She-Thor Still Sucks

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BrandonJimkern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I'm sorry, but Female "Thor" is a Godawful idea. It was completely unnecessary and uncalled-for that gives fans one big fat middle finger. If you think you can replace the God of Thunder with some broad we have never heard of and expect fans to like it and call those who don't misogynist (even if they're female themselves), then you sir must really be ignorant of your fan base. If you want to make more superhero comics for women, then promote your preexisting female characters (Captain Marvel & Storm are great examples and pretty good comics in their own right) or create new ones altogether (Silk). Don't take away a lot of people's favorite character just to pander to female fans in arguably the worst way possible. I can honestly tell you I HAVE NOT met a single fan who likes this new "Thor". I hate this idea, I hate this comic, and I refuse to even read it until they bring back the one and only God of Thunder. THAT is how bad this idea is. It makes my blood boil just thinking about it. It was a bad idea then, it's a bad idea now, and years down the line, people will look back on it and recall how bad it was as an idea.

(For the record, I did indeed read a few issues of this new "Thor", but they were actually worse than I was expecting. So, like I said, I refuse to read any further until Thor gets back the Hammer).

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I really can't see how anyone could call this title "good" if they're actually reading it, most of the ones championing this disaster likely have never even read Thor or even give a damn about the character anyway. Makes it pretty easy to dismiss all the naysayers and support this short sighted change when someone has no investment in the characters or their history or doesn't even read comics in the first place.

mcdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mcdavid

Well, the thing is that it seems to be selling pretty well.

I'm not especially a massive fan of the change either, but when you look at the sales figures (on the US side at least), things would indicate that it's pretty popular. Hell, NewThor sold more than on her first issue than oldThor did for TGOT. Just check these links and have a little dig around if you don't believe me.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2014/2014-10.html (Thor#1 : 150,862 )

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2012/2012-11.html (TGOT#1 : 110,443 )

I cant check how many the last Thor #5 issue sold at the moment , since the website is still putting all of February's sales together, but even when I compare Thor#4 & TGOT#4 sales, newThor still seems to be doing much better. Guess all the PC change drama stuff generally quite a buzz after-all, whether it's for better or worse is still to early to tell.

It is a bit strange that the current run is selling so much better than TGOT considering how acclaimed it was by fans all-over, but it is what it is. We'll have to see what happens during Secret Wars to get to the bottom of it.

Makentsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcdavid: I wouldn't worry to much about the sales because if you noticed their dropping fast since issue#1 and will probably continue to sink now that all the star wars books are out. Sides if you look at all of aaron"s run from TGOT to now was really low in sales compared to JMS's run.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Well, Fem-Thors biggest weakspot is really a lack of characterization. She is brought nothing new to the character and has not enough of a distinctive personality to enjoy her for that. The big flaws are however with the writing of the series, characterization of Thor and Odin, the ego-blowjobs by other characters,

Spiderman: "She saved us."; We know we've read the comic in which that happened

Titania: "I go to prison because I accept what you do... cause it's such a super feminist thing to do... girl power."; because female superheroes are more feministic if they do it with a mans name than with their own name, so much that villainous females want to surrender, because they have to imply that ALL females reading this are 100% supporrtive of this... God, THIS was the worst part in this series.

The series seems to claim too boost females in comics, which is fine, but does so by making male characters worse in contrast, having female villains handle the heroine with kiddy gloves, and everyone mentioning how amazing she is instead of letting the reader come to this conclusion, after witnessing her actions.

Ultimately it feels like this claims to be feministic, but is written by males who don't properly understand what feminism is about. Doesn't help that the character has the powerset, name and most importantly readership inherited from a male hero and not done anything to set her apart from said hero so far. Further the Creel, Titania, moment and having characters repeatedly have to mention how great the hero is makes it seems like the author has very little trust that his work properly manages to convey what he wants it to be seen as and isnteads tells it to them... also makes him look really thin-skinned.

Makentsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: 100000% Agree that's how I felt as well like I said in another post even if it's a mystery you still have to make like her for a reason and also show don't tell why we should accept her as the new Thor.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the hate, reminds me of the days when they turned Thor into a Frog or they replaced him with Kevin Masterson (aka Thunderstike), bad days to be sure for Thor fans. I can bear the current she-Thor knowing that at least we have Odinson still in the story.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@earthsmightiest: well as I've said before I don't hate replacement Thor simply for being female, but rather for the completely asinine way the change was forced into the series and how awful the writing has been since. I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt when it was announced, but as this arc progressed it's done nothing but fail in spectacular fashion. As for sales I'm certain the hype and media coverage has helped increase those numbers, even TGoT likely would have done better if it had been promoted as heavily, so those numbers for replacement Thor deserve an asterisk and footnote.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Asgaard

@mcdavid: Sales were the only purpose of this change, and yet you can't compare the sales of a female pr stunt with main stream attention and in Red Hulk style, with the sales of TGOT, when Thor was coming from Matt Fraction writing that was not very well accepted, and no one knew for sure what expect from Aaron's run on Thor, basically you are saying that the Star Wars prequels made more money that the original trilogy and yet that is the less important aspect that should be take in consideration, because the quality speaks for itself. And compare the Gorr arc of TGOT with female Thor first 5 issues is exactly the same that compare the prequels quality with the Original Star Wars trilogy.

This is how comics work we saw that with Rulk, when her identity is revealed go check the sales again...You and I and everyone that read TGOT know that her story didn't bring anything that could justify the end of TGOT, on the contrary, because to make her Thor, Aaron is destroying Thor Odinson core essential elements with whispers and other plot induced stupidities.

BrandonJimkern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BrandonJimkern

@asgaard: Ok, for the Record, I DO like the Star Wars Prequels, so I'm not one of those guys who constantly bitch and complain about them even though they were not Bad movies to begin with (I will admit to a few problems though, but please lets not turn this into a prequel discussion). Now back to She-Thor: Yes, I agree that this was ONLY done to make money, but they made money at the expense of making something of quality (Twilight movies also apply). The Prequels were Good Ideas with problematic execution, but the 'Thor' publicity stunt is a Bad Idea with Bad Execution. Anyone who green-lighted that idea should be fired.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

This Female THOR I like it....ANOTHER!

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Asgaard

@brandonjimkern: i m not that Star Wars fan that keeps complaining about the prequels, like that Amc movie news guy, quantify quality is always subjective, but i think you get the concept of my analogy...

You have a point i have to agree that after the whisper and reading the 5 first issues, Aaron is not building anything, he is only destroying Asgard, Odin, Mjolnir and Thor core essential elements, some of that concepts and elements were written by him in TGOT, Ex. What means to be a God, Thor's sense of Honor, and young Thor was Thor before being worthy of Mjolnir, the hammer never work like a character before, very convenient Aaron or should i say P.I.S., but how stupid is that? It's just an Asgardian weapon, and Odin's motivations!?!?! Not believable at all...For the first time in many consecutive runs i quit on a Thor book... Angela and Loki books writing is superior to Aaron's in every aspect, Al Ewing Odin is the all wise All Father of Asgard, a different character from Aaron's irrational and emotional human Odin, Kieron Gillen writing on Angela make you feel like you are reading a real story about Gods Demons and Angels, and Al Ewing and Kieron Gillen writing doesn't need to destroy characters to build the foundations of the story line, and most important when you are reading the Pr stunt book, the writing isn't able to transport you to the land of the Gods, it's not an Asgardian comic book...

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's burn Jason Aaron alive for his atrocities!

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like this book. lots of mystery

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cgoodness: Never gonna tire from that picture... i just wish Aaron could see it.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: the right word is misery not mystery, since issue 2 that everybody knows she is human Jane or Roz, and the final result is the same because the hammer influences her behavior...And we still could be reading about Old King Thor and Galactus...

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@sodamyat: the right word is misery not mystery, since issue 2 that everybody knows she is human Jane or Roz, and the final result is the same because the hammer influences her behavior...And we still could be reading about Old King Thor and Galactus...

I like it.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@thorson said:

This Female THOR I like it....ANOTHER!

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I get a chance to read it I'll have to see.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@asgaard said:

I like it.

And you make sure that you say it in several topics, strange is your "dislike" for Thor Odinson in the battles topics, she only has his power...

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: i say it about as often as everyone else mentions they hate it. if that upsets you, im sorry.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I actually like the current eh of Thor. I am one issue behind.

I would like to consider myself a Thor fan but I am generally flexible with stuff like this. Don't seem to bother me. We need more stories, if this is the story Marvel/ Aaron wants to tell I don't have a problem with it just because Thor has been replaced with another character.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@asgaard: i say it about as often as everyone else mentions they hate it. if that upsets you, im sorry.

You are free to post whatever you want, but something was not making much sense, i get it now...

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Asgaard

@claymore1998: the new book ended TGOT, one of the best runs ever made on Thor, the problem is that the new writing is not believable on characters like Thor and Odin and for now there isn't any story that marvel and Aaron are telling, the plot is only who is she, and to try make this change work Aaron is destroying Thor, Mjolnir, Odin and Asgard core essential elements, unlike Thor God of Thunder the current writing is only focused on the sales.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@sodamyat said:

You are free to post whatever you want, but something was not making much sense, i get it now...

cool

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Asgaard

@sodamyat said:

@asgaard said:

@sodamyat said:

cool

Thor will be worthy again in the future, hope you could keep enjoying the writing when that happens...

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@sodamyat said:

@asgaard said:

@sodamyat said:

cool

Thor will be worthy again in the future, hope you keep enjoying the writing when that happens...

if its good like it is so far, im sure i will.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@sodamyat said:

@asgaard said:

I like it.

And you make sure that you say it in several topics, strange is your "dislike" for Thor Odinson in the battles topics, she only has his power...

Seems @sodamyat only "likes" it as long as others don't, simply stirring things up, if everyone were cool with replacement Thor the dislike would be the same as for the Odinson. :P

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@sodamyat said:

@asgaard said:

I like it.

Seems @sodamyat only "likes" it as long as others don't, simply stirring things up, if everyone were cool with replacement Thor the dislike would be the same as for the Odinson. :P

nah. and you know why its "nah"? because simply stating that i like it has no bearing on you or anyone elses opinion. you guys can continue hating it. im not stopping anyone from complaining. my opinion is my own. i like it. its interesting. and thats all there is to it.

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DaymarePrime

I think the book would be better without the mystery lasting too long. It appears to be going on hiatus once they show her identity which could derail the whole thing- especially not knowing how long that will last or RD is returning when/if it does. I do enjoy the current run though, not as much as GOT but it is still decent.

I appreciate the gamble they are taking with Secret War but I do think they will find that this may kill many of their titles. Who wants to wait 5 months for their storyline to continue, start up in an advanced timeframe, or not return at all and one of these would have to be the outcome. For me I am finishing the first collected runs of Captain A and Thor, not collecting anything Secret War related, and I know I will forget to go back if they restart or if they have major changes due to the plethora of side-stories I will not want to try and figure out current state on any.

I am truly not complaining, but Marvel has 100% lost me as a reader once this begins and I doubt I will return, my MU even runs out before then and I don't have the intention of renewing. I don't fully think they care about the long time reader at the moment anyhow, this could attract a new generation.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Asgaard

@sodamyat said:

@antithetical said:

@asgaard said:

@sodamyat said:

@asgaard said:

I like it.

nah. and you know why its "nah"? because simply stating that i like it has no bearing on you or anyone elses opinion. you guys can continue hating it. im not stopping anyone from complaining. my opinion is my own. i like it. its interesting. and thats all there is to it.

Sure... but you could elaborate more why you like it... Interesting seems to be a short justification to so many likes in so many topics, I m speaking of real arguments...I said why i don't like it, i said why i like Angela, post only likes in this subject knowing your "love" for the Odinson seems that you are in campaign against his return...

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel the same way about this Secret Wars nonsense, I just got back into reading comics last year after a fairly lengthy hiatus. I've no interest whatsoever in this "event" and depending on how things turn out afterwards may just quit altogether, at the very least I'll have plenty of back issues to catch up on, but 2015 could be the death of the MU for me. And it would make the current replacement Thor story absolutely pointless

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@sodamyat said:

@antithetical said:

@asgaard said:

@sodamyat said:

@asgaard said:

I like it.

Sure... but you could elaborate more why you like it... Interesting seems to be a short justification to so many likes in so many topics, I m speaking of real arguments...I said why i don't like it, i said why i like Angela, post only likes in this subject knowing your "love" for the Odinson seems that you are in campaign against his return...

