gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
Click To Unmute

Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?

Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
This video has an invalid file format.
00:00:00
Sorry, but you can't access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to Comic Vine's
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

First! booyah! I really think WW should get a movie, or at least an animated show.

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

Doesn't explain much than we already know but with Bats vs Sups hopefully Gal Gadot will do at least a decent job playing the role.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By feedonatreefrog

Pff. "Importance."

WB is a business. They'll do whatever makes the best business sense for them.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Pff. "Importance."

WB is a business. They'll do whatever makes the best business sense for them.

So is Marvel/Disney through and through.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By feedonatreefrog

@lyrafay: Yes, and what works for one does not necessarily work for the other.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

comkid100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By comkid100

wasn't the 2009 animated wonder woman movie the 4th highest grossing DC animated movie?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

DC should start out small with WW, like with another animated film or show and video game.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Crimsonlord53

Doesn't explain much than we already know but with Bats vs Sups hopefully Gal Gadot will do at least a decent job playing the role.

Crossed fingers on gadot as WW.

G man that voice sounds nothing like the one I used typing that reply.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

We need either of the two because she's WONDER WOMAN! End of story!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

The Wonder Woman animated movie did fine, it sold the same amount as Under the Red Hood.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wasn't the 2009 animated wonder woman movie the 4th highest grossing DC animated movie?

At the time it didn't sell very well. Now, after six years, it has sold a decent amount but it was very low-selling whenever it first premiered.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArchiZoom

Personally I wouldn't have watched the Wonder Woman show with Adrianne Palicki wearing the "sacrificed skin of 100 birthday balloons". People equate Wonder Woman with pretty blue-eyed brunette with a nice pair of tits, when it comes to female superheroes, it's always all about their looks. Our Patriarchal society holds a very reductive and androcentric notion of a strong female in that any woman who can open a jar of gherkins by herself without breaking a fingernail is seen as strong whereas an actual strong woman is seen as a beast and a freak of nature.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rather have no wonder woman show than a Wonder Woman show done by a bunch of clueless men

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ravisher

i rented wonder woman

good movie

_Era_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The place they dropped the ball on that show (not counting the cheese of it) Was they didn't focus on the character they focused on the gimmick of her. Woman with super strength and a bangin body. I'm a guy and even I'll tell you that I want more out of a character

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jdhaddad1973

the WW animated feature is number 7 on the list of highest grossing DCAU films since 2007. But it seems it had a slow build on sales which lead to some "unofficial" rules about releasing female lead animated features for the last several years.

According to Forbes

"The sad irony is that the film initially undersold compared to its Superman/Batman brethren, resulting in an unofficial edict that the DCAU DVD series not feature any more female-centric titles. So when we got an adaption of Jeph Loeb’s Superman/Batman: Supergirl in 2011, it was called Superman/Batman: Apocalypse with nary a hint of Supergirl in the marketing. It was not one of their better films (Andre Braugher was oddly miscast as Darkseid), but the effort was appreciated. Despite assurances to the contrary, this animated feature is probably the closest thing we’re going to get to a Wonder Woman movie for awhile."

Here are the current top ten grossing DCAU films

TitleRelease dateDirector(s)GrossRef.
Superman/Batman: Public EnemiesSeptember 29, 2009Sam Liu$10,297,933[85]
Superman: DoomsdaySeptember 18, 2007Bruce Timm / Lauren Montgomery / Brandon Vietti$9,555,740[80]
Batman: Gotham KnightJuly 8, 2008Toshi Hiruma / Bruce Timm$8,141,823[82]
Green Lantern: First FlightJuly 28, 2009Lauren Montgomery$8,104,391[84]
Superman/Batman: ApocalypseSeptember 28, 2010Lauren Montgomery$7,874,726[88]
Justice League: Crisis on Two EarthsFebruary 23, 2010Sam Liu / Lauren Montgomery$7,858,732[86]
Wonder WomanMarch 3, 2009Lauren Montgomery$7,558,542[83]
Batman: Under the Red HoodJuly 27, 2010Brandon Vietti$7,126,220[87]
All-Star SupermanFebruary 22, 2011Sam Liu$7,039,129[90]
Justice League: DoomFebruary 28, 2012Lauren Montgomery$6,510,772[93]
dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Thank you for reminding me of that awful Adrienne Palicki costume!

