Best Battles in Comics: Wonder Woman vs. Superman (WONDER WOMAN #219)

• 116 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Wonder Woman's had a good run as our Character of the Month. She's been dominating in the Battle of the Week, we talked about some of her best covers, explained why she deserves a video game, and discussed why her movie has the potential to be awesome. Now, we're going to take a look at one of the most memorable battles she has ever had: Greg Rucka's WONDER WOMAN #219, the final chapter of Sacrifice (not taking into account aftermath issues, of course).

No Caption Provided

In this issue, Maxwell Lord has taken control of Superman's mind and makes him see something truly horrific: Wonder Woman slaughtered Lois Lane. Except Kal-El doesn't see Wonder Woman as Wonder Woman; he's fooled into thinking she's Doomsday. Knowing the threat this character poses and the terrible thing he just witnessed, Superman grabs Wonder Woman and begins to fly her straight towards the sun.

During this highly unpleasant trip through our solar system, Diana suffers some heat vision to the face and is barely able to break free. She may have avoided being tossed in the sun, but she suffers an attack that is still hugely devastating. As you can see in the following image, they appear to be not very far from the sun, yet the Kryptonian hits Diana with a strike that's so hard it knocks her all the way back to Earth. And yes, this is just the beginning of the brawl. Crazy stuff, right?

No Caption Provided

We've seen Wonder Woman in plenty of intense and challenging battles over the decades, but holding her own against a bloodlusted Superman? It's pretty tough to top that. If you're only a casual fan of the character or don't know much about her, that opening attack should really make you realize that Wonder Woman's durability is way up there. Yes, she needs to block bullets and other kinds of projectiles, but against blunt force trauma, she's a titan. She just took a strike that was meant for Doomsday and, once again, that's just the start of the fight. Love or loathe the character, it's tough not to be impressed by that feat.

That punch was absolutely devastating, yet Diana gets back up and continues the melee. Superman isn't holding back and he has no reason to do so. He thinks he's facing Doomsday and believes the creature just killed Lois, after all. Not many could stand up to such an immense obstacle, but Diana finds a way. She may not have Superman's slew of powers, but she's more skilled, has incredible reflexes, and is hardly a shabby tactician. Even after being hit with a blast of freeze breath, the heroine manages to elude Clark's sight and then takes advantage of his super hearing in an amazingly brutal way.

No Caption Provided

Just to recap, we've now had someone punched so hard that it would kill most characters and now we've had amazingly durable bracelets smash against the ears of a character who has super hearing. So yeah, Rucka really went all-out to make sure this wasn't just another cliche and totally forgettable hero vs. hero fight, didn't he? Superman not holding back is a frightening thing and the writer's doing a great job showing us the measures Wonder Woman needs to take if she wants to survive the encounter.

In spite of the savage attacks, the fight still rages on and the Rucka focuses on the Amazon using her skill to survive against Superman's sheer might. Wonder Woman admits she's barely holding back and her strikes are still huge -- at one point Kal's face violently smashes into the rough terrain. She attempts to use the lasso but Superman's too fast and she dodges more and more of his attacks, but eventually Diana's luck runs out and she suffers yet another harsh injury: a broken wrist.

No Caption Provided

What's also great is this encounter doesn't feel like it's downplaying Superman to boost Wonder Woman's formidability. The captions and choreography make it crystal clear Diana needs to be on her toes at all times and give it her all or else things are going to take a very, very dark turn for her. She's fighting for her life in an uphill struggle and it really shows. One small mistake could lead to taking yet another powerful strike -- one that could leave her defenseless against a relentless Superman. They make it perfectly clear that she needs to be focused for each and every second of this brawl now that it has become a close quarters fight.

Keep in mind, Wonder Woman has now suffered heat vision to her face, an enormous punch near the sun that sent her all the way back to Earth, and now she has a broken wrist. Yet Wonder Woman still stands, she still fights, and she still keeps a focused mind. She knows that neither one will truly win if they continue this clash, so she realizes she needs to get away from the Man of Steel and go after Maxwell Lord. But what can she do to break Lord's control over Superman's mind? Seeing as this has such a shocking ending and we're sure many of you out there haven't read it yet, we won't spoil it and strongly recommend reading it for yourself. Recapping the moment just doesn't do it justice.

No Caption Provided

It's pretty easy to understand why we chose to highlight this fight, isn't it? When it comes to characters you want to battle in the DC Universe, an enraged and no holds barred Superman probably isn't on many lists and understandably so. The guy's astonishingly formidable while holding back, so if the gloves are off? Well, that's enough to send most people running for their lives. Despite facing such a ginormous challenge, Rucka shows us why Diana has the talent, mentality, and physicals required to at least hold her own for quite some time against one of DC's most powerful heroes. It's a brutal and epic battle and really reminds us why Wonder Woman deserves your respect as a combatant. Do you also love this battle and think it's one of Wonder Woman's most memorable ones?

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

This fight was really good.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

That's some really good art, both on tho cover and within the comic itself.

ColaNicole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By ColaNicole

And yet Batman can beat these guys....lol ok

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have read this Sacrifice storyline where Wonder Woman have to kill Maxwell Lord. Ermm...sorry for those who like this story but for me it is just underwhelming. That just my opinion

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colanicole: They have to make him look useful. He always have to have plan against his team mates more than his enemies.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they just want to help his self esteem

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colanicole: lol. Are you sure about that ? Look I'm a Batman fan also but in DCU mainstream comics continuity Batman never beat Superman. In fact Superman win or it is draw. For example in New 52 start with Justice League origin, Superman kick Batman ass. Batman win in TDKR in elseworlds story

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide said:

@colanicole said:

lol :)

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I always have a weird theory that bruce doesn't have any specials but since he's such a cool and awesome guy everyone helps him secretly from the background, pretend he's the best and let it play. That time where he beats DS? someone did it with speed but batman gets all the fame.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide: lol, I love that, you earned a follow :)

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my favorite Wonder Woman battle.......

No Caption Provided
Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A thread about Wonder woman and Superman has more posts about Batman, that's how awesome he is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide said:

@captainmarvel4ever: I always have a weird theory that bruce doesn't have any specials but since he's such a cool and awesome guy everyone helps him secretly from the background, pretend he's the best and let it play. That time where he beats DS? someone did it with speed but batman gets all the fame.

They respect the fact that Batman can hang with them despite having no superpowers, and they also respect his intelligence and capabilities as well as the man himself and what he stands for. Batman is one of the few humans they don't have to guard.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: I use this theory when it comes to inconsistencies, like when he is against foes way beyond his paygrade. I separate batman into two categories, him in is 'own' book as in the street level detective that I like who has issues with the likes of Talon and Hush and that 'guy' in JLA books.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

A thread about Wonder woman and Superman has more posts about Batman, that's how awesome he is.

It seems like every DC thread becomes about Batman eventually.

No Caption Provided

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@vivide said:

Lol, that reminds me of this:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide said:

@colanicole said:

No Caption Provided

Also, I can't even remember the last time we had one of these articles.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Love this battle...but I have to support my favorite character :P

Superman was thinking he was fighting Doomsday, that may gave him bloodlust but he thought he is fighting a beast, not a fighter of Wonder Woman's caliber, with tricks up her sleeve. I just want to add that because I truly think if Superman knew he was fighting a skilled fighter, he would fight more clever.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide said:

Lol, that reminds me of this:

Loading Video...

or this.

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide said:

@farkam: I use this theory when it comes to inconsistencies, like when he is against foes way beyond his paygrade. I separate batman into two categories, him in is 'own' book as in the street level detective that I like who has issues with the likes of Talon and Hush and that 'guy' in JLA books.

I tend to find him boring if he isn't solo. I don't mind him beating supers/metahumans in combat. It can be awesome but it's more fun for me when he has H2H fights with others talented in martial arts. Batman isn't even my favorite streetlevel character but I dislike how some people constantly feel the need to devalue him just because he is an extremely popular/bankable character or has been subject to some bad writing from time to time (like all characters have).

