k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

"People like you are supposed to be dead."

Rick's crew attempting to survive in Alexandria means we're not seeing quite as many zombies as we usually do. That's perfectly fine since this storyline has been producing some exciting and tense drama, but the opening shot of this episode is an amazing reminder of what lurks outside of Alexandria's tall walls. This story's giving us a spotlight on "the walking suburbanites," but man, that creepy zombie in the opening shot was a terrific way of pulling us back into this bloody and bleak universe. It was downright haunting and one hell of a way to start the episode.

The opening pretty much plays out how many of us thought it would. To no one's surprise, Nicholas is being a lying coward. Combine that with the loss Deanne just suffered and that of course means she's seriously questioning whether Rick's gang can be trusted. (See, this is all going to blow up without Gabriel's frustrating scene in the last episode!) It's basically going through the predictable motions early on, but it is a little baffling why didn't see anyone from Rick's crew talking to Deanne and giving their side of the story. I'd be curious to see her reaction to Glenn or Eugene explaining what went down. Unfortunately, we don't get that and we're just going to have to assume she somewhat believes Nicholas, the guy we hate and will probably never care about. That said, the scene of Glenn confronting Nicholas was top-notch. After Steven Yeun's performance in the last episode and now this scene, the guy is really winning me over. Here's hoping the Wolves don't say "hello" to his head with a bat in the near future.

As expected, a solid part of this episode is the growing tension between Rick and Pete. The handling of this buildup was majorly satisfying. Watching Rick, with half of his face covered in darkness, tell Pete to "keep walking" was one of those moments that reminds you just how formidable and frightening Rick can be. In that moment, we're reminded of all he's been through and what he's capable of, yet he's trying so hard to make this new situation work. And then when this conflict comes to a head, it's pretty awesome and explodes just the way it should. That said, I'm a little disappointed Rick wasn't doing better in the fight. After all that dude's been through, you'd think he'd fare a little better. Alexandria's making you soft, man! Rick isn't just building tension with Pete, though. He's also managed to avoid becoming best friends with Deanna and this is generating a good focus on morals. If you can build a society in this twisted word, can it truly be like the way things were? Will taking the moral high ground just result in destroying everything and everyone? Is sending someone into the world really a better (or even kinder) option than just killing them? There isn't much of an open debate here -- just two sides standing firmly behind what they believe -- but watching those completely different mentalities clash has been pretty engaging.

An unexpected treat was the focus on Rosita (you know, that person who occasionally stands next to Abraham and that's kind of it), Sasha, and Michonne. Rosita doesn't get much focus here -- some is better than none, though -- but the insight into Michonne and Sasha is great. Michonne's big scene was handled excellently and I love the moment of Sasha breaking down, pulling herself back together, and then moving on. That small bit was surprisingly powerful. Additionally, the focus on this trio brought about some pretty sweet zombie kills. Sasha's become a freaking terminator and Rosita kicking that one walker's knee was a brutal delight.

Daryl and Aaron's discovery was pretty stunning. We expect gore from this show, but what they found? Yeesh. Considering how the show is building and building the Wolves as these savage and extremely violent people, I'm pretty certain their debut will mean the death of a character. At this point, it would be weird to have them make an appearance and not slaughter one of the survivors if they spot them. With so many characters wandering the woods, this feels inevitable.

Photo by Gene Page
Photo by Gene Page

Does anyone else feel like the Carl and Enid sequence went a little too CW-ish for a minute? I don't mind the show building an attraction between the two, but the way it was handled was pretty predictable. It was weird to have them imply they need to bolt and then they went in the tree to hide. Like, right when that happened we all knew what the point of the scene was. That said, it was kind of interesting to see Carl has gone through so much, but at the end of the day, he's still just a kid who's nervous as hell when he's around a girl he likes. Also, was it just me or did they definitely not need to distract that one walker with the timer? If anything, that move made the walker come towards their direction. I get she likes the thrill of being out there, but it seemed like a waste of a device that could seriously save them one day.

So, let's talk about that cliffhanger for a minute. It's one of those, "wait, what?" kind of moments, but I'm pretty certain this is Michonne's way of saving the entire group. Rick screaming and waving a gun while his face is covered in blood isn't going to help the point he's attempting to make; it's just going to make this community trust them even less and it would most likely get them kicked out or lead to something much, much worse. So yeah, I view this as Michonne saving Rick from really messing things up. It's just a painful save and possibly prevented him from going full Shane. To be totally blunt, I wish we had a stronger Wolves teaser before the credits began to roll. I can't help but feel like that would have been more gripping than just ending it with that. It's a great episode, but it doesn't quite feel like a penultimate one. I guess it's a good thing the next episode is 90 minutes!

Minor criticisms: Did anyone else feel like the Nine Inch Nails song (or at least I think it was them) wasn't exactly fitting for the intro? I mean, this won't impact the score and I did enjoy the song, but it felt an odd match for Sasha's scene. Speaking of Sasha, does it slightly bother anyone else when a zombie gets the jump on a character and they suddenly become useless? The zombie shoved her away instead of grabbing or pulling. I guess that zombie was really into football? Lastly, I thought a couple of lines in the conversation between Carol and Rick were just there to spell out some plot point for the viewers and didn't feel like natural things they'd say to each other. I remember some lines which basically reminded us that yes, Rick likes Jessie and yes, Carol was in an abusive relationship. It's just surprising Rick would say "why do you care?" to Carol about a husband abusing his wife and child. He knows why, so the line just seemed like it was there to remind some people about her past.

Random thoughts: Does anyone else think zombies getting their eyes blown out could be a little bit of foreshadowing? After what Maggie went through and considering the position she's currently in, it's pretty surprising she doesn't have a bigger role in what's going on. Plus, I can't help but feel like they're teasing the Wolves so much that it won't be as shocking when they probably kill a main character as they make their big debut. I can see Daryl, Aaron, or even Sasha being on the receiving end of their brutal ways in the finale.

All of that suburban drama finally explodes in a very entertaining way. Despite reading the comic, I'm still left wondering what this means for the conflict between team Rick and team Deanne, and I'm absolutely thinking about whether Aaron and Daryl will be unfortunate enough to catch up with this infamous and elusive group called the Wolves. The bit with Carl and Erin felt like something we'd see on a CW show and there's a few other criticisms, but this episode did a pretty solid job offering interesting plot progression, strong character-driven scenes, and a good amount of excitement.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

Rick is f@cking losing it.

cobsohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I guess I'm not the only one having frequent CW flashes. I felt it the most during the confrontation in Pete's house. I kind of like the feeling now, although it's not immediately pleasurable. It's like hot sauce: painful, but ultimately gives an endorphin rush. I even feel like I've built up a tolerance from Arrow and Flash. Maybe I've inherited this from my soap opera loving Grandmother, but it's just been lying dormant until now. My tastes have been permanently altered thanks to modern comic TV.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

There is just no slowing this season down -- I can't wait to see what they do for the finale next week.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Was her name Enid?

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

"Rosita" Wait she had a name?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@the_stegman said:

Rick is f@cking losing it.

Yep, he gotta go!

Sternfan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this episode sucked.

Too much Carl and WAY too much Sasha.

Just kill Sasha off already ffs...

tx12100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luckily Michonne Punched him in the face otherwise he would had pulled the trigger.

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love Rick!

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rick and Sasha have gone bye-bye

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the song in the beginning didn't fit at all. I couldn't enjoy the opening scene because of thinking "when is this crap gonna stop?!" the whole time.

Great cliffhanger and I can't wait until the finale to see how that pans out, along with the Wolves. This second half of the series has been killing it for me and don't remember enjoying the show this much since the first season.

Here's a question for the people who read the comics. How much better would you say the comic is compared to the show? (if you believe it is). I'm enjoying the show a lot and I will start picking up the hardcovers soon and hopefully be caught up by season 6.

Avatar image for the_average_bear
The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone else notice Carols sly smile when Rick was screaming at the end? I feel like that small moment really spoke volumes about how she has changed

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

There is just no slowing this season down -- I can't wait to see what they do for the finale next week.

This!

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_average_bear said:

Did anyone else notice Carols sly smile when Rick was screaming at the end? I feel like that small moment really spoke volumes about how she has changed

What?! How twisted is that?!

I pity RIck for being too extreme on his beliefs, he gotta do some R&R once in a while.

Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Michonne solidifying why she is my favourite character. She did what needed to be done, Rick has lost his damn mind.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just kill Sasha off already ffs...

