Remender vs. Morrison (Best X-Related Run?)

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

So who had the best X-book run? Claremont is the king of course, but who else?

Peter David should get some props for his X-Factor work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I read both, and much, MUCH preferred Remender's.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

For the title: Remender

Best X-Books run:

-Chris Claremont

-Joss Whedon

-Fabian Nicieza

-Kieron Gillen

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the title: Remender

Best X-Books run:

-Chris Claremont

-Joss Whedon

-Fabian Nicieza

-Kieron Gillen

I don't understand why people keep mentioning Gillen. Has he done anything else than Uncanny vol 2? I dropped it during AvX, but wasn't impressed overall. Did it get that much better?

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knighthood: Well he's the best thing that happened is the recent X-Men books

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison ftw

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought would be Brian Wood.

Selina_Sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Morrison.

Remender's runs are overrated. The Apocalypse Solution was a great opening arc, but he's been disappointing ever since. A lot of his character arcs have been retreads of very recent stories or were just plain uninteresting. Dark Angel Saga had powerful moments anchor an otherwise padded arc. He has strengths as a writer for sure and a bunch of grand ideas, but I don't feel satisfied with his execution.

Plus, he's responsible for Uncanny Assimilation, which has been a wordy and cheesy mess with some themes that I feel are very anti-X-Men/mutant.

Morrison was an innovator with sharp dialogue and a strong sense of characterization. He really recreated the entire way mutants were seen. The only things I didn't like were the excess of silly background mutants I like the extraordinary, not girls with extra mouths.

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Remender easily IMO

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison.

Remender's runs are overrated. The Apocalypse Solution was a great opening arc, but he's been disappointing ever since. A lot of his character arcs have been retreads of very recent stories or were just plain uninteresting. Dark Angel Saga had powerful moments anchor an otherwise padded arc. He has strengths as a writer for sure and a bunch of grand ideas, but I don't feel satisfied with his execution.

Plus, he's responsible for Uncanny Assimilation, which has been a wordy and cheesy mess with some themes that I feel are very anti-X-Men/mutant.

Morrison was an innovator with sharp dialogue and a strong sense of characterization. He really recreated the entire way mutants were seen. The only things I didn't like were the excess of silly background mutants I like the extraordinary, not girls with extra mouths.

This. Thank your for saying for me! :D

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheesesticks said:

I liked his first two issues, but he's dropped the ball two issues in a row.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@knighthood said:

@cheesesticks said:

I liked his first two issues, but he's dropped the ball two issues in a row.

I haven't read X-Men #4 yet, but besides that series (which I'm loving so far), I also have to give him props for his run on the last volume of X-men from last year, his run on Ultimate Comics X-Men, and his Wolverine and the X-Men: Alpha & Omega mini series.

For me, Wood's been nailing it across the board.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I've seen a bunch of people raving about Wood's run on volume 3. To me, it was just OK.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

bahahahahahahhahha

seriously?

bahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

Morrison. Obviously.

eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

No love for Jason Aaron?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I tend to dislike Morrison's work or find it average at best so Remender is clearly superior IMO.

I would say the best X-Men writer overall is Peter David, though I am somewhat of a fanboy of his. :P

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

@eldestrisk said:

No love for Jason Aaron?

No.

No love for him.

Ever.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@oldnightcrawler: I've seen a bunch of people raving about Wood's run on volume 3. To me, it was just OK.

yeah, I clump his run on volume 3 with his new one on X-Men vol.4, which I'm really enjoying. Neither of them are groundbreaking or anything, they just have really solid characterization and lots of fun action, even without a lot of actual fights. I'm just saying I dig it.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison of course, he made me love the X-Men

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison

Yeah, I think there should be a rule that the mutations have to be at least entertaining to read about. I wouldn't even mind a pseudo scientific reason behind that. Leave the girls with extra mouths with the Inhumans. I'd prefer homo superior to have advantage-giving powers like a Superman, not random powers like Arm Fall Off Boy.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison.

I agree with you about Morrison and how he redefined the term mutant and X-Men... but you kind of contradict yourself when you say you did not like the excess background characters. That was Morrison's way of showing to us (the readers) on paper what he was trying to reinvent, mutants born with "mutations" that would not help them become superheroes, but just mutated humans who don't have a direction anymore.

What I disagree with you is your take on Uncanny X-Force... It was a brilliant title that set the standard of "black-ops teams" in the superhero universe. The art, the stories, the characters... it was an amazing series, with little flaws here and there (like the Otherworld arc... that was a waste).