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam:

He's best when he's in a book with alfred, preferably the both of them.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Captain13

@farkam said:

@vivide said:

I tend to find him boring if he isn't solo. I don't mind him beating supers/metahumans in combat. It can be awesome but it's more fun for me when he has H2H fights with others talented in martial arts. Batman isn't even my favorite streetlevel character but I dislike how some people constantly feel the need to devalue him just because he is an extremely popular/bankable character or has been subject to some bad writing from time to time (like all characters have).

I don't think that's it. He just devalues all of his compatriots. When he's around he's the only one who can have good ideas, and he always has to win despite logic. At this point, he's not even the underdog in his fights anymore. I would be shocked if a powered character like Firestorm could beat him in a fight, which just devalues powered heroes like Firestorm. It also devalues the military in the comics. Batman can hold his own against Flash, but Steve Trevor or the Army can't? And why doesn't Superman go to Flash for detective information or Wonder Woman for tactical information?

I like Batman, and I don't like him being shown as useless, but he really holds other heroes back to be shown as useful.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#24  Edited By Outside_85

Superman was thinking he was fighting Doomsday, that may gave him bloodlust but he thought he is fighting a beast, not a fighter of Wonder Woman's caliber, with tricks up her sleeve. I just want to add that because I truly think if Superman knew he was fighting a skilled fighter, he would fight more clever.

Well, if you read the aftermath issues featuring Superman, you would know that Superman (telling the story to Lois) wasn't thinking very much. Infact he admits that if the fight had played out as he saw it (in the middle of Metropolis) he would have killed hundreds of bystanders with some of the moves he pulled.

Add to this he also saw Perry and Jimmy getting crushed, and the Doomsday-scenario was just the last in a series of visions where Superman ultimately fails at keeping Lois safe from Ruin, Brainiac and Darkseid (even if it was just the vision covering him beating Batman senseless).

My point is that I dont think Superman's tactic and behaviour would have changed all that much in this case, if it had been Diana who killed Lois in front of him.

Actually I have that fight lying around :)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: And yet it's consistent, even among writers who are considered good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: And yet it's consistent, even among writers who are considered good.

Even good writers can do bad.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@squalleon said:

Well, if you read the aftermath issues featuring Superman, you would know that Superman (telling the story to Lois) wasn't thinking very much. Infact he admits that if the fight had played out as he saw it (in the middle of Metropolis) he would have killed hundreds of bystanders with some of the moves he pulled.

Add to this he also saw Perry and Jimmy getting crushed, and the Doomsday-scenario was just the last in a series of visions where Superman ultimately fails at keeping Lois safe from Ruin, Brainiac and Darkseid (even if it was just the vision covering him beating Batman senseless).

My point is that I dont think Superman's tactic and behaviour would have changed all that much in this case, if it had been Diana who killed Lois in front of him.

Oh, I never disagreed that he wasn't bloodlusted or wasn't giving it his all. I just believe that if he knew he was fighting a skilled warrior he would fight more clever. The effect the battle had on him, was because he was seeing Doomsday, so he was using a mindset meant for Doomsday, you can clearly see that in your own scans. Now that may not make a huge change in the course of battle but for example I think if he knew he was fighting WW, he would be careful for example about the tiara, the lasso, the bracelets or skilled tactics.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is actually one of the times when superman beats batman and almost kills him in canon. Its kind of overlooked mostly because its revealed through a camera in JLA tower.

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was very awesome when Wonder Woman kicked Superman through a mountain. This fight really showed her worth of a heavy hitter. Regardless of what people think of her, she is still a kickass female and will continue showing why she's the best.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This proves something I've known all along. Superman will kill. Superman has fans who swear up and down Clark wouldn't kill, when he's killed Doomsday at least twice. Not to mention, tons of Parademons.

Or the whole "Superman in Justice League War wasn't Superman!"

But Clark admits in this very comic that he would have most likely placed hundreds of people in mortal danger had the fight continued.

