The Walking Dead Episode 514 - "Spend"

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*Yup, there's some spoilers in here. Don't worry, we won't intentionally ruin any of the real jaw-droppers.*

"This is the beginning."

Rick's group has survived the undead, cannibals, and all kinds of terrible, terrible people, but can they survive in suburbia? On paper, this may not seem like the most compelling conflict the group has found themselves in (unless you've read the comic, of course!), but this is honestly turning out to be one of the more memorable storylines; it's just loaded with potential. They're finding ways to really shine a spotlight on several important characters, give us all of the zombie madness and drama we crave, and they're building a legitimate interesting dilemma.

Wow, the gore in this one brought back memories of some of the more horrific moments from plenty of zombie movies. I mean, this show is always trying to stun us with graphic violence, but this one went above and beyond twice. One death had this brilliant yet brutal shot that managed to capture the pain the person is experiencing while also giving us a full look at all of the horrible, horrible things that are happening to their body. It brought back memories of a certain death in Shaun of the Dead but offered a different angle. It's a horrifying reminder of what can happen with just one slip up in this world. There's another absolutely savage scene that felt like something out of Dead Alive. I mean, it's not funny, but it was just so violent. I've only watched this episode once, but it looked like they went for practical effects for a close-up of something incredibly gruesome and wow, it really hit you. I feel like the over-the-top way the death was handled took away a bit of the emotion, but someone's response made up for that and then some.

These episodes are doing a solid job building tension within the walls. As expected, it's still Rick and Carol who seem determined to take drastic action. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the decision they've reached (or at least it seems like they agree on it), but man, the way they're building up the drama has been really gripping. Having a wasted Pete come by and awkwardly talk with Rick just leaves you counting down the seconds until these two explode. In a small community like that one, you can only hide secrets for so long. Next week is sure to be full of moments that'll make us drop our jaws. Or at least it should be. And the follow-up with Carol and the kid did a great job giving us insight into the character without blatantly spelling things out. There's so much dark material in her past and you can see how they've shaped the person she is today. For example, you can't blame her for wanting to push away a kid, can you?

Hell yeah, Abraham! I was wondering when they'd give the big guy a little more focus and I'm really happy how they've decided to handle it. You get a sense that he's lost the will to live earlier on in this one. He's a man without a mission, so why bother going on? The answer to that question is an awesome sequence that offers some really entertaining zombie kills while also telling us everything we need to know about the guy. That shot of him blasting zombies point blank in the face? And his grin as he swung away at them? Great stuff.

Steven Yeun (Glenn) gave an amazing performance in this one. His reactions were so powerful and moving. He did a brilliant job selling those big moments and his reaction is what almost brought me to tears. The developments were certainly shocking, but the way he responded really made it all sink in Seriously, he did an astonishing job. I mean, when Eugene asked him that question and the way he looked back at the guy? Terrific. Oh, and speaking of Eugene, you all also love him, right? Some of his banter was priceless ("Yes, I am. I told you I was.") and he had the standout arc in this one. I won't spoil the details, but he really grew on me and I couldn't help but root for him.

Photo by Gene Page
Photo by Gene Page

You know who I couldn't root for? Gabriel. You're the worst, Gabriel. Seriously, the freaking worst. Look, I get this is him being a coward all over again. Once again, he's found himself in a safe place and he's doing what he believes he must do to make sure his safety isn't compromised. Do I hate him for what he's saying? Absolutely. It's hilariously hypocritical for him to point the finger at "Rick's people" but leave out the fact that he doesn't exactly deserve paradise, either. But hey, being a self-preserving coward is apparently his thing, so him feeling that way is understandable. (Honestly, I don't remember if that talk happened in the comic.) However, I can't help but feel like the scene wasn't needed and left us feeling an unnecessary amount of frustration. Deanna Monroe is already doubting whether Rick's group can be trusted; that was made perfectly clear in this episode. And after what just went down? She's going to be impacted in a huge way and most likely won't have a clear head. Throw in that other coward probably lying and the conflict that's brewing in the neighborhood and it seems like things are destined to blow up anyway. I'm glad we got a brief amount of insight into Gabriel in the opening scene (I feel like we haven't seen him recently), but it seems like his big scene is just putting a certain conflict on the fast track even though it was going to take big steps in the next episode anyway.

Minor criticisms: the earlier scenes in the warehouse felt like they were dragging just a bit. The sequence was meant to be tense and scary, but I just wasn't feeling it. Also, the revolving door bit had me wondering, "Okay, when is Eugene going to show up and save them?" But hey, at least they totally surprised me with what happened after that. I was so certain Aiden's buddy would be the one to die. Lastly, does it sort of bug anyone else when zombies seem totally useless right when they get their hands on a main character? Eugene's lucky that zombie went really easy on him.

The focus on Alexandria had an excellent story in the comics and thankfully, so far its story in the show is downright awesome. It's pretty much giving me everything I want from the show. Yeah, it's a bummer one person has done something amazingly frustrating (and totally not needed because things are escalating just fine), but this episode accomplished so much. Character? We get plenty of it and it's handled it a way that often shows us instead of telling us. Action and violence? We have everything from a zombie getting its head bashed in to two of the goriest scenes we've yet to see. Drama? Oh yeah, everything is about to hit the fan and you can sense all of the buildup. As if all of that wasn't enough, the episode even had a good joke or two thrown in there, too. Come on, the "now you're going to die" techno (or whatever it was) song was a good laugh.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Gabriel .... How would she feel if she knew his past.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Another brotha bites the dust.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I can't take anymore deaths this season.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#4  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

ARE YOU F'N KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?

ANother black man dead!?!?!? This is becoming a ridiculous joke.

