Posted by HAWK2916 (3458 posts) 3 years, 5 days ago

Poll: Do you like Magneto better as a villain or an xman? (42 votes)

better as a villain 60%
better as a hero 40%

I know Magneto is currently like the anti-hero but for a while now he has been a part of the Xmen teams. Recently in a poll Magneto got high votes as one of marvel's top villains, so my question is.... in what role do you prefer him more, hero or villain? For me the villain role just feels more original and in all honesty while its ok sometimes for villains to become heroes, in Xmen it seems to happen too much and too frequently. Its like now there are more Xmen than villains. Thoughts?

#1 Posted by nerdSmokeja (27 posts) - - Show Bio

until someone appears standing for what he stood far, then magneto is a villian to me

Avatar image for the_goddess_of_chaos
#2 Posted by The_Goddess_of_Chaos (325 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerdsmokeja: @hawk2916

i like him as a hero because as a villain he always ends up dying....he died more then three times

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
#3 Edited by Emequious_Swerve (1302 posts) - - Show Bio

Apart from the early "silver age" era of X-Men where he was very much a stereotypical, fist waving villain, and some other poorly written stories, Magneto has never really been a villain in the traditional sense.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
#4 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

Apart from the early "silver age" era of X-Men where he was very much an stereotypical, fist waving villain, and some other poorly written stories, Magneto has never really been a villain in the traditional sense.

Pretty much. Magneto's only real distinction as a character was when being a villain was part of his back story. He's as much a villain as Cyclops and Beast are the world's strangest teens.

#5 Edited by Chapmar (343 posts) - - Show Bio

After reading Magneto Testament it is almost impossible to describe him as a villain. He is a really brilliant example of a character defined in terms of his tragedy, his hate and his principles are understandable if not laudable.

#6 Edited by MakkyD (6944 posts) - - Show Bio

Villain, anti-hero has become mainstream.

#7 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't help but feel like people who prefer Magneto as a villain have never read a good Magneto story.

#8 Posted by Chapmar (343 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by HAWK2916 (3458 posts) - - Show Bio

i loved magneto testament. I still like him more as a villain just because you can agree with his point of view. I dont dislike his current role though imo he fits more in xforce. Its almost like star wars once i saw the whole story i was all for Darth Vader. The same with Magneto i dont really want him to change or apologize for who he is and thats why I prefer him as a villian and not as a figure begging for acceptance by the xmen.

#10 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

i loved magneto testament. I still like him more as a villain just because you can agree with his point of view. I dont dislike his current role though imo he fits more in xforce. Its almost like star wars once i saw the whole story i was all for Darth Vader. The same with Magneto i dont really want him to change or apologize for who he is and thats why I prefer him as a villian and not as a figure begging for acceptance by the xmen.

I think that's why he makes the most sense on Cyclops' Unapologetic X-men.

That he was one of the X-men's first and greatest villains is part of what I like about him, but after all of his character development in the 80's, and again in recent years, it just seems like playing him as a strait up villain is a waste.

That's something I hated about the 90's, that they backslid so much character development for the sake of giving the X-men a recognizable classic villain to market in other media; it just never really matched up with the stories I first learned to like him in. Years of character development swept under the rug to make the character black and white again for a new generation, he deserved better.

#11 Edited by darthphoenix (1795 posts) - - Show Bio

he might have lost much of his character as a hero but he's old, i think it's time for him to step back and give up an active lifestyle or his leadership. being a hero does give the x-men a great deal of power. he is one of the most powerful x-men now

#12 Edited by jhazzroucher (20707 posts) - - Show Bio

villain.

#13 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7699 posts) - - Show Bio

He needs to retire.

#14 Posted by mechem_93 (125 posts) - - Show Bio

He should follow Xavier's foodsteps.

#15 Posted by batmannflash (6294 posts) - - Show Bio

Villain

#16 Edited by Sinisteri (632 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved Magneto best as portrayed as White King of the Hellfire Club while also trying to mentor to the New Mutants, and especially as sovereign of Genosha. He is at his best when fighting for his cause.

At this point, I would love to see a well thought out story of Magneto dealing with a truly complex character that makes him confront himself at a different stage of his life-- but not a two dimensional character.

And it was played up in Excalibur, so I would love to see Magneto proactively confront Mr. Sinister whom it was hinted worked in the concentration camps during Magneto's childhood. They never met, but they were aware of each other's presence(Sinister in disguise of course).

#17 Edited by oldnightcrawler (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

He needs to retire.

I'd rather he were retired, or even be killed off, than be written as a strait up sooper villain again.

#18 Edited by Squares (8661 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by xchaix (35 posts) - - Show Bio

I just like Magneto as a Villain because he reminds me that the X-men were heroes at some point. Now all they do is fight each other. Same with Avengers. What happened to good guys vs bad guys? Why are all the bad guys becoming good guys and all the good guys just fighting each other?

#20 Posted by slimlim (299 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto is still the #1 X-Men Villain for me. That being said, Magneto as a Villain had become predictable.

