Wonder Woman's many swords

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Saint_Sophie

That World War Hulk vs Wonder Woman made me wonder (no pun intended), just how many swords does Diana apparently have? And is her apparent atom splitting sword her standard gear, yet she uses a slightly altered sword in all of her other appearances?

I know she has her atom splitting sword, apparently the sword Clark stopped mid air "isn't" her atom splitting sword as it didn't hurt him and she has two that come out of her bracelets. And she has several swords that are slightly altered and apparently count as entirely different swords. So just how many does she supposedly have?

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@agent41: I'm just asking. An educated guess or a look at all of her appearances could do that. But I also want to know if she even has more then one standard sword. Apparently she does.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I kind of always figured she only has one. Which is the atom slicing one.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think many of those are supposed to be the same sword but every artist likes to design their own version of it, just like her costume. And they look pretty lame, short like it's a lady's weapon, some of them resemble a penis. The best one yet is Fabok's.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: Ah, thanks. I was probably jumping to that conclusion as well. I do have to agree though, Lee's in particular made me think that it resembled a penis.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

If it can really slice atoms, how does she use it without creating a nuclear explosion?

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters said:

If it can really slice atoms, how does she use it without creating a nuclear explosion?

Because that would take extreme precision that she doesn't have? Obsidian, a volcanic element, can be sharpened to have an edge a molecule's width (usually for surgical purposes, iirc) but people aren't setting off mushroom clouds left and right.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor: Its not that she wouldn't have the precision IMO. Its just that she can't see Atoms. She does have microscopic vision, just not to the same degree as Superman.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@klaus: She has to an extent, some degree of microscopic vision? Do you have the scans?

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@saint_sophie: This one's even more phallic I think, this one has the length of an actual penis too

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@agent41 said:

BHy the way why do you thnk war world hulk wouldf one-shote New 52 WW?.

Because currently she is not in Hulk's league in strength, durability and striking power? One of her best striking feats IIRC is destroying a building and lifting a ship. If it was Pre Flashpoint Diana I'd say she has a better chance but right now as it stands, no.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd like to say only one. Those drawn swords from other comicbook titles are the artists' depiction. For all reasons, the swords may vary in drawing but it's pretty clear that it has the same purpose, a sword that can cut anything

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me its hyperbole,IIRC superman has blocked it fine, didnt do anything to DS, and if it was atom splittting wouldnt it constantly cause explosions with the air while moving?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2: How is it hyperbole? Superman asked if the sword can cut atoms and she replied that Hepheastus said it can, then they proved it and split an atom. Superman never blocked her sword. He grabbed it while Diana wasn't moving it. Had she swung forward instead of kicking him, I have no doubt it would have cut him. And no, the only reason it caused that explosion was cause they were in a nuclear facility and it caused a chain reaction.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus: if an atom is split an explosion is caused there are atoms in the air so it should make explosion constantly while moving it, it dosent matter if she swung it or he grabbed it, you wouldnt be able to grab an atom spliting seord because your hand would just get cut. Lastly if it was atom splitting why did she have to stab darkseid in the eye, and when she did stab him in the eye if it was atom soltting why didnt it go through his whole body????

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: @foamborn: You would think you people had never seen Greek swords before....

I have but only recently when the photo of Gal Gadot was released at SDCC. However, to anyone that doesn't know what's a xiphos, it just looks like a tiny, puny weapon compared to what we're used to seeing.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2: That part's always confused me. If it cuts atoms, it should be cutting atoms all the time. But I've drawn to the conclusion that maybe Diana actually needs to be precise in order to do it. Or that the sword is mystical by nature so you have that.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2: Not really. That only happens when you split atoms more heavy than iron 56. Even then, the sword was created by the god Hepheastas and is magical. The logical explanation (as far as comic logic goes) is that he enchanted the sword to only split atoms when the user directly tries to. Superman can see atoms and would have known how lightly to hold the sword, probably knowing Diana wouldn't cut him with it.

And are you being serious with the Darkseid thing? They had the plan to neutralise his eyes so that he can't use the Omega beams. Also we don't know how durable Darkseid is and whether or not he has magical resistance as a god himself.

I don't know what you're trying to debate, but there is no doubt that Wonder Woman has an atom splitting sword as it was confirmed in Superman/WW #6. What is debateble is whether she uses the same sword all the time and whether or not its less effective against magic.

Another good explanation is that Soule made her sword atom splitting in Superman/WW #6 after the Darkseid invasion. Geoff Johns probably didn't know at the time.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: Hey, no one I asked has the scan from Batgirl so I'll go get it from the comic store this week and upload the scan.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ATOM SPLITTER
ATOM SPLITTER
THE SWORDS SHE USED MORE THAN ANY OTHERS IN AZARELLOS RUN
THE SWORDS SHE USED MORE THAN ANY OTHERS IN AZARELLOS RUN
A STRAIGHT SWORD WITH GOLD AND RED
A STRAIGHT SWORD WITH GOLD AND RED
HER PERSONAL SWORD IN HER CLOSET. LOOKS MIDEVIL
HER PERSONAL SWORD IN HER CLOSET. LOOKS MIDEVIL
REGULAR SWORD SHE USED BEFORE HAPHAEASTUS MADE THE ATOM SPLITTER
REGULAR SWORD SHE USED BEFORE HAPHAEASTUS MADE THE ATOM SPLITTER
a SPEAR SHE PULLED OUT OF HER BRACERS
a SPEAR SHE PULLED OUT OF HER BRACERS
COOL SWORDS SHE PULLED FROM HER BRACERS
COOL SWORDS SHE PULLED FROM HER BRACERS
WEIRD LOOKING HANDLE
WEIRD LOOKING HANDLE
COOL ROUND SWORD SHE USED ONCE
COOL ROUND SWORD SHE USED ONCE
COOL LARGE SWORD, REMINDS ME OF GAME OF THRONES
COOL LARGE SWORD, REMINDS ME OF GAME OF THRONES
ASIAN/MIDDLE EASTERN INFULENED? SWORDS THAT ARE ON FIRE
ASIAN/MIDDLE EASTERN INFULENED? SWORDS THAT ARE ON FIRE
ANOTHER ASIAN SWORD WITH A TASSLE LOOKING THING AND NO CROSS ON THE HANDLE
ANOTHER ASIAN SWORD WITH A TASSLE LOOKING THING AND NO CROSS ON THE HANDLE
SAME PLAIN FLAT SWORD FROM UP ABOVE
SAME PLAIN FLAT SWORD FROM UP ABOVE
AWESOME SWORD WITH WING LOOK DECORATED HANDLE.
AWESOME SWORD WITH WING LOOK DECORATED HANDLE.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SodamYat
FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:

