inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Coming out of the last arc, Superman gets help from the Justice League to help figure out what's going on with his new solar flare powers.

The first half of this book shows a lot of promise, when Superman and the Justice League are working together to figure everything they can about Clark's new power. If you've read the last arc, you're going to want to learn more about what's going on with him, and we get a little bit of that before the book takes a turn.

The art team of John Romita Jr, Klaus Janson, and Dean White do a solid job on this issue and there are some fantastic, stand-out pages. The opening two pages is pretty fantastic and as the issue goes on, there are some great moments of Superman testing out his powers. Janson and Romita work insanely well together and White gives the book a nice pop.

The Bad

These characters feel very flat. Their dialogue is interchangeable and those elements of their personalities that fans fell in love with is simply not here. Although it's Kal, Bruce, Barry, Arthur, and Diana drinking at a bar, it could be anyone.

Continuing on with the dialogue, Superman talks to himself quite a bit and it has a very dated feel to it. Every moment we see he's describing, which is frustrating because John Romita Jr is more than capable of showing us what's going on. Show us. Don't tell us. SUPERMAN #40 wants to do both, apparently.

Dialogue aside, the second half of the book is rough. From the dinner scene to the Superman hungover scene to that final battle Superman has with those crooks, the book simply isn't interesting. It starts to show a lot of promise and it simply fails to deliver in the end.

Tonally, this is supposed to be a fun book, as that is how Romita Jr presents it but it really misses the mark. The quips between Justice Leaguers don't hit their mark. Romita tries to build a friendship between these heroes here, but it feels forced and completely out of character.

The Verdict

As a whole, the idea for the issue, along the lines of Superman trying to understand his new powers and getting help from the Justice League, shows a great amount of promise. The problem is that the execution isn't there. These characters don't have their essence here and having the Justice League trying to bond over beers feels really forced. The art team does some great work, but the dialogue and second half of the book simply do not work.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Dang, I know artists aren't usually very good writers, but I at least had some expectations for Mr. Romita

I'll probably pick this up anyways though

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I can get this book for free...pass

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#3 inferiorego  Staff

Dang, I know artists aren't usually very good writers, but I at least had some expectations for Mr. Romita

I'll probably pick this up anyways though

I hoped it would be great because JMJr has worked on the book for a while and knows the character. Heck, it was even on my essentials this week.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like the jokes in the book .We all know the league would not hang like that but it was nice to see.

Batman does not joke around that much.

Still hate his art.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This title just can't seem to catch a solid break. Maybe the new writer will be an improvement.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This arc is off to a bad start.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

It was too flat. It feels like the story could have been told in 5 pages tops. The way every character was written was boring, seriously everyone in the justice league had the same personality. The only good that came out of this issue was the fact that it leads into the new arc Truths.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: I'm not all that sure it will happen, because even the new writer has been dealt a bad hand. They have to follow a new status quo/ story line of "the Truth" and I will be perfectly honest after reading the FCBD issue I have a feeling a lot of people will jump ship.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this was hilarious

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't this bad, i liked this issue a lot. Dialogues and humor was the best part of this issue and art was really good. It was a good start to the more grounded Superman we'll see post convergence.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't too bad in my opinion. The drinking scene though was weird. You'd think Super had a little more self control than that.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, I would understan 3 stars, but 2!? Come on, it wasn't that bad....

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By buttersdaman000

@fuzzylittlerodent said:

Ok, I would understan 3 stars, but 2!? Come on, it wasn't that bad....

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

2 stars ouch

~MiB

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc: I am not sure how "Truth" is going to play out but I am looking forward to it. It must sucks to be a writer then find out your first story is going to be part of a crossover.

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Golden Cod

This cover should be recycled for a vampire story.

Superman: "You can't hide from dem UV rays now b!*&@es!"

BubbaDuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BubbaDuke

I would have preferred this story be condensed and made into a backup than what we got for $4

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was the last new 52 comic alpabetically, what a weak note to go out on

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc: is it out? I thought it was a May release?

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BR_Havoc

@superguy1591: Yes it comes out this weekend but I have read mine about a week early perks of working at a comic shop.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: I have very missed feelings about "the truth". I hate the idea of brooding Superman, and now this storyline seems to want to cut out Clark Kent making Superman publicly known and he will just become Kal-El problem with that, is he has no ties to humanity anymore, Lois is not even his friend, His parents are dead and he is dating another super powered misfit. What makes Superman, super is his ties to humanity, So I fear without them he is going to be a dull depressing character that they want to be grounded and gritty, Which worked so well the last time DC tired that -_-

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By johnqestion

I thought it was a fun one shot and we need to see more of the League just hanging. Read a hell of a lot better than some Convergence One shots ...now those bks are old writing.

Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
Starscream_Vs_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually liked the JL hanging out like they were it was something different. Something that isn't often seen as far as the JL is concerned. Batman getting in some of the best jokes was surprising, but, Wonder Woman's face trying to get a good peek at Superman's um... Super Junk was funny. I really think that part of the JL's personality's not coming through isn't really JRJr's fault. He doesn't know the character's that well. Oh sure you can research the character's all you want but if you really haven't had any time with character's like Geoff has then yeah they might come off as flat. That is my interpretation of it.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: i think i might drop it til the new writer,cause Johns just made me love the title,but this did not jell with me at all.

Michael_Moran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a fan of Romina in general

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

This was NOT a 2 star issue. It was fun, and had good art. Was it a masterpiece? Hell no. But it didnt really have to be. The art wasnt Romita at his best, and the writing was a little cluncky, but at WORST it was a 3 star book.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dang, 2 stars? That's pretty harsh, it wasn't like it was horrific or anything

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really enjoyed the slice of life stuff with Clark. It was a nice change of pace from OH MY GOD world is ending all the time.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was a fun one shot and we need to see more of the League just hanging. Read a hell of a lot better than some Convergence One shots ...now those bks are old writing.

JV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Sorry, I must of have missed it. Is Superman getting a new writer and Romita filling in for the meantime?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@jv said:

Sorry, I must of have missed it. Is Superman getting a new writer and Romita filling in for the meantime?

Yes. June will have a new writer and Romita wrote this single issue.

JV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just read the issue and I thought it was fun and interesting especially for an issue between story arcs

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jasoninthewoods

DC find new writers like Scott Snyder ,and put them on your flagship books.

And the art doesn't cut it either.

This is getting ridiculous now.

sehroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leave DC Romita! >(

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It was fine. I appreciated that he tried to show the "Super Friends," he just didn't do it very well, or with respect to the characters.

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unbelievelable how it's not even "well he's capable of good art, he's just rushed/lazy/hit-and-miss now"; with Romita now it's "he's the biggest hack! Fire him!". Not that people aren't entitled to their opinions, I'm just really surprised.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a fun issue! Of course comic vine didn't like it, smh. So much hate, I don't get it. Whatever, more great superman books for me.

Agent_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@noj: absolutely agree. This is a very harsh review. It was a refreshing change of pace and a great single issue.

Agent_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@jasoninthewoods: There is no one like Scott Snyder, unfortunately for us and DC.

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By phocracker

I've enjoyed the latest Superman arc, it's refreshing, not amazing, but refreshing, as has #40 been.

Hanson724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this and would have give it at least a 3 if not 3.5. It was a good filler issue.