• 70 results
HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HeroUp2112

Let me start off by saying I'm not a huge Thor fan. He's not my favorite character, and I've never had championed him in a Battle Forum and had him beaten by a Speedster lol.

Seriously though, after many moons I've noticed a consistent bashing and general hate of this character in more than a few threads on ComicVine. I'm not just talking about the "Slodinson" thing.

Where does all the Thor Hate come from. Perhaps I'm over stating, but I lot of people genuinely seem to dislike this character and give a lot of negativity toward him.

I'm just looking to understand why. Can anyone help me out here?

Mainly looking for answers from people who really don't like him, rather than Thor fans who have an opinion why others don't like him.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it ALL the Slodinson stuff, or is it more than that?

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I had to take a guess, it is probably because he cannot beat Superman, and people view him as a disappointment because of that.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@helloman: That makes literally 0 sense but ok.

Avatar image for deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4
deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HeroUp2112

@helloman said:

If I had to take a guess, it is probably because he cannot beat Superman, and people view him as a disappointment because of that.

Possibly, I suppose. It seems though that people consistently underrate, if not downright low ball, his abilities. I guess that could be a reason why...

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also if people who don't like Thor come into the Thor forums and onto this thread it kinda proves how salty they are that they come out their way to trash/troll him

they're also the ones to whine like babies when characters they like get hated on Thor fans are just used to it now

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty hard to hate Thor, the guy is just awesome. People maybe get salty in the battles but I think the character is loved.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure it's because of certain fans who like to wank him that ruins the character for some.

ThanoStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its actually too bad that writers have written him so inconsistently... that's partly to blame. He has some great high end feats, but also some terrible low showings. Creates a lot of positioning both ways.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Never understood what people meant by Slowdonson

I personally don't read Thor comics, simply because outside of comics one of my greatest passions is a study of western history, and all this stuff about messing around with the Nordic lore really throws you off when trying to learn about the real thing

If it were like Wonder Woman and only dipped it's toe in Greek mythology (which it also does a really good job of doing) then I'd be fine with it

Not a personal bash against Thor, just a personal reason for a lack of interest on my part.

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They hate him because they know Thor would smash pretty boy Clark with mjonir, to death.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spambot

In all honesty its about 5-6 posters on cv who hate him though its hard to say if its Thor they hate or other posters who like him and they've prob argued with before on battle forums. I think he is generally well liked on cv.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People hate on thor because thor when written to his potential is unbeatable. So they bring in low ball feats from writers that don't like thor and use that to discredit the facts of thor doing things like denting surfers head, hurting galactus, shattering moons with just the aftershocks of his blows. People don't like thor because he has too many powers, is too cool, and says stuff like this?

"YOU WANT TO DIE ON MARS? I HAVE NO PROBLEM KILLING YOU ON MARS"

phantomjolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on which thor your talking bout Odinson or she-thor

Bezza1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bezza1969

I don't notice a lot of disrespect of Thor, I think he's one of the few Marvel powerhouses actually, who hard-core DC fans respect and like. He gets less flak than Hulk IMHO. Any criticism is probably a result of how Marvel write him. They do have a tendency to give their powerhouses inconsistent power levels, whereas IMO DC are pretty good at show-casing the potential of their powerhouses, such as Superman.

I'm not an out of out fan of Thor, but the movies gave me an interest in the character and I think he is Marvel's version of Superman (ignoring Sentry and Hyperion), in terms of power. I think Stan Lee pretty much admitted he was looking for someone with even more power than the Hulk and turned to Norse mythology for his answer....

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True, Hulk does get a pretty decent amount of flak too so's I've noticed.

Depends on which thor your talking bout Odinson or she-thor

Talking about Odinson. I understand the reasons people have a problem with Jane Foster as a concept, I'm not overly aware of people's issues with her on a fighting/power level as I've not read any of those comics.

It's possible that I'm misinterpreting some of the things I've seen on CV, or maybe I'm just stumbling across major "anti Thor" threads. It just seems like every time I turn around it seems like there's an anti-Thor dog pile. True, there's been a little "Thor wank" but nothing in comparison to the "Thor is over hyped worm dirt" stuff I've seen.

Ah well...maybe it's just me.

Bezza1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the movies have helped. Thor in MCU has yet to show the sort of power that the comic book version has. Avengers Assemble was the worst example, with Iron Man stalemating him and then the Hulk punching him away for the fun of it. As a Hulk fan I found it amusing but I wouldn't be happy as a Thor fan by it.....because of this I think a lot of people who don't read Thor comics think he is over-rated.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza1969:

I can sort of see your point. However, in the Avengers movie Thor was doing REALLY well against the Hulk. When the Hulk "knocked him away" it was pretty much a sucker punch that clearly didn't do Thor any actual damage (pretty funny though :) ). Your point stands though, it didn't score Thor any points in the credibility column.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Every major character gets lowballed and has haters. Superman is considered overpowered and boring to some, Batman is considered overrated by others, DBZ is all punching and explosions, Star Trek is better than Star Wars, these kinds of arguments are nothing new. If there's overhatred on Thor it's only as prevalent as the wanking he gets by his fanboys in compensation.

