Gene Luen Yang & John Romita Jr Discuss Superman's Changes, Lois Lane's Involvement, and if the Status Quo Will Revert

• 82 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Superman is not the same as he was before. You've likely heard the news by now. Clark Kent's life has been turned upside down. After gaining a new power, it now seems they're all messed up with him possibly losing the full extent of them. If that wasn't bad enough, his secret identity has been exposed. Oh yeah, who exposed that big secret? It was none other than Lois Lane.

Gene Luen Yang is jumping on board SUPERMAN and joining John Romita Jr to tell the story in how a lot of this has happened and why. We talked to the two to find out more about this decision, what we can expect, and whether or not things will eventually return to "normal."

SUPERMAN #41
SUPERMAN #41

COMIC VINE: What will be the focus of this series and how is it similar and different from the other Superman titles?

GENE LUEN YANG: What we’re going for is making each title independent somebody could read just one title and enjoy it. But they’re also interlocking so if someone chooses to read all four books in the Superman group, they’ll get a bigger, richer picture. It’s been a challenge but I think we’re pulling it off. We’ll see.

The way this current storyline, BeforeTruth, fits in with all the other Truth stories is in the title. It happens before what happens in ACTION, before what happens in BATMAN/SUPERMAN, and before what happens in SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN. All three of those books are set in Superman’s reality. What John and I are going to do is show how we get to that new reality.

CV: Gene, which came first, you becoming the writer for this series or Superman’s powers and status quo being shaken up?

GENE: Well, John and Geoff [Johns] were already shaking up his status quo before I was even attached to the book. They already had Clark reveal his secret identity to Jimmy and they also introduced the new power, the solar flare power. It had a side effect of draining all his superpowers for 24 hours.

CV: John, how does it feel going from where Superman was before Convergence to this new direction?

JOHN ROMITA JR: I couldn’t be happier with it. Honestly, the trepidation I had about getting on the character was completely taken away with these changes. Nobody worries about Superman doing the same old same old and being too perfect, etc. This was a nice variation of that. I’m so happy that the suits, for lack of a better term, allowed us to play with it and here we are. Although Geoff is a suit and a writer at the same time. [laughs] We had an “in.” Taking this opportunity and going with it and running with it are two different things. You can take a good idea and turn it into a bad one if you don’t have talent in front of it. That’s what the writers are. That’s what Gene is. The ideas are one thing but moving them around and playing with them, the way this is going to be, is fantastic. I’m very impressed with the direction of the character now. I’m glad to have been a part of it.

CV: I know the creators on the different Superman books are working together but who exactly came up with the idea of have Superman’s secret identity exposed?

GENE: When I first started talking about the idea of writing SUPERMAN, I was invited to a bunch of different phone conferences with the writers of the other books—with Greg Pak, Aaron Kuder, Pete Tomasi, and the editor of the Superman group, Eddie Berganza. We were kind of given a mandate to shake things up. This was part of that. You hear a lot about the big corporations and these comics being a little bit conservative or not wanting to deviate too much from the norm. My experience with it, so far at least, is the exact opposite. What they really wanted was change. What they really wanted was something that would really push Superman to his limit so we could see what lies at the core of the character. So everybody that’s working on a Superman book, that’s our focus.

CV: John, what do you think of drawing Superman with the jeans and t-shirt look?

JOHN: I’m very happy with it. The restrictions in doing the costume are well known to any artist. You can only do so many changes to Superman but bringing him really down to earth is a lot of fun. Everybody will roll their eyes and say, “Here we go again. Jeans, a motorcycle and boots and a t-shirt…aw, I could do that.” Well, they’re not going to do it the way we’re going to do it. This is great. I’m really happy with this.

SUPERMAN #39
SUPERMAN #39

CV: What about the new costume you just designed?

JOHN: New costume I designed? Ha! I think I changed maybe two or three lines. [laughs] There’s a lot of people behind the way Superman looks, corporate entity-wise. It’s great. They have their input and we make some slight alterations and they okayed it. I’m not a dummy. I knew exactly going into it, how the decisions are made. That makes this new direction all the more amazing and impressive it was allowed to happen. So, okay, I’ll do whatever you want with the costume as long as we can play with the character the way we see fit. That’s exactly what happened. I’m really thrilled.