I could but I dont have to. I do it on a whim whether I go into detail or not. If you wanted it that badly you could have just asked...

Your argument doesnt even make sense. youre like a rabid fan right now grasping at straws. Just because i like the current Thor story doesnt mean that i dont want Odinson to return to being thor. Use some common sense.

Now, to asnwer your question. I like this book because of the mystery. Who is Thor? I dont know for sure, we all thought it was freija for sure just a few issues ago. and now? we know better. we know for sure its not. and even for those that mistakenly thought it was angela, we obviously know its not her either. so while some peoplle think they know for sure, i'll kick back and watch until its revealed instead of saying things like "i know its her for sure". Also, im enjoying the portrayl of odin. its incredibly interesting that the all father himself cant lift mjolnir despite the fact that it was him that made the enchantement. Im loving how aaron is writing Odinson right now too because we get to see how much he cares about mjolnir. its like he's lost part of himself and that gives us depth insight into his character beyond just being a brute. The art is amazing, too.

I hope that you appreciate that i answered your question when i certainly am not required to. And if you hate the reasons i listed, well, frankly, so what? Im not trying to convince you. feel free to feel however you want to feel.

Cheers and good day.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I love how people seem to be speaking on behalf of so many others. True fans, fake fans, misogynists, feminists, women, etc.

Woman = Feminist

Thor Fan = Misogynist

Fun stuff.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've really gone beyond caring. At this point the female Thor could be Thor and Sue Richards illegitimate daughter and I don't think I'd care.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way Aaron has been writing the story so far has been bad, he could've done much better than this. But there's really nothing new I can say, besides Aaron continuing to use the asgardians terribly. Sif acted weirdly last issue, in the preview heimdall acts like an idiot, and Odin and Freyja are just off in their portrayals.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion WHO replacement Thor happens to be isn't compelling enough on it's own and cheapens the writing, but it's apparently a device which has worked for Marvel before so why not drag it out of storage yet again? It's not Hulk readers after all and maybe they won't notice.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm liking the new Thor, she hasent been written badly and apart from the start of issue five the whole seris has been pretty solid.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh at least it's not permanent. I consider this a Nova, Blue Beetle , Ultimate spider-man and so on situation, where the character just gets replaced but in this case it's not forever. What I won't understand is him losing his name lol. He's suddenly not "Thor" now lol. He was Thor before he was worthy....

Stormmagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If a character's greatest assets is their gender and/or race and not their personalities, motivation, and overall struggles and joys of life, then you know you got a problem.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By SoA

book is fine. its different. why is no one upset with "evil" tony or why captain falcon is around? when he has no business taking up the mantle . u have a grounded thor (you know so now we can see what he can do without mjolnir that you fanboys have been saying he doesn't necessarily need to be awesome?) and have a mystery woman under the mantle of a very powerful being . given after the reveal she needs to step up her game . the manipulation and full control of mjolnir is cool but she needs to really show some more impressive feats.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By antithetical

In the case of Iron Man they've made him a total a**hole before, kinda wish they'd stop screwing with his personality all the time or just go back to making him an alcoholic if they can't leave well enough alone. And when it comes to Cap, Steve Rogers IS the one and only, but when it comes down to it those changes don't bother me nearly as much since I'm not necessarily a huge fan of either character. As for replacement Thor my biggest gripes aren't that a woman wields Mjolnir but that it was done in such a spectacularly ridiculous manner and that the writing has been awful from the very beginning, simply milking sales from keeping her identity and the reason for Thor's unworthiness a huge, lame-a**ed secret.

BrandonJimkern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ONLY thing that might make me forgive the God-Awful decision that a woman is now "Thor" is that it is revealed she is the villain the entire time and was behind all of the bad things happening to Thor ever since he lost Mjolnir. Even then, I still will find Female "Thor" a pretty bad idea And giving her no real distinct personality whatsoever along with binding her to the popularity to an infinitely better character just adds insult to injury.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brandonjimkern: so like if Roz and grandpa Fury were in cahoots the whole time, being S.H.I. E.L.D. agents and all?

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like her and the new direction of the book. It's cool to see the reaction and conditions of an Unworthy Thor

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can honestly tell you I HAVE NOT met a single fan who likes this new "Thor".

Hello, my name is Duzz, I'm a fan. Now you now someone!