k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
No Caption Provided

There's a lot of very important factors that are needed to make an addictive and memorable video game. Impressive graphics, practical controls, intelligent A.I., solid level designs; all of these are critical. However, it's brilliant gameplay and a compelling story that can really help take a game to a whole new level. After all, what's the point of jaw-dropping graphics if you're not really having fun in the artificial world? And that's the whole point of video games, isn't it? We play them because they're an entertaining and exciting escape from reality. They take our minds off whatever problems we may have going on in the real world and they offer us a chance to lose ourselves in a surreal and totally exhilarating place. So, the thought of being Wonder Woman -- a powerful and hugely skilled character -- and taking on the challenges her mythological world has to offer is pretty cool and it's definitely loaded with potential.

A Wonder Woman game really does have the chance to be like Arkham meets God of War. You have thrilling action and it's set in a place that's full of brutal fantasy elements. Yeah, that's a world many of us would love to experience, right? Wonder Woman has yet to get her own video game (she's appeared in quite a few, though), but seeing as she has a movie on the way, we're hoping she gets a boost in popularity and it'll be enough to justify the creation of her own video game. It's worth noting this entire article is written under the hope that a developer (*cough* Rocksteady *cough*) will have the time they need to produce a good game and not feel rushed to put out just another okay movie tie-in game. Yes, some of those are good, but honestly, many are pretty forgettable. Anyway, let's go ahead and talk about what could make a Wonder Woman video game awesome.

No Caption Provided

Games often begin with a tutorial sequence. Some are a fun and organic way of teaching you the basics, while others feel, well, let's just be nice and say not-so-fun and kind of dull. Diana's story has the perfect way to craft a tutorial. In George Pérez, Greg Potter and Bruce Patterson'sWONDER WOMAN #1, a tournament is held on Themyscira and the champion will venture out into the world of man to face Ares, the God of War. Right off the bat, this tells gamers about Wonder Woman's origin and then throws you right into various kinds of gameplay. Races with other Amazons will teach you about movement, there will be tests that help you master how to use Wonder Woman's equipment (aiming and throwing will help with the tiara later on), and, of course, it'll inform players how to use the combat system. It'll all be very familiar, but it's moving the story forward while teaching everyone all of the basics. It isn't dragged out and immediately throwing the player into a tournament adds more weight to the experience. It's time to learn fast or fail.

No Caption Provided

You know how the Arkham franchise made you feel like you were actually Batman? There's plenty of action-adventure games out there, but it's not every day that a game produces an exceptional and hugely satisfying combat system. Some may not know it, but Wonder Woman's more than just another powerhouse. She may not have Superman's assortment of abilities, but she's a phenomenal hand-to-hand combatant and her equipment gives her a little more variety in battle. Because of that, there's no reason why a Wonder Woman game shouldn't have immensely fun fighting mechanics. You don't want complex controls but you don't want the options to be too limited, either. Thanks to her skills as a fighter, there should be options that thrive for both button mashers and skilled players who love going for the biggest combo possible. Throw in her sheer strength and reflexes and this should make for some seriously cool hand-to-hand battles which send enemies slamming against walls and show Diana smoothly blocking one opponent and then transitions into harshly tossing another one. There's so many things that are needed for a great game, but we're going to spend the most time fighting things, so it's absolutely mandatory that the combat system gets the most love and attention. An excellent fighter deserves an excellent combat system, after all. The developer should want people to jump into this game and feel like a total badass as they play as Diana.

An impressive combat system is without question one of the most important things in a Wonder Woman game, but what about when she isn't just punching, kicking, and throwing the basic variety of enemies? What about her equipment and boss battles? Well, seeing as her equipment is relatively limited, having an easily accessible inventory selection option (e.g. the D-pad,) and a swift and fluid aim/throw system would be perfect for using the tiara as a projectile or targeting enemies with the Lasso of Truth. She could also equip a sword for more damage and a different variety of attacks and combos. As for the indestructible bracelets, certain missions could utilize quick time events to really take advantage of Diana's jaw-dropping reflexes and make the player realize just how amazing of a combatant she can be. For example, imagine having to rush an army of archers or gunmen and, as she leaps forward, you have to press buttons accordingly. Assuming you didn't mess up, she'll quickly deflect everything that comes her way as she continues to race towards the enemies. It'll definitely keep us on our toes and showcase her amazing speed.

No Caption Provided

Quick time events can also be used to make boss battles feel way more cinematic instead of always following the "dodge, stun, now attack!" formula. Diana's mythos means there's plenty of threats the game can toss her way as she goes around the globe, too. Not only can they populate the game with DC easter eggs and cameos, but they can also include a bunch of villains. Aside from someone like Ares being the big bad, they could find ways to work characters like Giganta, Decay, Cheetah, and many others bosses into the story. Each one can present new obstacles which rely on using different tactics to overcome. For example, fighting Cheetah could focus heavily on blocking and countering, and Giganta could draw some parallels to Shadow of the Colossus as you have to go through several steps to drop a towering foe.

The trickiest part of the game would be incorporating her ability to fly. If they go with an open world, this could be used to fast travel. While traveling normally, she just has impressive jumping capabilities and the levels are designed so flight isn't even needed. That said, there could also be a handful of missions based around Wonder Woman's ability to fly, so that could add a little more variety to the adventure.

Unlockables and upgrades would be easy enough to include. Upgrades could include effectiveness with her various weapons, special moves, new combos and ways to temporarily boost stats. As for unlockables, the sky's the limit. Who doesn't love being able to earn new skins, character models/figurines, and more? If they went for an open world, Themyscira could include several "stores" where you can obtain new gear and upgrades. They could also find a way to add a practice and/or challenge mode while you're on Paradise Island.

No Caption Provided

A Woman Woman video game has the chance to take the best gameplay elements from Batman and Superman's worlds and then throw it into a setting that's overflowing with fantasy. She doesn't get that much love from non-comic fans and this would give them the chance to see that she's every bit as badass as some of the other big names in comics. It would also show gamers a whole new side of the DC Universe. You'd have hours upon hours of immensely fun combat, the great feeling of being an incredibly powerful character, and the chance to run around a fascinating setting and punch a whole lot of crazy creatures in the face really, really hard. Assuming it has the right developer working on it, a Woman Woman video game would be very awesome and has the potential to become a franchise. Here's hoping it's something we'll get to eventually play.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Now this is an article I can really get behind. Although the #1 character who I think should get a video game is still Cyborg. However you would hear no complaints from me if WW gets a game.

Hats off to you Mr. Katzman

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We can't even get a Superman game, but you think a developer would take on Wonder Woman? Only Batman gets games, people.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I honestly think a Wonder Woman game would work better than a Superman game. Unlike Superman, her strength and abilities can be dialed down a bit without breaking gameplay thanks to the world she inhabits.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 k4tzm4n  Moderator

We can't even get a Superman game, but you think a developer would take on Wonder Woman? Only Batman gets games, people.

Creating a good Superman game is waaaaaaaay more challenging. Wonder Woman manages to take some of the things a Superman game could do well (strength, flight), throw in a great melee combat system, and put it all in a fantasy setting. Also, the article isn't trying to say it's likely, just why it could be awesome. A man can dream, right? If the movie gets a lot of hype, it could make this more probable. But then it's a matter of whether they want to create a great game or focus on getting something out there around the same time the movie opens. Anyway, the potential is there and I thought that was worth talking about, especially since she's our Character of the Month.

Now this is an article I can really get behind. Although the #1 character who I think should get a video game is still Cyborg. Although you would hear no complaints from me if WW gets a game.

Hats off to you Mr. Katzman

Thanks!

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman games have been made in the past and the reason we see so none today is because all those games sucked and were a commercial failure. Superman in games is either overpowered or under powered, finding a middle ground for him and appropriate enemies is nearly impossible. You talk about it as if there is some great conspiracy that keeps games from getting made.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: You wouldn't want to dial them down though, the whole draw is having all the power of Wonder Woman in a game.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly think a Wonder Woman game would work better than a Superman game. Unlike Superman, her strength and abilities can be dialed down a bit without breaking gameplay thanks to the world she inhabits.

This is pretty spot on, a Wonder Woman game wouldn't have the incredible gameplay design issues a Superman game would have. Although I still don't think we will ever see a WW game because her lack of popularity really makes it hard to pitch a developer into making one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superhero games tend to be trashy. There's too many powers to integrate into the game and still make it attractive and fresh most of the time.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theocitylegend: Meh all the more reason to make a game. Believe it or not, Arkham Asylum was actually a gamble, but it was one that paid off and pushed Batman further into the spotlight.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: You wouldn't want to dial them down though, the whole draw is having all the power of Wonder Woman in a game.

Well, you're gonna have to dial it down unless you want casual blows capable of shattering mountains. She can still have all her powers, just to a lesser degree. Power on the level she has in the comics simply won't translate well in a game. I mean, even DBZ characters are toned down in their games.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

This is pretty spot on, a Wonder Woman game wouldn't have the incredible gameplay design issues a Superman game would have. Although I still don't think we will ever see a WW game because her lack of popularity really makes it hard to pitch a developer into making one.

A Wonder Woman game would be so easy, i'm honestly confused as to why we haven't at least heard of one. Look how well God of War has done. Replace her with Kratos, throw in some DC mythology, and BOOM, Wonder Woman the game.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

@captainmarvel4ever said:

Well, you're gonna have to dial it down unless you want casual blows capable of shattering mountains. She can still have all her powers, just to a lesser degree. Power on the level she has in the comics simply won't translate well in a game. I mean, even DBZ characters are toned down in their games.

Then you just make foes as tough as mountains, just like in the comics. Again, if your going to have a Wonder WOman game, make it a Wonder Woman game.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How about an Arkham-style(ish) Justice League game where you can pick who you are or for different parts in the story you be different League members. That'd be cool. So would a Wonder Woman game. Hell, more DC games with Arkham quality!

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

make it like this i will approve

Loading Video...

lol jk even i know that too bloody for a ww game

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecomedian_: Yep.

I'd love to see a Rocksteady Justice League game

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome article! I had a very similar idea while back when Arkham Aslyum came out. I want this game more than anything right now. Well....Metal Gear Solid V is still at the top, but this is a close second!

Thanks for putting so much thought into this! You always write my favorite editorials!

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

A God of war game without kratos and the vast amount of disturbing overkill.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think a game funcional for Diana would have to be something like Tomb Raider.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

WB Games can makes excellent Shadow of Mordor video games, so the world is ready for Wonder Woman games

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By buttersdaman000

@buttersdaman000 said:

Then you just make foes as tough as mountains, just like in the comics. Again, if your going to have a Wonder WOman game, make it a Wonder Woman game.

The durability of her foes isn't the issue. Of course they have to be as tough as her. A game featuring a less powerful Wonder Woman doesn't mean it's not a Wonder Woman game. That's like saying Avengers isn't an Avenger movie because the characters are weaker. All i'm saying is Wonder Womans planet level strength, light speed movement/reactions, and planet level durability won't translate well to game where you'll most likely have to fight grunts, collect health orbs, deal with invincible walls and so forth.

That's the reason why a Superman game is so hard to make. When people play as Superman, they want to play as Superman and all that entails. You can't play as Superman, then perform a 4 hit combo on a bank robber. Luckily, that's not really the case with Wonder Woman. She doesn't have to fight humans at all and she doesn't have the same chip on her shoulder. She can be toned down a bit, and still deliver an intriguing game.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

The durability of her foes isn't the issue. Of course they have to be as tough as her. A game featuring a less powerful Wonder Woman doesn't mean it's not a Wonder Woman game. That's like saying Avengers isn't an Avenger movie because the characters are weaker. All i'm saying is Wonder Womans planet level strength, light speed movement/reactions, and planet level durability won't translate well to game where you'll most likely have to fight grunts, collect health orbs, deal with invincible walls and so forth.

That's the reason why a Superman game is so hard to make. When people play as Superman, they want to play as Superman and all that entails. You can't play as Superman, then perform a 4 hit combo on a bank robber. Luckily, that's not really the case with Wonder Woman. She doesn't have to fight humans at all and her gameplay is a lot easier to capture.

No but it defiantly takes away from the experience. Like I said, if we get a Wonder Woman game, I want it to be a Wonder Woman game. You just make the gameplay fit those mechanics.

Heck in my opinion the problem with Superman games is they either nurf him, or limit him, when the real appeal of a Superman game should be raw power, and gameplay like no other game.There was a really really good Hulk game that came out years ago, and the reason it was so good is the game let Hulk be Hulk, you actually got to fell like you were Hulk with all of his power.

Also Superman doesn't fight normal humans (seriously, when was the last time you read a comic where he fought an actual standard bank robber?).

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

There is only one true way a Wonder Woman or any other non-Batman character would get his own video game, and that is through a successful Justice League game that allows you to play as any JL member while at the same time giving each character their own identity instead of simply being Hero A, Hero B etc..

Here's an example of why this works: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. This game made a lot of many and it also brought eyes on many of the less mainstream characters while also educating players about the vast history of the Marvel U, and I believe that is this game that turned an obscure character by the name of Deadpool into arguably one of the most popular characters in marvel who eventually got his own video game. Very few actually heard of DP before MUA, I certainly didn't. Less than 10 years later, this unknown character now has his own video game and his own movie is being made. Since people have actually heard of Wonder Woman, the process will be much quicker as long as she stands out in the JL game and makes room to showcase all the stuff mentioned in the article.

They tried a JLA game for the PS2 many years ago but it wasn't good for several reason, but the main ones are, the characters didn't have their own unique personalities and it was too much of a MUA rip off. For this to work, each character needs to have separate missions, abilities and roads to take, as if to give a small taste of what each character can bring on their own.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales: I get a feeling if Wonder Woman movie is huge success in box office, we will see alot more Wonder Woman stuff in media. Just like Suicide Squad, if Suicide Squad movie is huge success....probably we will get Suicide Squad video games

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By dernman

@captainmarvel4ever:

Have Superman on Warworld fighting superpowered aliens in a contest where he has to win or Earth gets blown up and boom you got a game.

Put Superman on Apocalypse trying to escape Darksied's legions or he will be turned into a mind controlled minion and you got a game.

Put Superman in a bottled city Metropolis fighting Brainiac drones and you got a game.

Mechanics can be done and with a little imagination a good story could be done. I don't know why people say it can't.

WW would be even easier to do.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@anjales said:

There is only one true way a Wonder Woman or any other non-Batman character would get his own video game, and that is through a successful Justice League game that allows you to play as any JL member while at the same time giving each character their own identity instead of simply being Hero A, Hero B etc.

Why would you need a JL game to launch a WW game when you already have stuff like Arkham and God of War?

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: it certainly interesting idea. I will suggest if you add Lex Luthor created Doomsday and Parasite to fight Superman in the game :)

Also worth mention: it is Apokolips not Apocalypse

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love for this to happen.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

That's the reason why a Superman game is so hard to make. When people play as Superman, they want to play as Superman and all that entails. You can't play as Superman, then perform a 4 hit combo on a bank robber. Luckily, that's not really the case with Wonder Woman. She doesn't have to fight humans at all and her gameplay is a lot easier to capture.

No but it defiantly takes away from the experience. Like I said, if we get a Wonder Woman game, I want it to be a Wonder Woman game. You just make the gameplay fit those mechanics.

Heck in my opinion the problem with Superman games is they either nurf him, or limit him, when the real appeal of a Superman game should be raw power, and gameplay like no other game.There was a really really good Hulk game that came out years ago, and the reason it was so good is the game let Hulk be Hulk, you actually got to fell like you were Hulk with all of his power.

