• 84 results
Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

From the DC Entertainment: Grant Morrison: The Multiversity & Beyond Panel:

• Morrison then spoke about his take on Wonder Woman, saying "I don't really like the sword and shield thing, I don't like this idea that the only way to show strong women is to make them look like Conan the barbarian."
  • "Marston said he created Wonder Woman to be the opposite of the bloodcurdling images of masculinity in comics. If only he was writing now, he'd really have something to fight against."
  • Morrison's Wonder Woman will explore her origin, with the Amazons putting Wonder Woman on trial for visiting man's world.
  • "This book has no fights. It really throws all the rules of boy's adventure fiction. I tried my best to do a book to pass the Bechdel test. For the first forty pages there are no men, it's just women talking about science and art."
  • "These aren't bloodthirsty women who haven't changed in 7,000 years, they have their own culture and art."
  • "It's a big shock for Wonder Woman that not all people are this perfect example of genetically engineered beauty.
makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@agent_z: Reminds me of Classic Perez Themyscira. Sounds cool. But the no fights will cost them readers. Guaranteed.

Kazuma_Bushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No fights? No reason for me to bother reading it then

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sound rather boring but I still check it out

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No fights? Kiss my a**

YOU HAD ONE JOB, MORRISON.

leakywigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No fights? Kiss my a**

Seriously. This is a joke right? I´m serious, Morrison is not putting out a ww earth one comic, with no fights in it. Is he a completel f-ing idiot. I am so pissed, right now. Honestly DC, what is so bloody hard?

This can´t be true. Even DC can´t be that stupid.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

No fights? No reason for me to bother reading it then

No fights? Kiss my a**

@somayareece said:

No fights? Kiss my a**

Seriously. This is a joke right? I´m serious, Morrison is not putting out a ww earth one comic, with no fights in it. Is he a completel f-ing idiot. I am so pissed, right now. Honestly DC, what is so bloody hard?

This can´t be true. Even DC can´t be that stupid.

Are you people serious with this

Kazuma_Bushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

Are you people serious with this

100% Percent

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kazuma_bushi: Why? Do you really just read stories for the fights?

leakywigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Dude the comics going to fail. It could be the greatest story in the world, but ww is a superhero, people expect her to take on badguys and fight them. I´ll still probably buy the comic, but does he honestly think this is the best way to deal with ww. is he dumb. is it so hard to update wonder woman´s origin in, use a classic villain of hers and have her save the world from his or her dasterdly plot. He can still explore all the ideas he was talking about without being a complete hippy and alinating 75% of the potential audience. This is insanity.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leakywigs: The comic is going to be published no matter what, and some of its sales will be because it's Grant Morrison. He can pick and choose where and when he works, so the theoretical failure of this book is going to have no effect on him, or DC or Wonder Woman. There are plenty of great superhero stories that have no fighting at all or just some minor filler fighting of thugs.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By dernman

• "These aren't bloodthirsty women who haven't changed in 7,000 years, they have their own culture and art."

and yet it doesn't mean they have to be modern either. I actually like the halted progress because to me it fits with the selfish nature of their gods. They probably wouldn't want them to stray to far and be dependent on them, continuing to worship them.

• "It's a big shock for Wonder Woman that not all people are this perfect example of genetically engineered beauty.

Genetically engineered is a bad idea to use when it comes to the Amazons. Like it was done in some lab somewhere.

leakywigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

and yet it doesn't mean they have to be modern either. I actually like the halted progress because to me it fits with the selfish nature of their gods. The probably wouldn't want them to stray to far and be dependent on them, continuing to worship them.

Genetically engineered is a bad idea to use when it comes to the Amazons like it was done in some lab

Are @kazuma_bushi and @somayareece the only ones who aren´t total hipsters around here. Why the hell would aren´t people kicking off. No VIOLENCE? MotherF$$E$

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leakywigs: I didn't mention my opinion on the no violence comment.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Azzarello's gods don't seem reliant on worship and belief so why would they care if the Amazons become less dependent on them.

leakywigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@leakywigs: I didn't mention my opinion on the no violence comment.

Well what is your opinion?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

@dernman: Azzarello's gods don't seem reliant on worship and belief so why would they care if the Amazons become less dependent on them.

Reliant and desire are two different things. Even in Azz's run they expected obedience and considered their worshipers theirs. Besides this Earth One and not main Azz's Universe

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: if you know it's a different universe why does it bother you the Amazons are different?

Kazuma_Bushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

Why? Do you really just read stories for the fights?

No, but the fact that a fight couldn't be included in a comic book that's going to be over 100 pages lessens my desire to read it.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the no fights thing is interesting. He's really taking it back to the original concept from Marston where Wonder Woman was the hero who tried to find no violent solutions.

leakywigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By leakywigs

@muffin_sangria said:

I think the no fights thing is interesting. He's really taking it back to the original concept from Marston where Wonder Woman was the hero who tried to find no violent solutions.

