Doesn't Make Sense: Wonder Woman

MidnightKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know that in the world of comic book things don't always stay the same and things fluctuate. But these are some things that, to me don't make sense even in their own world.

Wonder Woman: We see Wonder Woman slapping around gods in her book but how? Wonder Woman was basically granted her powers by the gods (when shes not a half god or New52/DCYou God of War) Couldn't they just take her powers from her? Even as a half god she still shouldn't be able to slap around full gods like Ares. I can't imagine the gods granting her powers equal to theirs. And if Diana and the other amazons worship these gods as their supreme being then why doesn't she try to stop what they are doing? Even if they killed half a country, wouldn't that be considered divine punishment because of her beliefs?

Please feel free to add something that don't make sense to you.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Archizooom

She doesn't fight the ones that gave her powers and the Gods have powers beyond the ones they impart to Wonder Woman. They could take away her powers, but they don't because Wonder Woman does their bidding, she's their Champion.

MidnightKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: She fights Ares all the time. Ares should be able to incinerate her

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Greek myths had Heracles outfighting and outwitting the gods on a regualr basis. Other heroes have fought the gods and won (see Superman vs Apollo or Hulk vs Thor).

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They way I always saw it was that the way in which she was given the powers they couldn't just be taken away from the. The powers are an inseparable part of her, and nothing short of killing her is going to change that. Also from what I saw she wasn't really an equal in power to the gods. She was equal to the demi gods, but she could only take on one of the Olympians with a good deal of plot armor.

MidnightKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MidnightKnight

@agent_z: I can see Superman or Hulk doing it. They weren't granted their powers by the gods. If I give you powers, Im not going to let you slap me or my family around with them

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@midnightknight: It only doesn't make sense if you think the Olympian Gods were omnipotent, because you need to remember just how many of them are demigods like Diana is now for example.:

-Heracles, like Diana born of Zeus with a mortal mother, stronger than any other god or titan

-Apollo/Artemis; both gods yet both born as demigods.

On top of this, you might consider that if the Gods and mortal system was totally rigid, Zeus and the others wouldn't have been able to beat the Titans, and the Titans wouldn't have been able to beat off Uranos either.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By dernman

@outside_85 said:

@midnightknight:

On top of this, you might consider that if the Gods and mortal system was totally rigid, Zeus and the others wouldn't have been able to beat the Titans, and the Titans wouldn't have been able to beat off Uranos either.

Let me pre apologize for what I'm about too do but I just couldn't resist.

How do you know the titans beat hisanos? Was it because they beat uranos?

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know that in the world of comic book things don't always stay the same and things fluctuate. But these are some things that, to me don't make sense even in their own world.

Wonder Woman: We see Wonder Woman slapping around gods in her book but how? Wonder Woman was basically granted her powers by the gods (when shes not a half god or New52/DCYou God of War) Couldn't they just take her powers from her? Even as a half god she still shouldn't be able to slap around full gods like Ares. I can't imagine the gods granting her powers equal to theirs. And if Diana and the other amazons worship these gods as their supreme being then why doesn't she try to stop what they are doing? Even if they killed half a country, wouldn't that be considered divine punishment because of her beliefs?

Also consider that she was granted powers from several gods for specific reasons. There is no reason to believe that any one of them (or even all of them together) could strip her of these abilities. Something of a gestalt-type thing where once the sum of the parts gathered as a whole it became more powerful.

As for why she fights her deities that's somewhat self-explanatory, the Amazon's aren't fanatics that see no wrong in what these entities do. Unlike Christian and other monotheist religions the Greek/Amazon religion has many gods with a spectrum of "good and evil" aspects. Diana actually knows that Ares is evil and therefore can oppose him when he decides to kill millions. Even gods that are traditionally "good" were known to be petty and vindictive and many heroes of ancient Greece battled with them.

MidnightKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl:

Also consider that she was granted powers from several gods for specific reasons. There is no reason to believe that any one of them (or even all of them together) could strip her of these abilities. Something of a gestalt-type thing where once the sum of the parts gathered as a whole it became more powerful.