So Clark pulling a MOS or an Injustice is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the actual times I've seen a Superman fight where it made sense how the fight happened.

This is a loss I can get behind. Not that hot poop writers write when Batman and Superman "fight."

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman blocks stuff because she's Wonder Woman. Blunt force trauma ceases to exist when you hit the ground hard enough for the very earth itself to turn into projectiles to pierce your skin at velocities much higher than those of bullets.

She blocks weapons because she's up against energy blasts and magical weapons, she doesn't need to block bullets and does so for dramatic effect, much like Superman standing and tanking bullets when he could vaporize them out of the air or catch them so they don't bounce off of his face and ricochet.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:
@squalleon said:

Oh, I never disagreed that he wasn't bloodlusted or wasn't giving it his all. I just believe that if he knew he was fighting a skilled warrior he would fight more clever. The effect the battle had on him, was because he was seeing Doomsday, so he was using a mindset meant for Doomsday, you can clearly see that in your own scans. Now that may not make a huge change in the course of battle but for example I think if he knew he was fighting WW, he would be careful for example about the tiara, the lasso, the bracelets or skilled tactics.

Superman is not trained to fight that is why he can be easily bloodlusted and fight like a brawler.

If he knew he was fighting someone skilled he still would still make plenty of mistakes because he really has one way of fighting.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was one of the most memorable parts of Rucka's Wonder Woman run. The fight against Power Girl in Simone's run was pretty good as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss Max Lord. He was a great villain.

@vivide said:

@colanicole said:

Lol, how mad are you?

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colanicole said:

This is actually one of the times when superman beats batman and almost kills him in canon. Its kind of overlooked mostly because its revealed through a camera in JLA tower.

It's overlooked because it wasn't a fight lol. Batman was working at the computers when Superman just snuck up behind him and smashed his face into the computers.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This proves something I've known all along. Superman will kill. Superman has fans who swear up and down Clark wouldn't kill, when he's killed Doomsday at least twice. Not to mention, tons of Parademons.

Or the whole "Superman in Justice League War wasn't Superman!"

But Clark admits in this very comic that he would have most likely placed hundreds of people in mortal danger had the fight continued.

So Clark pulling a MOS or an Injustice is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Exactly. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensor said:

This fight was really good.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

This fight is an incredible one. Every moment during this battle was tense from beginning to end. But that END! That end made me dislike Wonder Woman for a long time, well at least until I read Infinite Crisis. Really great comic book battle

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@micah: I don't even think it's always a bad thing. If you have someone that no prison can hold, and they are genocidal Dark God's I think it's acceptable. Lol

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By DrF8

@judasnixon: where the hell does that come from?

Oh, btw good fight. I hate the cover though

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

Even though it's mostly criticism...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Hmm, well, since he admits he was in disregard for the safety of others, I dont think he would behave all that differently, mostly because we know that Clark is going over the edge if Lois is lost. In regards to the lasso and tiara, that is actually explained as simply being Doomsday lashing out with his bony knuckles.

Granted there are inconsistencies in the fight between the two viewpoints, like why Clark stops and listens for Diana when he thinks she's Doomsday; the most unsubtle brick in comics. But like the with the weapons, what Clark sees and what he does appears to be two different cases.

But I agree that a rational Superman would be more careful about the weaponry.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Captain13
Superman vs Wonder Woman is a solid match-up. Thanks for the article!
Superman vs Wonder Woman is a solid match-up. Thanks for the article!

jeremy_pwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a big DC person I've only ever read a few Batman stories. But how in the hell can someone 1st get punched hard enough to travel from the sun to the earth I'm guessing rather quickly and then go through atmospheric re-entry. Not to mention survive the vacuum of space and lastly the impact of hitting the ground. Yet she needs special bracers to deflect bullets...Something is not adding up to me.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Vivide
Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13:

I would beshocked if a powered character like Firestorm could beat him in a fight, which just devalues powered heroes like Firestorm.

Just a curent editorial phase