What does it mean to say that Superman fights for "the American Way"?

Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

User Lists: 0

kbroskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Avatar image for deactivated-5a937e573d769
deactivated-5a937e573d769

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Fight the librarians!

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Stormdriven

The "American Way" at the time they created it was meant to be about working hard and doing what was right no matter what anyone else thought. It was about being a good person, and helping those who needed help. It was about having hope when everything seemed hopeless.

And hope is the most important part of Superman's character.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Loading Video...

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By jumpstart55
  • From an historical perspective It was a championing of American cultural superiority primarily during the Cold War era...The statement was used by the comic writers working at the time to untimely defend democracy at a time when the whole of America felt their economic integrity and just common way of life was under attack from the Soviets..Now what the character Superman himself meant was equal opportunity and fairness for everybody...
  • Which is why i love characters like Supes and Cap becuase even when the find themselves at odds with US government or anybody else they always stick to their morals no matter what.
RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No "blacks" through the front door!

Hang a "black" get a free beer!

Who's faster my K-9 or that negro?!

"They're all thugs and monkeys!"

"That 5yr old boy was a thug!"

"It's the Muslims!"

"Those GOT DAMN Muslims!"

"On my grandpapi ain't letting no mooslim run me!"

I never see Supes fight this so he must be protecting it. You know the "American way" and all. Especially back in those classical time pieces of his earlier appearance. The same era Trump wants to take us back to.

Far from sitting on the sideline, Superman (as a hero in his universe and as a character in ours) has played an active role in redressing racial injustices. Though it was controversial at the time, Superman took on the Ku Klux Klan in his radio serial, which directly lead to a decline in the Klan's popularity and acceptance by the public, especially among the younger generation at the time.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rideaspacecowboy: yeah I saw that one time old scan of it. Doesn't change the fact that DC was still putting out racist stuff years after. Or that we never see Supes combat racism against us. Unless you're saying the only issue we "blacks" have had were all klan members? Stop while you're ahead. Even if you weren't intending to be disrespectful it still is, never see people defend antisemitism the way they do racism in America.

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never thought I'd see a picture of Landon Donovan on a comic forum hahahahah. From my understanding, the 'American Way' is the perceived common ground that all true Americans acknowledge, embodied by the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness. Life, liberty and happiness can be restricted of course, but only if the person you're restricting intends to break Federal Law or breach basic human rights.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

American exceptionalism

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shoot first, ask questions later?

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-57b89658ba257
deactivated-57b89658ba257

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personal liberty, privacy, agency and the improvement of your own life through hard work

Y'know, opposite of what Obama preaches

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The quote wasn't used in the comics for quite some time actually. There were several places it was thought to have originated The original quote from the 1941-43 Max Fleischer serial cartoons was "a never ending battle for truth and justice"

In 1948, particularly after the world, and so far as it affected many American military men after WW2, the new live action starring Kyrk Allen where Pa Kent taught young Clark to use is powers "in the interests of truth, tolerance, and justice"

It wasn't until the 1950's with the George Reeves Superman TV show where "Truth, Justice, and the American Way" became popularized. However...

It's been found in the radio archives that during the war, especially in the reruns between 42-46, the Truth, Justice, and American Way" phrase was added to the serial, basically to boost morale in the States.

So...it wasn't created to defend our lack of economic integrity or anything to do with the Soviets. It was brought back, maybe even at the time it did have something to do with what you're talking about...however, that's not what it was created for.

Avatar image for superkryptonian
superkryptonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people look way to deep into this. It's not very political and it in no way really represents any certain racist or negative message. It just simply means he stands up for the things all Americans support and what, in a perfect comic book world where men can leap tall building in a single bound, would be about. I think it just simply means he stands up for freedom, looks out for the little guy, and always does the right thing no matter what. The American Way means whatever you want it to mean, just like how Superman is however you imagine him to be.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps the title of this post was poorly worded. The article it links to assumes that whatever "the American Way" is, as an immigrant it's something which contrasts with Superman's Kryptonian heritage. The article is a historical survey on how some writers have emphasized his full assimilation, and others his non-assimilation into American culture. These follow general trends, with the former currently in vogue. Does anyone have thoughts as to those particular points?

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

White people

RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RideASpaceCowboy

@rideaspacecowboy: yeah I saw that one time old scan of it. Doesn't change the fact that DC was still putting out racist stuff years after. Or that we never see Supes combat racism against us. Unless you're saying the only issue we "blacks" have had were all klan members? Stop while you're ahead. Even if you weren't intending to be disrespectful it still is, never see people defend antisemitism the way they do racism in America.

I'm genuinely curious: if you were writing Superman, how would you have the character combat racism in America?

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_red_viper  Moderator

I think that it's because of the character's origin. Like, original origin. The late 1930's, America's Great Depression, Superman is created as a symbol for hope and justice.

His entire existance as a fictional character centres on those principles.

He's kept that mantle ever since, even if in his later years it seems less and less so.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rideaspacecowboy: depends what you're talking about, racism exists in every nook n cranny of America. Give a specific scenario.

RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nite_nite said:

@rideaspacecowboy: depends what you're talking about, racism exists in every nook n cranny of America. Give a specific scenario.

Would the story you wrote be a metaphor, with the bigotry which Superman combats not racism itself, but a reasonable analog? Would the bigotry be embodied by a villain or would it be the state of society, sans a specific face? Would you pull inspiration from any personal experiences?

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rideaspacecowboy: not being a d*** but I'm having a hard time fully grasping your response. Was it was asking me if I'd use metaphors in a story instead of actual racism?

Experiencing and dealing with racism I don't think there's metaphors to explain what I've witnessed personally. I asked you for a scenario so I could give you a clean answer. If most people are like me, they're not looking up metaphors to get around racism. In America a majority of the racism switched from the honest "out n the open", to the subtle "your hair isn't proper for this school" angle.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I'm indifferent to the phrase as it means nothing to me, nor do I think it should be a part of the character.

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never liked applying the phrase to him. He's not a symbol of hope for merely a country. He's a symbol for all of existence.