It's reasonable to believe that a All Father would be more powerful then any of the other gods and be able to negate or undo anything that they've done. It's also reasonable to believe that the gods that gave her specific powers would be able to take at least those specific powers away. It's also reason to believe that they would not grant her powers greater then and a combination of powers greater then their own in case she turned against them.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@midnightknight: During Perez's run, IIRC, Hermés flat out told Wonder Woman they could strip her off her powers if they wanted to. And I believe they mention that again in Rucka's run

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@midnightknight: The Olympians aren't always the brightest bunch. These guys were mostly known for fighting and screwing.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@dernman said:
@outside_85 said:

@midnightknight:

At that point in time Uranos and Gaea were sort of the only sides to look to. The Titans took their mothers side, Chronos chopped off Uranos' family tool and threw it in the sea (giving birth to Aphrodite (foam/semen) and the Furies (blood)) and pretty much set themselves up as the definitive rulers of all... until Zeus showed up. So yeah, I think the Titans established the order of things.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@dernman said:
@outside_85 said:

@midnightknight:

At that point in time Uranos and Gaea were sort of the only sides to look to. The Titans took their mothers side, Chronos chopped off Uranos' family tool and threw it in the sea (giving birth to Aphrodite (foam/semen) and the Furies (blood)) and pretty much set themselves up as the definitive rulers of all... until Zeus showed up. So yeah, I think the Titans established the order of things.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl:

It's reasonable to believe that a All Father would be more powerful then any of the other gods and be able to negate or undo anything that they've done. It's also reasonable to believe that the gods that gave her specific powers would be able to take at least those specific powers away. It's also reason to believe that they would not grant her powers greater then and a combination of powers greater then their own in case she turned against them.

There is also reasonable doubt that the other Olympians would also be unable to remove the gifts they granted ... Zeus both granted and removed Divinity from her but never depowered her so it's unclear if he actually could take away her collective gifts or simply chose not to.

Circe was able to steal her powers, but they transferred as an entire set and were regained as an entire set as well, which implies (if not proves) that they are not individual powers so much as a collective set of powers.

MidnightKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: I think its more reasonable to believe The good lords giveth, and the good lords can taketh away.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: I think its more reasonable to believe The good lords giveth, and the good lords can taketh away.

Not really. As I said, it's not an unreasonable assumption, but it's not unreasonable to think that they could not. Especially given events like Diana pledging her faith to other gods and not being depowered for her apostasy, instead Zeus killed the other god.

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well you have to FIRST realize is that this New 52 incarnation of WW, she wasn't granted powers by the gods, she INHERITED them from Zeus (her father).

Her being able to fight gods goes back to the original Golden Age incarnation when she'd have fist fights with Ares.

The gods in WW's world arent so much supreme beings as they are simply everlasting spirits that can't be killed, but can be manhandled.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@midnightknight: originally she wasnt granted power this way but also in greek myth gods cant undo the work of other gods and none of the gods have ever had reason to take her power away

MidnightKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: I could see the greeks not being able to take her powers if she pledged herself to other gods. Either because she was now under their protection or she retained the same powerset, just granted by these new gods

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CSG_CL

@csg_cl: I could see the greeks not being able to take her powers if she pledged herself to other gods. Either because she was now under their protection or she retained the same powerset, just granted by these new gods

Given that Zeus proved to be VASTLY more powerful than the king of the gods Diana pledged to it seems highly unlikely that their protection could have stopped Zeus or any Olympian from taking her power if they could.

Personally I of the blessings as something that cannot truly be taken away as they are an intrinsic part of her as part of her creation. But this argument has always been my problem with this version of WW ... I've always prefered the Golden Age Amazonian Training and mental discipline origin.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to add that if Zeus decides one day to remove (let's say) Superman's powers, he would easily succeed. WW, given the divine nature of the blessings, would be more difficult to depower (in comparison).

Same could be said if she is powered by training or powered by divine sperm.

Are we really discussing a thing like "the need to be immune to the gods"?

A god cannot depower someone when one or more other gods are not ok with it. Period. Here's the value of the patron deities in a hero VS gods kind of story that makes sense.