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ArchiZoom

@jdhaddad1973: The irony is that Superman/Batman: Public Enemies was, out of the ones I watched, by far the worst

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Wonder Woman isn't working because they keep trying to frickin change her so much. The show tried to make her a lawyer I think or something like that. What was wrong with being the ambassador of peace like she was for over a decade. The costume looked good even with the pants.

Casting, Characterization and costume are WW's big three things they need to get right. It's not that hard. Read. Read her books DC. Read them.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Jim Lee wrote a pretty good analysis of this topic for the TPB that collected Odyssey. To sum it up, Wonder Woman is a fun hero and a well liked one, only she has a problem being cool, and not for a good reason. Imagine if your grandfather or grandmother wanted to tell you a story about war - he was a paratrooper that never saw combat and she was in a field hospital ... most people would be compelled to listen to their grandfather because his action was more thrilling or entertaining, even if she had been through much more and seen more real action. It is this problem which is at the heart of the problem that WW has. Most people want the grittiness of Batman, Wolverine or even Nick Fury while kind of laughing at WW, even when her stories are often better than the others.

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdhaddad1973: what you posted was i guess money made and not actual units sold . Im trying to find the data now but with units sold it does rank like numbe 4

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herrweis said:

@jdhaddad1973: what you posted was i guess money made and not actual units sold . Im trying to find the data now but with units sold it does rank like numbe 4

you are probably correct. Either way, the DCAU film was one of the most successful done to day, beating 2/3 or more of all other DCAU films released in the last 7 years. it's unfortunate that it was a slow ramp-up and created the mentality that female super-hero films don't sell.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm tired of seeing people claiming they want a WW movie especially since they're very few who support the casting decision of Gal Gadot. I wouldn't be surprised if WB has to wait until after BvS to announce a WW movie.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdhaddad1973: The irony is that Superman/Batman: Public Enemies was, out of the ones I watched, by far the worst

the "bromance" factor in that one went way overboard

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

The fact that it's taken so long for her to even be in a movie puzzles me

Avatar image for SuperStar_sketcher
SuperStar_sketcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think introducing her into Dawn of Justice is a good idea. It will show audiences how awesome Wonder Woman is, and then they will go out and see the movie.

Avatar image for justsomerandomkid
JustSomeRandomKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope she doesn't get a video game that would be so stupid. Movie would be good but an actual game? Hell no

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think she needs a cartoon and she already had an iconic TV show

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By hyperman
Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think this was an instance where Tony missed the mark. Frankly, Wonder Woman has NO good villains. Ok, there's Ares (or sometimes Hades?) Cheetah is ok, her New52 version is a LITTLE more threatening than her pre-Flashpoint version, but she's essentially just a were-cat. The First Born is cool, but his arc is still ongoing, and he might be a hard sell to mainstream audiences. Aside from that just about every enemy she has (that I can think of) is either lame, or not exclusive to her.

It's like that clip from the Venture Bros. (around the 1:05 mark).

Loading Video...

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

@crimsonlord53: I'd cross fingers, slap my feet 3 times, sing the ol' Wonder Woman theme song as I spin around until I see stars and drop down to the floor like a falling rock smashing through glass just to hope that it will turn out great. At least we don't need to worry too much about Batffleck, as far as we know things are looking good on his part.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@fantasgasmic: What consitutes as a good villain is pretty broad, but overall, most of Diana's could be epic if they could just trancend their current C and B list status amonst writers, which hasn't manifested with the New 52.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@allstarsuperman said:

First! booyah! I really think WW should get a movie, or at least an animated show.

