Superman/Wonder Woman #9 Spoilers

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dshipp17  Online

Superman gets handled by Wonder Woman without the bracelets.

No Caption Provided

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

*amazed gif*

Want....must have

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Nice to see Diana's capabilities. I am sure that will please fans (probably not) who constantly complain about her being weak.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love how he beat the Red Lanterns. Also weird reveal of who leaked those photos

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By ArchiZoom

@saint_wildcard: She said she did it for the sake of both Superman and Wonder Woman but I can't work out how doing so benefits them. Any idea?

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ArchiZoom

@squalleon: Sure, this half-showing by Wonder Woman absolutely warmed my heart.

Every month Soule likes to reveal something that Superman's better than Wonder Woman at so as I always do today I wondered what this months revelation would be: she still can't breathe in space whereas he can.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Don't worry. It will only be a matter of time before someone posts the scans of her saying she can't survive long in the upper atmosphere and crying about how weak she is compared to Superman (who does it regularily with no issue)

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Squalleon

@squalleon: Sure, this half-showing by Wonder Woman absolutely warmed my heart.

Every month Soule likes to reveal something that Superman's better than Wonder Woman at so as I always do today I wondered what this months revelation would be: she still can't breathe in space whereas he can.

What exactly do you like about her anyway? If you want just an OP character that is female, I can introduce you to better ones.

And the things that make you angry sometimes are plain weird, I mean WW could never breath into space because it was never part of her lore BUT no you are angered by it! Your views on what makes a character good are silly.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArchiZoom

@squalleon: I've seen her breathe in space before and being a goddess she should be able to do so but Soule likes to emphasize her weaknesses. As for why I like Wonder Woman, I believe we had that discussion before, a lot of us dread seeing Wonder Woman portrayed as a pale shade of Superman.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: I can live with this one. She's never been as durable as a Kryptonian so it makes sense that she can't leave the atmosphere without some type of equipment. I'm more interested to see how much taking off the bracelets really affects her power levels and how long she can go without them and retain control. In the last confrontation between WW and Superdoom she kept them on, but her intimated that he could harm her, now she removes them, but seems to easily manhandle him.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Squalleon

@archizoom said:

@squalleon: I've seen her breathe in space before and being a goddess she should be able to do so but Soule likes to emphasize her weaknesses. As for why I like Wonder Woman, I believe we had that discussion before, many of us dread seeing Wonder Woman portrayed as a pale shade of Superman.

I only remember one, WW and space don't go together often. And I remember she wore a mask in Kingdom Come.

I don't remember asking you, maybe we had, care to repeat?

EDIT: I deleted the last comment, I don't want to get into a flame war.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ArchiZoom

@jdhaddad1973: I could live with it too if this were one of a small number of weaknesses but Soule reveals a new weakness every month and obviously he does that on purpose, it really grinds my gears. She didn't even touch Superdoom, she stopped him with her cry which she can do now and quickly trussed him up with the lasso of truth. She didn't need to hit Super Saiyan mode to do that.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: I was expecting to see more of a fight when they showed her without the bracelets as well. But I take solace in the fact that she was clearly more than a match for SD at this point

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: I'm guessing she had ulterior motives. She had no interest in healing Clark and only wanted to kill him and tried to make him mad in front of Diana.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdhaddad1973: What about her insistence that Hessia tried to heal Superman knowing she'd most likely die. How did Wonder Woman think Hessia was going to accomplish that ? She did have that belt but Wonder Woman didn't know that. And why would she ever let Hessia meet with Superdoom on her own, did she think Superdoom would sit through a little medical examination, I mean it didn't occur to this dumb ass version of Wonder Woman that the lasso would come in handy to hold down the beast while Hessia administered the cure. Apparently not. And what's with Superman introducing Hessia to Doomsday saying she's here to "heal us"

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: well, WW does point out that Hessia was the most accomplished Amazon Healer ever. I grant you it's weak, but she at least had a reason to involve her.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: No I mean leaking the photos, how does it benefit Superman and Wonder Woman and how come she had the photos to begin with.

DemonKnights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DemonKnights

So what we learned today is that superdoom > superman

And Diana quickly handled superdoom without her cuffs.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdhaddad1973: right so you think that scene was legit, you don't see anything wrong with it. okay

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: no I said she had a reason to ask Hessia to get involved, not that it was great story telling. In fact I flat out stated it was weak so please do not put words in my mouth.

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman not being able to stay in space for long doesn't simply make her weaker. It takes away any chance of her to be considered top tier.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ArchiZoom

@jdhaddad1973: you're right, I guess I expected a little more. Weak is quite a euphemism in describing that scene, the storytelling in this book is shockingly bad

DemonKnights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DemonKnights

Hulk can't do anything in space other than float around helplessly. Doesnt stop him from being high tier.

Additionally, she.just finished handling superdoom easily and superdoom is > superman. Sooo Yea.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: It is poor work. I hope they can pay this off in the end, but I'm not particularly hopeful ... My expectations of this series dropped dramatically after the first issue

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DemonKnights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdhaddad1973: well for one it makes Wonder Woman almost useless in outer space, where so often important battles take place.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not cool hessia not cool at all. Still diana kicked ass way better than the red lanterns did thats for sure.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Bout time we got a good representation of Wonder Woman outside of Azzarello's book.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: she has a quick chat with Hephaestus and she gets a handy armor upgrade. Even Kara admits she can't stay in space for longer than she can hold her breath so it's not as universal as it used to be

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By dernman

It didn't look like WW handled Superdoom. Clark was fighting it the whole time.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

looks cool but I'll have to read the issue to be sure. My only complaint with Azzarello is that he doesnt care about feats. At least it seems that Soule plans to rectify that.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this issue was sorta spoiler-ish it look like diana was in control of god mode but in her own comic she always goes little berserk im guessing after her rematch with FB she was able to control it?

anyway my favorite part was doom and superman talking.I also laugh that doom can punk superman but nope he aint no wuss like bruce banner trolololol jk

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RustyRoy

WW shouldn't be more powerful than Superman, with or without bracelets.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

this issue was sorta spoiler-ish it look like diana was in control of god mode but in her own comic she always goes little berserk im guessing after her rematch with FB she was able to control it?

I think it could be more in the sense that Diana is unwilling to accept the kind of damage she will do to the surrounding area when she is in god-mode. Like if her blows begin to create pressurewaves that knocks out the windows of buildings and rain down onto civilians. Think it was Azzarello that said that Diana's only true weakness was that she cares so much that a Superman/Zod MoS fight might break her.

@rustyroy said:

WW shouldn't be more powerful than Superman, with or without bracelets.

Why not?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: @agent41: I like her to be as strong as Aquaman, I don't have a problem with her being nearly as strong as Superman but I don't think she should be stronger than him.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Honestly, I would see her as being equal to Aquaman as an immense de-powering. In my mind, Diana should be slightly weaker than Superman, but able to best him on most occasions because she's a superior combatant due to training.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Honestly, I would see her as being equal to Aquaman as an immense de-powering. In my mind, Diana should be slightly weaker than Superman, but able to best him on most occasions because she's a superior combatant due to training.

I don't have any problem with that but that should be mentioned.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@outside_85:

Seeing as how she's an actual goddess now, I think she should be elevated to a congruent level with Superman. She should be planet level and have some divine powers IMO. I think Diana is far too weak in the new 52 considering she's one of the Greek gods.

DemonKnights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes it did. It definitely looked.like she handled super doom easily. Doomsday was in control. He says" my turn" And starts wrecking, then Dina knocks him down and.ties him up and flys into space. After the effects of kryptonite are gone, clark finally comes to control and says " I'm back".

Kara also mentions that superdoom is stronger than superman.

Sooo yea

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality: Think the only thing stopping that from happening is DC and it's ingrown perception that there is nothing thats so big that it cant be humbled by a knuckle sandwich from the man of steel, not even beings that's supposed to be greater than anything from the mortal plane.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#43  Edited By Lvenger

So all I'm seeing in those scans is Diana sneak attacking SuperDoom in her God Mode then taking him into space to clear his mind of SuperDoom's influence. I don't see how Wonder Woman with God Mode>Superdoom who apparently is>Superman now. That logic doesn't make sense in all honesty and the context of the fight needs to be accounted for too. Also, how did Superman/Superdoom beat the Red Lanterns anyone?

@outside_85 Technically, Aquaman does have better physical showings than Wonder Woman now in The New 52. He's blocked a continent busting attack, lifted cruise ships casually and punched holes through mountains in his New 52 series. I haven't seen Diana match Arthur's physical showings in strength or striking power in her series thus far, good as it's been to read.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I am putting the lack of easily quantifiable feats in WW down to Aquaman being written as a superhero story by a pair of superhero minded writers. Meaning Azzarello isn't interested in doing things that might upset the tone of his story or possibly defang the threats Diana faces.

Instead we have to read between the lines and go on words rather than hard feats. Look at it this way, Hercules might have awe-inspiring feats to his name already with his brief appearance and the best Aquaman could do was BFR'ing him in a maze. Diana on the other hand has defeated the First Born, a god so vile and so powerful that most of the other gods are running away from him when they aren't caught and slain. If the First Born was to appear somewhere outside of Azzarello's book, I am pretty sure a high-end feat is not far behind him.

That said, it's not like Diana is being starved for feats in the New 52 and such with SM/WW, which also helps bringing in some comparisons between her world and that of Superman (see his meeting with Apollo as an example).

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I am putting the lack of easily quantifiable feats in WW down to Aquaman being written as a superhero story by a pair of superhero minded writers. Meaning Azzarello isn't interested in doing things that might upset the tone of his story or possibly defang the threats Diana faces.

Instead we have to read between the lines and go on words rather than hard feats. Look at it this way, Hercules might have awe-inspiring feats to his name already with his brief appearance and the best Aquaman could do was BFR'ing him in a maze. Diana on the other hand has defeated the First Born, a god so vile and so powerful that most of the other gods are running away from him when they aren't caught and slain. If the First Born was to appear somewhere outside of Azzarello's book, I am pretty sure a high-end feat is not far behind him.

That said, it's not like Diana is being starved for feats in the New 52 and such with SM/WW, which also helps bringing in some comparisons between her world and that of Superman (see his meeting with Apollo as an example).

When did she beat FB?

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@outside_85 said:

Aquaman knocked him out first. Then threw his unconscious body into a maze.

All while not really wanting to hurt or kill him. He even said during the fight "Hercules, the hero I revered about as a child?". Arthur even pitied him because his mind had deteriorated so and ultimately it was Aquaman's ancestors who were responsible for it, thus making him feel responible.

He never once tried to attack Hercules with his Trident, only further proving his intention not to seriously harm Hercules.

He threw him in the maze as a temporary option, because he has no other place to put him. But he still wants to help him (and will probably do so with Diana's help in the annual issue)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@outside_85: True, Azzarello isn't a mainstream superhero writer in that sense nor does he put an emphasis on big flashy feats in his action sequences. He's even said so in an interview IIRC and you're right, there is a stark difference between the superhero nature of Aquaman's current series and the Greek mythology/horror tone Wonder Woman has.

I do have to question when Diana beat The First Born though. She only stabbed him through Ares with her spear and he was occupied with Ares giving Diana the option to finish him off. In all three of their straight up fights, Diana gets owned by First Born, even when in God Mode. Yet Aquaman did do pretty well against Hercules even when on land and he got some decent striking feats against Aquaman in their fight. Though First Born is clearly powerful, it's not much saying that he can kill other gods and make them scared of him as they're mostly featless.

This leads onto my reply to your final paragraph in that whilst I agree Diana does get showings elsewhere, they aren't enough to establish her being physically superior to Aquaman yet IMO. Yeah she owned Artemis, almost stalemated Hermes and did all right against Apollo but Artemis did have a physical advantage over her in their non God Mode fight, Hermes managed some solid speed blitzing over Diana and Apollo wrecked Diana moreso than he did to Superman in their fight. Basically, what I'm saying is that Superman can handle most of the Olympian Gods like Diana could because he has the showings to justify that conclusion. He blocked Hephaestus' strike effortlessly in SM/WW so he's clearly on the Greek Gods' level.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Outside_85
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Also don't mistake my comments for implying Arthur would beat Diana. She is still faster and more skilled and her trio of bracelets/swords/lasso beat out his Trident.

But I don't see how its an insult if someone is "only as strong as Aquaman" considering he's been consistently one of the strongest characters in the New 52. Off the top of my head Superman is the only one with consistently better raw strength feats.

Hell, lets use Shazam as an example. When he decked Superman, Clark came back in like 1 panel to tackle/blitz Shazam. When Arthur punched Clark in Throne of Atlantis, Clark was off-panel for like half the issue.

Neither would beat Superman obviously and in a realistic scenario probably can't hurt him much with just punches, but still. There's no doubt Shazam is stronger Pre-52 versions but the fact that it was such a glaring difference now only proves how Arthur is viewed - at least to Geoff Johns anyway since he wrote both instances (and his wrote the vast majority of both characters appearances New 52). Both are rather isolated incidents obviously, so GJ probably didn't have the comparison at the forefront of his mind but still worth noting.

It probably will change going forward, but again. being "only as strong as Aquaman" isn't an insult.