Besides that, awesome epsiode 8.5/10. so much tension

Finally people whi keep saying "NO ACTION" every week when they are building characters/storylines can shut up.

ANd wow they should some graphic killings this week. Jesus

Can damn Carol is a total savage still.

and WHY GABRIEL WHY!?!?!?

No Caption Provided

~MiB

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Idk man, these last couple of episodes in Alexandria have been a bit boring for me.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By buttersdaman000

I wasn't even surprised when Noah died, they telegraphed it from the opening scene. Oh, you wanna be an architect?? Oh, you're taking interest in a girl?? Oh, you think you're gonna live to see old age?? Oh, you wanna keep a notebook?? You do understand you're a minor character right? Any character development is detrimental to your lifespan. Just ask T-Dawg, Beth, and the prisoners.....oh wait....lol

It's kind of annoying that he died so soon though since both Beth and Tyreese died helping this guy live. I guess they died for nothing, eh? Well, at least this opens the door for Morgan to come back.

Oh, Abraham is a boss and f*ck Gabriel. I really just wanted Maggie to blindside him and bring up his dirty past. Like, they saved the dudes life more than a few times, let him join their group and he turns on them as soon as he feels they aren't needed. I can't wait for him to die lol

Techherofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That death scene was gruesome but funny.That face he makes when the walkers slam him into the door was to funny couldn't take the rest of that scene serious. Still it was the most brutal death to date.Plus wow,how many people in the town are cowards?When the going gets tough their first instincts is to run.

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh Gabriel. Your death will be such a joyous occasion that will warm my heart.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rogueshadow  Moderator

So I guess Morgan is coming back then. Can'y have more than one main black male around. Yeah, I was thinking of SotD too.

I wish Noah hadn't pulled that bug eyes face, it was pretty stupid, though what followed was pretty damn gruesome.

Great episode though, best of this season in my opinion. I really want to see Aiden get his. Gabriel's just a sap.

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphu8414: yea I can see that for me it has been pretty calm but im expecting we get the one person who brings the storm!

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Such an excellent episode! So many awesome things happened. R.I.P. Noah. I'm glad Eugene finally stepped up and saved the day. See ya Aiden, ya douche. I wish Nicholas went with you. And I can't wait till Gabriel gets his!

Gettysburg7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gettysburg7

I am so tired of seeing people complain, "Another black man killed?"

Um....Ed, Dr. Jenner, Otis, Dale, Randall, Shane, Tomas, Michael Coleman, Warren, Merle, Jody, The Governor...all those spring to mind, and that's not even naming the women. Please, get a grip.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perfect way to build tension, next two episodes should be awesome. Rick's group is definitely taking over.

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

such a sad epidsode

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this episode, but do feel that this whole season they have been going overboard with the gore and violence to the point of it starting to become cheesy. They need to dial it back a bit.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

It's a bad idea being black in TWD, one gets munched and the other is a scumbag.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Carol is a boss. Just sayin.......

Avatar image for emperormeister734
Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

I knew Pete was bad. I can't wait to see Rick take him down. I will miss Noah, he didn't deserve that gruesome death. It was really painful to watch. R.I.P.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Excellent episode.

And damn, I think both of the deaths in this episode have been the most bloody and realistic, I don´t recall someone dying as violently as them.

Also, why the hell is Carol being such a b*tch ? There´s no need for her to be so rude with that kid.

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just begging for Glenn to straight up blow that guy's brains out execution style. I can't believe they let him live after killing Noah like that. This was probably my favorite episode all season. It's shaping up to be epic.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

Should have known that this episode would have been so gory and dark from the overly fun and enthusiastic beginning it had. It seemed almost too happy, and yet the show still managed to really surprise me. I absolutely love how well the transition from good to mind-numbingly horrible occurs. And there are so many different plot-points taking place at the same time. I mean, arriving at a safe heaven would make you think that at least a portion of the tension would have been alleviated, but nope, it's getting far worse than that.

I admire how subtly we see Ricks group take over the whole community, and say what you will about Ricks group(looking at you Gabriel, you backstabbing little worm), but they care for each other and they don't stab each other in the back, which is something you can't say about this new "paradise". Hell, I'm beginning to think that the whole place is built on spinelessness and treachery. I also like that Ricks prediction is coming true: Thous who are weak are slowly surpassed by the strong, and unless you can force yourself to overcome your cowardice, you'll die like the rest. (You could argue that Nicholas slipped away because he was a selfish backstabber, but we all know that he wouldn't last as second without the help of others.)

Speaking of overcoming one's fears, the main highlight of the episode, for me at least, was Eugene carrying out Tara while shooting zombies with a shaking hand. This wasn't only a great development, but it also provided a nice contrast to Gabriel, who, unlike Eugene, didn't redeem himself but instead descended further down into his wormhole.

Also, I'd normally be mad at Noah's death , but at the end of the day, due to brilliant execution and emotional weight, enforced by Steven Yeun fantastic performance as Glenn, it's not worth getting mad over.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so friggin angry with Noah dying! I really wanted to see him progress. He'd been such a trooper!

I was just so so pissed. Morgan please just kill them all.

This episode was amazing.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@thor_parker82 said:

Excellent episode.

And damn, I think both of the deaths in this episode have been the most bloody and realistic, I don´t recall someone dying as violently as them.

Also, why the hell is Carol being such a b*tch ? There´s no need for her to be so rude with that kid.

Think about her history with children and how tragic it has been. Because of how dark and messed up those experiences were, I'd say it's understandable why she wouldn't want to get close with another child.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@k4tzm4n said:

@thor_parker82 said:

Excellent episode.

Think about her history with children and how tragic it has been. Because of how dark and messed up those experiences were, I'd say it's understandable why she wouldn't want to get close with another child.

Well, that´s true, I didn´t think of that.