The Amazon Princess/Demi Goddess/Goddess of War/Goddess of Truth desserve to have it all.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jdhaddad1973

Silver Swan has some potential as a good villain for a movie if they want to stay away from mythology ... and frankly they are stepping into "been done" territory if they go with First Born/Ares/Hera/Hades etc.... if it feels derivative from Thor people won't get it. Other potential antagonists could be

Dr. Psycho .... although this may make for a less interesting feature as folks are going to want some good fights in a WW movie

Giganta

Circe ... the magic element here has potential to make things visually exciting and as a goddess-level entity she's been seen to hold her own even in a physical fight.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ignoring the fact WW is one of DC's major characters, a TVshow is NOT a good idea. As with Smallville, or Heroes, you need a big budget for a tvshow based on a powerhouse like WW. Same with Superman, or say, the GL or any corp. TV special effects are a disaster. & the costuming of the Amazon's.

TV is perfect for the regular heros. Green Arrow, a batman, etc. you dont need as much special effects. Heck, Arrow really didnt do the super-strengthed humans like Roy, Slade, etc all that well. Their wire-fu throwing around Arrow like a ragdoll still looked fake & awful as hell.

DC needs to remove Huntress & the Black Canary from Arrow, & ust spin them off onto their own show. We NEED Black Canary, Huntress in a tv show, either seperately or as the BOP.

No we do NOT need WW as a tv show. Save the big guys with super-powers for the big screen.

Jayso4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I know this will probably tick a lot of people off, but I think the reason WW fails is because of the source material. I have never read a WW story that I was like "Damn! That's good." Never. I love the character but I just don't feel that she does well by herself. This is just my opinion and you can take it however you want.

ForneverStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdhaddad1973: I've come to the conclusion years ago that the powers that be at DC just don't like her.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herrweis: I think it's more that they don't know what to do with her. The fan base is clearly vocal, but it's also relatively small (her title sells less than half of what either SM or BM do on a monthly basis). But despite that she is a hugely important character to the DC universe and they can't really ignore her without ripples throughout the entire DC line.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gor724 said:

I think introducing her into Dawn of Justice is a good idea. It will show audiences how awesome Wonder Woman is, and then they will go out and see the movie.

I think it is a good way for them to do it. They can build hype for her and kinda skip the intro with her first film so that they would have a little more freedom with what to do with her. Ideally I think the best time would be right after BvS. I think the hype for her specifically will have dwindled a little of the wait till after Justice League, and also as the character who I'd consider the most complex out of the group I think she deserves a more full exploration before JL. Since Aquaman is probably getting a cameo in BvS too bring him into her movie as well. Maybe Ares is trying to start a war between the Amazons and the Atlantians.

Her movie would also build up the DC universe the most with showing the more mythical side of things. I thin using the Greek gods in her film would also be a good way to open things up for the New Gods to show up in JL so that Darkseid could be the main villain.

@herrweis: I think it's more that they don't know what to do with her. The fan base is clearly vocal, but it's also relatively small (her title sells less than half of what either SM or BM do on a monthly basis). But despite that she is a hugely important character to the DC universe and they can't really ignore her without ripples throughout the entire DC line.

That's essentially the trouble with Wonder Woman. She's so iconic that there isn't really any room for error, but at the same time she isn't so popular that the movie would be a guaranteed success. Plus the pressure that gets put on it for the future of all female superhero movies.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

very true ... WW is difficult ... the fans will never be 100% happy with any movie version that goes out though so I'm sort of in the camp of "screw what the established fanbase wants and make a movie that will put butts in seats" ... ultimately if they stay true to the character's heart and power I'll learn to live with it ... but if the nerf her or make her a man hater it won't feel like WW ... In cinematic universe I'm all for new concepts for storylines or heavily interpreted storylines, look at X-men First Class ... I don't see that it hurt the characters to make Mystique and Charles "adopted siblings" or clearly making Havok no longer Scott's little brother, or ditch Rachel Summers and give the time travel ability to Kitty. Thor isn't even really a god in the cinematic universe, just a really powerful alien (which I really hate btw), yet that played well to everyone because he is the same character.

