Geoff Johns' just posted this on his facebook.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Is it a sign that we will gonna get the Superman everyone loves?

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

In Johns, I trust.

Drocta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

He can smile? What sorcery is this?

(Also lose the gelled-up hair plz)

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By SaintWildcard

@vinomonster said:

Is it a sign that we will gonna get the Superman everyone loves?

This was the original plan that anyone who loved MoS wanted. The journey to the icon. BvS was a major f**k up, no denying that. Only thing Johns has to do, is make them realize that's the end goal, not a change in direction. The key word is moderation, not joy. BvS lacked any sense of moderation and was just a miserable movie

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, he did mention "hope and optimism" before he went on a brief, but positive tirade about Superman. I personally LOVE this depiction of Superman, but I always saw it as a journey. MOS was his birth and chronicled his introduction. BVS was his global reception and death. JLPO will be his resurrection and rise to the pinnacle of heroism as a symbol of hope for all mankind. It's his initial trilogy. Zack and Goyer had it planned out before the former shared the plans with Terrio. Can't wait!

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to believe. I really, really do. But after everything that's happened... They have to earn it.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe he's saying "I'm sick of that douche Zack Snyder wasting an actor who has the potential to be the definitive Superman and I'm going to fix his mistakes"

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This was ALWAYS going to happen, with OR without Johns....

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, he did mention "hope and optimism" before he went on a brief, but positive tirade about Superman. I personally LOVE this depiction of Superman, but I always saw it as a journey. MOS was his birth and chronicled his introduction. BVS was his global reception and death. JLPO will be his resurrection and rise to the pinnacle of heroism as a symbol of hope for all mankind. It's his initial trilogy. Zack and Goyer had it planned out before the former shared the plans with Terrio. Can't wait!

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith said:

I want to believe. I really, really do. But after everything that's happened... They have to earn it.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 the_stegman  Moderator

Jesus people, he smiled in MOS.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By AllStarSuperman  Online

@the_stegman: smirking at one thing lois said isn't a smile. Snyder Superman is not a happy guy, he's just not, and that needs to change.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman: smirking at one thing lois said isn't a smile. Snyder Superman is not a happy guy, he's just not, and that needs to change.

He was smiling like a mofo during the flight scene.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Dude......one scene doesn't change 2 movies of being mopey, depressed, and unsure of every move you make.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_stegman  Moderator

@allstarsuperman: That's not what I'm saying, and I agree he was too Mopey in BvS. People are acting like the guy was NEVER cheery, and that's not the case.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

I think people are overreacting to a set pic.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember in Batman v Superman after Superman rescues the girl from the fire and he walks over to her mother and smiles as he handed presumably her daughter to her, that was so awesome! Wish there was more of that. Hopefully Geoff Johns will do his best to see that the future movies give us that.

I understand why most of you guys are feeling burnt, i feel the same but just straight up denying this Supes has had good smiley, happy Superman moments and characterisation is very ignorant. Especially in MOS, people turn a blind eye to a lot of that movie because of 15 mins towards the end.

@allstarsuperman: That's not what I'm saying, and I agree he was too Mopey in BvS. People are acting like the guy was NEVER cheery, and that's not the case.

This.

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatesmfan: Agreed, man. People keep saying Superman isn't happy and joyful enough are completely missing the point of his characterization in the DCEU. He is weighed down by people's perceptions of him and feels like what he's doing isn't enough. That's extremely refreshing I'd say.

And yes, I too hope that Geoff has some say in the Superman side of the franchise, even though I love what Zack did with the character. I hope he'll bring us the true Jimmy Olsen, too. All he has to do is say that that CIA agent not only used the credentials of Lois, but also someone named Jimmy Olsen. Wonder who'd direct the next Superman solo flick since Zack is going to be busy with the JL films and George Miller isn't interested...

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: Based on what?

Based on the direction that Zack Snyder was taking him on all the way back to MoS. Based on an interview where he LITERALLY said that Superman will return to the man we all know and love. Based on the fact that Snyder wanted him to DEVELOP INTO Superman, and not just automatically become him.

Gosh, it's like you people don't even pay attention....

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

DC/WB have a problem, they are reactionary. If they just make a good movie, a competently made movie then no one but ultrafans will ever complain. Smiling Supes couldn't save the last 2 Reeve movies from being turds, nobody wants movies like that or GL either. A good movie is a good movie whether it's dark or light and the same goes for bad film. Watch folks as the genuine criticism flies over their heads and they respond with another turd just with a different seasoning.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: Jeez, sorry I don't watch every damn Snyder interview.

