SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

No Caption Provided

Description

As the demigod daughter of Zeus and Hippolyta, queen of the Amazons, Wonder Woman has been trained from birth as a Themysciran representative for the human world. In this exciting new addition to the "Insight Legends" series, Diana shares her unique perspective on the world, as both a fearless warrior and an ambassador of peace. Filled with insight on everything from growing up on Themyscira to being a member of the Justice League and becoming the God of War, "The World According to Wonder Woman" divulges all the information aspiring superheroes need to step into her boots. Also including special removable items such as a map of Themyscira, newspaper clippings reporting on Wonder Woman's exploits, Steve Trevor's incident reports, and a page from a Themysciran book illustrating the legend of Diana's birth, this fascinating look into Wonder Woman's life will delight fans of the Amazon princess.

About the Author

The author of the Amazon best-selling hardcover Batman: A Visual History, Matthew K. Manning has contributed to many comic books, including Beware the Batman, Spider-Man Unlimited, Pirates of the Caribbean: Six Sea Shanties, Justice League Adventures, Looney Tunes, and Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? When not writing comics themselves, Manning often authors books about comics, as well as a series of young reader books starring Superman, Batman, and the Flash for Capstone. He currently resides in Asheville, North Carolina with his wife Dorothy and their two daughters, Lillian and Gwendolyn. Visit him online at www.matthewkmanning.com.

Product Details

ISBN: 9781608875306

ISBN-10: 160887530X

Publisher: Insight Editions

Publication Date: December 8th, 2015

Pages: 64

Language: English

Art

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Archizooom

I know what I'm about to say will sound lame and petty but it's bad enough that they turned Wonder Woman into a female Hercules, now they're using the font from the Hercules Disney Movie? Appalling. And lazy.

For future purposes I suggest Times New Rope

No Caption Provided

PaulBulman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: Oh really? I didn't even notice! Though I didn't have anything to do with final layouts or design elements like that, so...

@saintwildcard: Hope you like it!

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The important part is it looks like Dr. Psycho will be in this story.

PaulBulman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: He's on a page, yep. Though this isn't a traditional comic book, in that sense, with panels and sequential artwork. Instead it's more of an informative book that details aspects of New 52 Wonder Woman's life, beliefs, friends, enemies and interests - and then has comic art throughout.

QuasarPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how both Superwoman and Giganta are shown here!

Do they appear in anymore detail or elsewhere within the book?

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By johnqestion

Finally a WW book with the new 52 origin. Looks cool.

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By johnqestion

@brunnhilde said:

I know what I'm about to say will sound lame and petty but it's bad enough that they turned Wonder Woman into a female Hercules, now they're using the font from the Hercules Disney Movie? Appalling. And lazy.

For future purposes I suggest Times New Rope

No Caption Provided

Speak for yourself. Honestly you are so negative just for the sake of it. Now the font is offensive. eye roll. And your suggestion looks like the freaking middle ages.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: Oh really? I didn't even notice! Though I didn't have anything to do with final layouts or design elements like that, so...

I did though because I'm a designer and when I do a layout, what I do is I plod through my big ass font collection. Then I got to the studio and see what they have and I try a million more. Then I go to myfont.com looking for something fresh, I take a screen grab from the sampler and I trace it on Illustrator to avoid paying 200€ for a type family I'll probably never use again. Then I tweak it here and there to make it perfect. When I'm happy with what I came up with, we show it to the client. More often than not he'll be like "hm it's not what I had in mind, I was thinking something more like that". So I go home pissed and do it all over again.

Now whoever did this went to dafont.com>Hercules>download. done.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulbulman said:

I did though because I'm a designer and when I do a layout, what I do is I plod through my big ass font collection. Then I got to the studio and see what they have and I try a million more. Then I go to myfont.com looking for something fresh, I take a screen grab from the sampler and I trace it on Illustrator to avoid paying 200€ for a type family I'll probably never use again. Then I tweak it here and there to make it perfect. When I'm happy with what I came up with, we show it to the client. More often than not he'll be like "hm it's not what I had in mind, I was thinking something more like that". So I go home pissed and do it all over again.

Now whoever did this went to dafont.com>Hercules>download. done.

Or they simply followed a thorough creative brief. You have no idea what constraints this person was working under when they created this, you also have no idea if the designer went through your exact process and got shut down by a decision maker. Or perhaps some publisher has reams of data on "what sells" and dictated an ancient greek feel which doesn't really leave a whole lot of room for someone to work around. There are a thousand reasons this font could have been chosen, yet you immediately leap to the assumption that it was a "lazy" designer.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@dshipp17: He's on a page, yep. Though this isn't a traditional comic book, in that sense, with panels and sequential artwork. Instead it's more of an informative book that details aspects of New 52 Wonder Woman's life, beliefs, friends, enemies and interests - and then has comic art throughout.

Great to hear; can you increase the page count for Dr. Psycho? One page is so scarce in 64 page book.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Archizooom

@csg_cl: This screams design express, fast food design, I don't know what you call it in America but we have these "fast-food"design shops where you go and choose a layout from a catalogue then you return the next day to pick up the finished product, it's cheap, quick and looks like crap. They put legitimate studios out of business and licensed designers on unemployment which is what's gonna happen to me when the powers-that-be let me go.

PaulBulman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: This screams design express, fast food design, I don't know what you call it in America but we have these "fast-food"design shops where you go and choose a layout from a catalogue then you return the next day to pick up the finished product, it's cheap, quick and it looks like sh!t. They put legitimate studios out of business and licensed designers on unemployment which is what's gonna happen to me when the powers-that-be let me go.

I get what you're saying, but like it's been mentioned before, there are numerous aspects to any design - as you would know. In the end, I've seen the mock up of the final product and felt the design elements were a good fit for the overall theme, despite your feelings on how little thought or effort seemingly went into them. The book has an appropriate look and feel for Wonder Woman, and the underlining Greek design, which in the end was what the publisher wanted.

But at the end of the day, I draw comics and supplied the hand-drawn imagery. So...

PaulBulman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:
@paulbulman said:

Great to hear; can you increase the page count for Dr. Psycho? One page is so scarce in 64 page book.

Sadly no. It's been color proofed and sent to print at this point.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulbulman: I get a little carried away sometimes, I'm sorry, just wanted to say something about DC's half-assed layout designs. I'll say no more about it

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

looks cool. will check it out

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers