing out the technicalities and killing this myth that Jeen has done anything new with her powerset.

@darthphoenix: When she didn't even have her telepathy she was able to siphon enough psi from Nate to fight Apocalypse on the Astral Plane. She siphoned Betsy's telepathy to her own, making it strong enough to effect people on a mental and physical level. She drained the emotions of traumatized animals and caused Juggernaut and a group of delinquents to relive their pain. However she doesn't use this ability often since Ironman confirmed that she creates her own psi-energy naturally. In her fight with Sabertooth she flooded his mind with her own psionic energy (despite his immunity at the time) supporting this statement.