Bezza1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza1969:

I can sort of see your point. However, in the Avengers movie Thor was doing REALLY well against the Hulk. When the Hulk "knocked him away" it was pretty much a sucker punch that clearly didn't do Thor any actual damage (pretty funny though :) ). Your point stands though, it didn't score Thor any points in the credibility column.

Yeah Thor did ok in a "defensive, don't want to really fight" sort of action against Hulk.

I also think Thor has shown excellent durability in the movies, particularly in Dark World where he took an absolute pounding from Kursed, yet refused to be KO'd. Even Hulk got KO'd by a sucker punch from Stark in the Age of Ultron movie. Mind you in the Marvel CU, Iron Man "MUST NOT LOSE".....!

casper4690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Op Thur don't get hate unless it's female Thor. Thor just tends to lose a lot of battles because it's funny.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza1969:

I also think Thor has shown excellent durability in the movies, particularly in Dark World where he took an absolute pounding from Kursed, yet refused to be KO'd. Even Hulk got KO'd by a sucker punch from Stark in the Age of Ultron movie. Mind you in the Marvel CU, Iron Man "MUST NOT LOSE".....!

Yanno. I had never thought of this...

phantomjolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Happens to every character I think Hulk and Sentry are more hated on comicvine than thor.

Lord-Parallax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Because some of his fans suck.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza1969:

Yanno. I had never thought of this...

Unless he's against Cap. Street level characters always beat powerhouses no matter what.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody hates Thor his fanboys just give rational fans a bad name

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11:

Sorry, in my experience (on CV at least) that doesn't seem to be the case...although the fan boys can also take it to the other extreme, but that happens with pretty much all fanboys.

Bezza1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you read some of the posts on the Thor forums, some of the fans are fairly defensive/aggressive which doesn't help things. Its natural to defend your favourite character and I think Thor gets more than an average number of fanatical followers. Maybe its the norse god thing. Some people think being a god means you're invincible which is clearly not the case. DC powerhouses such as Superman are equivalent to gods in any case, in terms of their power-set.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Thor-Parker

@iara said:

It's pretty hard to hate Thor, the guy is just awesome. People maybe get salty in the battles but I think the character is loved.

This.

Thor is only hated/lowballed in CV battle forums, as a character he´s awesome and a lot of people love him, he was even voted the best Avenger of all time in a poll made by IGN.

http://www.ign.com/lists/avengers

Anysa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iara said:

Yup.

Funny enough...I think characters like Sentry are exactly the opposite.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

The hate sounds more like the mocking of Thor's fans rather than Thor the character. Which is likely due to there being a core of fans who cannot or will not hear anything about Thor having a combat speed thats much slower than other characters. So he's called 'Slowdinson' to trigger people.

There is also an element of irritation with Thor in battle forums. Because Thor is an old character, Marvel has never had a big old reboot... so the end result is that Thor has had a massive amount of different feats with and without Mjolnir, some which have only happened once and never seen again, yet certain fans of his insist these feats are as likely to be used as the hammer getting thrown. He isn't the only character this happens to. Also this appears when the far weaker than comics movie Thor appears to take on someone, the default reply to anyone who doesn't appear to be able to fly is: 'he'll just trap them in a tornado and burn them with lightning!'

Thor is a powerful character, there is no one who doubts that. The problem is that there are quite a few who instantly go for the special fringe feats in order to win arguments... even when using them is not really in Thor's character. Kinda like if Superman fans argued that he'd just zip off with his super speed and get the Phantom Zone projector and drop his opponents in it before they realized what happened.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HighAccuser
No Caption Provided

The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside of the Slowdinson joke, and speed in general, I think he is massively overrated by many.

I was told today that standard worthy Thor can take on Kingdom Come Superman and Death Seed Sentry solo.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 114

Outside of the Slowdinson joke, and speed in general, I think he is massively overrated by many.

I was told today that standard worthy Thor can take on Kingdom Come Superman and Death Seed Sentry solo.

You think that is bad? I heard Thor can solo Hunter Zolomon and how it takes only two Thors to beat Superman, Wonder Woman, MMH, Hal Jordan, Wally West, Aquaman and Batman. Two Thors for all those 5 idiots (I say 5 because Batman and Superman are non factor)?!!! Are you kidding me?

Let me start off by saying I'm not a huge Thor fan. He's not my favorite character, and I've never had championed him in a Battle Forum and had him beaten by a Speedster lol.