CV: From the DIVERGENCE sneak peek, a lot of people got upset with Lois Lane’s decision. Will your part in the Truth arc show why she exposed his identity?

GENE: Yeah. That’ll definitely be a huge part of our current arc. If people want to find out what her motivation were, they have to read the book.

CV: Lois has often been left out of the main stories or delegated to the sidelines. Is she going to get her chance to be in the spotlight some more?

GENE: Lois has been featured prominently in the Superman books that I read, in preparation for writing this. Like Greg Pak featured her really prominently in a storyline where both Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne lost their memories. I think one of the awesome parts about the rebooted DC Universe is we get to see who Lois is, apart from her romantic connection to Clark. We get to see that she is an amazing three-dimensional character that works well just on her own. That said, she does play a huge role in this current storyline. I really hope that fans of Lois Lane will come out, read the book, and tell us what they think.

No Caption Provided

CV: How intertwined is SUPERMAN with the other books?

GENE: What we’re hoping for is independent but interlocking. If someone just wants to read one, they should be able to with no problem. It should be an enjoyable experience. If they read all four, they’ll get a deeper, richer feel for the world we’re trying to make.

CV: Is there any turning back now that his secret is out?

JOHN: There better not be!

GENE: [laughs]

JOHN: That’s been done before where you run back and you change things. No, for the sake of being different, this is built into the character, permanently. There’s no aunt and uncle you have to worry about. His immediate family is his friends. He’s close to them. If they’re threatened, that goes with it. That’s the way it is. If you’re an undercover detective and you’re found out, your family’s in trouble. That’s the way it is! So it should not be taken back. No. That’s my humble opinion.

SUPERMAN #41 is on sale June 24. You won't want to miss it. Trust me. That's the truth!

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Oh come on now, we all know in a year Superman will make a deal with Mephisto that'll make everyone forget about his revealed identity ;)

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Oh come on now, we all know in a year Superman will make a deal with Mephisto that'll make everyone forget about his revealed identity ;)

OR he kisses everyone on the planet

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the real though, I think I'd be annoyed with them if they found some magic BS mind wipe to turn things back to normal so soon. If sales don't plummet and remain steady/increase I say keep him without a secret identity for a while. Make things interesting. maybe he does go back to the Daily Planet, IDK go nuts.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SUPERMAN #41 is on sale June 24. You won't want to miss it. Trust me. That's the truth!

Yeesh! Can you handle the Truth? would have been better.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Some people might not have been able to handle that one.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

They better have a REALLY GOOD REASON , like ''End of the world'' type reason for Lois to reveal the secret because if not... this whole charade is just an awful move and destroy any respect Lois gets. You basicly fridge her character , not physically but personally.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@lagozzino: Lol. I wanted to make the Mephisto joke, but I guess that treasure is just to obvious in this situation. :)

luciferjonez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By luciferjonez

Superman being an all powerful being in comics has always had the challenge of not being boring. Sure when he debuted it was in an age where such a thought was a fascinating concept but in this day and age? meh.

That is why batman will always be a much better read. That being said I'm actually enjoying this concept and though DC will find a way to screw it up or end it too soon I will enjoy it until then.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That art is so terrible

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VickBat

Who watches the guardians? Luthor's criticism was very normal compared to the rest...more tougher on Superman..lois is no less hard to add that in their exclusive

There seems no turning back ... but we'll always have the hope that as with Robin, things back the way they were somehow..Lois fans do not expect to return with Superman .. She herself has annoyed that erasing Clark.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By 2cool4fun

So if someone only read this book, that could be enough? No need to read the other 3?@squalleon@lvenger This might be perfect for you 2 c:

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

So if someone only read this book, that could be enough? No need to read the other 3?@squalleon@lvenger This might be perfect for you 2 c:

They said the same for Action Comics but even that is referencing other stories. To make it simple, if you want the complete story you must get all titles. If you want just how the id was revealed you get Superman, if you want the story after the reveal you get AC.

Personally I am considering dropping this book due to Romita's comments on another interview. Trust his ideas are awful.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By Zeeguy91

@saintwildcard: 100% agreed. I personally hope they keep this change for at least a few years. I honestly can't wait for Superman #41.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHY Romita on art??? WHHHHHHYYYYY!!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because "Truth" is ending it doesn't mean Superman will go back to the SID. It only means that part 1 of a bigger arc is ending.