Do you want WW to fail? I would love to watch a two hour drama, just exploring the Amazons as WW´s movie, but that is not going to sell. This book might be great, but there is an expectation from Earth One comics from fans and - ahhhh - I just can´t anymore. Cool, hope you enjoy, no one else will.

I´ll buy the book anyway, it sounds interesting, but it´s actually true. I just read it myself. This guy is an idiot. I´m sure it will be a great comic, but what a stupid, stupid thing to do.

Can they not just release this as his own ww project and actually just get someone to write an actual ww earth one?Books gonna bomb and they´ll blame WW, instead of their dumb ideas. She´s a superhero for god sake, people buy her books to see her in action adventure stories. Surely you could have explored Martsons ideas in some other way. I am mad as hell right now. I thought it couldn´t get worse than the travesty of new 52, now this crap.

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Typical Morrison bullshit I see.

His,zombies will eat it up.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

We knew he goes to capture the philosophical element of the Marston comics. And wants to make the whole comic more in line and in thought. Is he going overboard....could be. I personally feel, it is silly to think women aren't interested in adventure,but again he is trying to capture the essence of a series of ideas of another human being, who lived under the status quo of a different century. That isn't easy.

Anyway, hugely excited and eagerly waiting.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not particularly a Morrison fan, but I'm slightly surprised by the reaction here. Fights aren't necessary for a good story. I'd much rather the story explored who WW is than was just an excuse for a fight. Reserving judgement until I read it.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

@dernman: if you know it's a different universe why does it bother you the Amazons are different?

Go back and read what I said? Where does it suggest that it was directed at it not being the same? You're the one that brought up Azz's run. I was just pointing out the flaw in your statement.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

On an island inhabited only by women, shouldnt it be impossible to fail the Bechdel test?

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: We should be asking you that. Wonder Woman is a warrior and her book includes no fights. Where is the logic in that?

Do I read comics for the fights? No, but if I wanted to read something that doesn't include fights then I can just go to my local library and get it for free.

Who wants to see Wonder Woman and her mistresses sitting around having pajama and tea parties? You can count me out!

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With Yanick Paquette on art I can just look at the pretty pictures.

leakywigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All-Star Superman didn't really showcase any fights and that was awesome.

Yeah but it was still an action adventure. It doesn´t have to be centred around fighting, but this is the Earth One series, no fights, no sales, no business. WW marks will get the book and they will defend it till the end of day, and WW detractors will use this book as yet another example as to why wonder woman is boring, how she doesn´t have any good villains, how her origin sucks. Diana has had quite enough exploring, time to explore her world and her other characters.

All I can hope is that her exploration of mans world is a really, really good story.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW did nothing but fight for 5 years. I'm fine with a story dealing with something else...

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I mean he seems like he has a better grasp on ww from these bullet points than Azz did from 35 issues lol.

That's not to say I don't take issue with some of what Morrison is saying

leakywigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:

WW did nothing but fight for 5 years. I'm fine with a story dealing with something else...

That´s really not the point is it? She didn´t need to fight the whole comic or resolve the conflict with fighting, the point is she needed her Earth One comic to sell, to show that a well crafted ww story would sell, and that it isn´t just WW, buit the way she´s been written that fails her. People want action. We´re are sold already, so there´s no problem there. It´s about selling to people who aren´t ww fans.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Listening to what people want ruined WW in the first place. I say: let the artist do his art, as long as he conforms to what the character should be.

WW will never sell well. She will struggle as always...

PS - I wouldn't have minded some action too. Years have passed until the last good WW fight...

leakywigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:

Listening to what people want ruined WW in the first place. I say: let the artist do his art, as long as he conforms to what the character should be.

PS - I wouldn't have minded some action too. Years have passed until the last good WW fight...

WW could sell well if they sorted out her story. She has sold well before. When New 52 started, her comic did very well. People were interested until about the 4th issue, where there was a dip.

I´m not saying this take doesn´t sound interesting and I appreciate him taking Marston´s philosophy seriously and exploring it, but this could have been a complimentary piece to WW Earth One. Earth One comics have been very good adventure stories. That is what people expect from the line and this is going to hurt the sales of the comic. And instead of blaming the stupid idea of not having it an action adventure they are going to blame ww instead.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Archizooom

To me this vaguely sounds like he took a simpler approach because she's a woman and women are emotionally-driven beings who gravitate towards art and social sciences due to lack of logical-mathematical intelligence. And I have a sneaking suspicion that Wonder Woman will achieve niente other than persuading and auditorium full of amazons with another flower-power speech about the virtues of men's world

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:

WW could sell well if they sorted out her story. She has sold well before. When New 52 started, her comic did very well. People were interested until about the 4th issue, where there was a dip.