It's certainly not something I would get from the movies since little time is spent even developing Kal as a character.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: "one scene" ? what movies did you watch? Superman was shown smiling many times, specifically when Lois was around, in BOTH movies.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By incursion2

That..that looks like...Superman??? Can it be true???

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By z3ro180
Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC/WB have a problem, they are reactionary. If they just make a good movie, a competently made movie then no one but ultrafans will ever complain. Smiling Supes couldn't save the last 2 Reeve movies from being turds, nobody wants movies like that or GL either. A good movie is a good movie whether it's dark or light and the same goes for bad film. Watch folks as the genuine criticism flies over their heads and they respond with another turd just with a different seasoning.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Please, please, Johns, keep Snyder on a tight leash and bring Superman home. It's so clear that Snyder doesn't even like Superman. The dude straight up admitted to killing him off in BVS so that Batman could lead the league. What the hell? Cavil needs material to work with and he'll deliver an awesome Superman.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just laugh when people make such erroneous comments as some of the comments above.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: Dude, we get it, you think Snyder walks on water but the harsh truth is that he has made some serious mistakes with BVS. If he hadn't the film wouldn't have had such a negative backlash from critics and people alike. This entire journey you keep referring to, is either dragging its feet or is completely stalled. There is no earthly way that it'll continue in Justice league, there's just too many characters that have to be introduced. Let's look at this way: Snyder thought he was being smart about killing Superman off and no one would get it but it wasn't a smart move. It was shocking because WHO kills off a character we barely know in his second film outing when he doesn't even make that much of a impact in his own film. Superman's death was a monumental blow in the comics to both the justice league and the world itself. His funeral wasn't a small affair, nearly every character in the DC world turned up to mourn him. Now we can never have that because Snyder jumped the gun. That and this death was just shock value. It'll mean nothing when he returns next year in Justice League and because of that we're deprived of a potential trilogy of films. Honest talk now, if and this is a monumental sized if, Snyder pulls off Justice League and it's a brilliant film, hell if it's a watchable film, I'll eat humble pie and acknowledge that I jumped the gun, hell nearly every comic fan that doesn't like BVS will. But so far it doesn't seem that way. People are excited that Johns is going to be in a Kevin Feige like role because he gets these characters without the constant need for deconstruction or forcing them into roles they don't fit in.

Lhynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By buttersdaman000

@soldierofel said:

Please, please, Johns, keep Snyder on a tight leash and bring Superman home. It's so clear that Snyder doesn't even like Superman. The dude straight up admitted to killing him off in BVS so that Batman could lead the league. What the hell? Cavil needs material to work with and he'll deliver an awesome Superman.

I don't think he doesn't like Superman. I think he likes, or is more concerned with, the concept of Superman more than the actual character. It's creeping around the corner in MoS, blatantly obvious in BvS, and confirmed by his statements about Batman leading the Justice League. Hopefully Johns can pick up the slack and elevate the actual character to where he should be.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He changed his profile picture. Big deal.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

@soldierofel said:

@petey_is_spidey: Dude, we get it, you think Snyder walks on water but the harsh truth is that he has made some serious mistakes with BVS. If he hadn't the film wouldn't have had such a negative backlash from critics and people alike. This entire journey you keep referring to, is either dragging its feet or is completely stalled. There is no earthly way that it'll continue in Justice league, there's just too many characters that have to be introduced. Let's look at this way: Snyder thought he was being smart about killing Superman off and no one would get it but it wasn't a smart move. It was shocking because WHO kills off a character we barely know in his second film outing when he doesn't even make that much of a impact in his own film. Superman's death was a monumental blow in the comics to both the justice league and the world itself. His funeral wasn't a small affair, nearly every character in the DC world turned up to mourn him. Now we can never have that because Snyder jumped the gun. That and this death was just shock value. It'll mean nothing when he returns next year in Justice League and because of that we're deprived of a potential trilogy of films. Honest talk now, if and this is a monumental sized if, Snyder pulls off Justice League and it's a brilliant film, hell if it's a watchable film, I'll eat humble pie and acknowledge that I jumped the gun, hell nearly every comic fan that doesn't like BVS will. But so far it doesn't seem that way. People are excited that Johns is going to be in a Kevin Feige like role because he gets these characters without the constant need for deconstruction or forcing them into roles they don't fit in.

He didn't make a big impact his film? He saved the world for crying out loud. He laid his life down for the human race and gave it his all so the world can live on. the majority of the see him as their savior. He has people painting his shield on the top of their roof; they built an entire statute in his honor. the Cinco de Mayo scene says it all. As he descends to the ground and lays down the girl a horde of people reach toward him, just to get a touch which paints an almost Christ-like image. Not only that but he sacrificed himself on a second occasion which sadly this time ended with death. However instead of being forgotten his death inspired even more hope in the human race and Metropolis. Just because his death had no impact on you doesn't mean its impact was meaningless.