They could easily take the daughter of Zeus and the Amazon Queen origin, to keep it easy to explain both her powers and her purpose, have her head over to the USA to stop some random threat from the underworld, meet Steve Trevor upon arrival, then maybe have to face the Cheetah who is a hybrid of Barbara and Priscilla who made a deal with Ares to gain power and wrap it up with a "boss fight" with Ares and/or an army of his minions ... doesn't really matter for the big screen as long as the action is good, the fight scenes are bad@ss and the romantic connection between WW and ST exists ... hell they could even go down the path of "Agent Prince" and her partner Steve Trevor so we can see a bunch of covert fight scenes ala Cap and Widow with ST trying to figure out who WW really is ... tons of options that stay within the character, but allow for the studio to stick to formulas that work with audiences.

Realistically, if we want to see more of her on the big screen her first movie will need to be a hit. They may need to take some liberties to give the movie mass appeal. Unfortunately she doesn't have the same level of iconic stories or supporting cast that BM and SM have so it will be a more difficult job for the studio to get a script in place. It's not like millions of people are hoping to see a movie version of "WW v. Silver Swan".

@gor724 said:

I think it is a good way for them to do it. They can build hype for her and kinda skip the intro with her first film so that they would have a little more freedom with what to do with her. Ideally I think the best time would be right after BvS. I think the hype for her specifically will have dwindled a little of the wait till after Justice League, and also as the character who I'd consider the most complex out of the group I think she deserves a more full exploration before JL. Since Aquaman is probably getting a cameo in BvS too bring him into her movie as well. Maybe Ares is trying to start a war between the Amazons and the Atlantians.

Her movie would also build up the DC universe the most with showing the more mythical side of things. I thin using the Greek gods in her film would also be a good way to open things up for the New Gods to show up in JL so that Darkseid could be the main villain.

@jdhaddad1973 said:

That's essentially the trouble with Wonder Woman. She's so iconic that there isn't really any room for error, but at the same time she isn't so popular that the movie would be a guaranteed success. Plus the pressure that gets put on it for the future of all female superhero movies.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdhaddad1973: I think for the explanation from why she leaves the island will be a little more linked to Man of Steel. Maybe the World Machine knocked out what ever was keeping the island. Steve Trevor would probably still be involved in some way. Since she's going to be in Batman v Superman first I'd expect they wouldn't make her solo movie an origin story, but maybe still cover it in flashbacks. Also I'd stick with the clay origin. I think it would be kinda messed up if they went with the origin the comics only started experimenting with a couple years ago in favor of the one that existed for about 75 years before that. They should do something much more streamlined then the Perez origin, but it wouldn't be any more complex then introducing the clay origin the the general audience then sweeping it away as a hoax.

For the villain Ares is still the obvious villain choice but since Diana will be in BvS first that means he wouldn't show up till later. Ares would probably try and start a war because that's just what he does. It could be setting off a chain of events for a normal WW3 scenario. That could explain away Batman and Superman's involvement since they normally don't like getting mixed up in politics. That would give the whole thing political thriller or spy movie feel which might be good.

I'd rather see the more of an epic high adventure type of story though. Since it would still involve starting a war I think there are a few options they have. First would be Ares just raises some kind of demon army and tries to mess everyone up. They would be kinda like the animated film but I don't really like that option. First off that would logically catch the attention of Batman and Superman too and I don't think either of them should show up in her movie. Second I think Ares would be more devious if he tired to start wars between other people rather that participating in them himself. That would make more sense too if his goal was to feed off the psychic energy.