I´m not saying this take doesn´t sound interesting and I appreciate him taking Marston´s philosophy seriously and exploring it, but this could have been a complimentary piece to WW Earth One. Earth One comics have been very good adventure stories. That is what people expect from the line and this is going to hurt the sales of the comic. And instead of blaming the stupid idea of not having it an action adventure they are going to blame ww instead.

I understand your point, but let me show what I believe will happen, action adventure or not.

Option A - WWEO is good: people praise Morrison.

Option B - WWEO is not so good: people blame WW.

Yes, WW could sell, but she won't. Sales will show occasional peaks, but that's all. Sad but true.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By Veshark

I'm actually pretty hyped for this now.

It's obvious that Morrison has a lot to say about Wonder Woman - if you've ever listened to his interviews with Kevin Smith, he clearly has a very distinct vision or how Diana should be written. Judging off the strength of his stories for the other two-thirds of the Trinity, I have faith that he's gonna deliver the goods here. And again, it's Morrison. Even if it's arse, you can't really say that his work is boring.

I don't know why folks are throwing fits about there being 'no fights' either. While unorthodox for a superhero comic certainly, a good story isn't entirely dependent on battles. He's clearly trying to push the boundaries - maybe Morrison has a larger point to make here. At the very least the comic deserves a fair shake before any premature outright declarations of "It sucks".

Also, thank Hera he's ditching the sword-shield thing, I've always thought it was a ridiculous look for WW. I want a larger-than-life superheroine like Diana to use a magic lasso, not to look like Russell Crowe. The New-52's combative Diana herself stands in pretty stark contrast to my preferred portrayal of Wonder Woman as a nuanced ambassador and humanitarian.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

Sounds like Neil Gaiman's approach to Sandman. I might still give it a shot.

leakywigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:
@leakywigs said:
@hawk80 said:

I understand your point, but let me show what I believe will happen, action adventure or not.

Option A - WWEO is good: people praise Morrison.

Option B - WWEO is not so good: people blame WW.

Yes, WW could sell, but she won't. Sales will show occasional peaks, but that's all. Sad but true.

WW might not sell, but the Earth One title will. Just like New 52 was the reason behind the rise in WW sales in the first few weeks.

When Perrez and Rucka rebooted wonder woman, reviews were good and sales remained good, because the people who initially picked up the book were happy. Same with sales on WW animated feature, sales were poor at first, but word of mouth spread leading it to becoming one of their highest grossing titles to date. This is a whole egg before the chicken argument. Does WW sell bad because of the state of her comics, or are the state of her comics the result of WW selling bad i.e. writers are lazier on WW because they don´t know her story the way they know Batman and Superman, because of their popularity. I personally think both camps are wrong. WW sells badly because there is no Wonder Woman. Every arch you go to she´s a different character.

So if someone falls in love with one particular WW story, by the time a next writer comes on that WW has all but vanished and they are forced to get used to a wonder woman they are not so fond of. Every writer therefore comes on to her book with the idea they have to figure out who this schizophrenic character is: culminating in comics runs titled "who is Wonder Woman?".

Here´s the truth, no superhero sells comics, and an action hero protagonist is simply a composite of the world they inhabit and the obstacles they face within it. Most of their characteristics are negative, because mostly what they do is react. My point is, it isn´t heroes that sell books, movies, or comics but rather the obstacles they face, the villains, the disasters, the case they are investigating. Look at Hunger Games, why is a female action hero making so much money, when others haven´t? Because the world she inhabits is compelling. Far more compelling than her as a character herself. Wonder Woman needs compelling supervillains, because they sell books. Batman doesn´t sell books, Joker does. Compare sales of Batman books or graphic novels with Joker in it compared to ones with out.

In comics the challenge that readers most enjoy the hero to face, is supervillains. They specifically like Supervillains, who endure and have multiple versions written of them.

