Logically, shouldn't Superman be more skilled?

• 77 results
SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#52  Edited By joshmightbe

What I don't get is why Superman and Batman fans can't get along. We are fans of two of comics arguably greatest heroes ever made. Why can't we just be cool with each other?

I love Batman, I just can't stand this batjesus construct his more extreme fanboys have dreamed up.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By deaditegonzo

@joshmightbe said:

@wolverine08 said:

What I don't get is why Superman and Batman fans can't get along. We are fans of two of comics arguably greatest heroes ever made. Why can't we just be cool with each other?

I love Batman, I just can't stand this batjesus construct his more extreme fanboys have dreamed up.

This, and for me (do not apply my opinion to others as it is unfair to them), I wouldnt say its the "extreme fanboys", id say it is the majority of Batfans ive encountered.

I should add, the Frank Millers of the world have brought said construct into ACTUAL comic books.
You could say that any Batman fan writing a Batman comic is writing fan fiction.—Neil Gaiman

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Wolverine008

@deaditegonzo: I get that you've had negative experiences with Batman fans, but your obstinate view that the majority of Batman fans are crazy fanboys is extremely annoying. Like I said before, they are a small minority who make up for their lack of numbers by being very loud.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By M3th

When it comes to Superman, logic always leaves. Superman can run backwards and go back in time.

Superman can move a planet. A tiny green rock can kill Superman if it is merely too close but on he then Lifts an ISLAND made out of Kryptonite. Superman is vulnerable to magic yet he whoops on a guy who's power is magic based.

Superman in reality is a reality warper. He changes reality to fit the best one for him to be Earth's Ultimate Champion.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, title of your thread is somewhat misleading.

Superman pretty skilled in medicine, building robots, working with alien tech and so on.

Now about martial arts.

Pre-52 Universe Superman were actually very skilled in fighting ( its writers who often ether forgot to display him as good combatant or simply feared that he would look overpowered or some bullshit like that). He learned from Wonder Woman and Batman, Mongul instructed him how to use his powers without restrictions in a fight, Wildcat taught him some boxing, plus let’s not forget used only several times Kryptonian Martial Arts such as Torguasm-Rao and Torguasm-Vo.

SHTR gave us some nice scans to prove this.

Can’t say for sure about New-52 Superman, but he seems to knowing some principle of boxing.

I think that martial arts can’t be self taught (unlike technical or medical skills). You need teachers, you need sparring partners, if you are Kryptonian, who learning martial arts, you need teacher on your power level. And for Superman martial arts is not as needed or effective. They are created by humans against humans, but half of Supes rogue gallery is aliens, robots, inter dimensional beings with entire different physiology. Using humans-based martial arts against them look … I don’t know, futile?

I am Superman’s fan, but I don’t see that Superman is needed superior martial skills. It’s just not in his personality. Wonder Woman has legacy of women-warriors for her, it’s part of her culture, Batman trained in martial arts, science, criminology, because unless he would start use genetic modification to power up himself , he need every edge he can get to prevail over many of his meta-rogues. Superman… If we look past his powers, his place of birth, we see that he just normal, kind, good guy who wants to help people. He basically living by principle “I can help them, so I would help “. He is not a warrior stereotype, he more of savior (at least, in my opinion).

Aaaand about “Superman is OP”. Sometimes I think people who say that know about Superman only by watching Superman the Movie. In that movie he may look somewhat overpowered, but in modern comics, cartoons, or even recent MoS… When I know about existing characters such as Sentry, Hulk (walking PIS machine), Majestic, Captain Atom, Martian Manhunter (especially current version without weakness to fire), many others and dozens of pure Big Bad Guys who stronger than Kryptonians, Superman doesn’t look overpowered in slightest. If anything, he looks weakened.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

No, because Batman fans would cry.

They would indeed,but a lot less than Superman fans/fans of other characters if Batman ever decided to become a full fledged metahuman which is also perfectly logical looking at the science of the DCU.

People were crying when he fought fodder for 28 hours imagine Batman replicating Barry's accident or getting himself a GL ring,there's gonna be an ocean of tears especially from Superman fans.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: Interesting facts in that link you posted and i agree Batman is awesome, Batgod is bulls#!t.

@deaditegonzo said:

They would indeed,but a lot less than Superman fans/fans of other characters if Batman ever decided to become a full fledged metahuman which is also perfectly logical looking at the science of the DCU.

People were crying when he fought fodder for 28 hours imagine Batman replicating Barry's accident or getting himself a GL ring,there's gonna be an ocean of tears especially from Superman fans.

Not really.....hear me out. Ironically when that 28 hour fight feat came about,batman fans were the ones who were pissed,not superfans. Half of Batman's charm is that he's human,take that away from him by giving him powers and superfans or fans of any other hero aren't gonna care,we would welcome it cause it would make the crazy stuff he does plausible,on the other hand,its a core element of batman's character that he's completely mortal and batman fans would hate that. batman being my second favorite hero, i would hate it as well,it takes away from what makes him special.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@ultimatesmfan: I feel Batman gets brought up waay too much by Superman fans,when in doubt bash Batman.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: i think it was just one line that set it off on this thread,but you say martial arts or fighting style,people automatically think batman (not even wonder woman that much),its not like superman cant fight at all, anyway i've already replied to the OP in a previous post so im content.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@deaditegonzo: Interesting facts in that link you posted and i agree Batman is awesome, Batgod is bulls#!t.

@entropy_aegis said:

@deaditegonzo said:

Not really.....hear me out. Ironically when that 28 hour fight feat came about,batman fans were the ones who were pissed,not superfans. Half of Batman's charm is that he's human,take that away from him by giving him powers and superfans or fans of any other hero aren't gonna care,we would welcome it cause it would make the crazy stuff he does plausible,on the other hand,its a core element of batman's character that he's completely mortal and batman fans would hate that. batman being my second favorite hero, i would hate it as well,it takes away from what makes him special.

Agreed with this. They have given him a GL ring too BTW - he doesn't want it. Also during that JLA issue where he and Superman switched bodies - Batman observed that with those powers he would probably because lax in other things and preferred being a normal human as it keeps him sharp, etc... They've toyed with the idea a few times and the lesson is - Batman must be human in order to keep being Batman (ok - except for that Speeding Bullet elseworlds tale, but technically he's both Bruce and Clark sooooo figure that one out). Anyway, I agree with this.

Also @wolverine08 - the hate I think stems from Frank Miller.... he created it. Prior to then as far as I knew everyone like both. They got along just fine. Also there's a jealousy factor. Superman fans believe he should be the top dog around DC not playing second fiddle to Batgod, while Batgod fanboys hate that fact that Superman came 1st. Then there's the fanboys on both sides of the fence being loud, obnoxious morons.... But you and I for example seem to be getting along just fine ;D

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Sup's got "some" skillz...

See AC Vol 2 issue 23 for more details

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Does he need it?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@wishiwassuperman:

Frank Miller did fire the first shot in the war between Superman and Batman fans. Lol. I just hope people would act smarter and not let Miller's fanboyism create dissent.

Avatar image for dtslanterncorps
DTSLanternCorps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By DTSLanternCorps

@wolverine08 said:

I ask the same question all the time, it's pretty much a lost cause. As long as writers keep making them fight, it will never be.

Kellerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imagine if Superman had a proper Dutch Muay Thai style. Imagine him using the Muay thai clinch, His knee's would be devastating.

Watch the link (from 1:06- 1:43) to know what I'm talking about when i refer to a "Muay Thai Clinch"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BstkbHV3Nn4

Kellerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Kellerman

@toplel: Id rather him use martial arts instead of tanking shots. The only things he should be tanking is energetic attacks. No-one should be able to land a hand on him since he has a very fast reaction time, almost as fast as Flash's.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@drgnx said:
No Caption Provided

Sup's got "some" skillz...

See AC Vol 2 issue 23 for more details

He looks so odd kicking like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: It's like the guys in the movies look when they can't kick high and they use weird angles to mitigate it...

Could you imagine Superman training to do the splits??? The Earth would literally split before he did....

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#71  Edited By PowerHerc

He actually should be more skilled but due to his high power-levels he generally doesn't need any high-level fighting skills.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Eternal19

I would prefer that he not know Martial arts. Superman doesn't have to be the best at everything.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@wolverine08: Dude, these are obviously Superman fanboys that cannot be reasoned with. I highly suggest you abandon thread immediately.

This, everything is always speed blitz, throw them in the sun lol. Fanboys will be fanboys.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By deaditegonzo

I would prefer that he not know Martial arts. Superman doesn't have to be the best at everything.

I like him being good at boxing and wrestling, as somebody else said.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eternal19 said:

I like him being good at boxing and wrestling, as somebody else said.

I feel the same way.

Personally whenever I think of Superman, I usually don't imagine him utilizing martial arts but rather precise earth shattering haymakers.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: As an Aquaman fan, I always try to say the same thing when it comes to Namor. But. I can't deny they tend to have an attitude I really don't like.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I guess so