Wonder Woman kicked out of U.N. after complaints over costume

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://comicbook.com/2016/12/12/wonder-woman-run-as-u-n-ambassador-ends-after-protests/

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Unfortunate.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because whining so-called feminists who haven't even got the class to see beyond appearance and are even willing to body-shame other women.

Pathetic.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Those protesters who objected to Wonder Woman being too over sexualised were completely ignorant of the character's history and values she represents but I can at least understand wanting the position to go to a real person rather than a fictional character. That should have been the focus rather than Wonder Woman's costume.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC vs PC! Who is more tolerant??

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. WW is just a big breasted white woman in a body suit? I didn't care either way about the inclusion, but the reason to kick her out is just false and shows how little they actually know when it comes to Diana. People will protest anything.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

SJW's strike again

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeee927346fb
deactivated-5aeee927346fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SJWs and feminists: "DON'T BODY SHAME"

Proceed to body shame fit women. How the double standard flies completely over their heads is truly remarkable. I can barely begin to fathom the amount of training they must have put into their mental gymnastics.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a sad event.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By GhostRavage

This is so stupid.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By destinyman75

@ghostravage: yup stupid what are the names of those who started the anti Diana stuff in the first place I'd like to let them know how stupid they are

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Something I've noticed about many of the vocal modern-feminists is that they're usually overweight if not outright obese, unattractive cry babies. Double standards exist everywhere, many believe that an attractive woman who takes care of herself is merely participating in the "patriarchy." The worst part about this entire thing is that these imbeciles know nothing about Wonder Woman, but these are fictional characters and the premise was bizarre in the first place.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Something I've noticed about many of the vocal modern-feminists is that they're usually overweight if not outright obese, unattractive cry babies. Double standards exist everywhere, many believe that an attractive woman who takes care of herself is merely participating in the "patriarchy." The worst part about this entire thing is that these imbeciles know nothing about Wonder Woman, but these are fictional characters and the premise was bizarre in the first place.

You're not wrong on pretty much all these points.

HellSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Come on really?

Lots of stupid people who know nothing about anything. I mean I could understand if it was on the basis of her being fictional because its kinda weird (Though I don't mind) but this is dumb. If people do stuff like this can't they make up a good reason, even if they don't actually care about it?

Can the U.N. not have more than 1 honorary ambassador or something? The U.N. already does basically nothing, at least try to make it seem like they are doing something serious.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wanting an ambassador who is not fictional is fair enough.

The irony of so-called feminists complaining that a woman is not fit for a role based on her appearance is laughable and the fact that thousands of people felt so strongly about it to sign this lame petition is almost as ridiculous. Also, this isn't the 90s, it's not as if every artist hypersexualises her.

Not that I particularly care, but some people really need to get a grip.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
deactivated-5a853424245e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the label of "lipstick feminist" is probably what most accurately describes my beliefs in this context, and to say the least, I'm disappointed with Diana getting fired over what seems like trivial and irrelevant complaints. On the flip side, I'm not too sure if fictional characters last long in these positions, as per a UN spokeman's statements:

The UN did not provide further details as to why the Wonder Woman campaign was ending this week, but spokesman Jeffrey Brez said campaigns using fictional characters often lasted no longer than a few months.

The designation of Angry Birds, a collection of animated characters that originated in an online video game, as UN climate change envoys in March lasted a single day, he said.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The world just keeps on getting stupider.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

I'm losing my faith in humanity every single day. Oh wait, I lost it sense I was a kid, it just goes even further.

Avatar image for inquisitor_lavellan
Inquisitor_Lavellan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The irony that comic book fans were accused of being sexist for appreciating unrealistic representations of women, yet those who are supposed to fight for women's rights are the ones to judge it on appearance alone. I personally believe a real person should be appointed to the role rather than a fictional character, but that is besides the point. There are people who pretend radical feminists and SJWs are not real. Then I look at this and I am like.

No Caption Provided

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interestingly, the image they used in the petition was a montage of Gal Gadot I found on tumblr that I re-touched and posted here on comicvine a year ago, even though there's a wealth of far more objectifying pictures of Wonder Woman readily available on the internet they could've picked to get their point across, such as the cover of Wonder Woman: Earth 1

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Come on really?

