Wonder Woman's Intellect.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

You'll always read a lot bout Batman's intellect level and there are many references about Superman's intellectual level as well. In the New 52 Lex Luthor spouted about how Superman was only second to him in intellectual prowess. But there is rarely anything about this when it comes to Wonder Woman.

Isn't Wonder Woman the intellect behind the Purple Healing Ray from back in the Marston era or am I just pulling that from somewhere else and getting confused (found this digplanet.com ~ image to the left). Either, or doesn't really matter, my point is doesn't Diana have a genius level intellect?

No Caption Provided

With the embrace of this new battle skirt wearing Wonder Woman, there has also been a a change in her demeanor and presence as more of a barbarian than philosophically inspired protagonist of peace. While I know that this has been prevalent for a long time, (Pre-52 - even before the death of Maxwell Lord perhaps, my memory fails me), it seems that there's no interest in exploring the notion that she could fit into broader intellectual designs. Is this ability something that's just not attractive to creators that have had the privilege to work on her pocket of the universe or is the dichotomy to counter scale to the warrior princess that has been featured on the printed page and in film as of late?

While I'm not saying that she's written as a dullard doesn't she have the potential to meet Batman's deductive reasoning on just about every level as well as Superman's investigative prowess? I just finished reading Brian Hitch's Justice League of America, and while I liked it I felt that Wonder Woman was conveniently cordoned off while most of the heavy thinking and problem solving was left to the Bat. Team book dynamics aside, she's also not shown to be an on par level thinker to Superman or Batman in very many incarnations of the character.

Does anyone think that this is something worth exploring? Shouldn't she be a bigger contributor to the JLA/DC Universe think tank or is her character best served in this Warrior model, that doesn't seem to be going anywhere any time soon?

I'm sure that this topic has been explored before, I'm just too lazy to look for it.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

You'll always read a lot bout Batman's intellect level and there are many references about Superman's intellectual level as well. In the New 52 Lex Luthor spouted about how Superman was only second to him in intellectual prowess. But there is rarely anything about this when it comes to Wonder Woman.

Isn't Wonder Woman the intellect behind the Purple Healing Ray from back in the Marston era or am I just pulling that from somewhere else and getting confused (found this digplanet.com ~ image to the left). Either, or doesn't really matter, my point is doesn't Diana have a genius level intellect?

No Caption Provided

With the embrace of this new battle skirt wearing Wonder Woman, there has also been a a change in her demeanor and presence as more of a barbarian than philosophically inspired protagonist of peace. While I know that this has been prevalent for a long time, (Pre-52 - even before the death of Maxwell Lord perhaps, my memory fails me), it seems that there's no interest in exploring the notion that she could fit into broader intellectual designs. Is this ability something that's just not attractive to creators that have had the privilege to work on her pocket of the universe or is the dichotomy to counter scale to the warrior princess that has been featured on the printed page and in film as of late?

While I'm not saying that she's written as a dullard doesn't she have the potential to meet Batman's deductive reasoning on just about every level as well as Superman's investigative prowess? I just finished reading Brian Hitch's Justice League of America, and while I liked it I felt that Wonder Woman was conveniently cordoned off while most of the heavy thinking and problem solving was left to the Bat. Team book dynamics aside, she's also not shown to be an on par level thinker to Superman or Batman in very many incarnations of the character.

Does anyone think that this is something worth exploring? Shouldn't she be a bigger contributor to the JLA/DC Universe think tank or is her character best served in this Warrior model, that doesn't seem to be going anywhere any time soon?

I'm sure that this topic has been explored before, I'm just too lazy to look for it.

All 3 of the trinity prior to New 52 were considered highly intellectual. WW has wisdom of Athena, is a master strategist and diplomat. I think it's referenced quite a lot. Even more than Superman to some extent. Superman varies between genius intellect that he doesn't use too much, to just a very smart guy. Obviously Batman bc of lack of powers has to rely on intellect more.

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super-wonder: WW is very smart, but not really on the same plane in terms of their specific niches. Superman cannot be beat in terms of scientific genius sanse a couple of other DC characters. No one can beat batman in terms of deductive reasoning and finding his opponents weaknesses and exploiting it (once again except a few characters). WW is master when it comes to war time genius and philosophical wisdom.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's be real here. They don't even say "wise as Athena" anymore. She's not the Justice League's master strategist devising plans for war leading the charge into battle. She does colossally stupid things in her own title, she rarely solves the problem without help, even Rucka has her being naive to the point it's annoying and she learned English much quicker under Perez. DC needs to show and prove.