I'm split between the two... while I loved Morrison's run, Remender has a place higher on my shelf.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

I read both, and much, MUCH preferred Remender's.

I prefer Remender's as well.

bahahahahahahhahha

seriously?

Morrison. Obviously.

Maybe I'm just jealous because I haven't received my secondary mutation yet. Come on papa needs a third earlobe!!! :)

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#24 god_spawn  Moderator

Morrison.

Let's not forget the forced, misrepresentation of some character's powers due to most likely a lack of research, and definitely some forced personalities and dialogue to try and make his story progress. He doesn't always do this, but when he does, it's bad.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#25 god_spawn  Moderator

bahahahahahahhahha

seriously?

Morrison. Obviously.

While I liked his Uncanny X-Force quite a bit and found it to be a very good book, I agree with you for the first time in awhile. I don't think you can compare these two.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By PeppeyHare

Remender

LimboBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LimboBot

@guttridgeb said:

I tend to dislike Morrison's work or find it average at best so Remender is clearly superior IMO.

I would say the best X-Men writer overall is Peter David, though I am somewhat of a fanboy of his. :P

while i agree on David ( because he's F*cking awesome), remender Doesn't come Close to Morrisons Level man, I can see why someone would dislike his style( as i don't like it myself), but the things Grant does is rarely matched by anyone.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

Morrison

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Uhm, Morrison. Because Morrison created Fantomex and Remender's UXF run wouldn't have been nearly half as good without him.

And this coming from someone who probably loves UXF more than anyone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guttridgeb said:

while i agree on David ( because he's F*cking awesome), remender Doesn't come Close to Morrisons Level man, I can see why someone would dislike his style( as i don't like it myself), but the things Grant does is rarely matched by anyone.

I can respect Morrison and how popular he is but because I don't like his writing style, Remender had a better run IMO. Overall I would guess that most people would prefer Morrison.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By Lvenger

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@eldestrisk said:

No love for Jason Aaron?

No.

No love for him.

Ever.

In Aaron's defense, his latest Thor run is really good. He's finally found something he's good at writing. But aside from Thor, his work is like an orchard of rotten apples with one good one growing in the midst of it. I don't know whether you're a Thor fan though so it's probably not up your alley anyway :P

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By X35

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Personally, I think JRJR's art let Captain America down more that Remender's writing. Have you read his Secret Avengers stuff? I really enjoyed that as well.

Backflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@guttridgeb said:

@theacidskull: Personally, I think JRJR's art let Captain America down more that Remender's writing. Have you read his Secret Avengers stuff? I really enjoyed that as well.

i haven't read that, but I heard that remender ruined Pym somewhat :/

No where near the massacre he did to Captain Britain in his SA run.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the way he wrote some of the characters but it was well written as a story.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

Pym becomes an evil Deathlok robot but it's okay because Beast is there and Beast is better at science than Hank and the minute Beast discovered he was on a team with Hank he instantly developed superior science to eventually beat Hank Pym because he knew Hank Pym would screw up somehow one day. Hank is miraculously normal again outside of that book with no reference or even allusion to the fact Remender had him killed and converted to a Deathlok.

No Caption Provided

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By TDK_1997

Morrison's run of course.But both writers for me have had maybe the best X-runs ever but no contest here.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By adamTRMM

Why do people adore Morrison so much? He tried to turn Homo Superiors into Homo Wierdos. Look at the WATXM, Jason Aaron is continuing his legacy with introducing more freakish mutants..

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By knighthood

@adamtrmm said:

Why do people adore Morrison so much? He tried to turn Homo Superiors into Homo Wierdos. Look at the WATXM, JA is continuing his legacy with introducing more freakish mutants..

I don't understand. He did introduce some interesting characters, and reworked some relationships, but that was about it.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Remender fell flat on his face straight after the DAS. Otherworld and onwards were major let-downs and thenceforth, the series began to tumble down in quality. But then forget that, his current Uncanny Avengers is awful. Plain awful.

Morrison actually set the standard and bar for modern-mutant life and put all of his characters, all of them, in controversial and for the majority of the time, beneficial, perspectives. He changed the scope of sociopolitical matters on the metaphor and went out there, storylines, interpersonal character moments and the lot. His run was definitive and like Claremont's, writers of today are still pulling themes and concepts from it.

He also wrote one of the best iterations of Jean Grey Summers (and Emma Frost). While going out with a bang.

Remender failed on all accounts, and still is.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

From what i've seen, people only liked Remenders run cause of the putrefying and overly incessant killing/action scenes, there were some gorgeous bits here and there and some real thought-provoking scenes, but nothing to constantly write home about.

And has been stated, this is not even a contest.