Another options would be to use the Amazons and Atlantias. The both have connections to Greek mythology so it could be explained that he would get more psychic energy from them. The story would start when she first returned to Themycira. It would be implied that the war would consume the entire planet but Wonder Woman would have to stop it before that happened, and the fight would never quite reach the main land so that Batman and Superman would never have to get involved. She would have a sweet fight with Aquaman but the two would end up allies in the end. Wonder Woman goes to take on Ares one on one while Aquaman is busy getting his troops to stand down.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria: the clay origin came about in 1987 so I assume you meant 25 years not 75 years ... But I think it's too convoluted to explain in a 2 hour film aimed at mass audiences. Amazonian training could work, but honestly mass audiences already understand the concept of a demigod so it feels like the best way to explain her powers quickly and gives time to show some flashbacks of Amazon training honing those powers to perfection. I'd much rather see her learning to fight and mentally train than spend 30 minutes explaining the whole clay concept.

Atlantis tie in has potential, but I want a WW movie not a team up with Aquaman ... Depending on the order of release of the films it may be a moot point anyway. Ideally the solo film will come prior to JL film, but I won't be surprised to see it as a follow up to JL since they still haven't made any official announcements beyond Gal Gadot being contracted for 3 films as WW.

I can also see them wanting a female villain for the solo film ... Nothing draws butts in seats like a sexy girl fight ... But it would be cool to include Cheetah since she is arguably the most well known WW villain and if done well could be AWESOME ... Of course she may not be epic enough to be the main antagonist ... I hope they stay away from Circe though, kind of feel like she'll just be a girl Loki and the whole thing risks feeling like a Girl Thor movie. OYE ... It stresses me out to think how easy it could be for them to really blow a solo film.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Muffin_Sangria
No Caption Provided

http://www.comicvine.com/wonder-woman-1-the-origin-of-wonder-woman/4000-108764/

@jdhaddad1973: No the clay origin was created in the golden age. He never actual used the word "clay" though so I suppose it's possible Marston had originally intended for Diana to be made from irovy. Nubia was made from black clay instead to the white clay used to make Diana so I know it was confirmed to be clay by then though.

Also the animated film did a pretty good job of explaining the clay origin. It isn't any more hard to explain the the demi god one.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jdhaddad1973

Thought you were referencing the Perez specific origin ... thus my reference to 1987 ... I guess I don't think of this as the "clay origin" because Perez story made it so central to the character from the first pages of his run. But I stand corrected on the 75 years :)

I still don't think it's a good cinematic origin though. The animated film was basically made for the existing fanbase and did a pretty good job across the board (it's one of my favorite DCAU films). Honestly they could pretty much lift that script and make a live action film version with little problem IMO. There are elements they would need to tweak for live action and Diana was not as powerful as she should be in that adaptation, she couldn't even fly and was maybe as strong as Spiderman, but I did like the way she reacted to man's world quite a bit ... her whole speech about how they told women they were too weak and women used that very weakness to manipulate men etc ... hit just the right tone of disgust in another culture without becoming full-on MAN HATER.

I still believe the demigod origin will play better for film and for audiences unfamiliar with WW and cuts unnecessary backstory out so they can focus on the main film (I'm talking about DoJ and JL here). There is a big difference between making a film for the fans and making a film to hit mass audiences. Green Lantern is a good example of a film that attempted too much and it failed horribly on pretty much every level. Compare that to what Marvel has been doing and you can see that unless the solo film somehow manages to hit first we're probably going to have to work with a very abbreviated origin in DoJ and JL ... since it's most likely WW will be a post-JL movie they can probably explore a more flushed out origin story for her, but it runs the risk of being a slow start to a 3rd installment type of film.

No Caption Provided

http://www.comicvine.com/wonder-woman-1-the-origin-of-wonder-woman/4000-108764/

@jdhaddad1973: No the clay origin was created in the golden age. He never actual used the word "clay" though so I suppose it's possible Marston had originally intended for Diana to be made from irovy. Nubia was made from black clay instead to the white clay used to make Diana so I know it was confirmed to be clay by then though.

Also the animated film did a pretty good job of explaining the clay origin. It isn't any more hard to explain the the demi god one.