Superman is Losing His Powers

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Things keep getting worse and worse for Superman. When he got his new solar flare power in SUPERMAN #38, it appeared things could be changing in his favor. This powerful blast, while it did leave him temporarily powerless for 24 hours, it gave him quite an upgrade in a way to take out big and powerful threats. Of course he'd have to learn to control it to keep those around him safe. It was during this practice time in issue #40 that lead to the TRUTH about his secret identity coming out.

Superman's secret identity may have been exposed (or about to be exposed next month) but that's not his only problem. It appears his powers are seriously messed up, as seen in the ACTION COMICS Sneak Peek free issue.

No Caption Provided

What we saw before was Superman slowly regaining his abilities after a day. We saw him go through several tests with the Justice League. When he tried flying out his bedroom window, he discovered he couldn't fly but attested this trying to do so "too soon." He was still able to jump really really high. He stood up to some blasts from some strange high-tech weaponry but survived with some cuts and bruises.

With his inner monologue in the sneak peek, he says his powers are fading rather than simply taking time to recharge. While fighting some shadow ninjas, he holds his own but it does take some effort.

No Caption Provided

He is still Superman. He manages to complete his journey to his destination--the Fortress of Solitude.

We may not know the full extent of what is going on. It doesn't seem this is just during a 24-hour period where he needs to recharge. If that was the case, it'd be a lot smarter to wait until he's fully recharged before making the trip, especially if he's being chased by those shadow ninjas. He figures the Fortress with its access to "all the secrets of Kryptonian Science" will be able to solve his problems. Unfortunately another problem arises. This is much more serious than we realized.

No Caption Provided

The Fortress of Solitude doesn't recognize him when doing a bio-scan. It's basically saying it's not registering a Kryptonian. Even if it was just a matter of Superman being temporarily de-powered, that wouldn't affect his physiology or DNA. The Fortress is saying there's something off about him. To throw even more salt in the wound, it finishes off by reclaiming his Kryptonian clothing. Now we know why he's forced to wear jeans and a t-shirt all the time.

This could also explain why Superman is seen on a motorcycle on the cover for BATMAN/SUPERMAN #22.

No Caption Provided

There is a multi-part arc, Truth, coming up in ACTION COMICS, SUPERMAN, SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN, and BATMAN/SUPERMAN. Superman's secret identity has become public, he's lost his costume, his powers are all messed up and his physiology may be getting re-written somehow.

This definitely isn't the Superman we've been reading about for the 77 years and perhaps that's a good thing. Having a character's status quo shaken up can lead to interesting stories. We'll definitely have to see how the heck they get him out of this messy situation.

Check out our interview with Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder as we try to get to the bottom of some of the changes in Superman's life!

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By 2cool4fun

Well that is definitely a bigger story than I expected, some mystery is always nice :)

Also nice to see an actual reason to his new outfit, and not just a "because" lol

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By SaintWildcard

So exited for this arc. Just that thing Superman needs to change things up after the same old song and dance. I was absolutely disgusted with Johns after his lazy attempt at returning Clark to the Daily Planet, glad to see the writers took him out of there. Can't wait for the next Paktion Comic issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet Bruce is happy now that he can leave hickeys on Clark.

No Caption Provided

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By reactor

I am so ready for this.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I'm always excited for anything going on with Superman. But I'm much more interested in whatever is going on in Truth. Should be an interesting story arc.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Been loving Pak and Kuder on Action. The recent sneak peek got me pretty hype.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't read Superman in a while, what're the odds this is just some clone of Superman or something that doesn't know it's a clone, with the real Superman being indisposed somehow? Superior Spider-Man style, switching the two offpanel so they're indistinguishable til the reveal. As in what if this is some version of Superboy, or an off-shoot, that sort of thing? It'd explain the new power, the instability of his powers, and the bioscan coming up negative.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Pak and Kuder's Action Comics has been nothing short of amazing. I truly think its one of the more under appreciated titles out there right now.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@jonsmith said:

Haven't read Superman in a while, what're the odds this is just some clone of Superman or something that doesn't know it's a clone, with the real Superman being indisposed somehow? Superior Spider-Man style, switching the two offpanel so they're indistinguishable til the reveal. As in what if this is some version of Superboy, or an off-shoot, that sort of thing? It'd explain the new power, the instability of his powers, and the bioscan coming up negative.

I don't think so. Supergirl's series ended with her mysteriously losing her powers too, so I think something's supposed to be happening to all Kryptonians.

AriesWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did he lose his powers again?

This reminds me how it sucks that Supergirl's fortress was destroyed. Well, that little evil robot survived.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I called this when I saw that his hands were bleeding and rapped in bandages. Also Geoff Johns was qouted right after the new look reveal saying "He's going to be superman no matter what, it's who he is." so I thought this was pretty predictable.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

After Convergence, the Man of Steel is not the hero he used to be.

must...resist...New 52" crack!

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jogga

It's basicly the same thing that has been happening since Doomed.

@amazingwebhead said:After Convergence, the Man of Steel is not the hero he used to be.must...resist...New 52" crack!

I'll gladly do it for you.

*ahem*

After Convergence?

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He'll still possess super intelligence (right?), and will still be the most intelligent being on Earth, so he'll still be OP af from an intellectual standpoint.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

There is a multi-part arc, Truth, coming up in ACTION COMICS, SUPERMAN, SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN, and BATMAN/SUPERMAN. Superman's secret identity has become public, he's lost his costume, his powers are all messed up and his physiology may be getting re-written somehow...

...and now his girlfriend has to teach him to be superhuman again, like he taught her how to be human.

Devil_Driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He will get his powers back eventually but it is nice to see they are shaking it up a bit.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

meh.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

I bet Bruce is happy now that he can leave hickeys on Clark.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil_driver: rumor is that he'll go, at least, a year in the current state.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Ugh

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

" Do you bleed? You do now." XD

WELLDONE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WELLDONE

dropped. immediately.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Super Street Level Man? :p

90mv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bleh

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks and sounds really good. Excited for this.

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Yay!

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not paying for this one

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they always need to shoehorn batman

Avatar image for originalalchemist
originalalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really surprised they aren't giving him tattoos as well.

ShiZZmAhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure how I feel about this...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_stegman  Moderator
laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you sure cornell isn't writing this?

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@jogga said:

It's basicly the same thing that has been happening since Doomed.

@amazingwebhead said:After Convergence, the Man of Steel is not the hero he used to be.must...resist...New 52" crack!

I'll gladly do it for you.

*ahem*

After Convergence?

thank you :)

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By lowlaville
VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By VickBat

I saw the peek of superman..and I imagined it. His fortress not let him go? and the scooter... now that's a metahuman powers no kriptonian? lois affection betrayal of his powers?

I will give an opportunity but not out another saga ..

Will have to wait for the return of authentic Superman and his powers ...anyway. we continue to see Superman in justice league....

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Instant pick up

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

"Hey Superman ! Welcome to Marvel Comics !"

staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Still not used to seeing a powerless, cape-less Superman wearing jeans and riding a motorcycle.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Mixed feelings.

I don't care about the depowerment.

But I DO DISLIKE the crossover format.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still not used to seeing a powerless, cape-less Superman wearing jeans and riding a motorcycle.

Yeah the motorcycle part sounds awful :P But T-Shirt and jeans were done before and it was quite enjoyable.

@kramotz said:

He'll still possess super intelligence (right?), and will still be the most intelligent being on Earth, so he'll still be OP af from an intellectual standpoint.

He never displayed any particular Super-intelligence. Except when he speed-read medical books. Something Flash can also do.

But no Superman doesn't have super-intellect in the New52, if he did he wouldn't need a plethora of scientists to help him. Ex. Shay, Hiro "Toyman", Batman and more.

hwalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well...

I'm done reading Superman for a while. This kind of Superman story just doesn't interest me. "Oh noes! Superman loses his powers! ... Again."

I might care if Superman didn't do this story every so often anyway. Remember the original 52 series? Superman has no powers for a year. Now this Superman has no powers. Yadda yadda. Give me back Superman... Flying, super strong, senses, heat vision, super breath... The whole package... And stop pandering to the Batman crowd. Or you can forget me as a reader.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 13

Because of his over-the-top powers there are not as many stories to write for Superman which get people interested. For some reason the depowered Superman is one which comes up fairly frequently.

I guess for the time being then that a female character is the strongest in the Justice League? That might be the first time that this has happened.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blueecho said:

Because of his over-the-top powers there are not as many stories to write for Superman which get people interested. For some reason the depowered Superman is one which comes up fairly frequently.

I guess for the time being then that a female character is the strongest in the Justice League? That might be the first time that this has happened.

His best stories are always the ones that stay true to the character. Look at a top ten list and you will see that the Supermen in that list are all more powerful, that in-continuity Superman. All-Star, Kingdom Come, Red Son, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow etc.

Depowered Superman is as cliche at this point as evil Superman.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who would wanna read about depowered superman??

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This kind of reminds me of a much more drawn out episode of Smallville. The premise of most episodes was to de-power him to show how he could overcome the odds in other ways. But everything usually returned to normal by the end of the episode.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds interesting.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers