Superman or Steve Trevor?

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Superman or Steve Trevor? (78 votes)

Superman 44%
Steve Trevor 56%
 • 
CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't much care to be honest, but I think Steve has been part of her history for so long that if asked to choose he makes more sense. I didn't dislike the SM relationship, but I don't think it did a whole ton for her either.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God after the awfulness that was SM/WW I fully realized that whenever she is paired with anyone in the Trinity she takes an immediate back seat. For her sake, pair her off with one of her own characters. It shouldn't even be an issue.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By dshipp17

Nether, as the same old perfect with perfect in media outlets is just plan dull and overplayed. Logistically speaking, however, it makes more sense with Superman; however, Superman has been with Lois Lane or Lana Lang, except Wonder Woman/Steve Trevor isn't even close to as established a pair as Superman with Lois Lane or even Superman with Lana Lang. Putting Wonder Woman in an Esmeralda/Quasimodo hook up would be immensely more interesting and entertaining; please, just leave the Wonder Woman with Steve Trevor in the past and try something new like an Esmeralda/Quasimodo hook up between Wonder Woman and a new character or Wonder Woman and Dr. Psycho.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Archizooom

I didn't mind the idea of Wonder Woman dating Superman at first, however Soule and Tomasi both made a very solid case against that relationship, it was painful. Wonder Woman belongs with sweet beautiful Steve, they were literally made for each other

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

Nether, as the same old perfect with perfect in media outlets is just plan dull and overplayed. Logistically speaking, however, it makes more sense with Superman; however, Superman has been with Lois Lane or Lana Lang, except Wonder Woman/Steve Trevor isn't even close to as established a pair as Superman with Lois Lane or even Superman with Lana Lang. Putting Wonder Woman in an Esmeralda/Quasimodo hook up would be immensely more interesting and entertaining; please, just leave the Wonder Woman with Steve Trevor in the past and try something new like an Esmeralda/Quasimodo hook up between Wonder Woman and a new character or Wonder Woman and Dr. Psycho.

You think the "perfect and perfect" pairing is trite, yet you are suggesting an alternative that is every bit as overdone. Next up I'm sure we'll start hearing about the need for her to be in a lesbian relationship because that would be more "unique"

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not invested in the Steve Trevor relationship, but I much prefer it to Supes.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Steve easily

ImMadNice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do you think this will work in the DCEU? Considering it takes place in WWI so Steve will be dead in present time.

Mexicutioner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a fan of Supes/WW as a couple, I don't think they're right together they just don't fit for me so I'd have to go with Steve. Realistically I'd like to see them try her with someone new though if she has to have a love interest.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By dshipp17

@csg_cl said:
@dshipp17 said:

You think the "perfect and perfect" pairing is trite, yet you are suggesting an alternative that is every bit as overdone. Next up I'm sure we'll start hearing about the need for her to be in a lesbian relationship because that would be more "unique"

The alternative is not overdone and nowhere to be seen; that example is nowhere in comparison; other than Beauty and the Beast and the Esmeralda/Quasimodo case, where in all media can you name an example that I propose? If you can name any, I bet it wont be more than counting on one hand; you know that's something you just made completely up; meanwhile, the perfect/perfect dynamic is all throughout media history in the millions, billions, or maybe even trillions. And, no, I'm not going to propose a lesbian or bisexual thing, where my suggestion is skipped altogether to get to that case; others have proposed that and skipped my suggestion altogether, however.

See, look at what this dude just said nearly before I could reply to you, and even after knowing my proposal. So, it needs to be done to remove people just like him and shift him over to a shallow female character that he's so desperately seeking; there are some, just don't bring that over to Wonder Woman.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Definitely not Steve Trevor. Out of the two Superman but in general neither.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Greg was saying to me ‘Steve Trevor is a little bit Steve Rogers [aka Captain America].’ They’re of the same generation, they’re of the same era, traditionally. They’re good guys looking for a cause, and finding a modern version of that is providing Diana with a good guy that is completely and utterly unthreatened by her ability. Because he’ll just think that she’s awesome, because she is. And she’ll just think that he’s awesome because he is. And the fact that there’s an incredible power difference and genetic difference between them is irrelevant."

"I felt it was important that — for Diana — that she isn’t just every other superhero guy’s girlfriend at some point. Because that’s a little insulting to her. It doesn’t really serve her terribly well, and it doesn’t really serve any of the traditional love interests of any of these characters."

~ Nicola Scott

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's nice that we have stories in canon and peripheral to all the incarnations of this character so that no matter the choice, creator or patron, (Superman & Wonder Woman Forever!!!!!) we can read and reread those stories again and again. ;)

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Greg was saying to me ‘Steve Trevor is a little bit Steve Rogers [aka Captain America].’ They’re of the same generation, they’re of the same era, traditionally. They’re good guys looking for a cause, and finding a modern version of that is providing Diana with a good guy that is completely and utterly unthreatened by her ability. Because he’ll just think that she’s awesome, because she is. And she’ll just think that he’s awesome because he is. And the fact that there’s an incredible power difference and genetic difference between them is irrelevant."

"I felt it was important that — for Diana — that she isn’t just every other superhero guy’s girlfriend at some point. Because that’s a little insulting to her. It doesn’t really serve her terribly well, and it doesn’t really serve any of the traditional love interests of any of these characters."

~ Nicola Scott

To bad this will likely fall upon deaf ears once Rucka and Scott leave.

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

I don't much care to be honest, but I think Steve has been part of her history for so long that if asked to choose he makes more sense. I didn't dislike the SM relationship, but I don't think it did a whole ton for her either.

Agreed.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think that the SM/WW idea still has merit, but the series definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. Ruck seems to be putting great effort into building the Diana/Steve relationship so I'll vote that way, for now.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revivalmh: I agree that the Superman - Wonder Woman relationship has merit and the series wasn't well thought out, but the fan boy in me still holds out hope that one someone will give it it's due.

This quote from Scott & Rucka isn't fact but opinion based on how they fell about the character of Wonder Woman. Pairing her with anyone can be interpreted as insulting if that's how it's chosen to be perceived. Scott illustrated that Blackest Night tie in where she has this ridiculous fantasy about Batman and the statement about "every other superhero guy's girlfriend" is a little hypocritical since she contributed to that notion, but also suggests that she's been with a ton of other hero types, and that isn't the case.

I could go on but perhaps I'll collect my thoughts for another thread.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZariusII

Steve's been there for her through all her ups and downs in the N52 era, now that she's realised her relationship with the boy toy jerkass N52 Supes was something forced on to her by alterations to reality, it's time she repaid him for that loyalty and repair her relationship with him

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Saint_Sophie

I've always from the first time I found out about Steve Trevor and then reading about Captain America's alter ego felt that Steve Trevor was basically Marston's take on Rogers in a way tbh..

As for Supes, well Diana kind of takes a back seat with him. If it were me, I'd like a partner for Diana that's equal almost in physicality (well she was suppose to be able to bat with the boys) and also gets her world. Understands her on a deeper level. But in the same coin, that Diana understands him as well. I don't know if I've ever (power level aside) felt that way with Steve Trevor and Diana. I for sure didn't feel that way with Clark and Diana. Then again, I don't think they've been played as much together (Steve and Diana) until the New 52 like say, Lois and Clark have.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Steve Trevor

Rosenovel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steve

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:
@csg_cl said:
@dshipp17 said:

The alternative is not overdone and nowhere to be seen; that example is nowhere in comparison; other than Beauty and the Beast and the Esmeralda/Quasimodo case, where in all media can you name an example that I propose? If you can name any, I bet it wont be more than counting on one hand; you know that's something you just made completely up; meanwhile, the perfect/perfect dynamic is all throughout media history in the millions, billions, or maybe even trillions. And, no, I'm not going to propose a lesbian or bisexual thing, where my suggestion is skipped altogether to get to that case; others have proposed that and skipped my suggestion altogether, however.

See, look at what this dude just said nearly before I could reply to you, and even after knowing my proposal. So, it needs to be done to remove people just like him and shift him over to a shallow female character that he's so desperately seeking; there are some, just don't bring that over to Wonder Woman.

given the fact that you literally named two of the most famous love stories in existence between a beautiful woman and a beast like man I don't see how you are making a good point regarding the originality of this angle. Go onto Goodreads and look at how many versions of Beauty and The Beast are out there and you'll see 108 entries not even counting the Young Adult or Children's books versions ... want some additional stuff that play on this concept?

As Good as it Gets

Manhattan (Woody Allen)

Phantom of the Opera

Cyrano de Bergerac (Roxanne, with Steve Martin)

Dudley Moore's 10 (Bo Derek)

There are probably thousands of others too ... the concept is all over the place ... just google "ugly guy and hot woman" and you'll get pages of results.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By alsummers

Blackest Night was a crossover event and neither Scott or Rucka had the amount of editorial power they have now. So they likely had no say in what DC wanted them to do.

