All New X-Me and costumes

• 73 results
John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Weren't they supposed to be getting new costumes?

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I also always admired later versions that took the strengths and weaknesses of different characters into consideration. Consider that Cyclops' later costume's (especially his John Cassaday one), were mostly black for stealth, since he has no more durability than a normal human, whereas tougher characters like Wolverine or Colossus had brighter costumes, making them better targets to draw fire away from the less physically durable characters.

No Caption Provided

A problem with some of the costumes comes into play when you consider that Storm, Jean Grey, Phoenix, Banshee and even Cyclops initial blue-and-yellow condom made them just as much a target as the durable members of the team (yes, each of them can deal with projectiles and gunfire, but drawing fire and then dodging it is a bit harder for them to do than Colossus' style of 'tanking the hits, walking up to the villain and pulverizing them').

And as you can see in the Astonishing picture, Beasts upper body is exposed and Emma's clothing is not only brighter than the others but it is also not providing enough protection to her vital areas. While Beast has enhanced durability and is agile enough to dodge some gunfire and Emma has a diamond form (and this diamond form has a ridiculous flaw that makes it less protective when confronting repeated assault rifle fire).

So I don't think they made durability as much of consideration as having the colors contrast with hair, eyes and the colors of other teammates' costumes.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I love the classic costumes, I really do.

But I wouldn't be that against them wearing the First Class uniforms either - they're definitely a lot more streamlined.

On that note, First Class is one of my favorite X-books. It calls back to an earlier, more innocent time for the X-Men.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@oldnightcrawler said:

I also always admired later versions that took the strengths and weaknesses of different characters into consideration. Consider that Cyclops' later costume's (especially his John Cassaday one), were mostly black for stealth, since he has no more durability than a normal human, whereas tougher characters like Wolverine or Colossus had brighter costumes, making them better targets to draw fire away from the less physically durable characters.

No Caption Provided

A problem with some of the costumes comes into play when you consider that Storm, Jean Grey, Phoenix, Banshee and even Cyclops initial blue-and-yellow condom made them just as much a target as the durable members of the team (yes, each of them can deal with projectiles and gunfire, but drawing fire and then dodging it is a bit harder for them to do than Colossus' style of 'tanking the hits, walking up to the villain and pulverizing them').

And as you can see in the Astonishing picture, Beasts upper body is exposed and Emma's clothing is not only brighter than the others but it is also not providing enough protection to her vital areas. While Beast has enhanced durability and is agile enough to dodge some gunfire and Emma has a diamond form (and this diamond form has a ridiculous flaw that makes it less protective when confronting repeated assault rifle fire).

So I don't think they made durability as much of consideration as having the colors contrast with hair, eyes and the colors of other teammates' costumes.

Yeah, I think in many cases you're right. I do think that it works with the Cassaday versions, though, whether that was a conscious consideration or not. Emma, for example, does have her diamond form, and if she's not in her diamond form, she'd be pretty hard to surprise. Also, a thing about Emma's costume that I do like is that, while it does incorporate the idea of her using her body as a distraction, it actually does so very sparingly; consider that 1.) the whole of her arms and legs are covered, and 2.) when Cassaday drew her, she was almost always covered from the shoulders down by her cape. It's actually very well calculated.

I agree that Beast's look works the least well for this than the others (it is just a really styley, silly outfit, and I much preferred his Secret/New Avengers look really), but even he's more capable of taking (or dodging) a hit than Cyclops or most of the others, were they in their "human" forms, having denser muscle mass and faster healing than the others (except Wolverine). And he got this outfit just before Colossus returned, so it could be assumed that he was originally supposed to double as the second bruiser after Wolverine.

But yeah, the green and yellow may have worked for Phoenix because of her control of matter on a molecular level, or even Rogue when she had Captain Marvel's powers, but it never worked for Banshee or Siren. And Storm should really be in mostly black, even if it incorporates white or yellow, it should be mostly black; It's one of the things I hated most about her 90's Jim Lee costume. Man, Jim Lee made some ridiculous costumes...