Also to your previous comment about Snyder killing off Superman just so against Batman leave the league, that has meaning behind it. It would be absolutely boring for Superman to lead the Justice League. He's the most powerful & the most famous figure on Earth and arguably one of the most beloved. He saved Earth twice. They have monuments of him everywhere. The fact is it would have been way easier to follow Superman than Batman. Batman on the other hand is a dark, vicious, ruthless vigilante. He's killed. He's probably an alcoholic, and although he has great intentions he isn't exactly the best role model. In Justice League I guarantee you that he will be hesitant to reveal his identity to his fellow members. Lastly he's not very liked among the General Public. Unlike Superman Batman will have to work to gain their trust. The other Justice League members would hae happily fell behind Superman. Batman leading the Justice League makes for a far better story

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: Some people are hopeless, man. I knew what Zack was getting at from the start and so did many others. People like to speak as if they represent EVERYONE, when in truth, they don't. People keep saying Zack doesn't get the characters simply because he didn't portray them the way they are accustomed to seeing them. Superman has been portrayed as aggressive and gloomy before. Batman was a ruthless killer at one point in his publication. Wonder Woman has admitted to at times think lowly of Mankind. Their problem is that they want the characters' better-known personas immediately. They don't want to see any sort of arc that will allow them to grow and evolve into such icons, which is far more interesting and original; the latter being important given how long these characters have been around.

Superman is just one character that NOBODY will ever again find common ground on. He means different things for different people. He has so many versions of himself that are loved by so many people that it is impossible to appease us all. But, you, me, and many others are highly-appeased with DCEU Superman and he's definitely going to continue to prove himself interesting once more once he returns.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman smiled? What? This must be a future deleted scene.

On the real, as depressing and joyless as MoS and BvS were I think it's gonna be a minute before I jump into this one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey:

@soldierofel said:

He didn't make a big impact his film? He saved the world for crying out loud. He laid his life down for the human race and gave it his all so the world can live on. the majority of the see him as their savior. He has people painting his shield on the top of their roof; they built an entire statute in his honor. the Cinco de Mayo scene says it all. As he descends to the ground and lays down the girl a horde of people reach toward him, just to get a touch which paints an almost Christ-like image. Not only that but he sacrificed himself on a second occasion which sadly this time ended with death. However instead of being forgotten his death inspired even more hope in the human race and Metropolis. Just because his death had no impact on you doesn't mean its impact was meaningless.

Also to your previous comment about Snyder killing off Superman just so against Batman leave the league, that has meaning behind it. It would be absolutely boring for Superman to lead the Justice League. He's the most powerful & the most famous figure on Earth and arguably one of the most beloved. He saved Earth twice. They have monuments of him everywhere. The fact is it would have been way easier to follow Superman than Batman. Batman on the other hand is a dark, vicious, ruthless vigilante. He's killed. He's probably an alcoholic, and although he has great intentions he isn't exactly the best role model. In Justice League I guarantee you that he will be hesitant to reveal his identity to his fellow members. Lastly he's not very liked among the General Public. Unlike Superman Batman will have to work to gain their trust. The other Justice League members would hae happily fell behind Superman. Batman leading the Justice League makes for a far better story

Okay, I'll give you the Superman saving scene because quite frankly It was my favourite scene in the entire damn film. But the day of the dead scene was the best part because you could actually see Superman trying to smile with reassurance to crowd. But it's almost like the camera guy had change of heart and quickly panned away. 'Smiling, in a Snyder film, I don't wanna lose my job'. Everyone says that Superman had nothing to smile about but that particular scene needed it. Even with the dour tone, it would've shown how much Superman cared and enjoys helping people. The part with him floating down the people at the flood looked cool but it also looked cold. Instead of skipping to Batman, it could've shown Superman going to help. That would've added levity and given his character way more depth without him even saying anything. Superman smiles during rescues because he's involved in dire conditions to reassure the people he helps. No one wants a moody faced brute who doesn't look like he wants to be there. That's why Snyder annoys me. His lack of understanding of the character has cost parts of the Superman mythos. You may laugh but killing off Jimmy Olson in the first five minutes was a massive slap in the face. Jimmy is valid part of the Superman mythos as he connects Clark to humanity like Lois and the rest of the Daily Planet. Clark trying to stand up to Perry White about his duty to report the truth and getting shot down because 'its not 1938 anymore' was another jab at his character. It's so unbearably meta that I can imagine Snyder laughing as he directed it.