And I think their point is that she's been with a superhero from other franchises more times than she has been with characters from her own stories. Which is sad. It does seem that Superman and Batman can date within and outside of their own circles, but Wonder Woman can only date a JL member.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By TheExile285

Steve.

Anna_Karenina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nemesis.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I always thought Nemesis was basically a Steve analog, but after reading up on him a little I see that there's a bigger backstory.

I did like what was that story, the theme of procreation and maternal inclinations, but I think that story with Nemesis was clear that she did not love him but just found him a suitable donor. It's been a long time since I've read that story so I could be wrong, but that was the impression that I left with.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super-wonder: Even then the whole time with Nemesis I was thinking it was just a way to put Steve in but have everyone think it was someone completely different. That said, there are some differences in personality that makes Nemesis not seem like a complete copy. And I did like the donor storyline with him, if it had progressed further it arguably could've opened up a door of progression for Wonder Woman.

Rosenovel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined: steve and in absence of steve the other steve captian america (or sam wilson either one) never superman!

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I hate Steve Trevor. He's a boring milquetoast character who adds nothing to Diana's stories other than as a plot device to get her off the island. At best, he's bland and boring and at worst, he's a whiny annoying loser. I hope to hell that Rucka isn't going to try to rekindle that terrible romance.

Sure, Steve has been around since the beginning, but he hasn't become an interesting character like Lois Lane. I'm usually one to respect a character's history, but DC needs to jettison Steve Trevor asap. (marry him off to Etta Candy or something)

The Superman relationship could have been handled so much better than it was. Johns introduced it and pretty much did nothing with it. Their book had a few decent moments, but it didn't really explore the dynamics and implications of their relationship like it should have. And now with Rebirth, DC has pretty much pissed on new52 Superman's grave by making the (apparent) love of his life not mourn him and forget about their relationship.

As for the poll; due to him not being a crappy character, Superman wins by default.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Steve over Superman. Her relationship with Superman was a bad idea to begin with but how they handled it was even worse from what i hear. I never like when she's paired with another superhero because she basically loses her identity and/or becomes their cheerleader. Im not big on Steve and Diana but at least Steve has some real meaning to her world with Diana being able to be the stronger person in the relationship without Steve becoming a joke for not being "the right type of guy."

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ZariusII

@rdclip said:

Well, I hate Steve Trevor. He's a boring milquetoast character who adds nothing to Diana's stories other than as a plot device to get her off the island. At best, he's bland and boring and at worst, he's a whiny annoying loser. I hope to hell that Rucka isn't going to try to rekindle that terrible romance.

Sure, Steve has been around since the beginning, but he hasn't become an interesting character like Lois Lane. I'm usually one to respect a character's history, but DC needs to jettison Steve Trevor asap. (marry him off to Etta Candy or something)

The Superman relationship could have been handled so much better than it was. Johns introduced it and pretty much did nothing with it. Their book had a few decent moments, but it didn't really explore the dynamics and implications of their relationship like it should have. And now with Rebirth, DC has pretty much pissed on new52 Superman's grave by making the (apparent) love of his life not mourn him and forget about their relationship.

As for the poll; due to him not being a crappy character, Superman wins by default.

N52 Superman was a crappy character though

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Generally, I guess you are right; new52 Superman was pretty bad (mostly because of the involvement of Scott Lobdell). However, there were moments of brilliance new52 Superman's time (by other writers, Lobdell is still garbage). They were few and far between, but they were there. Steve was a whiny baby for the entirety of the new52 and he was a boring milquetoast for the rest of his existence.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ScouterV

Rick Flagg

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always hated Steve Trevor until recently with Rucka's make-over. Now I want him and Diana to have a strong healthy relationship, until New 52 Superman comes back from the dead and tears it all apart again. :) Ultimately only a Superman is worthy for a Wonder Woman.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supes

Avatar image for deactivated-5af85f4e3dbf7
deactivated-5af85f4e3dbf7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She shouldn't date Superman (or Batman). Steve Trevor or any supporting character of her own mythos, or a new character would be better.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Food for thought on the Superman discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e497e3f11e30
deactivated-5e497e3f11e30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

Epyon007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I probably prefer Steve over Superman, but not really a big fan of either tbh.

Rosenovel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steve, obviously. But captian america works too

subzar032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why don't you have the option of neither in there? F both those guys, I like her with batman