Since Earth One is a popular title, it will sell regardless of whomever the hero is, they write an earth one book about. This was a perfect opportunity to showcase wonder woman´s world, to people who otherwise would never have given her a chance. That opportunity clearly has been squandered and once again, we are focusing squarely on the question "Who is Wonder Woman?" What writers don´t understand is that question is answered most succintly, compellingly and eloquently by her villains and the world she inhabits. In the Superhero genre, this has always been the case. Batman as a character is almost completely defined by Gotham City, the police department who are his main allies in his one man war against crime, and the obsession and insanity of the supervillains who test him. Take away all that and Batman is a rather boring and vapid character. Superman is defined by Metropolis, the great city of the future, by the corruption of it´s wealthy Machevellian laviathen Lex Luthor, his collegues at The daily Planet, the worlds most important newspaper and by the Supervillains from the heavens above who have been corrupted by their power, unlike Superman. In Supermans case Clark Kent is a far more compelling character, to root for than the big blue boyscout. So take Superman´s world away from him and what is he? The Man Of Steel movie answered that question for us, a very uninteresting, and rather detestable character. If anything, considering how lacking the elements have been in Wonder Woman´s story, it is quite remarkable her sales have remained as high as they are. She has not one compelling villain that trully defines her mission, she has NO supporting cast whatsoever (apart from maybe Steve Trevor and Hippolyta), no world, no job, no focus, no nothing. How can people like her, she´s at best a vapìd and vague projection of what writers believe female strength is, mixed with traces of adolescent boy sex fantasies and at worst a sollipsistic cypher endlessly trying to gain form, before being smashed to bits all over again; no popular comic character to my recollection has been deconstructed, dismantled and violated with quite so much gusto over the years as wonder woman.

This comes to my point when people focus too much of a story on the hero, what we come to realise, is the hero is not all that interesting, and then we start to believe that our hero needs changing, but it´s never the hero, it almost always their world that is the problem, because until you give the hero a complete world, we will never be able to define them. Without an obstacle to face that will help define them, a hero´s soul is ripped out from their chest; they need a compelling ying to their yang, or a devastated world they must somehow survive, or a love interest they must acquire despite the heavy obstacles put in the way of blocking them from realising their love.

My point to all this is, Wonder Woman would be better off if people stopped focusing on "her" and started focusing on her world. She´s fine, or she wouldn´t have endured. She´s majorly iconic and the little people know of her they like. But until DC gives her that villain that captures the imagination of the readers, she will always fail to reach her potential. She needs that villain is who when plasted across the cover of her comics, readers recognise and know okay some cool shit is going down. WW Earth One, as a brand, could have sold the world that villain. Just like hopefully her movie will.

Build her world and make it present her with obstacles that will interest comic readers, like great villains, enduring love interests, a colorful cast of supporting players who also have issues, then people will get invested in the character because they are invested in the world. Will she ever sell more than Batman. Probably not. But that is because 75 years, she´s been treated like a secondary citzen in her own universe by DC comics, compared to the big two, but she could sell a hell of a lot more than she is selling now, if they stop reinventing her and her world every single time a new writer comes on. Take what has worked in past and with other popular superheroes and streamline her mythos, so it becomes one identifiable and compelling story.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds super dull

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know very well what she needs as a character and what she doesn't need to be a first class citizen of the DC universe (not that I like her to be part of the current DC universe). I simply can't see it happening.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much what I was going to say. No fights doesn't mean there's no tension or action and Morrison knows how to pull it off.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, the Bechdel test? Surely, Morrison must be aware of how flawed that concept is.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By HolySerpent

Pass

leakywigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By leakywigs

@maccyd said:
@justthatkid said:

Pretty much what I was going to say. No fights doesn't mean there's no tension or action and Morrison knows how to pull it off.

Superman is Superman. Arguably the most popular superhero on the planet. You can do a comic like that with him. Wonder Woman just doesn´t have it like that yet.-

Look now that - dcCC: The Flash and Aquaman getting Earth One graphic novels

And thansk to Morrison ww will be the lowest ratings.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: We should be asking you that. Wonder Woman is a warrior and her book includes no fights. Where is the logic in that?

Do I read comics for the fights? No, but if I wanted to read something that doesn't include fights then I can just go to my local library and get it for free.

Who wants to see Wonder Woman and her mistresses sitting around having pajama and tea parties? You can count me out!

So what? Batman is supposed to be the best fighter on the planet, and so many of his best stories have no fighting at all or almost none. My favorite Batman story, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?, is largely just people delivering eulogies at Batman's funeral. And it's great! There are so many of the best superhero stories ever told that have no or almost no fighting and don't even feature encounters with villains at all. Silver Surfer: Requiem, Unstable Molecules, The Death of Captain Marvel, Superman: Secret Identity and so many more, all in a medium that revolves around combat. There are several iconic stories from Batman, Superman and an assortment of other heroes that could be readily listed out. There is not one single iconic Wonder Woman story that could be held in the same regard. Not one, in 75 years. Now you have one of the best writers in the business given virtually free rein to tell whatever Wonder Woman story he wants, and you're not even going to try it out because there's no fighting?

This book sounds like exactly what I've wanted for a long time, because most writers over the last decade and more have portrayed the Amazons as just stupid savages or gullible twits or both, and nobody bothers fleshing out Themysciran society and advancement. Yeah, I want to see how Themyscira's art and science and culture have developed over the last 7000 years, and I'll gladly forego Wonder Woman beating up psychic midgets for that. If villains have to be involved, it should just be Wonder Woman beating up her fans for a hundred pages.