And addressing your second point: if Snyder had said it like that it would've sounded more interesting. But even then it almost confirms using the death of Superman as a damn plot device that now can't be used before. How incredible would've it been if Man of Steel got two sequels doing the death of Superman story line? We could've had that emotional scene with a developed Superman who is slowly stripped of his powers and beaten in brutal encounter. We could've had the funeral for a friend with entire Justice League but now we won't have that. Again, that goes to show that Snyder doesn't respect the Superman mythos or his character. He's much more at home with Batman and Watchman like characters. I'll say it again, if he pulls off Justice League all this will be moot. If he gives Superman room to breathe in Justice League and shows his character moving forward, I can see myself writing off MOS and BVS as teething problems. But the only way I see that happening at this point is with Johns providing input.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A smile? What an alien concept!

Although it is nice to see him express genuine emotions beyond the bland mask he's been forced to wear so far.

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All these jokes and complaints about DCEU Superman and none of them funny or fact. Here's a fact though: like it or not, Henry Cavill is staying and so is Zack Snyder. Installing Geoff as a driving force means nothing to a universe that is filmmaker driven and receives undying support from it's star. Clearly, WB doesn't see Zack as a problem. Everything concerning the DCEU's future has resulted in talks about Geoff, WB, and the upcoming Suicide Squad. Not a single peep about (or even from) Zack.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: no I would joy is also needed for a superman movie as well as hope.

Drocta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Drocta

There's no way Zack stays after Justice League Part 1 (he'll get "promoted" and then quietly leave under the cover of "moving on to other projects"). And he's only still around now because filming was already scheduled. WB didn't start shuffling things around and put a couple guys in direct charge of the DCEU because they were happy with Snyder and the reaction to BvS.

@kryptonian24 said:

. Not a single peep about (or even from) Zack.

Yeah, and the silence is deafening.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just a picture! You guys act as if anything has happened

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Kryptonian24

@drocta: Do you really believe that? It doesn't matter if filming already started. If a studio wanted to fire someone, they would have done so and hired someone else. That's what happened with Richard Donner. He had already started filming Superman II, but after being fired for falling out, he was replaced by Lester right in the middle of filming; Lester reshooting and redoing a lot of things Donner had already accomplished. For a more recent example, 2011's Moneyball film fired original director Steven Soderbergh and replaced him with Bennett Miller while he was in the process of filming it back in 2009.

If they really wanted to fire Zack, they should have done so after MOS (due to his many arguments against them such as getting rid of the trunks and having Supes kill Zod) and taken his notorious reputation into account. They had no reason to keep him around. Chris Nolan was the one who talked WB into hiring him and he left before BVS started. Clearly, WB still wants him around.

Not a single peep about (or even from) Zack.

Yeah, and the silence is deafening

Your disdain is apparent, but it doesn't change my point. People wanting Zack to go is nothing more than wishful thinking. Until I get something concrete, I'm not buying it.

Drocta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Denial is an ugly thing.

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Kryptonian24

@petey_is_spidey:

It's just a picture! You guys act as if anything has happened

Exactly. And people actually think Geoff being involved with the DCEU is an all-around good thing. Geoff has an extremely mixed reception himself. He wrote great stories like "Secret Origin" and "Throne of Atlantis", but SO many people badmouth him for "Batman: Earth One" and blame him for many failings in The New 52; his name coming up more often than Grant and Greg.

These people are so desperate to get what they want that they make a whole lot of retarded, unfounded claims prior to seeing any sort of action take place and when they see the finished product, they go nuts and won't shut up because it's not what they wanted/expected. They said BVS would solve all of MOS' "problems" and it didn't. They said BVS was going to make $1 billion and it didn't. They said BVS would begin work on ending Marvel's hotstreak and it didn't (especially since the DCEU, for now, only has two films while the MCU has thirteen and that it took the MCU five prior films during Phase 1 to reach $1 billion with the sixth). And now, they keep saying over and over and over again that Geoff is going to take care of/fix everything they felt was broken despite his own mixed reputation in comics. Seriously, what will it take get these people to learn their lesson?

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't call the MoS version of Superman the version everyone loves. Mostly because of how negative some people referred to that version.

But maybe a Superman that bridges the gap between comics and movies.

Either way. It's Johns. It could mean anything.

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: I think they meant he could become the version everyone loves. Of course, I find that unlikely. Henry's Superman can never be as campy/cornball suave as Chris'. He could be every bit as (if not even more so) charming, though. Henry does have a natural charisma to him and his performance in The Man from Uncle displayed as much on screen.