I like him more now. Not as a villain. Nor as a hero. He is just simply... Magneto. He isn't sitting on the fence. Nor is he on one side or the other. Magneto has his OWN side. We all know what his deal is, but we don't yet know to what degree or extent he's willing to go to protect the mutant race. and it's this current state of ambiguity that i find interesting and exciting. Magneto has always been at his best when you don't know how to define him.

#21 Posted by GonnaRain (758 posts) - - Show Bio

"Our roles are nothing more but how the times choose to cast us" - Magneto.

Villain or Hero, he's just awesome. Thank God the crazy junkie representation from Planet X was retconed.

#22 Posted by M3th (2106 posts) - - Show Bio

He's too AWEsome to be casted as a villain or hero and I think he's best as a Anti-Hero why? I hate villains. why? There villains, they do evil things.

June'sVeryOwn

#23 Posted by Nerd Of A Hero (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

Better as a Villain imo.

#24 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimlim said:

Magneto is still the #1 X-Men Villain for me. That being said, Magneto as a Villain had become predictable.

I like him more now. Not as a villain. Nor as a hero. He is just simply... Magneto. He isn't sitting on the fence. Nor is he on one side or the other. Magneto has his OWN side. We all know what his deal is, but we don't yet know to what degree or extent he's willing to go to protect the mutant race. and it's this current state of ambiguity that i find interesting and exciting. Magneto has always been at his best when you don't know how to define him.

This is a great synopsis of what keeps Magneto interesting to me.

"Our roles are nothing more but how the times choose to cast us" - Magneto.

I love this quote. I think it illustrates Magneto's sort of singular perspective really well.

The thing that seems to get forgotten about Magneto (as well as characters like Xavier, Mystique, etc) is that he became who he was in a world that didn't have superheroes; in his lifetime, he would have been the world's first superhero, as far as he knew. Sure, he was driven kind of crazy and bent on revenge by years of trauma (as well as, probably, the effect his own powers would have on his mind when he wasn't wearing his helmet; see Polaris), but it's his perspective on the history of mutant persecution, that he feels he can only truly ever trust himself, that really makes him so singular and so great.

#25 Edited by Blacharrt1 (760 posts) - - Show Bio

he should be dead, like seriously, he's really old at this point and should be dying. But i like him as a anti-hero.

#26 Posted by Outside_85 (16065 posts) - - Show Bio

Villain, seems to have fall in with the wallpaper whenever he he becomes a hero.

#27 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

he should be dead, like seriously, he's really old at this point and should be dying. But i like him as a anti-hero.

he is really old, should probably be in his 80's anyway; but physically he should only be in his 50's, due to being reduced to infancy and then restored to the prime of his life, what would have been less than 20 years ago in-story.

#28 Posted by tomchu (533 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither, tragic villain was always the best. Uncanny X-Men #150 and #200 are proof of this.

#29 Posted by GonnaRain (758 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, to be fair, most of the characters should be old as f.ck by now really.

#30 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

Neither, tragic villain was always the best. Uncanny X-Men #150 and #200 are proof of this.

These are actually better examples of why Magneto shouldn't be a villain; issue 150 was the first time we really see that he doesn't see himself as a villain, that he's more than that, and by issue 200 he isn't even a villain anymore; he certainly isn't the villain of that issue.

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
#31 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (5661 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite Magneto was during New Mutants. He wasn't a villain or a hero, he was the headmaster of the Xavier institute in honor of his "dead" friend, training the next generation of mutants. New Mutants wasn't about a dream (Magneto or Xavier), it was about training, preparing and protecting young mutants for whatever life would throw at them.

#32 Posted by adamTRMM (4458 posts) - - Show Bio

At least nobody likes that pathetic junkie in Planet X lol

#33 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7699 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm said:

At least nobody likes that pathetic junkie in Planet X lol

Lol. Morrison's New X-Men (unfortunately) ended almost a decade ago. It's okay now.

#34 Edited by GonnaRain (758 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually did like New X-Men, I just didn't like that, at the time at least, Morrison presented Magneto as that creepy junkie. I'm actually glad they retconed it into being Xorn the whole time.

#35 Edited by adamTRMM (4458 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

Lol. Morrison's New X-Men (unfortunately) ended almost a decade ago. It's okay now.

There are still people who don't believe in the Xorneto retcon. For them, Magneto they see now is a fake created by Wanda before the HOM. Some people actually think that the genocidal mad maniac and junkie (who, after a brilliant manipulation he did before Planet X, somehow turned a total fool right afterwards) we saw, is a great character development and is IN-character for him. Is that so okay?

Avatar image for MadeinBangladesh
#36 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (12451 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like when Villains turn into heroes, but Magz was a badass a a Villain!

#37 Edited by Extremis (3741 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Magneto as a villain, because he was never completely villainous. Well maybe in some ways but he still means well and believes he's doing the right thing. He raises some interesting questions and that's why he works so well as a villain.

He's the X-Men's main villain and yet he doesn't want to be at all. He doesn't even see it that way. he wants them on his side. He's just such a compelling character.