TheGwailo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have to agree, I like them as well. This team is from a different time, and I think that their costumes relate that fact better than the First Class costumes. The costumes in First Class don't look all that dated, but they certainly look inspired by past costumes. That said, I'm afraid all of the costumes are going to go to hell with the 50th anniversary. I mean, I really, really hate the new cyclops look, and if they use any of this as an inspiration...we're doomed

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I have to agree, I like them as well. This team is from a different time, and I think that their costumes relate that fact better than the First Class costumes. The costumes in First Class don't look all that dated, but they certainly look inspired by past costumes. That said, I'm afraid all of the costumes are going to go to hell with the 50th anniversary. I mean, I really, really hate the new cyclops look, and if they use any of this as an inspiration...we're doomed

yeah, pretty much.

But I wouldn't be that worried if I heard that it was Immonen designing their new costumes; he's really good.

Does anyone know if he is?

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Actually you know what. I hated the brown and yellow on Hank in Full Human but when he went back to the Furry Beast I didn't mind it it so much. Actually I recall the color scheme was just xavier's favorite colors with no tactical advantage (at least not in original books). Sadly Cyclops color pallet is clearly limited 90% is blue variants and yellow. But scottie-neeto loves him some Red. Must be thinking about phoenix again.

ChocolateFrogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I'm kind of attached to Kitty's V-style outfit, it seems iconic by now. Plus it just highlights her features so well.

Avatar image for the_goddess_of_chaos
The_Goddess_of_Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Actually you know what. I hated the brown and yellow on Hank in Full Human but when he went back to the Furry Beast I didn't mind it it so much. Actually I recall the color scheme was just xavier's favorite colors with no tactical advantage (at least not in original books). Sadly Cyclops color pallet is clearly limited 90% is blue variants and yellow. But scottie-neeto loves him some Red. Must be thinking about phoenix again.

yup thats what i was thinking.....maybe he wants people to remember how scary he was when he turned dark phoenix....and he had a black and red look in x-men the end

No Caption Provided

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#60  Edited By Teerack

@the_goddess_of_chaos said:

@chasereis said:

yup thats what i was thinking.....maybe he wants people to remember how scary he was when he turned dark phoenix....and he had a black and red look in x-men the end

No Caption Provided

I'm thinking young Scott will wear something more like his old X-Factor(Blue & White) look solely because it's sorta the opposite color scheme of older Scott(Red & Black) who he doesn't want to be like.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Man I loved that costume. I especially loved when he lost the skullcap. It really showed he was becoming ACTUALLY confident unlike now. He acts more arrogant than anything. And think of how much he likely spends in conditioner for all that hat hair.

@the_goddess_of_chaos: I hope not. Were that the reason he has fallen farther than I thought. Scare tactics and niche psychological warefare are very unbecoming when you have optic blasts that can level a mountain.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX
Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscars94 said:

@thegreyoutcastx: I just prefer classic or Whedon's run.

Fair enough. I like those too, but not Colossus's Astonishing. It was a throwback to what I thought was a bad costume.

xmentas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@lykopis said:

I like them -- if anything, I am dreading what the new costumes will look like while this whole "Atom" business goes down to line up with the 50th Anniversary.

Dreading in a good or bad way? Kinda don't want these costumes to ruin the "classic" O5 look.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xmentas said:

@lykopis said:

I like them -- if anything, I am dreading what the new costumes will look like while this whole "Atom" business goes down to line up with the 50th Anniversary.

Dreading in a good or bad way? Kinda don't want these costumes to ruin the "classic" O5 look.

Dreading in a bad way. I don't want the classic O5 look ruined either but I suspect it will be.

:/

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

@lykopis said:

@xmentas said:

@lykopis said:

Dreading in a bad way. I don't want the classic O5 look ruined either but I suspect it will be.

:/

There's a "good" way to dread?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Better than Morrison's New X-Men look.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert:

LOL --- yes, there is a good way to dread! Like -- when you know you are about to finish reading a particularly awesome story (dreading the end) but still so excited to get to the great reveal!

:P

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

@lykopis: I would argue that you are anticipating, not dreading. Or perhaps you are anticipating the reveal while also dreading having no more story, but the dread maintains its negative aspect :P

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By lykopis
akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers