Why Logan Is the R-Rated Wolverine Move We Want

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Wolverine is the best there is at what he does. This hasn't always been properly shown in the X-Men movies. For a character with a short temper and six sharp claws covered with indestructible metal, one would think he'd leave more of a bloody mess when angered. In Logan, Hugh Jackman reprises the role of Wolverine for the ninth time. It's a dark and dreary time, as seen in the first trailer. Fox has released a second trailer, showing more of the story elements we can expect.

The other X-Men movies each had a PG-13 rating. This only allows a certain amount of violence and profanity. The success of Deadpool showed there is an audience for R-rated superhero films, and Jackman took a salary cut to get the R-rating for his final Wolverine appearance. A higher amount of profanity may not be crucial but the violence is exactly what the character and story needs.

Logan won't be pushing the boundaries in the humor department like Deadpool. Instead, we'll get the tone and violence fitting for character. Set in the near future, the X-Men's world has changed. Mutants have been wiped out, for the most part. Logan is no longer in his prime. With a hint of desperation seen in the trailers, we'll get to see him unleash his fury.

In December, Fox held a 2017 Showcase for upcoming films where 43 minutes of Logan was unveiled. Jackman and Patrick Stewart almost appear to be playing different characters, due to their characters' current situations. When the violence kicks in, it fits perfectly with the vibe of the story set up. Logan's reactions and how he handles the opposition is how the character should behave. The movie also introduces Dafne Keen as X-23, who will also take advantage of the rating.

No Caption Provided

Jackman and Stewart are making their characters different from what we've seen before. Seeing Logan with the shakes and having wounds that are not healing is unexpected. Dafne Keen is fantastic as X-23. Her savage nature and agility during the fight was incredible. This is a more serious movie without costumes and villains with over-the-top performances. This is the type of movie the Wolverine deserves.

We'll have more Logan coverage as its release approaches. The movie opens in theaters on March 3.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bl00dwerK

We won't hate you, FOX, if you just make good movies. Good, R-Rated movies! Who needs the MCU?

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

im guessing there is a nude scene lol or lots of bad words

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

R-Rated doesn't mean nudity necesarrily lol.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope the movie will be great!

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

and here i thought Lara being a little kid meant she wouldn't get to kick some ass :)

(don't care for the in-universe comic books though)

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even Less interested than before. Good Job Fox

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

and here i thought Lara being a little kid meant she wouldn't get to kick some ass :)

(don't care for the in-universe comic books though)

Maybe its a stab at how for the first film actors were not allowed to read the actual comics on set?

So when Wolverine is saying it didn't happen like that. It was a "what could have been" moment? IDK.

I think Hellboy will do the inverse comic gag better.

MonThackma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Typo in your headline on the homepage. Oops.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By dngn4774

I didn't like either of Wolverine's solo movies. An R rating doesn't improve the track record of the previous films.

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't look like we'll ever get the classic yellow costume in the movies.

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titanbreaker: "the first film actors were not allowed to read the actual comics on set"

You sure you're not thinking of Fant4stic?

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Oh, and there's this^

The director said that what we've seen in the trailers might be the unrated version. I highly doubt it.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f
deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh boy Rated-R! I might see some blood and hear a curse word!

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yay... celebrating an R rating for a Marvel/DC franchise.... so great...

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I assume next trailer is when we get our first good look at Daken? Nice trailer tho.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm digging this trailer... and I don't actually like wolverine as a character much.

Avatar image for redwhiteandbluesupes
RedWhiteAndBlueSupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I'm just way over Fox's X-Men franchise, they could make like the greatest Wolverine movie ever, it'd probably just roll off my back at this point. I would go see it if only for Old Time sake but I can't seem to usher in that amount of excitement

Avatar image for redwhiteandbluesupes
RedWhiteAndBlueSupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I'm just way over Fox's X-Men franchise, they could make like the greatest Wolverine movie ever, it'd probably just roll off my back at this point. I would go see it if only for Old Time sake but I can't seem to usher in that amount of excitement

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_krown said:

Oh boy Rated-R! I might see some blood and hear a curse word!

and not have neutered action scenes.

eliottsworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sachmoo: this is supposed to be the "last trailer" and also I'm going to guess that there is no Daken because he sucks.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The R rating isn't really a big deal to me. I would see a Wolverine film whether it's rater R or not. Could be cool seeing some of his more violent fight scenes in live action, though.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

while this is basically Old man Logan, i wish they would have called it that. even though i know copyright and so the never ending battle with Fox with ownership stuff....

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no excitement for this

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

while this is basically Old man Logan, i wish they would have called it that. even though i know copyright and so the never ending battle with Fox with ownership stuff....

They could have called it Old Man Logan if they wanted to. They called one of the X men movies Days of the Future past, same as the comic, they have the rights to the comics of their characters. They probably thought that Old Man Logan sounded a bit cheesy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatguywithheadphones: unless there is full on dismemberment, it doesn't even Matter. BvS PG/R rated scenes were...hilarious. Oh boy! It left a blood splatter! Like..I really don't care,it's not a big deal unless your Deadpool.(Or Lobo)

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

They say this every time... I'm skeptical.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Fox can keep the X-Men, for the most part, they've served it well. The FF on the other hand.....well, you know.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020 said:

They could have called it Old Man Logan if they wanted to. They called one of the X men movies Days of the Future past, same as the comic, they have the rights to the comics of their characters. They probably thought that Old Man Logan sounded a bit cheesy.

if they could have, then why didnt they? like i said besides getting characters likenesses such as Hulk,hawkeye, etc it more then likely wouldnt have been doable. i also wish they would have actually had jackman has greyish hair too. it's obvisous the film shows us this will be like some apocalyptic world, not the regular universe, so yea i guess to certain extent it is or supposed to be lightly based off old man logan.

Avatar image for allaboutmarvels
allaboutmarvels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so excited

RemoWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks great to me. We'll get our answer when it finally comes out.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would honestly be glad if they cut out the cameos and riff raff.

I'm just hoping for solid writing and character development.

Logan, Xavier, x23 and a competent villain is all this movie needs.

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This movies got a lot of promise

Ambaryerno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I would honestly be glad if they cut out the cameos and riff raff.

I'm just hoping for solid writing and character development.

Logan, Xavier, x23 and a competent villain is all this movie needs.

We haven't seen much of Holbrook as Pierce, but what we got in this trailer I'm REALLY liking. There's a sort of slimy, charismatic cockiness that looks like it's going to be a LOT of fun to watch on-screen.

It makes me hope they don't kill him off at the end of the film. Since he seems to be taking Kimura's place in the XCU it would be fun to see him become a recurring antagonist for X-23. ESPECIALLY if they make a dark running gag that every time he shows up he loses another body part, becoming increasingly unhinged in every installment.

backupgoalie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't seem right hearing Xavier drop an f-bomb...

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This trailer makes the movie look a bit better.

I still have a lot of reservations but... fingers crossed!

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_krown: It matters if you want to see fights where blows actually connect, instead of awkward cuts or, my "favorite", so much shaky cam you can't see anything that happens in the fight.

Wolverine is a character that can survive and inflict gruesome injuries. An R ratting makes sense for a character like that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jota23: Alright,your right & you've convinced me. I never thought to much of it until you pointed it out. Logan should have Deadpool levels of violence. Remembering him stabbing people all through the series and much of nothing happening graphically.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By jhazzroucher

I saw Storm! :)

No Caption Provided

E-Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad this is Jackman's last time playing Wolverine. I would have liked to see him appear in a Deadpool movie. Something to get that horrible taste out of my mouth left by Wolverine: Origins.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By arthurkerr

They need to do a netflix series and do him justice and give him life. The journey the path of the Wolverine. Just how cool would that be but with other mutants and other heroes as in the comics that is what makes every character great. They fit in with each other like a puzzle peace but as one of my favorite mutants I will take what i can get. Wolverine and his passing through the ages is what makes him a great character as the Highlander of Marvel and the spice of the universe he is set above the rest all but Thor and they need to do Thor justice for he is far older then they make him out to be and yes Thor as well is just somebody not truly done correct. When they do you will say great balls for fire they did this right lets see what else they have...Lets see how they do Black Cat and Spiderman..I mean it could happen.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

I hope this movie is worth it, despite the fact that it won't be part of the X-Men altered timeline.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DevilMayehm666
doc4943

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to point out the error in this articles title. It doesn't appear to be anything like the movie I wanted. or even a movie I intend to watch. The first two Wolvie movies were pretty bad, this heads straight to the bottom of the barrel and begins scraping.