I just hope they fix the awfull things they have done to Lois and Superman to get his powers an looks back, because this grown-up Superboy looks awful.

ZackSnyderBvS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luciferjonez: Funny how stories that infact portray Superman as an all powerful god (All-Star Superman, Kingdom Come etc.) are often considered to be the best Superman stories of all time and must reads for any comicbook fan

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luciferjonez: Funny how stories that infact portray Superman as an all powerful god (All-Star Superman, Kingdom Come etc.) are often considered to be the best Superman stories of all time and must reads for any comicbook fan

Finally, someone except me who sees it.

So Zack, if you know that why didn't you implemented it on MoS :P

SamRF_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've read all new 52 action comics and justice league comics, is it a problem to just hop in now, start reading Superman from issue #41 ? Or is it really recommended to start at the beginning ?

theamazingmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luciferjonez: Batman was a better read because it was better written. There have been some very good Superman stories that didn't deal with 'Bringing Him Down to Earth', but I agree with you on him being a boring character on the whole. Thats an opinion though, and some people like Superman more than Batman, though now I couldn't say since the current version is NOT Superman.

luciferjonez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingmann: Don't get me wrong, there have been great superman stories over the years Superman for all seasons number 1 brought tears to my eyes it was so touching. But when a character is created to be all powerful (i.e.: superman, apollo, the sentry, blue marvel, hulk (earlier stuff), etc..) things tend to get dull fast and comic companies tend to reach with outlandish ill conceived villains and silly stunts to keep it fresh. I would love to see the current status of heroes in the team up books: renegade jordan, robo batman, de-powered superman… and have a book of heroes trying to do the same job with less abilities. I think that would be a better read than what DC gave us for JLA #1.

That being said, the multiple deaths/replacements of Batman is getting tired, but the writing is good on this new go round and since jim gordon (who is now is his mid 40's? so barbara is 13? weak move on DC's part) has gained popularity in part thanks to gotham I'm interested in how this will play out.

luciferjonez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zacksnyderbvs: True but look at who wrote those books Zack. Batman is and probably always will be a better book because it involves a lot more thinking on the part of the writer to have the character live up to it's "world's greatest detective" moniker.

batarangbamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By batarangbamz

@samrf_: No it shouldn't be. I started during the Doomed cross-over. The previous Geoff Jonns arc shows how he got his power and why he told Jimmy his secret but this arc needs no background information besides the FCBD story.

SamRF_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By veronicacris

@luciferjonez said:

Superman being an all powerful being in comics has always had the challenge of not being boring. Sure when he debuted it was in an age where such a thought was a fascinating concept but in this day and age? meh.

That is why batman will always be a much better read. That being said I'm actually enjoying this concept and though DC will find a way to screw it up or end it too soon I will enjoy it until then.

Now superman acts like batman on comics, DC really listened to you

@samrf_ said:

I've read all new 52 action comics and justice league comics, is it a problem to just hop in now, start reading Superman from issue #41 ? Or is it really recommended to start at the beginning ?

Maybe read Morrison run on action comics that serves as a origin story for new 52

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I can't wait to read, it still blows my mind even now that we have the John Romita Jr. drawing Superman. Throw in Gene Luen Yang and it just becomes even more insane. In short, I can't wait to read.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I can maybe forgive the costume since he's still acting like Superman should and not a roided out muscle boy but please for the love of all that is holy give him back his powers. Don't listen to those that keep saying he's boring because in all honesty [and no offence to those people] they don't know what they're talking about. And stop comparing him to batman. If Batman can take down Darkseid with 2 minutes prep and his hands tied behind his back then Superman can afford to be able to fly and lift a planet. Sheesh. Rant over.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Also this infuriates me to no end.

No Caption Provided

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm well be nice to see Lois really stand on her own and actually do her job without the bias of she wants to get into Superman's tights that is why she often holds her hand. I never had that much care for Lois as a reporter as she always seemed a cape chaser and hr whole career built on a guy she dates and eventually marries but she tries to influence the public. That is some bad ethics there. So lets see what these guys can do. Clark himself needs to walk the walk. Dude has it both ways for a long time.

luciferjonez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veronicacris: Ha if that's the case then maybe they can get their continuity in order or better yet stop filling the books with 4-6 pages of self promoting ads and give us more comic. I could care less about the creator's thoughts and visions.