Also Superman doesn't fight normal humans (seriously, when was the last time you read a comic where he fought an actual standard bank robber?).

Hulk was nerfed in that game

I know Superman doesn't fight normal humans, but unless they give us a truly open-world game, even moreso than GTA, characters like Superman and Wonder Woman will be nerfed.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with you GK, I'd buy a Wonder Woman game so fast. Provided it was made well of course.

Just one thing...

"Quick time events can also be used"

Ignore that! He's out of his gourd! Pay no attention to the @k4tzm4n. Well, at least about this one part. The rest of it is solid. ;)

I know God of War did a decent job with the QTE stuff, but it's one example amidst hundreds of failures. While it could work, the likely scenario is they implement them poorly like the way The Force Unleashed used QTEs rather than GoW style and they distract more than enhance.

With QTEs, you just end up staring at the place where the button prompts are going to show up rather than being part of the action. They're an awful substitute for building proper AI and a fun boss fight in 99 out of 100 examples. Look at the Spider-Man games by Beenox, they do a terrible job with QTEs. Heck, look at Spider-Man 3 the movie tie in. An otherwise decent, if unremarkable game, made exponentially worse by the addition of this one gameplay trend. It never would have been Spidey's "Arkham", but they threw them in there so badly that it destroyed what joy the web-swinging and moment to moment combat could have provided.

tl:dr- QTEs are the worst. THE. WORST. Wonder Woman deserves better.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: Oh please, within the game you got to jump the length of buildings, and if you wanted to you could smash and destroy them.

I still say it's more then possible. Heck if done right that could be a fantastic selling point.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd prefer a Wonder Woman game's combat system to be more like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta and I'd rather not have the reflexes be QTEs and be more Royal Guard or God of War's golden fleece. Still, I really want a WW game to happen.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife said:

If done well.. then yes.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheComedian_
regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By regiebravo

After Arrow gets one.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

PPL who come up wit these ideas are lazy as crap. So the "grunts" of the game can't be centaurs, or in the case of Superman, robots? Things that could logically hurt them while still being the goombas of the game?

Plus, how come you never hear complaints like this for ANY DBZ ever?

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One Part God 0f War+One Part Arkham+ One Part Darksiders = Wonder Woman the Game!! Make it happen WB!

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife said:

If done well.. then yes.

Yeah just if it is good of course.

IronAngel89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By IronAngel89
FailSwitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FailSwitch

I have doubts any talented devs would develop a game strictly focused around WW. Only Batman got an awesome game and he's far, far more popular. Maybe if MOS2 establishes an awesome WW, but even then it's super unlikely for her to appear in something solo that's not entirely garbage.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any game about any non Batman "A-class JL" or "B-class Jl" member would be cool idea.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tbh that is really a.....gr8 idea!!!

Get capcom or rocksteady pronto

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

curses! you fooled me again comicvine. I saw wonder woman video game and was like "YES!" then read underneath it lol. my hopes were so high. maybe after the movie we will get one?

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

sounds very good. hopefully a developer reads this article. one of the things I liked about the justice league game from years ago was Diana's block was bullets and bracelets that let her block and reflect range attacks back to opponents, that would be awesome to be incorporated.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A God of War/Dante's Inferno/Devil May Cry Wonder Woman game is a go for me, imagine playing a game the exploring the greek mythos comic style.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

@vitalius said:

Any game about any non Batman "A-class JL" or "B-class Jl" member would be cool idea.

Yeah and after reading this article, a Wonder Woman game would be a great start

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be a darn good idea actually.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#48  Edited By amazing_webhead

The lasso, sword, and invisible jet would all make for some SWEET gameplay!

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd play it, but I can't help but fear the game designers might try to make it too much like God of War and not its own thing.

Avatar image for killerinstinct4588
killerinstinct4588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It may happen depending on well the WW movie is receive :)

*Finger cross*