Lots of stupid people who know nothing about anything. I mean I could understand if it was on the basis of her being fictional because its kinda weird (Though I don't mind) but this is dumb. If people do stuff like this can't they make up a good reason, even if they don't actually care about it?

Can the U.N. not have more than 1 honorary ambassador or something? The U.N. already does basically nothing, at least try to make it seem like they are doing something serious.

Exactly. Great points and I'd like to add something to that. These guys really got right down in the gutter with this one. The point they should have been making is why aren't there more women working as ambassadors for the UN. They should have been talking about more representation for women. Instead they are talking nonsense about WW breast sized and being her being overly sexualized.

As if unless you're an unattractive, prudish virgin you can't be a role model for women. Its completely absurd. If this is modern feminism count me out and I have always supported the feminist movement. Its appalling the way they've been speaking.~

WW was simply supposed to be used as a well known symbol so that other women who they obviously would celebrate as "real life" wonder women could be high lighted and have a bigger platform to speak with young girls. Especially if the WW movie and JL became a success next year. I mean it is clear as day this was a publicity ploy that was supposed to be mutually beneficial and to reach young girls. Instead they think some figure head which young girls may never have heard of is going to be a better poster child. The people who signed this petition literally have the mentality of children.

It is truly unfortunate we live in a world where Wonder Woman and Angelina Jolie etc are more well known than a woman who put her life on the line for womens rights in Pakistan - but the fact is that is the world we live in. So if they have a problem with a fictional character becoming an (stress) "honorary" Ambassador because their are real women more qualified, then the approach would be to suggest, yes, she can be used as a symbol to perhaps reach people that may can't but also lets take this opportunity to also elect some real ambassadors an attach them to the campaign.

Added to that the notion that WW being scantly clad is a bad global message for the UN and anti-feminist, strikes me as rather puritan and having more in common with backward religious attitudes towards femininity than progressive ones. I mean the fact women are saying how can we use WW image in the middle east. Don't they see the complete irony in that? We shouldn't and no woman should have to apologize for what she decides to wear. The west and all progressive nations should be championing that as one of our core values and strengths. Instead these feminists are worried about pissing off countries where women can be convicted for adultery. Well done idiots.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmfao over all the butthurt in this thread.

MaxSchreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

There is a counter petition against this, would be great if you could support it. Its a shame that Diana, who has always been an icon of feminism, is treated such a way. That some people would rather have a real life feminist like Malala as ambassodor is understandable, but all the other arguments the people arguing against Diana used simply don´t hold water.

https://www.change.org/p/anyone-who-stands-for-equality-maintaining-wonder-woman-as-the-ambassador-of-empowerment-for-the-un?source_location=petitions_share_skip

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Epyon007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no problem with a fictional character being a honorary ambassador. It's merely symbolic than anything else. You do realize Tinkerbell is an ambassador for the UN. :)

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Super-Wonder

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/22/fashion/lynda-carter-wonder-woman-united-nations.html?_r=0

Lynda Carter Deflects Critics of Wonder Woman

Q. There seems to be some disagreement about what a feminist icon should look like.

A. What I find interesting is that they didn’t look at the larger picture. I agree that the issue of gender equality is much larger than any character is, and I understand that a comic book character should not be representative of something that is that important. I agree with that. What I disagree with is this idea about Wonder Woman. She’s an iconic defender, she’s archetypal. It’s the ultimate sexist thing to say that’s all you can see, when you think about Wonder Woman, all you can think about is a sex object.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Avatar image for thecapeddetective
TheCapedDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I'll be honest here, growing up watching JL animated and reading comics, Wonder Woman was probably the only super heroine that I didn't particularly think of as an eye candy. First impressions of other super heroines like Powergirl, Ms Marvel, Black Canary, Rogue etc didn't have that much of an impact on me as Wonder Woman did. I always thought of her as an ideal female character with great writing. Wonder Woman might mostly be drawn in a swimsuit but that doesn't undermine her legacy as an ideal icon of peace and equality in comic books.

Rosenovel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rosenovel

@jphulk26: This. I agree with this so much. The fact that they cared so much more about an honorary title than the fact that women are demonstrably underrepresented in actual UN appointments is very disappointing. I don't remember this reaction when the UN passed on actual highly qualified women for actual UN positions like secretary general. Honestly, I would be far less mad if they had this same anger about real women being passed up for actual positions of power instead of dedicating their efforts to knock down a comic character in a fake position because of her outfit.