Seriously though, after many moons I've noticed a consistent bashing and general hate of this character in more than a few threads on ComicVine. I'm not just talking about the "Slodinson" thing.

Where does all the Thor Hate come from. Perhaps I'm over stating, but I lot of people genuinely seem to dislike this character and give a lot of negativity toward him.

Mainly looking for answers from people who really don't like him, rather than Thor fans who have an opinion why others don't like him.

This is what a butthurt Thor fan will tell you:

Because he is the beast, the best character ever and he is so overpowered and he would destroy everybody's favorite character so you hate him because you are a fanboy and can't accept Thor's awesomeness.

This is what butthurt Thor hater will tell you:

Because he is extremely slow idiot who would get his ass kicked by Superman. He is nothing compared to Superman. He is weak and Superman will take his hammer and beat his Godly as with it jada jada.

And this is what anybody with common sense would say:

People don't really hate Thor. They just get pissed because of 95% of Thor fans on this site who are overrating him like crazy so they start to hate the character. However there are people who don't hate Thor but they hate his fans which is understandable. As for Slodinson or Slowdinson (whatever) argument, there are people who truly think Thor is slow but only those who are getting pissed off because of Thor fanbase are the ones who are trying to hard to prove it.

Avatar image for redwhiteandbluesupes
RedWhiteAndBlueSupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: In all honesty its about 5-6 posters on cv who hate him though its hard to say if its Thor they hate or other posters who like him and they've prob argued with before on battle forums. I think he is generally well liked on cv.^^^^^^^^^this.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the-seeffiss17 said:

You think that is bad? I heard Thor can solo Hunter Zolomon and how it takes only two Thors to beat Superman, Wonder Woman, MMH, Hal Jordan, Wally West, Aquaman and Batman. Two Thors for all those 5 idiots (I say 5 because Batman and Superman are non factor)?!!! Are you kidding me?

@heroup2112 said:

This is what a butthurt Thor fan will tell you:

Because he is the beast, the best character ever and he is so overpowered and he would destroy everybody's favorite character so you hate him because you are a fanboy and can't accept Thor's awesomeness.

This is what butthurt Thor hater will tell you:

Because he is extremely slow idiot who would get his ass kicked by Superman. He is nothing compared to Superman. He is weak and Superman will take his hammer and beat his Godly as with it jada jada.

And this is what anybody with common sense would say:

People don't really hate Thor. They just get pissed because of 95% of Thor fans on this site who are overrating him like crazy so they start to hate the character. However there are people who don't hate Thor but they hate his fans which is understandable. As for Slodinson or Slowdinson (whatever) argument, there are people who truly think Thor is slow but only those who are getting pissed off because of Thor fanbase are the ones who are trying to hard to prove it.

As usual you help to put things in a decent perspective that I (at least) have an easier time digesting.

The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Exactly, his massive overrating by many, is what puts me off of the character (in a battle forums sense). As a comic-reader though, I don't dislike the character.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 114

#39  Edited By KrleAvenger
Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cause of lowballing. Calling him slow and re-using scans of him missing street levelers became popular and made people think they were more "knowledgeable" and that caused a lot of people to defend him, who then got called fanboys. It's not that more people dislike him now, just that they are the noisy minority.

In a personal note, I could never get into the Thor solo comics cause I thought they were boring. As a character though, I think Thor is cool.

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BlueHope

I think is mostly because of his fanboys.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By z3ro180

@heroup2112: dude you asked that question in the wrong thread, this forum is filled with mouthing but bitching and salt

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180:

lol Thanks for catching me up ;)

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mainly in battle forums i think. mostly cause of the slowinson thing. inconsistent in his reaction/fighting speed throughout the decades. sometimes he does extremely well in characters with speed/ sometimes he is having a hard time with street levelers. if used in battle forums, POPCORN

Avatar image for deactivated-5d01cd4d1eb4b
deactivated-5d01cd4d1eb4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People hate him because of his toxic fanboys. I personally loved Thor but really his fanboys, wankers etc. just discouraged me to read comics about him etc.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By phisigmatau

People hate him because of his toxic fanboys. I personally loved Thor but really his fanboys, wankers etc. just discouraged me to read comics about him etc.

thats every fan group

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Lol at Thor cannot beat Superman

Comment like these only make Superman fanboys salty

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because superman fanboys can't stand seeing their character lose. So they disregard some major speed feats thor has. They don't realize superman's speed is inconsistent.

Same applies to Thor fanboys

Avatar image for deactivated-5d4092c43d62c
deactivated-5d4092c43d62c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His fans. I used to like Thor, but his fans disgusted me from him. Not mentioning wave of omega MCU fanboys m*******ing themselves over Star level Thor with surpassing Infinity Gauntlet Stormbreaker. Yes only Thor in MCU counts. No Cap America or Groot or Rocket but Thor. And people wonders why they hate this character. I am curious why.....

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

People Hate what is great.