@saint_sophie: Hey, no one I asked has the scan from Batgirl so I'll go get it from the comic store this week and upload the scan.

You go girl, fetch some evidence that she's less than Superman at supervision too.

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Self-DCeit

Let's not forget that Diana is also a fan of the Lord of the Rings:

No Caption Provided

Also, the phallophilia in this thread is impressive. Some people will really see a penis anywhere...

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Klaus
@foamborn said:
@klaus said:

You go girl, fetch some evidence that she's less than Superman at supervision too.

First of all, I'm a guy. Secondly, just because she can't see Atoms, that does't mean her Supervision is less than Superman's vision, it just means her Supervision is different. For example, Wonder Woman can see through magic and illusions while Superman can't say the same.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Klaus

@sodamyat: @saint_sophie: Here is another interesting one. A sword in her hand, and one resembling the atom splitting sword on her thigh. Clearly she uses more than one sword all the time.

No Caption Provided

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FoamBorn

@klaus said:

First of all, I'm a guy. Secondly, just because she can't see Atoms, that does't mean her Supervision is less than Superman's vision, it just means her Supervision is different. For example, Wonder Woman can see through magic and illusions while Superman can't say the same.

I apologise then, perhaps I'm confusing you with someone else. Anyway I'd rather her not have supervision, than less supervision. She's like Superman divided by 5 now. Her resistance against magic has nothing to do with the faculty of vision, and it's not even reliable. When Graves attacked the Justice League she fell just like everyone else

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324
deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like editorial is somehow still confused over her sword. Why is she still carrying around a sword on a belt when her bracelets can conjure any weapon she wants?

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: If she uses all of those swords, and they appear to be different, then why is it stated that the atom slicer is her standard sword given how she appears to use a different one in each one of her appearances? Unless it's just the same atom slicing sword but altered to the artists accord.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: If she uses all of those swords, and they appear to be different, then why is it stated that the atom slicer is her standard sword given how she appears to use a different one in each one of her appearances? Unless it's just the same atom slicing sword but altered to the artists accord.

Im glad we cleared up this silly notion that shes using the same sword but with a slightly different look due to different artists since we can see just how different all those swords are. Glad you see what I mean now and we can move forward. Thank you, sir.

Ok now to address this question you ask me. Im sure I have answered it already, but I will do it again, just for you. The atom slicer has been her standard weapon as of a year ago starting with SM/WW #1. I hope that helps.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

Im glad we cleared up this silly notion that shes using the same sword but with a slightly different look due to different artists since we can see just how different all those swords are. Glad you see what I mean now and we can move forward. Thank you, sir.

Ok now to address this question you ask me. Im sure I have answered it already, but I will do it again, just for you. The atom slicer has been her standard weapon as of a year ago starting with SM/WW #1. I hope that helps.

I didn't say ALL of them were the same sword so I don't what you think you just accomplished here

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By Outside_85

To answer the question fairly:

• Azzarello made Diana's upgrades very specific, as in saying there was a before and an after she was able to fly and able to pull out weapons of her bracelets. Before she gained either, she just couldn't fly and as shown kept a sword in her closet. The bother only starts when you have other artists drawing different looking swords that are still supposed to be the same as the one Chiang/Akins put in her hands.
  • Charles Soule/Tony Daniel made the 'atom splitter' the sword that comes out of her bracelets, as we saw her extract that sword from them. Now while Diana states Hephaestus is the creator of the blade, we haven't ever seen her put any weapons back into her bracelets once she's done, they just vanish when she lets go. So I'd say it's a fair assumption the 'atom splitter' is the standard sword that comes out.
Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't recognize any sword she uses as the atom splitting sword unless it specifically says so in the text.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To answer the question fairly:

• Azzarello made Diana's upgrades very specific, as in saying there was a before and an after she was able to fly and able to pull out weapons of her bracelets. Before she gained either, she just couldn't fly and as shown kept a sword in her closet. The bother only starts when you have other artists drawing different looking swords that are still supposed to be the same as the one Chiang/Akins put in her hands.
  • Charles Soule/Tony Daniel made the 'atom splitter' the sword that comes out of her bracelets, as we saw her extract that sword from them. Now while Diana states Hephaestus is the creator of the blade, we haven't ever seen her put any weapons back into her bracelets once she's done, they just vanish when she lets go. So I'd say it's a fair assumption the 'atom splitter' is the standard sword that comes out.

Yeah I think so too. The atom splitter is really just Wonder Woman's standard magical sword that she used to split an atom once.