undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Whether it be to boost sales of a flagging title or just for fun, team-ups work best when the characters have some kind of chemistry and a reason to connect for a brief stint. Christos Gage, with a plot by Dan Slott, presented both in spades last issue, teaming the ultra-enthusiastic Ms. Marvel up with the veteran Spider-Man to take down a Kree operative stealing a Terrigen Misted cocoon. Kamala’s unbridled enthusiasm was infectious throughout the issue, and that’s the absolute highlight of this one as well. Her delightful freakout over not just fighting alongside Spidey, but getting to use one of his signature moves PREVIOUSLY used by he and Captain Marvel is enough to trigger a day-long grin. When it’s revealed exactly who, or what, is in the cocoon, though, alliances and allegiances are thrown into disarray and sides are switched in dramatic fashion. We also get a new look for Silk that better solidifies her as a character who’ll be sticking around, rather than just rocking the whole “webbed up in the moment” look that was starting to become less and less sustainable. We don’t get much of her, but what we do get does a great job of further building her characterization.

The pencils by Giuseppe Camuncoli carries the story forward expertly. The main part of the issue is almost entirely action from start to stop, but Camuncoli’s visuals flow easily and steadily, both creating the illusion of movement and setting things out in a way that makes them extremely easy to follow. His panel control and layouts are top-notch, and his character designs, though a little blocky, are ultimately powerful and kinetic. And speaking of masterful control: Cam Smith’s inks give every character a sense of definition and every action scene a tremendous sense of speed and impact. Another huge part of the look and feel of the book also comes from colorist Antonio Fabela. Interestingly, Cauncoli and Smith’s style lends itself to the darker more serious tone of SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN, and while Fabela also colored that, his entirely style seems to have shifted now that Parker is back in the driver’s seat. Daytime scenes are more frequent, characters look brighter and everything feels more upbeat.

We ALSO get a backup story from Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos with inks by Victor Olazaba and colors from Edgar Delgado set in Earth-982 as Spider-Girl finds herself under attack from the gargantuan, gluttonous Daemos. Things take a turn for the worse and Mayday finds herself with another heaping helping of great responsibility as she joins up with the dimension hopping Superior Spider Corps. There’s a breakneck pacing that comes from needing to tell the story in relatively few pages, and fans of the character and setting may be displeased with a couple of the developments, but I particularly enjoyed the look that Ramos brings. It’s also a great buildup for when Spider-Verse finally kicks off proper and we see all these threads come together.

The Bad

If you believe the cover, the backup is the main focus of this book and the main story is the backup when, in fact, the reverse is true. I, of course, enjoyed both stories, but one could be forgiven for not having their expectations met, especially with the passionate following Spider-Girl has.

The Verdict

Slott and Gage are clearly building to Spider-Verse, but it’s certainly not coming at the expense of the main AMAZING SPIDER-MAN title. While we might not be getting huge plot developments and high-stakes, we’re getting some great character work and, quite frankly, the dust is STILL settling from SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN’s massive shakeup, so it’s relaxing to actually have a status quo to return to. Kamala and Peter’s story is great fun to read and juxtaposes strongly against the savagery of the EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE back-up, but the two don’t clash and are both, ultimately, entertaining.

BIGGGHEADTJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i really do hope Spider-Girl (Mayday) gets her own title again

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She doesn't die does she? Them killing off Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, 1602 Spider-Man, and the armored Spider-Man, the Fantastic Five Spider-Man, and the Spider-Man where he went to the animal universe cartoon show? Sad. Please spoil it for me, does she make it?

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

I enjoyed it a lot but yeah, I would have liked to have it focused more on Spider-Girl than it did.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Dang...that ending :(

BIGGGHEADTJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BIGGGHEADTJ
Avatar image for thelaughingfish
TheLaughingFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys review this comic all the time, mix it up a little, especially since Justice League Dark has been so good lately, and hasn't been getting a lot of recognition (at least from this site).

Snipergallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was boring to me. I liked the 2nd part of the issue and the Silk parts but the Spidey and Ms Marvel team up felt filler to me.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God dammit...someone must really hate Peter/MJ relationship in the editorial level... one of the last 'happy' bastions of it now gone too...

Well at least Mayday survived so that's something. I hope that bastard dies at her hands.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Fantastic issue. That Clash reveal was so cool, and the dynamic between Spidey and Ms. Marvel was awesome. I loved him giving her advice on how to balance being a hero and school. Also, what a backup :(. Oh yeah and how the heck did Silk get that suit?

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could care less about the Ms.Marvel team-up stuff, nothing really new material-wise there. But that Mayday ending was pretty intense, and definitely pumped me up for spider-verse.

Seriously though, after spider-verse I'm probably off of Amazing. Really don't like the way Slott writes Peter and I really don't see what else is left for Peter. And I have literally read/ collected every issue of Amazing, Spectacular, Web of, etc...

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously, this is pissing me off. How does Silk already have a job when does not have any type of job experience, nor the skills required for her position?

This upsets me a lot.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Really? Because when I last read it, it was really trash. Since when did it start getting better? And what's with these comics I drop all of a sudden getting better? For example Justice League Dark, Justice League 3000, and Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt: It started getting really good after Blight (issue #30 to be specific).

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can honestly say this was the best Amazing Spider-Man issue since this new run started. The Ms. Marvel/ Spidey chemistry is great they connect very well and that battle was pretty epic. I'm glad Peter was able to hold is own physically and mentally win a battle this time around. That clash reveal was so great! Could not be happier to see that story go full circle. The art was also top notch. Mayday's story was also amazing and it actually made me excited for Spider-Verse and see her seek revenge.

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MyNameIsWill

The “Shake It Off” reference was pretty cool :)

angelskyocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By angelskyocean

Mayday!! I love Mayday!!!! And now she's in Earth-616 too??? Oh my gosh, all of my favorite characters... all in one universe???? I could kiss you, Dan.

The only bad thing is Peter Parker just died again. The guy sure seems to die a lot.

Sissel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mayday!! I love Mayday!!!! And now she's in Earth-616 too??? Oh my gosh, all of my favorite characters... all in one universe???? I could kiss you, Dan.

The only bad thing is Peter Parker just died again. The guy sure seems to die a lot.

Parker luck

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I can't even believe we're reading the same comic. This is trash. And the art...? Did no else else notice MJ looks exactly like Maria except with Red Hair? Ramos can't draw.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

CV : 5 stars

One user review : 2 stars

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My heart broke when there was only two Spider totems detected. :( Poor May and Ben. It was just heartwrenching.

AWESOME, however, when May said she would be kill Daemos. I can't wait for that!

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving this book more and more. Can't wait to see where Spider-Verse goes...

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CV : 5 stars

One user review : 2 stars

Two different opinions.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By VeganDiet

Main Story was actually fine for once. Peter got to look like a competent hero for once, and Ms. Marvel fangirling about getting to do patented Carol/Spidey maneuvers was pretty fun. Also, there wasn't any uncomfortable, creepy sex-stuff with Silk. I still don't give an iota of a damn about her, but at least she wasn't around Peter in this issue.

Horrible back-up story. Just more SHOCK VALUE/fan trolling. Mayday was written out of character and it's becoming more and more obvious that Slott is going out of his way just to piss people off now, instead of trying to write an actually good story.

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: yea, I wasn't a fan either. Dropping after spider-verse, thank god for Spider-man 2099 giving me my spider fix

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This book is definitely going down better with critics and writers than the fans....on Comic Book resources, the average rating is 8.5 out of 10 from 5 reviews so far.

For me I think both extremes, i.e. 5 or a 2 out of 10 are wrong.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@bigggheadtj: That's exactly what Marvek needs. ANOTHER spider person. Soooo many spider people.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Mezmero

Although I'm not keeping up with Amazing, I've enjoyed Edge of Spider-Verse for the most part. However I think this event has shown me that I'm not a fan of Morlun or his ilk at all. Maybe that's the point. I don't know it just seems like the threat that this group poses to spider totems is no different from any other big event in both Marvel and DC. The threat being "Oh no, nothing works!...for some reason..." It's the same thing in Future's End and Axis where that phrase applies to the main antagonist and/or opposing force. And you know I get it. It's a common practice for heroes to have their backs against the ropes for a conflict to be effective but I'm getting weary of events because of this commonality amongst the villains involved.

shadowtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Main Story was actually fine for once. Peter got to look like a competent hero for once, and Ms. Marvel fangirling about getting to do patented Carol/Spidey maneuvers was pretty fun. Also, there wasn't any uncomfortable, creepy sex-stuff with Silk. I still don't give an iota of a damn about her, but at least she wasn't around Peter in this issue.

Horrible back-up story. Just more SHOCK VALUE/fan trolling. Mayday was written out of character and it's becoming more and more obvious that Slott is going out of his way just to piss people off now, instead of trying to write an actually good story.

how is it shock value it give more depth to spiderverse story

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Wow... the M2 stuff was heart breaking... It just ruined the whole thing... M2 had a perfect happy ending...

It was literally like if you were to add another scene at the end to ANY Disney movie where every character is brutally killed and the princess is left to become full of vengeance...

Marvel should have just left it alone since the story stopped at a perfect time, and it was at least set up so they could go back to it if they ever wanted to. the fact that Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, and Silk are all getting books because there is a big demand for more female leading books kind of just also shows that they could have really easily brought M2 back for another run, but that's just be thrown in the trash.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

rollingshadow7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the main story's art and the coloring! I would not mind at all if this team drew ASM for a while or Ms. Marvel for that matter. I liked the look of Ms Marvel in the book. The main Ms. Marvel title is wonderful, and I love the ethos in it, but I wouldn't mind this beautified version of her either.