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm well be nice to see Lois really stand on her own and actually do her job without the bias of she wants to get into Superman's tights that is why she often holds her hand. I never had that much care for Lois as a reporter as she always seemed a cape chaser and hr whole career built on a guy she dates and eventually marries but she tries to influence the public. That is some bad ethics there. So lets see what these guys can do. Clark himself needs to walk the walk. Dude has it both ways for a long time.

dude you know zero about ethics on journalism, u have no idea what is lois job

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By johnqestion

@veronicacris said:
@johnqestion said:

I know full well what she did before was not ethical and neither Clark for that matter. Even JMS who writing Earth one said Lois should not be gaga for Superman if she is to write unbiased about it and he is a reporter. You can bury your head in the sand for your silly shipping but no journalist worth her/his salt would be so foolish as to just brush the story of the century aside given that Superman is not just some A list celeb. This is a force that can change the world and as we see from some stories Lois herself not around and the dude goes crazy and f's with the world because apparently one woman's existence is required for his sanity and morality. I don't make the dumb troupes, DC did them. It makes her unethical and full of double standards. She was quick to out Shazam in Future's End because of story and only because she had no feelings for him. Which makes her hiding for Superman worse. It means Lois picks and chooses who she outs, based on who she wants to sleep with? Because she was flirting with Superman in Future's End the minute he came back. Bet your bottom dollar if the alien was some creature who doesn't look like a hot Caucasian dude hiding among the DP, some Lois fans wouldn't bat an eye lid. I also know no serious journalist asks a subject the color of her panties in an interview. But Lois does. It's cute back then in the movie, but under examination it really is not cute. Would we have liked that if a male journalist asked a female hero that question? DC never gave any thought to the morals and ethics behind good journalism but they want to set Lois and even Clark as moral watch dogs for society. In the modern world the public is way more demanding of truth. Just look around you. Superman's mythos never kept up with the changes at all.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@luciferjonez: World greatest detective? It has been a while since I read a Batman comic but often all Batman need do to solve a crime or a question is touch his magic insta fix computer and all the information is spoonfed him.

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veronicacris said:
@johnqestion said:

I know full well what she did before was not ethical and neither Clark for that matter. Even JMS who writing Earth one said Lois should not be gaga for Superman if she is to write unbiased about it and he is a reporter. You can bury your head in the sand for your silly shipping but no journalist worth her/his salt would be so foolish as to just brush the story of the century aside given that Superman is not just some A list celeb. This is a force that can change the world and as we see from some stories Lois herself not around and the dude goes crazy and f's with the world because apparently one woman's existence is required for his sanity and morality. I don't make the dumb troupes, DC did them. It makes her unethical and full of double standards. She was quick to out Shazam in Future's End because of story and only because she had no feelings for him. Which makes her hiding for Superman worse. It means Lois picks and chooses who she outs, based on who she wants to sleep with? Because she was flirting with Superman in Future's End the minute he came back. Bet your bottom dollar if the alien was some creature who doesn't look like a hot Caucasian dude hiding among the DP, some Lois fans wouldn't bat an eye lid. I also know no serious journalist asks a subject the color of her panties in an interview. But Lois does. It's cute back then in the movie, but under examination it really is not cute. Would we have liked that if a male journalist asked a female hero that question? DC never gave any thought to the morals and ethics behind good journalism but they want to set Lois and even Clark as moral watch dogs for society. In the modern world the public is way more demanding of truth. Just look around you. Superman's mythos never kept up with the changes at all.

Lois was never gaga over clark, and fans critic her because of that.

the thing is not ethic, wake up!!! Lois is a very ethic person, she would never do something that is not ethic just to gain fame and money. she is not on journalism to be a celebrity. Anyway i see many journalist not reporting things because it is against their employers views.

Lois didn't out Shazam, she just said Superman was Shazam. Billy secret identitywas protected, the people had the right to learn that superman wasn't among them.

it's cute on movie and outside of it, because it is the right thing to do. Now if superman was a villain, you would have a big point. check superior Iron man

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@lagozzino said:

OR he kisses everyone on the planet

And if that doesn't work...

Loading Video...

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The key characteristic to the stories you mentioned, and the stories considered to be the best is how Superman's personality is handled and how he is portrayed. Not his power levels.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By dernman
WELLDONE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luciferjonez: stories where superman is at his most powerful are the most critically acclaimed and must reads. but you dont read superman so you dont know

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mark_Stephen

GENE: Yeah. That’ll definitely be a huge part of our current arc. If people want to find out what her motivation were, they have to read the book.

Not really. All I have to do is read the reviews and the scans as I've no desire to see Lois's character destroyed any further. We've been down this road with Zatanna, they do a big shocking storyline and then have no idea what to do afterwards. There is no real reason that I can come up with for Lois to ruin a mans life like this, to put his friends (which should include the people in the office and herself) in jeopardy other than they wanted a big dramatic spike to the story. Like marvel with the Scarlet Witch I doubt they have clue one on how to really deal with this. For myself I am damn tired of characters being thrown into a tar pit because the writers want to have some fun.

ZackSnyderBvS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zacksnyderbvs said:

Hey, don't blame me for it. Blame @therealdavidsgoyer. Last time they gave me the opportunity to write a screenplay, "Sucker Punch" happened....So the dorks at WB decided to give the job the the guy they trusted the most...

Avatar image for therealdavidsgoyer
TheRealDavidSGoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zacksnyderbvs said:
@squalleon said:
@zacksnyderbvs said:

Hey, don't blame me for it. Blame @therealdavidsgoyer. Last time they gave me the opportunity to write a screenplay, "Sucker Punch" happened....So the dorks at WB decided to give the job the the guy they trusted the most...

Hey f*ck you, dude.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@squalleon: Funny how I see some of the same people who complain about Superman being overpowered yet are cheering over a Martian Manhunter series being put out.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@squalleon: Funny how I see some of the same people who complain about Superman being overpowered yet are cheering over a Martian Manhunter series being put out.

How right you are. It just makes their silly reasons all the more visible.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2cool4fun said:

They said the same for Action Comics but even that is referencing other stories. To make it simple, if you want the complete story you must get all titles. If you want just how the id was revealed you get Superman, if you want the story after the reveal you get AC.

Personally I am considering dropping this book due to Romita's comments on another interview. Trust his ideas are awful.

Funny. I've never had a reason to pick up Superman. I've always been an Action Comics guy.

Good to hear I won't have much to deal with from all of Truth. I can't deal with Romita right now. It honestly feels like he doesn't even care that much about the character, not even thinking back on his other interview.

I can maybe forgive the costume since he's still acting like Superman should and not a roided out muscle boy but please for the love of all that is holy give him back his powers. Don't listen to those that keep saying he's boring because in all honesty [and no offence to those people] they don't know what they're talking about. And stop comparing him to batman. If Batman can take down Darkseid with 2 minutes prep and his hands tied behind his back then Superman can afford to be able to fly and lift a planet. Sheesh. Rant over.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Also this infuriates me to no end.

No Caption Provided

Don't waste your time. Romita is one of those people. It's clear he'd much rather be working on a Batman title anyway.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just wish the superman/wonder women stayed in its own world and no Lois what so ever.

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just wish the superman/wonder women stayed in its own world and no Lois what so ever.

I just wish superman/ww would end, so the lois bashing would end and WW could be aindependent character and date whoever she wants

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr said:

I just wish superman/ww would end, so the lois bashing would end and WW could be aindependent character and date whoever she wants

its a book really they can write another story. She can date whom ever in that story that the writer wants her to date. In the superman/wonder women book it makes sense that they stay together. In the Lois/superman book well that would make sense to , in the justice League well they all date each other. I mean hell one great big family.

Plus it is a character in a comic. They do not get a choice.. far as I know. hmmm

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veronicacris said:
@arthurkerr said:

its a book really they can write another story. She can date whom ever in that story that the writer wants her to date. In the superman/wonder women book it makes sense that they stay together. In the Lois/superman book well that would make sense to , in the justice League well they all date each other. I mean hell one great big family.

Plus it is a character in a comic. They do not get a choice.. far as I know. hmmm

Same with their personalities. You just bashed Lois on another thread when her doing this reveal thing is is the same.