Haven't seen the new episode yet, but seriously, this needs to be done.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rick and Sasha really haven't gone nuts because thte fact is and we know this something bad like the Wolves are coming . The community in Alexandria needs to change their rules and help each other, not run when your freinds are going to die. Still, Rick is really shocking me riight now, why is he risking so much for some woman he barely knows? Carol manipulated him when she told him she sees how Rick looks at her.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By buttersdaman000

Rick just went full Shane!! Lol dude finally cracked, looking like a psycho enunciating with his gun with blood all over his face. Those final few minutes were amazing, but i'm kind of disappointed how it all went down. How is Pete gonna die now?? And why wasn't there more focus on the wolves? The Sasha subplot was boring and unneeded. She's been in her feelings for way too long. Either turn her into the new Andrea or kill her ass off.

Did anyone else think it weird that Pete was able to fight Rick like that though? I was expecting Rick to dominate......

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One more thing, before I forget: Why in the world did the woman they were fighting for did not give any effort in stopping them until the last minute? She was all "Stop it!" and stuff. Argh

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoyed the rick and Pete fight. The rest of ricks group needs to realize that Alexandria cannot survive under the current rules, and that Deanna doesn't know what she's doing. I cannot wait to see what it is that happens that snaps them out of it. Its probably going to be a death, and it'll be awesome to see all that chaos.

I predict Pete will kill carol which will lead rick to kill him as a herd reaches the walls. And Daryl and Aaron will be captured and beaten up before Morgan saves them. Its possible Morgan hasn't caught ho yet though, so maybe Daryl and Aaron will escape on their own, and we will see Morgan looking at the Washington monument or something. I really want to see Morgan actually reach someone from ricks group in the finale though.

I agree that that song was terrible. And they most definitely won't kill Daryl I'm sure, and probably not sasha. Maybe Aaron but I don't see it. The wolves probably won't kill anyone, if anything they will leave it as a cliffhanger with daryl and Aaron captured.

Also, I think rick did fine in that fight. He lost to the governor, was struggling with the prisoner named Andrew in season three, and was about even with Shane. This is the first time he has actually won a fair fight. Pete is a bigger guy and its realistic that it took rick some time to beat him. They try to make Rick and the others like real people and not superheros.

I must also agree that the buildup to the wolves has been less than perfect. Seeing a "w" in walkers heads isn't that intimidating or foreboding. I hope they give more meaning to it.

Also I find it creepy that Carl has dreams about running around with walkers. Nice review.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My second least favorite episode of the season. Last week was one of the strongest episodes ever and the follow up was abysmal. We barely saw any impact from how things went last week. I love the show but I'm going to be honest and hard. This episode was pathetic. The extant of grief we see from Deanna is her listening to her son's mix tape (which didn't fit) and standing at a grave. Michonne and Rosita tracking Sasha through the woods as she goes on a angry walker killing spree was pointless. We already know Sasha isn't coping, so how did this improve upon that? It didn't. Noah already feels forgotten, nothing from Maggie telling the group what Gabriel said, Goshdangit i can't even go on anymore.....

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

All episodes should be rated 1 star until Jesus shows up. They only way they can make up for him not being in it is if someone actually shoots Carl in the face.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By buttersdaman000

@jonny_anonymous said:

All episodes should be rated 1 star until Jesus shows up. They only way they can make up for him not being in it is if someone actually shoots Carl in the face.

The coward will purposely/accidentally shoot Carl in the face as he tries to escape the horde in the season finale. I think the show sort of foreshadowed that he'll do something bad given he was the one that took Ricks gun.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decent episode but not as good as last week, imo...

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@jonny_anonymous said:

The coward will purposely/accidentally shoot Carl in the face as he tries to escape the horde in the season finale. I think the show sort of foreshadowed that he'll do something bad given he was the one that took Ricks gun.

When Sasha was losing her cool and shooting everything in the back of the head (and the bullets exploded through their eyes) I was feeling almost certain she'd be the one to tag Carl.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By buttersdaman000

@k4tzm4n said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

When Sasha was losing her cool and shooting everything in the back of the head (and the bullets exploded through their eyes) I was feeling almost certain she'd be the one to tag Carl.

I was kind of thinking that too, but at the time I thought it was more likely that she would kill Pete in an effort to save Rick. Speaking of which, i'm really surprised he's still alive. The season finale has a lot of material to cover.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mutant God
Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Rick is the new Shane.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

damnnnnn what an episode

~MiB

AnnMakya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AnnMakya

love the show

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pretty good episode...the last few episodes have gotten me hooked again. Im in a way not really expecting to see much of the Wolves in the season finale but you never know. Im still waiting for Morgan and even Paul to make an appearance.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm confused about something. Why didn't Daryl and Aaron go check out the light the saw at the start of the episode?

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was expecting Rick to one punch that dude like Glenn did. Like really.

Rick the badass dude who's also a cop with tons of experience living that hard life vs a drunken surgeon. Hard choice.

texedmunds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the show is setting Rick up to take over in the finale or some point soon. He is being torn down low by the Alexandrians, but not quite to the point of being kicked out. When the next big threat attacks, I think it will get inside the walls and Rick will save the group and all will be forgiven.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@jayc1324 said:

I'm confused about something. Why didn't Daryl and Aaron go check out the light the saw at the start of the episode?

That's... a really good point. I mean, was it very far away or something? Didn't seem like it. I guess Aaron left all of the good gear at home because... they don't want to reveal the Wolves just yet?

bukdiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Oh god, I would love for Morgan to show up somehow. I was wondering where the hell that guy way.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WTF is wrong with Michonne ? Anybody has any idea why she did that ?

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don´t think Rick has gone nuts, I´m surprised so many viners are saying he is losing it, I think he is right, if they want to survive, they got to change their ways, Deanna doesn´t know what she is doing.

And I got so many questions.

@albusan: @jayc1324: What is the Wolves, who are they ?

@k4tzm4n: @buttersdaman000: Was Carl shot in the comics, is he dead ?

And there´s something I didn´t really understand, is Morgan following Rick´s group purposely ?

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82:

Well, everybody said Shane went nuts even though he too was right all along. and Rick seems like he snapped a bit because he was ranting like a madman, not because of what he was saying.

And, yeah, Carl was shot in the comics but he's not dead. He's just missing an eye. A lot of people doubt the show will go through with this since they skipped over Rick getting his hand cut off, but I think otherwise. It's not that hard to put an eye-patch on him lol

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rogueshadow  Moderator

No Caption Provided

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By buttersdaman000

@buttersdaman000: And who are the Wolves ?

They aren't in the comics but i'm guessing they're the show equivalent of the Scavengers. They're pretty minor villains, basically catalyst for a huge action scene.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Carl isn't losing an eye and Rick isn't losing a hand. It's pretty much is the same reason Michonne didn't get raped. So I wouldn't hold my breath on either of those things happening. Rick did suck in that fight though, it was kind of pathetic. But, maybe Rick really wasn't trying to kill him and so perhaps he held back.

I don´t think Rick has gone nuts, I´m surprised so many viners are saying he is losing it, I think he is right, if they want to survive, they got to change their ways, Deanna doesn´t know what she is doing.

And I got so many questions.

@albusan: @jayc1324: What is the Wolves, who are they ?

@k4tzm4n: @buttersdaman000: Was Carl shot in the comics, is he dead ?

And there´s something I didn´t really understand, is Morgan following Rick´s group purposely ?

No Caption Provided

The point is Rick is right and his style of leadership & Morgan(crazy skills & trap making) are going to have to save everyone from the Wolfpack. I'm guessing the Wolfpack are the people that got kicked out of Alexandria and they are back for some possible payback.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: Is Morgan following Rick´s group purposely ?

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: It's completely stupid if he isn't trying to find rick and team back up.

A. Why tease him.

B. What other possible reason could be following them for?

Now that there is only 1 episode left I do wonder if we will see Morgan next week or will he just be in line for a major team up with Rick & the Hommies next season.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: Why do you think michonne wasn't raped?

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: You can only push a non premium cable show so far. The Walking Dead audicene is actually pretty mainstream. With a show like Game of Thrones which is still a premium channel niche show you can get away with brutal rapes and stuff like that. A non premium cable show has to answer to product advertisers, premium cable shows only answer to the audience themselves. Advertisers don't want to be tied to the slightest hint of misognry. Look how DC and their artists decided to get rid of the Joker Batgirl Cover when the PC crowd started crying. Could you image how females and the PC police would react to the brutal on screen rape of a major character on a show with ratings that rival Sunday Night Football? There would be a brigade of people damning the show. That's why I really doubt they will ever put these characters through the hell they go through in the comics. A mainstream audience can't take it.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14 said:

@thor_parker82: because she wants to stay there at Alexandria.

Rick was right though, so there was no need for Michonne to do what she did.